• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Experiences. Better yet, interest.

I'm alright with collecting as a hobby, it is when my little brother talks about how much these things will be worth in the future that I start rolling my eyes.

To be fair he's probably right. It's unlikely he will lose money at any rate. But they often do increase in value, sometimes by a lot, most of the time by small amounts.

I like them, even though I don't collect them (1/6 and 1/4 Hot Toys, ThreeA and Enterbay here mostly) and I understand their popularity. They cover a huge range of often obscure franchises and they're cheap as hell. I mean you could buy over 60 funko's for the prices i've paid for ONE 1/4 scale figure. That's a definite win on quantity.

I do wish vinyl idolz were a bigger production, and released more regularly, because their vinyl figures are really good, and also relatively cheap.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The nice thing about a property as big as Pokemon is that if you don't care for the Pikachu Funko Pop you have literally a hundred other options.

Unfortunately some of the more niche franchises Funko makes figures of aren't quite as lucky.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
you know what dumb tacky collectible i want

in animal crossing for the 3ds you can get this flower bed item with three oversized pikmin stems sticking out of it

i want a tiny one of those for my windowsill

Oct 25, 2017
We really got collectible elitists in here lol. Collect what you like. Funko pops are inoffensive. If you're shaking your head because you walk into a house with them in it then lol.

Also Funko's are pretty cheap as far as collectibles go. They are like $12 bucks. Perfect price for a lot of people.

random51

Banned
May 6, 2018
These things seem to hold value. My gf could sell for a profit. (Though, that's not why she collects them.)

The thing with that though is nobody wants to factor in the opportunity cost inherent in owning/keeping something in the first place. How much of your time/space is spent maintaining the collection, etc. Surely that has a non-zero value?

Again, if it is a hobby that you derive enjoyment from then none of that matters, but if you're trying to argue that these are an investment, it does.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I assume it's because their products sell pretty well. You'd be shocked at how much the average person collects Funko pops.

I'm not american so i might be vastly underestimating the sales of Funko, yeah
Still think its quite remarkable the sheer variety of franchises under their thumb.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing with that though is nobody wants to factor in the opportunity cost inherent in owning/keeping something in the first place. How much of your time/space is spent maintaining the collection, etc. Surely that has a non-zero value?

Again, if it is a hobby that you derive enjoyment from then none of that matters, but if you're trying to argue that these are an investment, it does.

What's to maintain? They're in a box. If you're talking about investments, no sane person would be displaying these things open on a shelf and having to dust them every week. Lol. that's not how it works.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, those KH mystery box figures are actually not bad. I'd love to have the Org-coated characters and Halloween town forms.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I will wait for the Dorbz ones, those I really like. My Gooffy Dorbz is the best. Regular Funko can go die in a fire.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Steven Universe Mystery Minis are really cute. The wife bought a few a year or two back.

71AiOyHQP0L._SL1500_.jpg

She managed to pull the Gamestop-exclusive Rose w/ Mr Universe Shirt on her first try, so she didn't buy many more after that. (Managed to find it by guessing at the weight of the box.)

994963b3-c33c-4c1b-9c4d-7cf8cbfc849b-400x400.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Here's an illustrated version of why I dislike most Funko Pops:

BtvQgAi.jpg

I always imagine those big, black, soulless eyes on the original character design and it's a nightmare.

There are good versions, but they are either the ones that work with the eyes (WALL-E) or aren't the same human mould (Cuphead, whenever it's something like a dragon or whatever)

Funko's other products are pretty good though so I'm fine with this so long as they don't wind up replacing every other piece of PokéMerch out there (which would never happen). It's also unlikely that other Nintendo properties will be Funko'd, since this is probably a Pokémon Company deal.

This

Funkos can be GREATLY improved with a little bit of white ink

Or more

Last edited:

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I think Funko's look fine, but that Pikachu is rough. I always kinda thought their animals weren't the greatest.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I really dislike the Pop! line of figures, but they do make some genuinely nice stuff sometimes. Had to stop myself from picking these up when I was out one day.

464110-h2.jpg
Those are the best Funko figures I've ever seen in my life. All because they don't have those standard soulless eyes and have a mouth/expression.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm only jealous of Funkos availability. There's amiibos that I want that are probably gone for good, like the Zelda ones from last year.

On topic, if the body wasn't tiny, it would be alright. I wouldn't mind getting a charizard if they do one of their large figure for it. Make all of the legendaries large. Funkos gonna have another massive money maker.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
It does happy sometimes, but I do agree how this happened to a big box store.

I know a couple of months ago Hasbro accidentally shipped the Marvel Legends Apocalypse wave to comic shops in Canada. They made a statement saying it was supposed to be shipped out yet. So I assume it was just a mistake.

But it's clear Funko has these things ready to go.

They officially announced it today with a release for the end of the month, people are saying Target's system is saying the 29th. It's possible this was something they were waiting to announce at SDCC next week or Fundays later this month.

Here's the official glam shot:
31528_Pokemon_Pikachu_POP_GLAM_large.png

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Those are the best Funko figures I've ever seen in my life. All because they don't have those standard soulless eyes and have a mouth/expression.

People really need to learn the thing they hate is called "Pop!", and the company that makes Pop! is called Funko.
Funko has other lines besides Pop!, those Cuphead vinyls are not part of the Pop! line.

Why is this so hard to grasp for people? oh right, because they would rather hate than be informed.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Collecting like 5 of them is fine... Using half your paycheck every week to stock your wall is just lack of self control... Like those people who drop thousands on gacha mobile games

I thought the allure of Pop! figures was that you don't have to sacrifice much money to get a bunch, they basically cost pocket change.

It's not like you have to chose between eating that month and buying a figure like with nendoroids.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I really don't get the hate for Funko :/
It's them cold, dark, and dead eyes. Also they just look cheap.
The Steven Universe Mystery Minis are really cute. The wife bought a few a year or two back.

71AiOyHQP0L._SL1500_.jpg

She managed to pull the Gamestop-exclusive Rose w/ Mr Universe Shirt on her first try, so she didn't buy many more after that. (Managed to find it by guessing at the weight of the box.)

994963b3-c33c-4c1b-9c4d-7cf8cbfc849b-400x400.jpg
I don't like these either, look like renders for some cheap mobile game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The only good funko pop figures are the cuphead ones, because their design is exactly as the real ones, every other character is rancid trash, theres better designed figuers of pop culture characters at the same price range, at least on the spanish nerd stores I frequent, so I dont undertstand how they are popular.
And if you want Nintendo figures the majority of the amiibos (not some of the more human like) are better than this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
The only good funko pop figures are the cuphead ones, because their design is exactly as the real ones, every other character is rancid trash, theres better designed figuers of pop culture characters at the same price range, at least on the spanish nerd stores I frequent, so I dont undertstand how they are popular.
And if you want Nintendo figures the majority of the amiibos (not some of the more human like) are better than this shit.

The ONLY good ones are Cuphead?

There are some solid ones.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Also Funko's are pretty cheap as far as collectibles go. They are like $12 bucks. Perfect price for a lot of people.
That's why I buy them. I don't care much for the pitch-black eyes, but they're a cheap way to look at my shelf at work and think of (insert game / movie here) while slaving away at the computer.

I'll probably get a Pikachu at the very least.

Oct 28, 2017
My only rule for Funko pops is that I should be able to tell what the character is if it's displayed out of the box. None of those Office, Royal Family, normal person in a shirt pops.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cuphead Pop's aren't great.

6073522_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550
At least they got the Pac-man eyes right. Can't remember what Funko it was but they had another doing those kinds of eyes and had the Pac-man eyes facing opposite directions of each other (both open parts were facing the outside rather than both facing the same direction like it should. Cuphead is the correct way) which is not how that works since the open portion is meant to be seen as light reflection in the eyes.

EDIT: also I don't think this one looks particularly bad to me. Mouth seems rather big but I do still get the feeling of 1930's with its even simpler style.

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I don't care what junk people collect, but don't be surprised if people judge your taste based on it.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goodsmile needs a new line of cheap products and gain more western presence to compete with funko's budget ass looking models.

Also surprised there's no garfield. That cat's everywhere.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I have Ms. Marvel and Lapis Lazuli pops because finding official merch for those characters is nigh impossible.

Nendoroids are more expensive, but better in every way.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't see why people think the Pikachu is especially bad. It's really not any better or worse than other Pops.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu looks great, can't wait to see more from the license.

Hopefully its easier to find; Target has been garbage for stocking exclusives

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
We really got collectible elitists in here lol. Collect what you like. Funko pops are inoffensive. If you're shaking your head because you walk into a house with them in it then lol.

If you pinch your pennies you could spring for a $17 figure:
P3105_703-00021_01.jpg