• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
ITT: People who don't understand what "stylized" means.
Funko makes a wide range of products; there's POPs (which are standardized to all have giant "pop" button eyes), but other parts of their lines include things like the Titans (which look like those old Kid Robot Munny figures), bobbleheads and Rock Candy figures which are more in line to how characters "should" look.

You'll also probably note that this doesn't include other companies lines, like Nintendo's own World of Nintendo stuff/Pokemon's licenses with TOMY and whatever that new company is that's producing Pokemon stuff.

This Pikachu is stylized and there's nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't see why people think the Pikachu is especially bad. It's really not any better or worse than other Pops.

Oh, it definitely does look worse than other Pops. Some have great designs, some don't. I don't dislike the Pikachu one but it's not one of their best.

Their Destiny line is one I love:

destiny-funko-pop.jpg

Many of their Marvel and DC Pops are great too. Some designs translate better than others. Kingdom Hearts is another:

2017-Funko-New-York-Comic-Con-Exclusives-Funko-Pop-Kingdom-Hearts-269-Halloween-Goofy.jpg

ed6780e1-3fad-42c4-8e68-a797bc2ca3eb__55324.1513040024.jpg

They have also gotten... better. Look at the old Goofy design from the early days of Pops (2012) and compare it to above.

109_Goofy.jpg

Now THAT is bad. Haha.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
For Pikachu there's tons of alternatives. Not so much for a bunch of other Pop licenses, though.

This is another thing that helps Pop! stay afloat.

They do franchises absolutely nobody else would touch.

What other figures you can buy of The Golden Girls besides the Pop! ones?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Keep buying funko pops everyone. Company has been great for the town I grew up in. Renovated an unsightly building for their headquarters, employs people in an area where all the businesses moved elsewhere, and holds art classes for underserved youth that would not get them otherwise.

Also can see Nintendo doing more lines if these are successful. Their US headquarters is maybe a 30 minute minute drive (no crippling traffic).

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mostly don't like that funko face.

Totally understandable. The look isn't for everyone. I know some people who hate their Pop figures but love Dorbz, for example.

It's like with Nendoroids: I fully admit that they are a higher quality build with more unique poses. But I personally dislike the look of them. There's a few I like (Tracer is great) but I'm not big on the anime face design.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is another thing that helps Pop! stay afloat.

They do franchises absolutely nobody else would touch.

What other figures you can buy of The Golden Girls besides the Pop! ones?

Haha. My co-worker has those at her desk. That's how they maintain their presence: they have both the collectors like myself and people who don't give a shit about toys but love a certain property, such as Golden Girls.

Don't get me wrong, if there is ever a Betty White Nendoroid, I'm pre-ordering.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heavily dislike pop faces, just, ugh.

Meanwhile I really like Nendoroids.

Honestly I'd rather just have amiibo of every pokemon, even without the NFC. I've enjoyed most amiibo's quality as it is, I'd love for amiibo of all the pokemon I like the most.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I can totally understand why someone don't like POP faces like how I really dislike nendroids' look. They look like infants with some mature body features. Just seems like a bad take on SD proportions. Their quality is very nice though.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Only Nintendroid that looks good to me is Kirby, all the others have that anime look. If I'm going to pay that kind of money on a toy it should look like it, at least pops are only around $10.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu looks great, can't wait to see more from the license.

Hopefully its easier to find; Target has been garbage for stocking exclusives
I saw someone say that Popcurated said they'd be well stocked, I hope so. Target has been doing a decent job of putting their exclusives online lately, even though my local stores are shit at stocking them.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is how many people came into a thread discussing a new line of a product only to post that they hate all of that product.

Get over yourselves and let people have fun, the sheer amount of drive by posting in this thread of people whining about something others clearly enjoy is absolutely absurd. We get it, you don't like it, you don't need to say it in every thread.

That's most Funko threads for you. I just ignore it and move on. My fiance and I collect these as a hobby and to us that's all it really is. If people want to tell me I have bad taste and should by anime figs instead then they can, it doesn't really bother me.
Nendroids rock btw, love the Kirby one

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I would like to apologize for my shit post, I didn't mean to take away anyone's enjoyment.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
10 Inch Pikachu confirmed coming later this year: http://investor.funko.com/news-rele...nko-team-launch-first-ever-pop-pokemon-figure

"As one of the preeminent entertainment properties in the world today, we're thrilled to welcome Pokémon to the Funko Pop! lineup with this exclusive figure," said Brian Mariotti, CEO of Funko. "Pikachu is one of the most recognizable characters in pop culture, and as the ultimate purveyor of pop culture we couldn't be more excited to bring Funko's signature style to the world of Pokémon. So much so that we plan to launch a larger 10-inch scale figure later this year."

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this relaunch ended up being a bust. My Target is already putting them on clearance.

I loved the original Mighty Muggs too. Not really feeling the new ones.

I don't know about older ones, I judt discovered them a few months ago with the latest series of Star Wars and Marvel. In France they're still selling at regular price, but if I ever see them in a bargain bin I'll definitely get some more!

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The 10" one is official, via a Funko press release.

While the 4-inch scale Pikachu marks the first collaboration between Pokémon and Funko, a launch this big couldn't be contained to Funko's traditional figure size. A second Pikachu figure in a 10-inch scale is expected to arrive in stores later this year. Fans can stay tuned for additional details about the larger figure's availability.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I hate Funko Pops but this is so horrifyingly amusing to me that I actually want one.

reminds me I should unbox my Detective Pikachu and use it to see the skits I missed now that I finished that a few weeks ago, too

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Funko Pops suck, but they're there for people who don't want to invest anywhere between $50 to $5000 on an actual figurine. That cheap gift you give a friend who likes some nerdy property since Funkos have the most coverage of many franchises that I've ever seen a company have.

Like yeah, nenderoids are way better, but they're 80% anime based. You're not going to ever get a nendo of freaking Leeloo from Fifth Element, but she has a funco pop.

Now, if you collect them and have a display case just of Funko pops, I'm not sure what to say.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked the aesthetic of Funko Pops, but Pikachu seems inoffensive at least. And unlike other brands that get only Funkos, there's plenty of options for other people who like Pokemon... though that kind of brings up another reason they may not be so great. If I knew someone really wanted a Pikachu figure, I'd probably just spend the extra 5-6 bucks more to get something like this from the official Pokemon Center site.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even pikachu a design easy to not fuck up, is fucked up by funko's shit LOL god I cant stand a majority of them. At least it has a mouth so it doesnt look completely bad
I never liked the aesthetic of Funko Pops, but Pikachu seems inoffensive at least. And unlike other brands that get only Funkos, there's plenty of options for other people who like Pokemon... though that kind of brings up another reason they may not be so great. If I knew someone really wanted a Pikachu figure, I'd probably just spend the extra 5-6 bucks more to get something like this from the official Pokemon Center site.

This! This little thing is awesome