• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Timestamped from around 5:45 to 6:45.

Edit TLDW: Bethesda wanted ton be bought by MS 3 years ago, Pachter tipped it to Phil Spencer, Matt Booty is a cool guy.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thats quite funny. Can anybody explain that GamePass reasoning (as in him calling the business model dumb) though?

I didnt get his proper reasoning there.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Thats quite funny. Can anybody explain that GamePass reasoning (as in him calling the business model dumb) though?

I didnt get his proper reasoning there.
I wouldn't read to much into it, Pachter has some, lets call them 'weird' hot takes. Like for instance just a bit ago he said he wanted nintendo to iirc stop making the switch as a portable and just have a small console box that stayed plugged into your tv with the same joycons, and then phase out the current switch. So they would sell the switch lite and this new non-portable switch and thats it

Pachter definitely knows stuff, don't get me wrong, but his analysis can sometimes be a bit 'interesting'

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Bethesda wanted ton be bought by MS 3 years ago, Pachter tipped it to Phil Spencer, Matt Booty is a cool guy.
The idea that it needed Pachter to give Phil a tip-off is laughable tbh. Phil and the team at MS has been very close to Zeni/Beth execs for over 20 years, calling them "friends".

EDIT: Watched the video, yeah quite different in context, ignore the above

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Best kept secret in the industry tbh especially if the employees were openly campaigning for MS over EA years ago

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Bethesda wanted ton be bought by MS 3 years ago, Pachter tipped it to Phil Spencer, Matt Booty is a cool guy.
The idea that it needed Pachter to give Phil a tip-off is laughable tbh. Phil and the team at MS has been very close to Zeni/Beth execs for over 20 years, calling them "friends".

EDIT: Watched the video, yeah quite different in context, ignore the above
Should be in the OP.
Done.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I've heard from a dev that people in the industry do like Matt Booty. That said, I take everything Pachter says with less than a grain of salt. Not going to change my standards on that today.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wouldn't read to much into it, Pachter has some, lets call them 'weird' hot takes. Like for instance just a bit ago he said he wanted nintendo to iirc stop making the switch as a portable and just have a small console box that stayed plugged into your tv with the same joycons, and then phase out the current switch. So they would sell the switch lite and this new non-portable switch and thats it

Pachter definitely knows stuff, don't get me wrong, but his analysis can sometimes be a bit 'interesting'

Oh I know. I just usually atleast can follow his string of thought.

Feb 11, 2019

Bro I am so much more inebriated that I thought I was because i am resonating with his 5head take bigly.

Think about it. Eliminate screen and battery and you could make the console smaller than a cell phone. It can connect to tv with a very very small dock. Margins alsp increase. Then, the switch portable could just be a battery and screen attchment you slide tge credict card size console into

And Nintendo could charge more for each piece than individuaally. Big stonks.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Bro I am so much more inebriated that I thought I was because i am resonating with his 5head take bigly.

Think about it. Eliminate screen and battery and you could make the console smaller than a cell phone. It can connect to tv with a very very small dock. Margins alsp increase. Then, the switch portable could just be a battery and screen attchment you slide tge credict card size console into

And Nintendo could charge more for each piece than individuaally. Big stonks.

Making a cheaper, tv only model might make sense, but phasing out the original design seems nonsensical, when the dual purpose nature provides much of the value to the audience.

very few Switch owners use just tv mode. No one is really complaining about the size of the console+dock. Why phase out the top seller? Demand is so high, there's been no price drop in 4 years. Margins are obviously pretty good as is.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm mad the condescending babies was already used in a post lol. I came to post it lol.
What meme is this?

I cant keep up with the memes here, the last ones in the topic I remember were:

1 - Is it legal?
2 - RPG monopoly.
3 - Bye Bertha.
4 - Empty bottles.
5 - Something about devs leaving because they are unhappy with the situation.

What else am I missiing?

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
What meme is this?

1 - Is it legal?
2 - RPG monopoly.
3 - Bye Bertha.
4 - Empity bottles.

What else am I missiing?
I need context for this pls
Back when Pachter worked at gametrailers he would always call his viewers babies due to their age and inexperience with what he's an expert in lol.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
What meme is this?

1 - Is it legal?
2 - RPG monopoly.
3 - Bye Bertha.
4 - Empty bottles.

What else am I missiing?
Think 5 was there would be a mass exodus because they aren't allowed to develop on PlayStation anymore. Lots of gems these last few months.
A new one to add is Microsoft never makes successful things so they just buy companies instead.....

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From reading interviews and other developer comments, I've consistently heard that Matt Booty is a great guy. I believe Tim Schaefer said he was a big reason why he sold to Microsoft.