• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unfortunately, no. Those games are only on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini 2.

As for Sonic CD, you can change the region to Japanese & get the JPN soundtrack that way.

Well, if the JP one has English Centy then it's a pretty easy choice. Not that Amazon JP will let me have the US one anyway.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
GameArts owns the rights to the games. Gungho owns GameArts. Apparently it was hard, but Sega managed to get permission to include the games in the Japanese version.

Working Designs owns the rights to the English localization of the Lunar games on Sega CD & PS1. Working Designs is long defunct, but apparently Vic Ireland still owns the WD rights. According to a second-hand source (who got perma-banned on this site), Sega contacted Vic, he though their licensing offer wasn't good, and so he didn't agree to letting them be on the Genesis Mini. They're JRPGs and Lunar:EB is a good 30-40 hours long, so re-translating them just for this would be quite the expense, so they're not on the Genesis Mini.

Since this is all second-hand, I'd be relunctant to lay blame at either party's head. I'm still incredibly depressed it didn't work out. I like Lunar: Eternal Blue more than Chrono Trigger.

I really wish Gungho would do something with Lunar, but last I checked (I was friends with somebody at the company, and we tried to get permission to make a spin-off/sequel a few years ago), the higher-ups at the company don't view it as an IP with relevance these days, and so it sits dead.

Didn't really have to do anything about the relevance of IP in today's landscape. It's more along the lines of Kojima = Metal Gear/Solid, Miyaji=Grandia/Lunar/Silpheed/heart of GameArts if I had to draw a quick comparison.

Uphill battle for without the original creator/designer/producer/director/etc around -- little to no faith anyone will be able to make anything as good as he could or did, so why even try?

Lunar 1 & Lunar 2 (with Miyaji) at a 86 & 91 avg score vs. Lunar Dragon Song (without Miyaji) at a 59. Grandia 1 & Grandia II (with Miyaji) at 87 & 90 vs. Grandia III & Grandi Xtreme (without Miyaji) sitting at 77 & 68 avg scores.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
GameArts owns the rights to the games. Gungho owns GameArts. Apparently it was hard, but Sega managed to get permission to include the games in the Japanese version.

Working Designs owns the rights to the English localization of the Lunar games on Sega CD & PS1. Working Designs is long defunct, but apparently Vic Ireland still owns the WD rights. According to a second-hand source (who got perma-banned on this site), Sega contacted Vic, he though their licensing offer wasn't good, and so he didn't agree to letting them be on the Genesis Mini. They're JRPGs and Lunar:EB is a good 30-40 hours long, so re-translating them just for this would be quite the expense, so they're not on the Genesis Mini.

Since this is all second-hand, I'd be relunctant to lay blame at either party's head. I'm still incredibly depressed it didn't work out. I like Lunar: Eternal Blue more than Chrono Trigger.

I really wish Gungho would do something with Lunar, but last I checked (I was friends with somebody at the company, and we tried to get permission to make a spin-off/sequel a few years ago), the higher-ups at the company don't view it as an IP with relevance these days, and so it sits dead.

Yeah this is all sad to hear…
Lunar is one of my favorite RPGs ever and to have it dead is terrible :/ thanks for trying to revive it. I wonder why Vic is the way he is. Completely disappeared from the internet/public life and holding on to Lunar 1/2 for dear life, to keep to himself for…reasons. Ugh

I guess we know Vic Ireland is still alive from your post so that's good to have sorta confirmed, but it's super shitty he is the one who said no to this. Thanks for the explanations - makes more sense Now!

Also: Phantasy Star 2 but not 3 and 4. There has to be some reason for this no? I will say Crusader of Centy being included is really nice to see. I only played it a little at a friends house back in the day but really liked it.

Edit: oh wait were PS 3/4 on the first mini? That would explain them missing here and I never bought the first mini…

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Also: Phantasy Star 2 but not 3 and 4. There has to be some reason for this no? I will say Crusader of Centy being included is really nice to see. I only played it a little at a friends house back in the day but really liked it.

4 is on the original mini. 3 is the only Phantasy Star not represented on either machine

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Granada's an overlooked game, too (I re-bought the Japanese MD version a few months ago) that isn't very cheap anymore. I wouldn't rank it among the best action games or anything but if you like early '90s Japanese computer style games, it's a neat addition.

OP
OP
Zonic

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
4 was on the previous mini. 2 is most likely on due to being another fan favorite.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
As one of the dozens of Puyo Puyo enjoyers on it's kind of a big deal to see Sun get any sort of localization. But a Mega Drive demake? Seriously?

Why not the N64 version on NSO? Or better yet the PC port that already got an English patch?

It's especially disappointing because Sun's story mode is really funny at times.
youtu.be

Puyo Puyo Sun Arle's Story Mode Cutscenes HD in English

Draco: 0:00Incubus: 0:30Suketoudara: 1:14Kiki Mora: 1:50Nohoho: 2:26Kodomo Dragon 1: 3:04Witch 1: 3:28Zoh Daimaoh 1: 4:14Honeybee 1: 4:48Lagnus 1: 5:18Rulue ...

Now imagine it with an English script and dub on the level of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah this is all sad to hear…
Lunar is one of my favorite RPGs ever and to have it dead is terrible :/ thanks for trying to revive it. I wonder why Vic is the way he is. Completely disappeared from the internet/public life and holding on to Lunar 1/2 for dear life, to keep to himself for…reasons. Ugh

I guess we know Vic Ireland is still alive from your post so that's good to have sorta confirmed, but it's super shitty he is the one who said no to this. Thanks for the explanations - makes more sense Now!

Phantasy Star IV was on the first Mini in all regions

PSII on here is worth it because it has an Easy Mode which rebalances the game and you can double the walk speed too. Honestly transforms the game into one of the better JRPGs of the Gen quite easily.

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
I pre-ordered when samred had his story on Ars about the limited supply.... but I'm thinking I will cancel. The only game I'm super excited about is Ranger X, and the prices for the cart on eBay are not that crazy as long as I'm not a maniac and need the box+manual.

And I don't need another 50 games to add on the backlog... I think on my SNES Classic the only game I've played through is Super Castlevania.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I pre-ordered when samred had his story on Ars about the limited supply.... but I'm thinking I will cancel. The only game I'm super excited about is Ranger X, and the prices for the cart on eBay are not that crazy as long as I'm not a maniac and need the box+manual.

And I don't need another 50 games to add on the backlog... I think on my SNES Classic the only game I've played through is Super Castlevania.

i think this has a more interesting catalog than the SNES Classic but YMMV

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't really have to do anything about the relevance of IP in today's landscape. It's more along the lines of Kojima = Metal Gear/Solid, Miyaji=Grandia/Lunar/Silpheed/heart of GameArts if I had to draw a quick comparison.

Uphill battle for without the original creator/designer/producer/director/etc around -- little to no faith anyone will be able to make anything as good as he could or did, so why even try?

Lunar 1 & Lunar 2 (with Miyaji) at a 86 & 91 avg score vs. Lunar Dragon Song (without Miyaji) at a 59. Grandia 1 & Grandia II (with Miyaji) at 87 & 90 vs. Grandia III & Grandi Xtreme (without Miyaji) sitting at 77 & 68 avg scores.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
4 is on the original mini. 3 is the only Phantasy Star not represented on either machine

4 was on the previous mini. 2 is most likely on due to being another fan favorite.

Phantasy Star IV was on the first Mini in all regions

PSII on here is worth it because it has an Easy Mode which rebalances the game and you can double the walk speed too. Honestly transforms the game into one of the better JRPGs of the Gen quite easily.

Cool thanks - I only have PS4 on that Genesis collection (I own that on PS3 and Switch now) so maybe I should not worry about the first mini since I have access to 4 otherwise. I tried 2 years ago but yeah it was crushingly hard so it's neat tgey have added an easy mode :)

Ugh. Between that and Centy and Shining Force CD I'm still tempted to get this. I need to get over Lunar 1/2 and assume they will never again be available on another platform lol.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Does this qualify for preorder price guarantee? I preordered last month when it first came available and it was at a higher price than it is now. The price on my order hasn't updated, so I'm wondering if I should risk canceling and re-ordering it or if I'll get the new price when it ships and they charge my card.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Does this qualify for preorder price guarantee? I preordered last month when it first came available and it was at a higher price than it is now. The price on my order hasn't updated, so I'm wondering if I should risk canceling and re-ordering it or if I'll get the new price when it ships and they charge my card.

I don't believe pre-order guarantee works for international orders, but I'm in the same boat. Not gonna trip over a few bucks

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
i think this has a more interesting catalog than the SNES Classic but YMMV

Honestly the SEGA Genesis Mini consoles and TurboGrafx-16 Mini have been kind of eye opening to how phoned in Nintendo's were. Star Fox 2 was a wonderful surprise but they did so little to make the libraries feel varied. Barely any games even had multiplayer too which always killed the fun of bringing these with me when traveling.

I still want to see a Nintendo 64 Classic some day but I cannot see it being super exciting.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the SEGA Genesis Mini consoles and TurboGrafx-16 Mini have been kind of eye opening to how phoned in Nintendo's were. Star Fox 2 was a wonderful surprise but they did so little to make the libraries feel varied. Barely any games even had multiplayer too which always killed the fun of bringing these with me when traveling.

I still want to see a Nintendo 64 Classic some day but I cannot see it being super exciting.

While I agree with you, you can just as easily break open the minis and add your own perfect library and more multiplayer games

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
While I agree with you, you can just as easily break open the minis and add your own perfect library and more multiplayer games
i mean, i can emulate this stuff or run it on different FPGA hardware and real hardware on everdrives-- it is the curation that makes it neat for me. the point still stands that Nintendo did a kinda shitty job with the curation of their respective mini consoles.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017

Keep doing the awesome things you do! Even second hand this is fascinating,

Snatcher + any WD titles were kinda my white whales for this collection. Still interested in it due to Shining Force CD, but not sure I can justify the shelf space for the one title.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The source here is someone who is permabanned on the forum, so I'd take this with a grain of salt. Could very well be true, but it seems weird that they wouldn't just agree to let people use their old localization merely for preservation's sake, regardless of how much was offered - it's not like they're able to make money off of it decades later.
Given Vic has a history of saying things in a way that would puff him up, I do wonder if it's less that Sega offered too little and more that it would be split between him and Gung Ho. It sucks that he's apparently playing hardball enough to sink them.

I appreciate the role he played in bringing them over, but it is a pity that he's acting as a gatekeeper when his actual work on the games was always iffy.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, i can emulate this stuff or run it on different FPGA hardware and real hardware on everdrives-- it is the curation that makes it neat for me. the point still stands that Nintendo did a kinda shitty job with the curation of their respective mini consoles.

ymmv, I think snes lineup was banger personally. I also think Gen1 lineup is better than Gen2

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I wonder why Vic is the way he is. Completely disappeared from the internet/public life and holding on to Lunar 1/2 for dear life, to keep to himself for…reasons.

The reason is money. If that tweet is to be believed, he wanted more money/better terms than what sega was willing to give since they figured they'd sell through their planned run of US units anyway.

Again, if the tweet is to be believed, I think someone could get Vic and the other parties onboard and release Lunar 1&2 as a downloadable title for $30 and cut Vic in for some percentage of every copy sold. That's what he's angling for.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Lack of English Lunar 1 & 2, English Popful Mail, and Snatcher really hurts. At this rate we'll never see these get a proper re-release.

Crusader of Centy and Ranger-X are big wings for me, though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Sure, but I find the hand picked nature of these pretty fascinating. For example, Fatal Fury 2 on Genesis is quite unique and is argued to be better than the NeoGeo original -- most people would assume it is just a standard watered down port typical of the era.

Even if not every game is a stone cold classic the variety and genre diversity is extremely well balanced. You also have several games in both of these Minis that are even revised to fix their original blemishes. I love stuff like Space Harrier II and Phantasy Star II but they had aged in ways I found difficult to enjoy, so these new revisions have me really excited! It shows a level of dedication and knowledge of the platform that you do not see from even some of the biggest retro gaming enthusiasts.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The reason is money. If that tweet is to be believed, he wanted more money/better terms than what sega was willing to give since they figured they'd sell through their planned run of US units anyway.

Again, if the tweet is to be believed, I think someone could get Vic and the other parties onboard and release Lunar 1&2 as a downloadable title for $30 and cut Vic in for some percentage of every copy sold. That's what he's angling for.

I'm not sure anyone will be willing to pay what he wants for what would be niche, old school RPGs. They are some of my favorites ever though. I just hope to see them on something in the future and not locked to Sega CD and PS1 (though I really do love 1 and 2 on CD as they have a certain…charm and style that was different in the remakes). Wonder what happens to the rights after Vic. Are they stuck forever in no man's land or can he give them to someone, or do they just default to someone else?

I'd pay at least 30 bucks each for the Sega CD Lunar games but I know I'm in a minority there lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah we are!! :)

Man glad I pushed myself to make an order this morning. I have too many of these damn things (mini consoles) but I continue to kick myself for dragging my feet on the TG16 and wasn't able to get one. :(
I don't get why they won't sell this normally, but I assume the Canadian market is just not worth the trouble for them. lol

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Heck yeah we are!! :)

Man glad I pushed myself to make an order this morning. I have too many of these damn things (mini consoles) but I continue to kick myself for dragging my feet on the TG16 and wasn't able to get one. :(

that sucks man because i think the tg16 one is the strongest of all. just excellent curation all around.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

To the latter point, Amazon JP does still have the PC-Engine mini if you don't mind missing the turbo buttons, Salamander and the censored version of Spatterhouse:

Can at least rectify the missing turbo buttons by getting one of the 8Bitdo TG16 controllers that are still sold in Canada.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why they won't sell this normally, but I assume the Canadian market is just not worth the trouble for them. lol
What I don't understand is why the Amazon Japan website is showing the item as out-of-stock but it's still available on the US website (which won't ship to Canada) which apparently is using stock from the Japanese website since that's where it's shipping from.

I'm in Canada which is part of NA and I just want to order the damn thing. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, never mind. The Genesis Mini 2 is up for pre-order on Amazon Japan again, but says this:

"This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Choose a different delivery location."

So yeah, same thing as Amazon US. I guess it's not getting a release in Canada.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Easy pass for me, I wish I had a reason to get this one but there's not a single game on here compelling me to buy.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest playing Bayonetta again made me interested in trying space harrier. Hearing that 2 includes the original and it's been reworked to be more faithful to the arcade version is really enticing.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
To the latter point, Amazon JP does still have the PC-Engine mini if you don't mind missing the turbo buttons, Salamander and the censored version of Spatterhouse:

Can at least rectify the missing turbo buttons by getting one of the 8Bitdo TG16 controllers that are still sold in Canada.

Yeah I know they still have the original one available, they've even had them on sale a few times. I really wanted the Core Grafx model to match the actual PC Engine I own. I'll probably by the jp mini off amazon jp before they're gone for good.

that sucks man because i think the tg16 one is the strongest of all. just excellent curation all around.
It really was a case of fatigue on the minis at that time along with my love for actually just playing the PC-Engine I have.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Yeah I know they still have the original one available, they've even had them on sale a few times. I really wanted the Core Grafx model to match the actual PC Engine I own. I'll probably by the jp mini off amazon jp before they're gone for good.
I got the PC-Engine Mini because I liked how small it was, but then failed to realize I could have just got the CoreGrafx model. Man, I really wanted Salamander too.