• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i saw Anthem at £4.99 at my nearest GAME shop.

there were so many copies of it sitting there as well. even a fiver is too much to ask apparently.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Not quite the in-store stuff, but this was in the same street of a game shop I used to visit:
V0cvD4p.jpg

Also in said game shop, a clerk used to call the Metroid guy Samsung Aran.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Went to my regular GameStop a few years back to take advantage of a buy 2 get 1 free deal on their used games. As I'm looking around there's a woman with her son or whatever getting rung up. So the cashier starts explaining how there's violence, blood, sex and all the usual M rated jazz and the lady instantly says that he can't get the game. So the kid just flips out. Was hilarious.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
At a local game store once I saw a boxed copy of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES on a shelf bdhind the counter. The only thing I could think was that a manager must have been an AVGN fan.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Ok, so piracy was rampant during the PS2 era in my country, anyways, there was this store inside a mall that you could call, say which game you wanted, show up an hour later and they would have your copy of the game ready for pick up.

I had already bought from them multiple times, but this one time when I arrived to pick up my game the girl at the counter told me she couldn't give it to me inside the store because cops were inspecting the game stores at the mall that day, so she told me to follow her and we ended up walking into the women bathroom and then we both entered a toilet cubicle where she had a bag full of pirated games and that's how I got my copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subistence, great game.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
In the early 00s, I saw two parents/grandparents and a young teenager asking a staff member at EB Games where they stock the burnt discs. When they were told that they don't stock pirated games, they said they just had a mod chip installed in their console and they thought that pirated discs were just home brand/generic versions of a game.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Not really in a game store but a Wendy's
Many years ago, me and my friends were at a line at Wendy's, talking about videogames since it was E3 week that time. The guy in front of us turned around and went into a sudden ramble about micro transactions and how they would be the downfall Of the industry. He finished rambling and just like that took his order and left.

Oct 25, 2017
There was a local game shop near my house during the Dreamcast era. Somehow I became aware of the upcoming game "Seaman" and got really hyped for it as a 11-12 year old.

I probably called that store a dozen times asking "Do you guys have Seaman?" "When does Seaman come out?" "Can you order Seaman from Japan for me?"

The last time a clerk yelled at me because he thought I was crank calling asking for "semen". I didn't understand this exchange until years later. I just wanted to talk to a fish.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This story sounds like the kind of people the people in this thread are complaining/making fun of...

This thread is indeed a sobering reminder of the disparity in what people consider "funny" (or, to be slightly less diplomatic, the yawning gap between how funny people think they are, and the reality). Not that there aren't some truly funny stories in here, but man...

Oh yeah, my example. I had an import store clerk tell me that Final Fantasy Tactics was a better game than Final Fantasy 7, because it came in only one CD, which meant it was more optimized.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Was at GameStop with a few friends and we saw Pokémon Let's Go in the Switch section. My friend and I have a running joke where we say the other is wrong for liking either Pikachu or Eevee better, so I said something like "Oh, see someone traded in Let's Go Eevee but not Pikachu, I wonder why?" and the employee came over and started talking our ear off about how he hates Let's Go and how he traded it in to get The Division 2 because it's such a better game. Really turned me off from wanting to say anything else at the store in fear that he was going to butt in again. A few minutes later, I found Nintendogs for the 3DS (a game I kind of wanted at the time) and the same employee sees me with the game and says "You should get that! It's better than a real dog because it stays a puppy forever and no one likes dogs once they aren't puppies anymore." After that I just left because I didn't want to hear any more from him. Still haven't been back to that GameStop.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Not really in a game store but a Wendy's
Many years ago, me and my friends were at a line at Wendy's, talking about videogames since it was E3 week that time. The guy in front of us turned around and went into a sudden ramble about micro transactions and how they would be the downfall Of the industry. He finished rambling and just like that took his order and left.
Jim, was that you?!

Oct 27, 2017
So the game store where I lived when I was a kid happened to be a computer repair shop and a florist, I know, it's weird.

I tell my mom I want to buy a game, my mom doesn't really want me to buy more games since I had enough games (I had two) it's 1996 and I'm 12 so gaming hasn't really become a thing in the small village I live in. But she gives me some money but she doesn't have change so she hands my a large bill and send me down to the Computer/Florist to buy a game, a cheap game.

But when I arrive I see Diablo, I have no fucking idea what the game is or what you do, but I buy it and it's waaay much more than I'm supposed to spend on game. But being 12 I think that if I buy my mom some flowers with the game I'll get away with it. So I buy some roses and walk home.

Mom was not that pleased that I bought a game at full price and spent almost all the money I had with me, but I bought flowers, not that it helped my situation at all haha.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
One time, the cashier tried to sell me on getting $5 "scratch protection" for a blu-ray disc and that was pretty hilarious.

Wait... that was every single time that I went into a GameStop. Never got old though!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went to gamestop today to pick up Altirera Roronoa Xtrme deluxe ver.2 (this one includes bikinis for all the female assistants and a cat outfit for Reiko-chan). Anyway I had my pre-order and went to pick it up during lunch break. I had the standard edition ordered at amazon but I couldn't wait and wanted something to stare at at work. I decided to browse what else they had in stock (lol yearly sports games) when I heard a mother buying call of duty on the xbone. Can't stand annual sequels let alone dudebro of duty but I was shocked she was considering this. I had to let her know.

She said it was for her 10 year old son which I guess explains it as kids mostly play it. Anyways I politely informed her how the xbone ver. Is capped at 30fps and 720p. She didn't know what I meant so I explained how resolution and framerate effect games. I showed her the digital foundry article comparing the ps4 ver along with side by side videos. She was still set on getting the xbone ver. Which left me mad. Here I was presenting her with PROOF of how the ps4 ver is superior but she wouldn't listen. Oh well, I don't care but let's see what her stupid son thinks when he sees that. Lol and I know GameStop offed no refunds on unsealed games lol!

Anyways. I got to the counter and there was this obnoxious worker chatting to a female worker. I already hated him since he looked like a douche and was womanising at work. He kept smiling at people which was uncomfortable to watch. I told him about my preorder of Roronoa and he said "WHAT, can u speak more loudly sir" ummm I have aspergers/add/ocd/korn so that's how I speak. I don't need no douche who's probably a high school drop out tell me now to speak. Anyway the female worker begins to prepare my game and slightly laughs when she sees it. There's a reason why I don't date 3D human girls and that's why. It's pretty pathetic how Mieko-chama from the horrible hyper Neptune has a better personality then her. And she's a 6th tier maho shoujo in that game :lol.

So the douche asks me if id like to pre-order last of us remastered. I was completely enraged. How dare he ask me to pre Oder something. I'm only here for Roronoa. If I wanted to make conversation id speak with my FRIENDS (on IRC) and this just makes me feel awkward. I twitched and mumbled no. After 10 seconds he asked if I wanted to pre order Titan fall. At this point I lost it (mentally inside) do I look like I fucking have an xbone? Why the fuck would I pay $500 for inferior hardware, inferior ports, no Japanese support and worst of all, support M$. Argghggh. Anyway I mumbled no again and after paying made a for a quick exit.

As I was leaving I bumped into a young woman. I quickly tried moving so not to be a burden but she utters "sorry?" In a condenscending voice, as if I owe her something. It was an ACCIDENT and we were both at fault. Why the fuck do I have to apologise and waste breathe. I awkwardly mumbled something and moved. At that point her douche of a bf appeared and shouted "u better walk away!"........."The last person who said that ended up in hospital" is what I should have said, but I quickly apologised and made for my office. God this country is so fucked. Counting the days till I move Asakusa (20 mins on the hibiya line from Akihabara!)

I'm sitting here now in my office reading the Roronoa manual along with the artbook and I'm still shaking. First it appears they've changed Hinata-chans age from 13 to 16......ummmmmm ok.....? Wish this was announced beforehand but whatever. This is why I never shop at GameStop as it's not the first time I've had a bad experience. but the ver.2 Xtrme edition was exclusive to them.....
I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm considering calling up his boss and telling him what happened today. Anyway, gotta get back to work, sorry, just had to get this off my chest. I'll post screens and leave impressions of Roronoa after work! Used my vacation time so I have the whole week off for this!

Nice. I remember this.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Wasn't a game shop, but at a Walmart. An older Filipino woman was Christmas shopping for I presume her grandkids and she asked the clerk for the Sony "Psssssp" saying it aloud one word like a whisper. She kept on saying Sony Pssssssp. It was quite funny, then I told the clerk I think she means P S P.

He laughed, then she looked at her handwritten note and started laughing too.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Someone in a backpack asking for Dragonball Z Bukkake 3 (I assume he meant Budokai).

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Went to gamestop today to pick up Altirera Roronoa Xtrme deluxe ver.2 (this one includes bikinis for all the female assistants and a cat outfit for Reiko-chan). Anyway I had my pre-order and went to pick it up during lunch break. I had the standard edition ordered at amazon but I couldn't wait and wanted something to stare at at work. I decided to browse what else they had in stock (lol yearly sports games) when I heard a mother buying call of duty on the xbone. Can't stand annual sequels let alone dudebro of duty but I was shocked she was considering this. I had to let her know.

She said it was for her 10 year old son which I guess explains it as kids mostly play it. Anyways I politely informed her how the xbone ver. Is capped at 30fps and 720p. She didn't know what I meant so I explained how resolution and framerate effect games. I showed her the digital foundry article comparing the ps4 ver along with side by side videos. She was still set on getting the xbone ver. Which left me mad. Here I was presenting her with PROOF of how the ps4 ver is superior but she wouldn't listen. Oh well, I don't care but let's see what her stupid son thinks when he sees that. Lol and I know GameStop offed no refunds on unsealed games lol!

Anyways. I got to the counter and there was this obnoxious worker chatting to a female worker. I already hated him since he looked like a douche and was womanising at work. He kept smiling at people which was uncomfortable to watch. I told him about my preorder of Roronoa and he said "WHAT, can u speak more loudly sir" ummm I have aspergers/add/ocd/korn so that's how I speak. I don't need no douche who's probably a high school drop out tell me now to speak. Anyway the female worker begins to prepare my game and slightly laughs when she sees it. There's a reason why I don't date 3D human girls and that's why. It's pretty pathetic how Mieko-chama from the horrible hyper Neptune has a better personality then her. And she's a 6th tier maho shoujo in that game :lol.

So the douche asks me if id like to pre-order last of us remastered. I was completely enraged. How dare he ask me to pre Oder something. I'm only here for Roronoa. If I wanted to make conversation id speak with my FRIENDS (on IRC) and this just makes me feel awkward. I twitched and mumbled no. After 10 seconds he asked if I wanted to pre order Titan fall. At this point I lost it (mentally inside) do I look like I fucking have an xbone? Why the fuck would I pay $500 for inferior hardware, inferior ports, no Japanese support and worst of all, support M$. Argghggh. Anyway I mumbled no again and after paying made a for a quick exit.

As I was leaving I bumped into a young woman. I quickly tried moving so not to be a burden but she utters "sorry?" In a condenscending voice, as if I owe her something. It was an ACCIDENT and we were both at fault. Why the fuck do I have to apologise and waste breathe. I awkwardly mumbled something and moved. At that point her douche of a bf appeared and shouted "u better walk away!"........."The last person who said that ended up in hospital" is what I should have said, but I quickly apologised and made for my office. God this country is so fucked. Counting the days till I move Asakusa (20 mins on the hibiya line from Akihabara!)

I'm sitting here now in my office reading the Roronoa manual along with the artbook and I'm still shaking. First it appears they've changed Hinata-chans age from 13 to 16......ummmmmm ok.....? Wish this was announced beforehand but whatever. This is why I never shop at GameStop as it's not the first time I've had a bad experience. but the ver.2 Xtrme edition was exclusive to them.....
I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm considering calling up his boss and telling him what happened today. Anyway, gotta get back to work, sorry, just had to get this off my chest. I'll post screens and leave impressions of Roronoa after work! Used my vacation time so I have the whole week off for this!
Omg where is this from LOL

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
I worked at a GameStop and I had a guy come in and attempt to trade in a ps2. He told us that his roommate stole his pot and he was trading it in to get reimbursed. We told him that had no value and I offered to buy it off him for $20. He agreed and left after getting paid. That night when I got home I noticed the PS2 network adapter cover wasn't sitting right. I opened it up and found a bunch of pot.

Animekatt

Oct 25, 2017
When I went to a game store in New Mexico, I saw these two for sale. I was told that someone traded in those games with the custom covers, so the store decided to sell them as is.
Za3vo6kl.jpg
httWJk1l.jpg