• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Some recent development on Funcom's announced Dune-game(s) (a six year deal for multiple games). Seems that they recently signed two 'smaller' studios to work on their open world multiplayer Dune game.

Press-release from NUKKLEAR in December:

German Development Studio NUKKLEAR Partners with Funcom on Upcoming Dune Survival Game

The Studio Has Also Received a Government Grant to Expand Their Team and Capabilities, and Take on More Projects

Hanover, Germany (Dec 1, 2021) — Today, NUKKLEAR GmbH, is thrilled to announce that it is partnering with developer Funcom on the upcoming survival game set in the world of Frank Herbert's Dune. NUKKLEAR will be taking on a co-development role, helping to realize the expanded scope of the title previously announced by Funcom. The studio also recently awarded approximately 1.6 million EUR as part of the "Computerspieleförderung des Bundes" German Federal Government Grant. The grant will be used to support in part NUKKLEAR's development and production work on this project.

In 2019, Funcom announced that it had secured the rights to make a game based on the popular sci-fi franchise, Dune. The untitled project will take inspiration from Funcom's most successful title, Conan Exiles, and be an online multiplayer survival game. After investment from Tencent, the Dune project greatly expanded its scope, and NUKKLEAR has been brought on to assist in completing it.

"We're grateful to Funcom for bringing us on to help bring Dune to a new medium. We've supported and collaborated on many projects over the years, but taking on Dune is by far the biggest yet," said Kirk Lenke, CEO of NUKKLEAR. "Our team welcomes the challenge and is confident in the expertise that NUKKLEAR brings to the table."

nukklear.com

NUKKLEAR partners with Funcom on Upcoming Dune Survival Game | Nukklear

NUKKLEAR is an award winning game developer based in germany. We create AAA digital content: from online media to apps to games – on platforms from web to mobile to PC to console – turning ideas into products.

And a more recent announcement from the 3rd of February regarding a deal with the Dutch studio Abstraction Games:

Creative video game development studio Abstraction announced today that it has joined forces with Funcom on the upcoming, open-world survival multiplayer game Dune. Abstraction will offer co-development support on engine level systems, rendering and platform support, as well as on a variety of other gameplay and technological aspects.

While a large portion of the Abstraction team focuses on engine work for optimized performance, various members have integrated into other existing teams working on the project within Funcom to help develop major features in the game. Other specific aspects of work on Dune include in the collaboration include AI, audio, animation and physics.

"We thrive on creativity, changing technology and creative problem solving, and Funcom has been fun and collaborative to work with," said Ralph Egas, Abstraction CEO. "Dune represents the kind of epic IP that any developer would love to get their hands on, so we are honored to help Funcom achieve their vision for such a cool project".

"It's been a pleasure working alongside Abstraction on much of the core technology powering our next open-world multiplayer game based on the Dune IP." said Fred Richardson, Funcom CTO. "Their extensive technical knowledge and experience is proving invaluable in allowing us to push the boundaries of what we can do with Unreal."

Abstraction Games is a support/port studio from the Netherlands who have worked on Mass Effect: Legendary Edition and Halo: Master Chief collection (and many other games).

abstraction.games

Abstraction Announces Partnership with Funcom to Help Bring Vision for Upcoming Dune Project to Life

Creative video game development studio Abstraction announced that it has joined forces with Funcom on the upcoming, open-world survival multiplayer game Dune. Abstraction will offer co-development support on engine level systems, rendering and platform support, as well as on a variety of other...
abstraction.games

Dune: Awakening - Abstraction - 2022

Dune: Awakening is a creative co-development project, in which we are working together with Funcom on bringing one of the greatest IP’s to the open-world survival genre. Abstraction's developers are integrated into Funcom and split over the engine, gameplay and other core system teams.

So Era; are we looking forward to the Spice-grind?

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Edit don't feel arguing with people over a dumb genre. Hope It Turns Out Alright

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, I would be excited if I didn't already know that the end result will exactly look like every other mp survival game out there.

Conan, Ark, The Forrest, Fallout 76, you name it, all to some degree work the same.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I'm not expecting too much myself but it would be dissapointing if it bombs; its time for some proper Dune games.
True. I hope that the new RTS turns out good. I don't like the art style and look of the game so far, but I am still willing to give it a try. Old Dune RTS was always so good.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
I love Conan, and my group revisits it regularly.

Dune is one of my favourite things, so I am here for it.