• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Laura wrapped in plastic funko is tasteless, indeed, but the other one (which I found right now checking examples) it's not bad.

agente-dale-cooper-laura-palmer-mundo-funko-pop.jpeg

I have the Leland Palmer funko, it's nice.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Was I not supposed to be excited about the image in the OP? Did people stop liking Coming to America?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That's really random. Does Funky select a random IMDB page to decide what figures to make next?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want a toy of that?
dunno, I like twin peaks quite a bit (tho I didn't want to get the pops since my dumb toy collection is too large as it is) so I could see how someone who is just as big a fan as I, or even bigger would want all the merch and sometimes that merch isn't pretty because the source material isn't pretty. It's also a pretty iconic figure for the show.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
oh neat, another thread where people get irrationally mad about a plastic figure. been less than a month since the last one.

just need someone to be hollering in here about nendoroids in order to fully complete the discussion.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I may not like the quality of Funko. But I can't deny that their reach is incredibly admirable.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Troll 2 funkos some day.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
71Y4f0LsQjL._SL1200_.jpg

I thought they went too far when they made a toy of a teenage girl who was raped, murdered, and wrapped in plastic.

It's an ugly figure for sure, but is it really too far?

It's an iconic image from a celebrated piece of fiction.

I've run into people that cosplay this at conventions. People draw fan art of it. The Blu-Ray has it on the cover. A popular fan 'zine was named after the image. People go to the beach this was filmed at and wrap themselves in plastic to recreate the scene in which her body is discovered.

People do these things because they like the character of Laura Palmer, not to celebrate the terrible things that happened to her.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Funko's whole point is that there is something there for any fan of anything. I bet you a dollar there's some Eddie Murphy fan in Minnesota whooping at his screen right now.
Yep. I love that movie, in part because it connects to my coming to America. Much like the movie The terminal with Tom Hanks.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, if this leads to a Velvet Jones, Buckwheat, or Gumby (Dammit) Funko Pop, I'm in.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I think Coming to America was a really funny movie back when I watched it years ago so if it brings sales then good for them!

However...
71Y4f0LsQjL._SL1200_.jpg

I thought they went too far when they made a toy of a teenage girl who was raped, murdered, and wrapped in plastic.
This is absolute trash. I don't know why they would even make this to sell.

It's an ugly figure for sure, but is it really too far?

It's an iconic image from a celebrated piece of fiction.

I've run into people that cosplay this at conventions. People draw fan art of it. The Blu-Ray has it on the cover. A popular fan 'zine was named after the image. People go to the beach this was filmed at and wrap themselves in plastic to recreate the scene in which her body is discovered.

People do these things because they like the character of Laura Palmer, not to celebrate the terrible things that happened to her.
Basically this.

The other Laura Palmer one is better.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Has science been able to figure out why Jeff Goldblum's funko pop is the only one whose soulless eyes don't actually appear soulless and terrifying? Is this illuminating things about the actual Jeff Goldblum?

A little part of him is inside each one.

Not a fan on Funko pops but I could see how someone could want Coming to America ones. That Twin peaks rape/murder victim one tho.... WTF!

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any difference between people who want Dead Laura Palmer and people who collect those super detailed horror movie figures that McFarlane puts out.. except the McFarlane stuff is usually really gross and graphic, and Laura Palmer is incredibly tame.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Are we really clutching our pearls at Laura Palmer now?
I dont watch Twin Peaks so my knowledge of the character and the situation is limited at best. But outside looking in it comes off pretty gross. Im not going to make (or sign) a petition asking for its removal but i dont think considering a toy like that being at best questionable is "clutching pearls".

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing about the Laura Palmer one is that it is one of the best Funko Pops available. The eyes are closed so it doesn't suffer from the hideous Funkoface and the body is covered by plastic wrap so you can't see their shitty modeling. What an absolute garbage line of toys.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Another thread where people act like Pops are a war crime and killed their dog.

Coming to America is great; these are neat.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Funko Pop covered walls, react videos and "professional gamer" race car looking chairs - things thousands will cringe to death when looking back 20 years from now.

Garbage

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, why is this a problem again? I loved the movie as a kid and know someone who'd enjoy this as a gift.