• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
It's an ugly figure for sure, but is it really too far?

It's an iconic image from a celebrated piece of fiction.

I've run into people that cosplay this at conventions. People draw fan art of it. The Blu-Ray has it on the cover. A popular fan 'zine was named after the image. People go to the beach this was filmed at and wrap themselves in plastic to recreate the scene in which her body is discovered.

People do these things because they like the character of Laura Palmer, not to celebrate the terrible things that happened to her.
No it's not. It's fine.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The line was already crossed. There is no line.

u0pbMyJ.jpg

I've never had any interest in Funko pops until this moment.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
When I was still a little boy that wanted to be a big boy, I preferred toys that actually looked like the thing I liked instead of these soulless, Sharked eyed things. Is there a Jaws funko, because that'd work.
Not yet but they did make a Sharknado (which was so ridiculous and charming looking that it became my first Pop):

61VYTAJynCL._SX425_.jpg

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it was mentioned before but the non-human ones are usually the best ones, because the blank eyes don't distract as much, and the bodies aren't just a template.
Oh absolutely. In their defense, the detail on their humans has gone up dramatically in the last couple years (compare the original comic Iron Man MK 1 with the one that just came out for SDCC'18 for example) but sometimes the simplistic style of their faces is too much to overcome, and they just look like anyone unless you already know who they are (IE the new Friends wave).

Their creature design, though, has gone through the stratosphere. The Jurassic Park/World dinosaurs, the Monster Hunter creatures, the Basilisk from Harry Potter, Porgs, Tamatoa from Moana, even the Ad Icons like the upcoming Domino's Noid looks good compared to normal humans. I'm glad they've been given the opportunity to show off more detailed sculpts and poses.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh absolutely. In their defense, the detail on their humans has gone up dramatically in the last couple years (compare the original comic Iron Man MK 1 with the one that just came out for SDCC'18 for example) but sometimes the simplistic style of their faces is too much to overcome, and they just look like anyone unless you already know who they are (IE the new Friends wave).

Their creature design, though, has gone through the stratosphere. The Jurassic Park/World dinosaurs, the Monster Hunter creatures, the Basilisk from Harry Potter, Porgs, Tamatoa from Moana, even the Ad Icons like the upcoming Domino's Noid looks good compared to normal humans. I'm glad they've been given the opportunity to show off more detailed sculpts and poses.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not a huge fan of the line, but they do put a surprising amount of detail into stuff you'd think they just put a paint wash over and call it a day. There are more unique sculpts than you would think, even on the humanoid characters, and the creatures must cost a lot more for them to sculpt. And you're right, I have an early bobblehead veresion of Batman, Green Lantern, etc. and they have evolved from that time a lot.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know there's been Hannibal ones, but have there been any Silence of the Lambs Pops yet? I'd love to see a "dancing Buffalo Bill" Pop.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I like Funko's Mystery Minis line because they don't use the weird blank faced template.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Motherfuckers went below the belt with these. Never gave two shits about these damn toys until now. I know my goofy ass friend is gonna buy them, too.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I like Funko's Mystery Minis line because they don't use the weird blank faced template.

On the one hand, I agree, the sculpts depending on the property are pretty cool and even though they're still not accurate enough, they have licenses like Steven Universe that aren't elsewhere.

On the other hand, blind boxes are evil.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have a LOT of Funkos. But I hate how top heavy they can be without good supporting feet or bases. I have a few I'm going to glue onto a wooden base.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord I hate Funko.

I hate that this super deformed, big head thing because the default for collectables but the Pops are especially awful.

They all look shit and don't even look like the character they're based on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
A Tom DeLonge creation. He wanted to have a multimedia empire. As you can tell, didn't go so hot.

Should've stayed with Blink.

I have no idea who that is, except Iooking him up on google, so I still say that Poet one is the most obscure. I mean, I've heard of Children's Hospital, I'm a big fan of the Black Hole movie, and I at least know what Hot Topic is even though I have no idea why they made a Hot Topic guy. But how did DeLonge's pet project get a funko pop, and one that was produced in enough quantity that it's still available on Amazon?

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I never got into these either but a lady friend surprised me with this last Friday. I love it.

So I've never owned one of these but a lady friend surprised me with this last Friday.. and i love it

41L-6hwGMyL.jpg

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I have no idea who that is, except Iooking him up on google, so I still say that Poet one is the most obscure. I mean, I've heard of Children's Hospital, I'm a big fan of the Black Hole movie, and I at least know what Hot Topic is even though I have no idea why they made a Hot Topic guy. But how did DeLonge's pet project get a funko pop, and one that was produced in enough quantity that it's still available on Amazon?

Tom DeLonge is the former lead singer of Blink-182. He started his own band by the name of Angels and Airwaves, and got into some weird shit (Google Tom DeLonge aliens). Poet Anderson is the result of his obsession with dreams- Poet is the lead character in an animated short film he made that coincided with an album release. He was supposed to get an animated series, but Tom made the mistake of thinking people still cared about his bullshit when in fact they do not, which is why some warehouse has a Poet Anderson Funko.

Regrettably, I used to be a huge Angels and Airwaves fan, hence knowing too much about goddamned Poet Anderson.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Tom DeLonge is a 55 year old man who sings like an 11 year old boy in the midst of puberty. That's also his target audience.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming to America? FUUUUUUUUCK! In the top 3 of the best comedy movies of all time. Now I have to get them all :O

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The Twin Peaks juggernaut and "She's dead... wrapped in plastic" was such a transcending meme/quote in the 1990's. I think you had to be there and the right age to get why that Funko Pop holds a lot of appeal to certain people and it's not because it trivialises violence against women.

I also get why by today's standards it can be interpreted by some as something much darker though.