• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Check the following tweets for the rest

Full text here:

Since we're talking about Hideaki Anno, Khara and Evangelion we might as well share some of the exclusive info we know about Shin Evangelion: 3.0+1.0
It is not enough to write a whole article about, thus we'll share it as a thread instead.
It's mainly technical stuff, no spoilers

Obviously, if you want to avoid any kind of information about Shin Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 we recommend you do not read the following tweets.

In July we met with talented animator Se Jun Kim who is famous for his work on several Gundam series, Space Dandy and One Punch Man. We met for a drink more on July 19th.
As we met, he told us that he is currently working at Khara on the new Evangelion movie

He had animated some scenes for Shin Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Avant which had been previewed during Japan Expo, and also for the trailer which had been released the same day we met.

Obviously he could not tell us much about it, but we still could gather some information.
First of all the movie will be around two hours long. It would be longer if it was possible, but this is a restriction imposed by the theaters so Anno works on cutting what he can to fit

Also, Se Jun Kim has read the storyboards. All he could say was that: this really feels like the end. There's a real sense of completion. Where will Eva go from there? Anno said he'd like other people to keep doing Eva related stuff, similar to how Gundam does

(this precise statement from Anno is found in the second part of the interview we have translated which we will release soon. You can read the first part at https://fullfrontal.moe/khara-10 )

Se Jun Kim also talked about how it is working on Eva. He said it's tough, but not tougher than anywhere else. Also, Khara pays better than other places. He said that probably had to do with Anno previously being an animator and knowing the struggle it is

He said they always work until the last possible moment. Not because they are late on schedule but because they want to make use of all the time they have available to produce the best possible work they can

This is why the master to Evangelion Avant was given to Megumi Ogata at the airport as she was leaving for Paris. Furthermore the version shown in Paris and the version shown in Japan was different as I could witness myself

Se Jun Kim laughingly said this was probably voluntarily done by Anno to mess with fans

This all I can remember talking about concerning Evangelion. The team is really doing their best so please look forward to it!

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
to be honest, I was expecting a samantha bee video and I'm disappointed.

May 26, 2018
A shame the theaters are forcing it to be 2 hours long. My heart has always wanted it to have the length of a Western epic.

Can't help but wonder if the series would've been better off as a tv or netflix series instead of as movies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A shame the theaters are forcing it to be 2 hours long. My heart has always wanted it to have the length of a Western epic.

Can't help but wonder if the series would've been better off as a tv or netflix series instead of as movies.

Anno wanted full creative AND economical control over the movies, so anything that wasn't a movie series was out of the question from the start.

The movies are entirely self funded and self produced.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh. So is the new series a sequel, prequel, same universe, totally new?

Since everyone has chimed in

It's a sequel that is in the form of a remake/re-imagining of the series. The initial clue that this was a continuation was the oceans being pure LCL, which wasn't in the original series. There were also flashbacks of the Second Impact, which were more reminiscent of EoE Third Impact. Also, the moon is covered in blood from EoE, there are dead outlines of MP EVA's in 1.0

So in the ReBuilds, it's the aftermath of Shinji rejecting singularity in EoE, where Third Impact has left the state of the world in a type of "rebuilding" that is causing Shinji to basically be reliving his life in a type of "cycles of guilt" situation

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Since everyone has chimed in

It's a sequel that is in the form of a remake/re-imagining of the series. The initial clue that this was a continuation was the oceans being pure LCL, which wasn't in the original series. There were also flashbacks of the Second Impact, which were more reminiscent of EoE Third Impact. Also, the moon is covered in blood from EoE, there are dead outlines of MP EVA's in 1.0

So in the ReBuilds, it's the aftermath of Shinji rejecting singularity in EoE, where Third Impact has left the state of the world in a type of "rebuilding" that is causing Shinji to basically be reliving his life in a type of "cycles of guilt" situation

Thank you.Though I actually liked the ending of the series this is the only way to 'continue' the story, though
there won't be many recognizable characters around!

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I read a lot about the existing timeline. I really like the series mythology. Is the new series set in the same timeline or a new timeline, I guess is my question. Is it a reboot or a continuation?

Going by the textbook definition, it's a reboot. Different lore, different characters backgrounds, different Impact mechanics etc.

The story starts kinda similarly, in the sense that the first movie is pretty similar to the first 6 episodes of NGE, but there are a few minor differences here and there that turns out to be actually very important in later movies.
Second movie diverges a lot from NGE and third movie can be easily considered all new material.

Thematically, it's a lot more difficult to explain. It is not a continuation, but it also is 100% a continuation on the meta-narrative level.

It makes sense if you watch the movies.