• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh.
Hate their design, but good for the people who want a little collectible of their favorite character. Not all of us can put down 80$ for a scale figure.
oddjobsant1523402271.jpeg
You don't have to go that far, you can probably get $5 gacha figures that look better than funko pops.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
vader.jpg

I really dislike the Pop! line of figures, but they do make some genuinely nice stuff sometimes. Had to stop myself from picking these up when I was out one day.

464110-h2.jpg
These are the only ones that genuinely look very good. But of course they couldn't just let that be, so now they are making a cereal...

ayo moose

Oct 31, 2017
Off topic but semi-relevant, the Cuphead Funko Pops all have horrible paint jobs IRL. I have Cuphead & The Devil and they both have lots of defects. Still nice tho.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Better off paying the import fees for those new pokemon plushies they plan on launching later this year.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the D.va one off Amazon and the paint job was horrible I am never getting any more of them again
The Funko curse. Sometimes they look fine but their QA is awful or something because the paint applications can be all over the place. Worst was the recent Care Bears line, their white muzzles were always splatty around the base and then their nose/mouth would be off center, or the hearts on their palms would miss the indent, or their stomach icon would be crooked... ):

But then you get like the Monster Hunter ones too, or the Jurassic Park dinos... their creature designers seem to shine a bit more than the humans. Except the Care Bears.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually not a bad representation of Pikachu.

These will make utterly stupid amounts of money.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
and the money machine that is pokemon is about to make even more money people will eat these up.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh.

You don't have to go that far, you can probably get $5 gacha figures that look better than funko pops.
I was talking about specifically about the human pokemon characters, as they only recently started making a line of them. Prize figures have been made, but only at a limited time, and they go for 70$ in the after market now.

hupla

Oct 27, 2017
Pops are bad even for their price and that Pikachu looks to continue the trend.

Apr 10, 2018
So much unnecessary merchandise for a franchise that already aims for the most common denominator.
At least give us good, mature Pokemon games, then you're free to make money with useless merchandise.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
That Pikachu is not the best look but I'd be interested in what some of the others end up looking like. There are some Pokemon that could look cool in that form over say the Pokemon Center plush forms.

Also crazy that Pokemon never got a real amiibo line. I remember thinking I'd have 20 different Pokemon amiibo when they announced them and instead I just have a giant Pikachu in a detective hat.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That Pikachu is not the best look but I'd be interested in what some of the others end up looking like. There are some Pokemon that could look cool in that form over say the Pokemon Center plush forms.

Also crazy that Pokemon never got a real amiibo line. I remember thinking I'd have 20 different Pokemon amiibo when they announced them and instead I just have a giant Pikachu in a detective hat.

I could see them doing it for next year's mainline game if they're to do it at all.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Nooooo my wallet(and marriage)...
So much unnecessary merchandise for a franchise that already aims for the most common denominator.
At least give us good, mature Pokemon games, then you're free to make money with useless merchandise.
Lol wtf! This can't be genuine...

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like they have an exclusivity on it. Turbonerds hating on Funko toys is super stale, you do you I guess.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People like the products and purchase them using their country's currency of choice.

or maybe it's because they're soulless homogenizers of everything that was ever interesting or unique about the characters they get to make 2 cent figurines of and are the poster child for the commodification of nostalgia without any creative impulse

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I loooove Funkos. I was never into figures though now my room is filled with them.

Some of them are pretty hit and miss though, that Pikachu looks pretty shitty.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's the usual attitude you see on the internet: popular thing is popular. People who happen to dislike popular thing get strangely angry at it simply existing.

Rinse and repeat.

Or...they're just completely hideous to many of us. People are free to dislike whatever they want. Your crappy attitude is not helping matters.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the hate. Of course people would want to buy figurines of their favorite pop culture characters. It's weird that it took so long for a company to provide a such a wide variety of stylistically uniform collectibles.

Like them or not, the mass appeal of Funkopop toys could not be more predictable.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I share Jeff Gerstmann's opinion of Funko Pops.
Somebody buys them but people also bought pet rocks and beanie babies.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't I read something about them being hundreds of millions in debt or something recently? Did they bounce back from that?

Nov 18, 2017
I really don't get the hate for Funko :/

They're ugly designs. The quality is bad.

Every character or actor you know with a rectangle face and circle black eyes. Why?

And collecting them is weird because they look bad in their boxes, and they look bad out of their boxes and are somehow worth less, even though most are valueless.

I just see collectors as getting caught in a spiral with it. There's something insidious and mortally futile about it.

Occasionally they deviate enough from their template to make a decent figure.

In the future the market will bomb and these things will tank and somewhere there'll be a plastic mountain of ugly funko tat.