• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Spoilers: funi isn't spending money to redub a 10 year old show that wouldn't result in a significant uptick in sales.
Considering they went back and re-edit old episodes of DBZ over petty things like Trunks holding up a middle finger, I beg to differ.
they don't even have the rights for it anymore lol. It reverted back to Aniplex
Ah, so it's Aniplex we should be hitting up about fixing the FMA dubs then.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
And watch as THOSE people start blaming everyone for attacking poor Vic Mignogna.

On topic: you shouldn't have abused your position Vic. Now you're paying the price.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scumbag had it coming.

I don't think Funimation will redub anything but i doubt he will get any royalties, so it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that they aren't associated with him anymore.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scumbag should have been fired years ago for his behavior at Anime Conventions.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Considering they went back and re-edit old episodes of DBZ over petty things like Trunks holding up a middle finger, I beg to differ.

Ah, so it's Aniplex we should be hitting up about fixing the FMA dubs then.

TIl: it's just as easy to redit a single scene than it is to pay someone to redub 2 entire series. Got it. Oh, and good luck getting aniplex to redub it. They won't either.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe now he'll learn that making sexual comments or sex jokes towards little girls was never funny. I wish I'd never been associated with him.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JwpXLfA.gif

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Thank goodness that monster has been dealt with. I am glad that justice has been served and that the victims can sleep easier now that he has been rightfully punished.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Inevitable and deserved. Dude is a creep and made to attempt to change. Gotta laugh at people asking for evidence as if there isn't plenty out there over the years to prove it.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Guess I'm not buying DBS Broly then. Shame, the movie looked pretty good too.
Voice actors don't get royalties in this situation, and it seems like a silly stance to take considering the majority of the cast were liking tweets and gave their support to people speaking out about these incidents.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can feel the salty alt-right tears from here. Fuck this guy.

They should've done this long ago, though, because i really doubt funi didn't know about this guy's behavior.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are they any cons he hasn't been banned from yet? If there are any that also have some of Funi crew, its gonna get really awkward...

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Alongside not picking up DBS Broly. My apologies for not making that clear.

Then everybody wins!

Except for the people that like the show, and don't really care if it's redubbed, because they understand that Vic isn't getting residuals, and redubbing it would cost more than they'd ever make back.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Given that, from what I'm finding out on here, Vic won't receive any further money for his work on Dragonball Super then by boycotting a purchase simply because his lines won't be re-dubbed is only going to end up hurting the other voice actors on it really, some of whom came out in support of the victims. By harming sales you're just going to potentially cost those other people work in future because another project may not be looked at so favourably.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. Now, make him serve some time in jail. And with some, I mean many years.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Alongside not picking up DBS Broly. My apologies for not making that clear.

That's fine. You are free to boycott whatever you want, but it seems kind of backwards to further punish a company and its employees after they did the right thing and fired him. Especially when it's already been pointed out to you that by buying the movie you are not giving any money to Mignogna. He gets no royalties from the movie. He has already been paid.

It also seems pretty ridiculous to boycott a company like Aniplex for possibly not wanting to redub a series that has been done and finished years and years ago. I mean if they hired him for a new series I would totally get it, but boycotting them for simply owning the rights to FMA and not redubbing it is just extreme to me.

But maybe that's just me.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Except for the people that like the show, and don't really care if it's redubbed
Those people likely already own the series in some form prior to this. No judgment to them obviously, but it would likely be of better for newer produced copies to not feature Mignogna over respect to the people he's harassed. If Aniplex is against that, then that's a bad look.
redubbing it would cost more than they'd ever make back.
Aniplex has a shitload of money off the Sword Art Online franchise, despite the lack of quality of the work itself. They can kick a few bucks to searching for a new Edward voice and resell it in some special "Anniversary Pack".
Especially when it's already been pointed out to you that by buying the movie you are not giving any money to Mignogna. He gets no royalties from the movie. He has already been paid.
Has Funimation outright said that Vic gets no money at all for DBS Broly?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised, although with this still being a thing I guess they couldn't ride out the heat for much longer without their image really taking a hit

On a personal note, dude can go fuck himself.

I imagine another aspect is the number of other voice actors and actresses lending their voice to the cause - visibly too. Funi would have otherwise had to demonstrably side with him over other parts of their casting pool, which is... not a good look, both to general audiences and prospective talent.

Still, good result.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Aniplex has a shitload of money off the Sword Art Online franchise, despite the lack of quality of the work itself. They can kick a few bucks to searching for a new Edward voice and resell it in some special "Anniversary Pack".

Redubbing an entire show that they aren't even selling right now makes no sense.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
One has to assume they only have the final audio master produced by Funimation and do not have the individual elements necessary to replace just one voice in the existing dub at this point. Changing one voice would mean redubbing everything.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news HOWEVER shame on them for not doing this much sooner when everyone knew about this shit 10+ years ago. : /

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
One has to assume they only have the final audio master produced by Funimation and do not have the individual elements necessary to replace just one voice in the existing dub at this point. Changing one voice would mean redubbing everything.
Would Aniplex not have rights to the master recordings? Even if they chose not to redub, they'd want them when repackaging the series for release again. Unless Aniplex has no plans to release the series again indefinitely, which wouldn't hurt me either.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. There are so many stories about this fucker I couldn't even keep track of all his shittiness

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think people are under-estimating just how costly re-dubs could potentially be. You're not just talking about paying a single Voice actor (for quite a lot of lines if someone went back and re-dubbed all the series that Vic has been in previously, assuming you just got one voice actor for every single project), but you've got support staff like the director, you've got studio time, editing staff, etc. There's a lot of stuff involved even for just recording a small amount of dialogue.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alt-Right is starting to pick up on this, already heard one go "This should be Anime-Gate."

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I think people are under-estimating just how costly re-dubs could potentially be. You're not just talking about paying a single Voice actor (for quite a lot of lines if someone went back and re-dubbed all the series that Vic has been in previously, assuming you just got one voice actor for every single project), but you've got support staff like the director, you've got studio time, editing staff, etc. There's a lot of stuff involved even for just recording a small amount of dialogue.
I'm aware it's costly. But I'm also aware that Aniplex is not exactly a broke company.

Oct 25, 2017
And there it is. I won't miss him.

Episode of Sabo will probably still have him, unless Funi plans to delay that. But by the time they get to Sabo's appearance in Dressrosa, they'll definitely have a new guy. Same with Blackbeard (RIP Cole Brown).

They're not going to redub anything, boycotting is silly since he doesn't get anything. Aniplex is especially not going to redub Fullmetal Alchemist years after it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.