• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Every time a creep gets fired, I'm reminded that there are loads of people who aren't creeps who could do their job.

Don't want to get fired? Don't be an asshole. It's easier than it looks. Loads of people do it every day.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
In addition, royalties are primarily around actual screen appearances, and are negotiated by SAG, which has no bearing on most anime voice acting (currently).
To be specific: dubbing is done outside the union's sphere of influence in Texas and there's very little crossover between the two worlds. SAG-AFTRA has negotiated royalties for voice acting since it's considered creative work as adlibs and additions can be still made at that stage. Dubbing doesn't meet the criteria and that's why it's left out. It's unlikely this division will ever change as anime dubbing is barely even considered to be acting.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This whole saga demonstrates the power of democratizing information. Stuff about him has floated around for years but until now no one collected all the various accounts and pushed it into the public.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Broly2.gif

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
There are voice actors unions. Not in Texas, but in LA, there are union dubs, and Non-union dubs. Steve Blum did cowboy bebop the series as a non-union dub, as Dave Lucas, but the bebop movie as a union dub, and at the time, had to pretend they were two different people. It's possible LA voice actors don't have to do anymore non-union work, or the union relaxed it's rules. I dunno.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
To be specific: dubbing is done outside the union's sphere of influence in Texas and there's very little crossover between the two worlds. SAG-AFTRA has negotiated royalties for voice acting since it's considered creative work as adlibs and additions can be still made at that stage. Dubbing doesn't meet the criteria and that's why it's left out. It's unlikely this division will ever change as anime dubbing is barely even considered to be acting.
This isn't really accurate. Texas dubbing is generally non-union, but SAG has had a union dubbing contract since the early 90s and there have been a number union dubs in Los Angeles over the years. Dubs produced in Canada are generally union as well. There is actually a provision for residuals in union dubbing contracts, but they're very limited, and only for full theatrical showings. TV runs and home video releases give nothing beyond the initial payment.

Vic has appeared in some union dubs like Naruto and Bleach, but barring someone doing a theatrical release that includes his work he's not getting any more money from them.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So do I throw out my FMA blurays now? I only got them for my birthday last year.

😔

...no? I mean if you want to go ahead but I'll never understand the sentiment. Sell them if anything. Sure he's shit but that's not going to stop me from seeing media he and other voice actors have contributed to. Nor let it ruin my viewing experiences of anime he may have lent his voice to.

Anyways I wonder who will voice Broly now. I hope it's someone good as Vic's Broly sounded so off ever since 2015. I thought he had been replaced with how bad his Broly voice got.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Every time a creep gets fired, I'm reminded that there are loads of people who aren't creeps who could do their job.

Don't want to get fired? Don't be an asshole. It's easier than it looks. Loads of people do it every day.
Yup.

Obviously this was way smaller scale but I directed/produced a theatre production in Minneapolis last summer, and one of the guys we cast had an accusation of sexual assault come out against him by another actor in the community. Asked a buddy of mine if he could step into the role and we never looked back.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
So do I throw out my FMA blurays now? I only got them for my birthday last year.

😔

not sure if serious or drama queen :P

How would you throwing FMA Blu Rays affect anything?

He doesn't get any money and you'd basically be failing to celebrate whatever you love about the show & punishing the other VAs who did a fantastic job.

I didn't know that much of Vic's work but Edward as a character is so far removed from Vic as a person its not hard to disassosciate.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure if serious or drama queen :P

How would you throwing FMA Blu Rays affect anything?

He doesn't get any money and you'd basically be failing to celebrate whatever you love about the show & punishing the other VAs who did a fantastic job.

I didn't know that much of Vic's work but Edward as a character is so far removed from Vic as a person its not hard to disassosciate.

Oh I'm just kidding. The bluray and Netflix both have the Japanese dub anyway, not that I'd stop listening to the English dub just because of one voice actor in it being a sleaze.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy some of his voice work, this is the right decision by Funimation. Plus this gives room for them to bring in new talent.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wonder if they will try to change his voice as Broly for the blu-ray release of Dragon Ball Super Broly. Probably a bit too late, but it would be something.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. Only bad thing is that it took this long. He's been a known piece of shit for years.

Lol at the people who want to go back and erase him from everything he's been in though. Sure for the media that is still actively being made, but for anything that's been completed? It's a complete waste of money. Movies don't do it, why would you expect it here?

Just pray that DBS: Broly comes with an extended cut like Battle of Gods did. Then maybe they'll replace him then since they will be needing to record new dialogue.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Good riddance. Only bad thing is that it took this long. He's been a known piece of shit for years.

Lol at the people who want to go back and erase him from everything he's been in though. Sure for the media that is still actively being made, but for anything that's been completed? It's a complete waste of money. Movies don't do it, why would you expect it here?

Just pray that DBS: Broly comes with an extended cut like Battle of Gods did. Then maybe they'll replace him then since they will be needing to record new dialogue.
If there is an extended cut they'll have long since recorded all the dialogue by now. The Blu-Ray release is only about 2 months away, the master recordings have probably long since gone away for the discs to be pressed.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'd say my biggest frustration out of all of this now is you still got a bunch of alt right assholes now actively harrassing Monica Rial trying to run her out of the industry to "make it even."

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
They don't do it for movies? Damn... and I was so looking forward to seeing The Usual Suspects re-directed by a fresh face and starring James McAvoy as Keyser Söze.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that Monica Rial has more vocal range than any other human being alive.

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that Monica Rial has more vocal range than any other human being alive.

Apparently she'll be able to play both Bulma AND Broly, as well as Tashigi AND Sabo.
Seriously I don't get that claim that she's after his roles. She's a woman! I know Vic has a high-pitched voice but I can't imagine Monica would want to play any of his characters. Of all the stupid misogynistic arguments... that one is just beyond stupid

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom the thought process behind the people trying to defend him. I just can't. Imagine dying on that hill.

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are there always so many video results for people trying to convince the world that women deserve to suffer? Are there just no other videos on the subject being produced?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Why are there always so many video results for people trying to convince the world that women deserve to suffer? Are there just no other videos on the subject being produced?
I think most sane people don't feel the need to make videos to say otherwise because most normal people don't need to be told such things.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
The concentrated stupid composing all these laughable conspiracy theories nearly renders choosing any winner impossible, but "Monica's taking 'er jerbs!" might just be in the lead.

Man, how dumb do you have to be to think she was a snake in the grass scheming to voice Broly? (Or, hell, anyone else Vic's voiced -- god knows she wanted to be Edward well after both FMAs ended.)

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
She existed. That seems to be all it takes for a woman to be harassed these days. I have seen everything from her being a list to her trying to steal jobs. People are fucking crazy.

I read on YouTube comments someone suggested she better have a lot of security at cons in a threatening matter. That's the length these losers go to try to intimidate. I hope monica stays strong , I've always been a fan of hers since she voiced Hyatt in Excel Saga.

Oct 25, 2017
The concentrated stupid composing all these laughable conspiracy theories nearly renders choosing any winner impossible, but "Monica's taking 'er jerbs!" might just be in the lead.

Man, how dumb do you have to be to think she was a snake in the grass scheming to voice Broly? (Or, hell, anyone else Vic's voiced -- god knows she wanted to be Edward well after both FMAs ended.)

I can't even see a big demand to want to voice Broly. Sure he's popular, but in the newest movie the majority of his "lines" were just violent screaming.
God speed to whoever his new voice will be when he returns for Super 2 or whatever the next Dragon Ball anime will be called.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I can't fathom the thought process behind the people trying to defend him. I just can't. Imagine dying on that hill.
It's what happens when conspiracy nuttery and toxic misogyny overlap.

Tons of people want to be on Vic's side, either because they hate seeing women speaking up, have an urge to be someone who "really knows what's going on", or far more likely a twisted mix of the two.

For a lot of people it's about Vic, because he has cultivated an almost cult-like fan base in some respects. But for a lot of other people, it's not about Vic at all. They don't care about him. It's about wanting to believe whatever narrative fits their own personal worldview.

Are you one of those "whites are the real oppressed groups" people? Boom. He's the white Christian man taken down by the evil not-white-Christian-men for being too much of a white Christian man.

Are you someone who thinks that the current culture is too sensitive? Boom. Vic's an overly-affectionate bloke who's life has been ruined because we're talking about boundaries in secondary-school PSHE lessons.

Hell, do you think modern dubs are bad? Boom. Vic is the victim of an attack on 90's dubs (no for real that's an actual one that exists. Someone actually thinks that).

Vic is just becoming a catalyst for people to spread their hate. These people were already angry about something, so this has an excuse to "legitimise" their anger.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Search for the guy's name, and only his name, and this is the sort of stuff I get:

3SMdeoE.jpg

5qR1Xu4.jpg

bEO6fIE.jpg

animewasamistake.jpg

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm unsure how much overlap there is in the vocal talents of Monica Rial and Vic, so I'm unsure why she's trying to get his jobs, as that video seems to be implying. Tho, if they want to get her to play Qrow, I'm okay with that. She did a good job as the leader of the Fanus before Adam killed her.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I look at it this way. Communities, big and small, set certain expectations as to what behaviour is acceptable and unacceptable. They can't convince everyone to hold the same values, but they can create a sense of fear that keeps people from admitting it openly. It's why a lot of people who are blatantly racist are still terrified of being called racist, or why white supremacist conspiracy theories often try to present themselves as victims of the "real" racism; western society has been pushing for the past few decades to ingrain upon its children that racism is a bad thing, and even people who don't care about that are afraid to oppose it.

So in a case like this, where conventions and professionals are trying to firmly declare what their values are, there's a certain inevitability of pushback. Because for these people, a fear is being installed. Now that sexual harassment seems to be a legitimate concern in the broader society, they have to be loud and stop the zeitgeist immediately, else they're going to have to spend the rest of their lives relying on dogwhistles and hidden away in smaller communities in order to express their values.

Hopefully this is a growing pain, and the voices of those targeted by Mignogna and those in support of them are the ones which are heard, and these communities decide that they no longer want to sweep these toxic behaviours under the rug as simply an unfortunate reality.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's quite crazy that this boils down to semantics (and I won't be surprised, a dash of elitism looking down at dubbing).

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read on YouTube comments someone suggested she better have a lot of security at cons in a threatening matter. That's the length these losers go to try to intimidate. I hope monica stays strong , I've always been a fan of hers since she voiced Hyatt in Excel Saga.

Fuck yeah, she was damn good in Excel Saga. First dub I ever heard her in was Princess Nine (one of my favourite anime shows of my youth), where she was just phenomenal, best character in the show by far... and now even that is tainted for me as the lead male character in that show was dubbed by: Vic Mignogna :/

Seriously, fuck every single one of these assholes... Vic most of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.