• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

A.M.

Community Resettler
furryera.png

RrYHVx9.png

The Furries are among you.

Don't panic. A furry is a fan or enthusiast of anthropomorphic (human-like) creatures. Make it walk, make it talk, and furries will be there.

"Funny animals" are closely associated with comic strips and cartoons. There is no shortage of furries who are into those. Nearly anything else counts too: live action movies and TV, written fiction, art, table-top RPGs featuring playable beasties, and just about every MMORPG in which a pair of animal ears may be glued onto your toon during character creation.

The furry fandom is different from a lot of genre clubs. Based on a general idea without any specific media format or franchise as a tentpole, furry is mostly built from the ground up. It is the definition of chaos. If one takes a moment to talk to a furry fan, their individual motivations are almost unique. There is great emphasis on fan participation. Furries make a lot of content - at times it all seems like an arts and crafts fair devoted to curiously buff wolves. Taking a lead from their friends in the science fiction, fantasy, and anime communities, furry fans build costumes -- some of the most elaborately-crafted you'll find, in fact. Contrary to internet rumors however, none of it is as serious as you might think.

Furries freak a lot of people out, and that's okay. What furries are into isn't common. The furry subculture tends to sweep up a colorful variety of odd people. Most adults no longer think about things like funny animals, and may not see why anyone would. The media loves furries - as long as they're the most outrageous furry in the room. Furries tend to be rather frank about having kinks. Many share a quality common to geeks and nerds everywhere: not knowing when to shut up about their favorite thing, especially to non-fans.

Of course, none of that means there's anything wrong with being a furry fan.

Not everyone who likes anthro things will call themselves a furry, and that's okay too. Furry fandom represents a particular subculture, but it's a subset of anthropomorphism, not the other way around. Fox McCloud isn't a talking animal because he's a furry, furries like him because he's a talking animal. Thanks to the Regular Show, everyone has now been a talking animal for 15 minutes.

This is all probably pretty heavy for something so silly. People and groups will always be labeled, FurryGAF's container may as well be clearly and accurately marked.

Remember, this is a PUBLIC FORUM, that means absolutely NO NSFW or Questionable Content.

!TEMPLATE VERY MUCH SLOPPY AND VERY MUCH A WORK IN PROGRESS!

VERY, VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PREVIOUS CREATOR (AND THE BORROWED TEMPLATE FOR THE CURRENT TOPIC!), CHUCK, FOR ALL THE HARD WORK AND THE PERMISSION, WULFRIC FOR THE NEW TOPIC TAG AND THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY! THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO GREAT AND LOVING!!! <3

Discord: https://discord.gg/wb77rNH

Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/REFurries

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, we're back! Anyone going to MFF this year? I know a couple people were talking about it.

Bobinator

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't make it to the first one of these, but now I'm here! Hello! Dinosaurs are pretty great.

I don't have any art on hand, but I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for something cool. Nice to meet ya'll!

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey (I used to go by Bornstellar).

I wore a wolf Kigurumi to a Halloween party. Inching closer or already there?

Last edited:

MisterDodo

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Do many people actually still play that? When I tried it a while back, it seemed to be mostly a lot of people standing still and not talking. If there's any times you know when there's any activity going on, I'd give it a shot.
I remember playing it a long time ago, and having no clue about what was going on. Very strange game. Seemed to be a lot of small roleplaying communities, and standing. A lot of standing.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is it regal north african/balkan cat day?

When ISN'T it regal cat day? Especially during Caturday.

Do you draw these yourself, because, hot damn, these are so good.

It's like Louis Wain times 10.

Haha, I wish. Nah, I just was thinking about what artwork to post and went through my imgur favourites, found that series of pictures there and decided this would be a good entrance post.
If you want to see the whole lot, here's the album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/2u6BW

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I remember playing it a long time ago, and having no clue about what was going on. Very strange game. Seemed to be a lot of small roleplaying communities, and standing. A lot of standing.

Yeah, I tried it back in '03 or so and had the hardest time figuring out what there was to do. I really like the fact you can make your own custom picture/character sprites, though.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Do many people actually still play that? When I tried it a while back, it seemed to be mostly a lot of people standing still and not talking. If there's any times you know when there's any activity going on, I'd give it a shot.

The community is smaller. A lot of the oldies have moved on, but few newcomers. Most of the game now is comprised of small RP communities and just persona play out of character stuff.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
So, what has FurryERA been up to? Been recently working on my writing (mediocre, but getting better).

I prolly should be working on my writing too since im going to tackle Nanowrimo, but havent started my notes and outline, got a decent idea of the overall story im my head.

Tangentially related to the thread, it's gonna be a cheesy story about werewolves.

MisterDodo

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I prolly should be working on my writing too since im going to tackle Nanowrimo, but havent started my notes and outline, got a decent idea of the overall story im my head.

Tangentially related to the thread, it's gonna be a cheesy story about werewolves.
I wish you luck! I believe there's been a lot of elements within literature involving werewolves and transformative elements that haven't been touched upon. Most seem to linger on the desire and romantic elements behind it instead of the potential for drama, but maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I like the werewolf that's part of the header during this Steam sale. Really cute.

Steam-Halloween-Sale-2017-696x392.jpg

I really need more games featuring werewolves by the way.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all! Glad to see this community is here. Seeing furs in gaming is always nice. I'm not sure how much I'll be in this thread, but I'll definitely be checking in from time to time.