• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dpunk3

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts, USA
Like I said, it's not about being friendly. But if you open a conversation your way, the person you're going off on may not want to keep talking to you.

I'd probably say, yeah, I don't need this from you right now, fuck off and suck my my dick from the back. Which would be perfectly reasonable considering what you opened with. Congrats, that accomplished nothing.
I'd say better for her to not talk to him at all than be an outright bitch, but what do I know.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not sit her down with the whole family and give her a reality check? Else just cut her out and stop inviting her to family events. If your mom has a problem with it then just tell her it's you or your sister who won't show up.

When you're an adult it makes no sense to put up with family members who are shit. I don't believe in putting up with it to make your parents happy either.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it upsets you that much you need to take a minor stand

1 -next time it upsets you, get angry instead of anything else, and call it out. Let yourself get a little angry - this is actually healthy (in moderation). See how she handles it, be ready to let it slide. I mean literally just like "can you not speak over me like that?".

2 - The next time after that, walk out if she does it. With just an assertive "all right, I'm out", stand up and leave, no matter how impolite.

From then, avoid all contact until she asks about it and you can maturely, assertively explain that she doesn't respect you at all.

that has to be your line - she isn't respecting you. Because that's what she's doing.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Ignore her, avoid her and don't do stuff she asks you to do and just be by yourself and if she asks why tell her to speak properly or you won't be speaking to her. At one point she will get pissed off and try to control her behaviour to make it up to you to a reasonable level.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Have you talked to your mother? Like a proper adult talk that doesn't come off as "kids are fighting again" thing that happens with family?

I find sometimes people treat living at home as an adult too similar to living at home as a child. Those who don't step up into an adult role in the house sometimes make it difficult to take them seriously. I have seen friends get a similar treatment from family who felt they were stagnating and not growing up at home but also didn't have the heart to confront them and kick them out or other complicated reasons. The sibling who had moved out was in a better position to come home and stir the pot because ultimately he can drop some bombs and leave where as if the parents had started the issue there would be discord in the house. The aim was to try and get my friend to self evaluate and pick his life up a bit and the mastermind behind the whole thing was actually the mum who would worry about him but also didn't know how to approach. She talked about her concerns, annoyances and disappointments with the older sibling. When the older sibling came home to visit he did have a bad impression of my friend fueled by all the ranting from the parents behind the scenes over time.

I'm not saying the above is your scenario but this one bit
and then criticises me cos because nothing is up to her standards, and suggestions that she do things herself mainly just come with 'well you don't do much else do you'
Gives off a similar vibe to what my friend was like. He was just not used to doing house hold stuff and was overly reliant on his parents for even things like washing the dishes making him more of a nuisance in the kitchen because he was clumsy and unfamiliar or outright didn't know how to wash certain things.

Any ways. None of this makes the way your sister is behaving excuseable. If you have your shit together confronting her should be easy despite being unpleasant it is probably the better thing to do in order to find the root of the problem. Otherwise just avoid her and probably let your family know too. Sometimes siblings don't get along and it is for the better. Sometimes sibling fight and it gets real ugly before it gets better.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Gotta agree with those saying to just cut her out of your life and interact with her as little as possible. Try to avoid being in the same room if you can while she's there. Taking a stand with a person like this is a complete waste of energy. Don't bother.

God she sounds awful. One of those threads where you do a double take when you find out how old the people involved are. Based on the op alone I never would have guessed we are talking about a fucking 32 year old grown ass person

Oct 28, 2017
I said to her 'Kate, I think you talk to me proper bad and I'm not being funny but if you carry on acting like that I'm gonna be real pissed off with you so could you not please'

And she said 'I didn't ask for comments on my life from the peanut gallery thanks' so I guess I'll just have to avoid her?
And block her on any social media platforms you both use. Coping with having to interact with toxic family members and dwelling upon them or their actions isn't worth your time and mental health. My dad straddles along the same line as your sister seems to, and I wish I had dissociated myself from him many years earlier.

Do you have anyone close to confide in irl/outside this forum?

Sorry your sister's a complete twat. Good luck. :(

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
And block her on any social media platforms you both use. Coping with having to interact with toxic family members and dwelling upon them or their actions isn't worth your time and mental health. My dad straddles along the same line as your sister seems to, and I wish I had dissociated myself from him many years earlier.

Do you have anyone close to confide in irl/outside this forum?

Sorry your sister's a complete twat. Good luck. :(
I blocked her a while ago, but thats just been another thing for her to have a go at.

It's kinda nice in a way to be like, not having to think about seeing her much again for a while. Like my mum will be pissed off, but like, I was very polite, the ball is in her court now.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I said to her 'Kate, I think you talk to me proper bad and I'm not being funny but if you carry on acting like that I'm gonna be real pissed off with you so could you not please'

And she said 'I didn't ask for comments on my life from the peanut gallery thanks' so I guess I'll just have to avoid her?

No offense mate, but you gotta be more aggresive. From what I've read of your posts she's not interested in discussing or considering your feelings on the matter.

You need to be shouting it at her next time she speaks to you like that. Be aggresive. That's completely unacceptable how she talks to you.

Also ignore what people are saying about being civil. She will not respect that.

Deleted member 20296

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont really understand Posts like these.

She sounds awful and you don't live with her so distance yourself from her and politely ignore and/or distance yourself from her actively in all conversations and the problem is solved. Unless you like the drama of being the passive person in this shit relationship

You don't have to love your family just because you were born at similar times and have blood in common

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same thing but with my mom. Tired of her and sick of her shit, also im the black sheep of the family. I have two degress worked my ass off for them, eventually doing a masters, my bro got all the breaks from my parents and money to go to post secondary education. And my parents think less of me than him, somehow him being the first born he is the automatic golden child and the amount of neglect and bullshit I had to deal woth growing up especially while suffering a mental illness pisses me off. Problem is I cant tell her how it is be ause dad will get pissed at me, she will also deny it and then they both will just give me attitude. I dont like seeing her since i moved out yet she tries to force me to see her, i dont want to or care to please fuck off.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
She sounds like a remarkably unpleasant and toxic person. Do you live with her? If you don't, I'd just suggest cutting her out of your life entirely.
Let's not go overboard a lot of people will take advantage of you without thinking about it but they may not be a bad person .... if you talk to her and she still acts like a bitch then call her a cunt lol

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
My sister is a lot like yours. I haven't spoken to her in 3 years and have never been happier. Just don't talk to her, sooner or later she'll grow up and you'll be able to reconnect with her.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I blocked her a while ago, but thats just been another thing for her to have a go at.

It's kinda nice in a way to be like, not having to think about seeing her much again for a while. Like my mum will be pissed off, but like, I was very polite, the ball is in her court now.

Just think, you could feel that way all the time!

My sister is a lot like yours. I haven't spoken to her in 3 years and have never been happier. Just don't talk to her, sooner or later she'll grow up and you'll be able to reconnect with her.

See. Be like Jack.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is blowing my mind.

You have to be assertive in life. I'm not saying to act like some incel-god-Chad, but if somebody is disrespectful it's perfectly okay to let them know.

And if they continue their behaviour cut their toxic shit out of your life.

Oct 26, 2017
Beyond all the advice that was already given I'd like to suggest that you have a talk with your mother and explain to her, as an adult, that things have been this way far too long and from now on you will not be tolerating your sister's behavior.

Explain to your mom, calmly but assertively, that you've given it a lot of thought and you're sorry if this will make her feel uncomfortable but you are tired of your sister's abuse and do not deserve to be treated this way by her any longer.

It's very important to have this conversation during a quiet moment, free from the influence of any particular incident between the three of you, so that the next time there's a fight - and the situation is more heated - you be able to bring up this conversation as rational, well thought out, justification for your new behavior.

It will probably take longer than you'd like for everyone to adjust to your new attitude but you must stick to it and not agree to compromise your wellbeing.

Oct 25, 2017
Best way to handle people like this is to react to the actual activity that is the problem, instead of having a "talk" or "intervention."

Nasty to you -> "Don't talk to me like that"

Tells you to do something -> "No"

Complains about what you just cooked or fetched for her -> Take it away and leave

Continuously being terrible -> "Yeah okay enough abuse for one day," just get up and leave the room

None of this is really a conflict as much as a simple in-the-moment line that has been crossed, and you can deal with each case in small ways.

As far as mom is concerned, just say very plainly that your lines were crossed and that people have to earn respect. "Mom, I don't deserve the way she treats me. I will not play nice next time."

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
She's a cunt. Tell her this.
Everyone, we understand that the connotations of the word vary wildly by country, but there are other words you can use to describe terrible people. Out of consideration for those who live in places where it's highly offensive to refer to women like this, please try to use different language.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're an adult, you don't have to deal with her. Cut her out.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Record her being an asshole and post it to YouTube. Publicly humiliate her and let everyone she knows what a toxic asshole she is.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I think you should concentrate on financial independence so that you can choose whether or not you need to interact with this person. It did wonders for my relationship with my own domineering sister.

kneePat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inappropriate behaviour towards an admin post. Account still in junior phase.
Everyone, we understand that the connotations of the word vary wildly by country, but there are other words you can use to describe terrible people. Out of consideration for those who live in places where it's highly offensive to refer to women like this, please try to use different language.

lol, what the fuck is this? Sarcasm, right?

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
My mother stops talking to me for years, Im not invited to family gatherings. Sometime I wonder who would I be if I grow up in a caring loving family.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring mod post, history of infractions.
Stand up to her dude. She sees you as a weak little brother that she can slap around. If REALLY standing up for yourself doesn't work, then she is just a cunt (I can say this word no? or are dick or asshole and words like that banned too here?). And then it's time to just ignore her.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I have this same exact problem but with my mom.
I know how you feel op.
i just avoid her as much as i can. its not worth dealing with

Oct 27, 2017
Idiots saying 'cut her out of your life completely' don't realise just how damaging that can be to your own wellbeing.

However difficult it could turn out in the short term, I would 'tackle' it directly with her.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stand up for yourself. Why let anyone speak to you like that? Have some self respect and stand up to her whenever she speaks to you like that.

"Cut her out of your life" is almost a meme from GAF/here now. People seriously suggesting this, you must run away from every problem you ever have. Cut your family off forever because you don't like them is the most childish reaction to a problem I've ever heard.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
I'm 25, she's two months off 32.

She doesn't thankfully, she's down for the weekend.

And if I called her a cunt, my mum would be pissed off at me, and I don't like to piss anyone off. She has a really bad relationship with her siblings and sort of insists on a strange harmony between all of us and gets pissed off if any of us start an argument with the other. Although she does agree she talks to me very badly and does speak up for me when she's going on.

Move out.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Being aggressive back and calling her names is bad advice. It's so easy to say 'just beat that bully up!' from the comfort of your own couch isn't it?
From all accounts it seems like shes louder, more confident, more quick witted, and in a way better position than you because if she ever pushes everyone too far she can just fuck off back to her own house and you don't have that luxury. You can't win by rising to her provocations.

My advice would be to make up your mind that she doesn't treat you well enough to be on friendly or 'familial' terms. And you must train yourself to remember that you don't deserve to be treated with such disrespect. Call her out when she interrupts you or makes nasty remarks in front of others. She will probably double down and you'll have to say "well if i'm not getting any respect here than I guess i'm out" and go play videogames, call a real friend, or something. Make yourself happy. The rest of the family are gonna have to start having your back a little better if they want you to have to share the same space with someone who ruins your day.
If she ever tries to escalate things to violence, its time to call the cops.
Don't respond to her if she doesn't address you nicely. Don't do nice things for her just because you're doing them for the nice members of family that you DO like. Show, don't tell, that you only make tea or coffee for people who you respect. Your family will likely treat you like you're being the petty bad guy, and wouldn't it be nice if you bent over backwards so that you could appear to all get along? But it sure feels better to be called 'a bitch' than to be treated like one.

It's ironic that she treats you like a dog when she's the one acting like one, following a feral instinct to enforce a hierarchy by opportunistic behaviour. Just like training a dog, you have to be patient, firm and mature, reward good behaviour and correct bad behaviour.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
July 4th it will be 2 years since I've last seen my parents or anyone else in my family

Im better off

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That title wrote cheques it didn't cash

Family feuds are tough, ask for advice from relatives.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
CormoranStrike have you tried asking to have a private, serious conversation with her?

My younger brother did this and it completely changed our relationship. I thought we had some kind of friendly sibling rivalry going on but he felt hurt by some of my comments and actually lashed back, which I misread as him playing along. He asked if we could simply stop... and we pretty much did.

Oct 27, 2017
Being aggressive back and calling her names is bad advice. It's so easy to say 'just beat that bully up!' from the comfort of your own couch isn't it?
From all accounts it seems like shes louder, more confident, more quick witted, and in a way better position than you because if she ever pushes everyone too far she can just fuck off back to her own house and you don't have that luxury. You can't win by rising to her provocations.

My advice would be to make up your mind that she doesn't treat you well enough to be on friendly or 'familial' terms. And you must train yourself to remember that you don't deserve to be treated with such disrespect. Call her out when she interrupts you or makes nasty remarks in front of others. She will probably double down and you'll have to say "well if i'm not getting any respect here than I guess i'm out" and go play videogames, call a real friend, or something. Make yourself happy. The rest of the family are gonna have to start having your back a little better if they want you to have to share the same space with someone who ruins your day.
If she ever tries to escalate things to violence, its time to call the cops.
Don't respond to her if she doesn't address you nicely. Don't do nice things for her just because you're doing them for the nice members of family that you DO like. Show, don't tell, that you only make tea or coffee for people who you respect. Your family will likely treat you like you're being the petty bad guy, and wouldn't it be nice if you bent over backwards so that you could appear to all get along? But it sure feels better to be called 'a bitch' than to be treated like one.

It's ironic that she treats you like a dog when she's the one acting like one, following a feral instinct to enforce a hierarchy by opportunistic behaviour. Just like training a dog, you have to be patient, firm and mature, reward good behaviour and correct bad behaviour.

Don't do any of this. The 'silent' or 'pissy' attitude won't get you anywhere in the long term. This attitude is best nipped in the bud quickly, as it's clear resentment is building.

My advice if this means so much to you that you want to repair the relationship is to seek professional mediation.

Also, it's likely the source of her own resentment towards the OP, is that she may feel OP should have also left home as she has had to.

I've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Don't do any of this. The 'silent' or 'pissy' attitude won't get you anywhere in the long term. This attitude is best nipped in the bud quickly, as it's clear resentment is building.

My advice if this means so much to you that you want to repair the relationship is to seek professional mediation.

Also, it's likely the source of her own resentment towards the OP, is that she may feel OP should have also left home as she has had to.

I've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

"pissy"?