• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
ewLHX6k.png

From the investors briefing, Nintendo has finally revealed numbers for Nintendo Switch Online. Currently at 8 million subscribers.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Its cheap enough where people couldn't give a damn about spending cash to play online. Its gonna be even higher by next with Pokemon and AC.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Cheap for consumers and free money for them. Imho it's not worth it yet but i'd say snes games would justify it fully

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn. Much higher than I would have thought. Now hopefully they improve it significantly with all the money they're pulling in from it

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Dont get why its shocking. Its dirt cheap, especially on a family plan, and particular games like Splatoon are gimped without it.

Its great news that there are 8 million subs but that doesnt mean its an amazing service at all. Hopefully Nintendo can take a deep look at it and improve it more for the future.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
A quarter of consoles sold having a subscription is mind boggling with it really not offering that much. A cheap fee for online play seems to be doing great, hope Sony and Microsoft take notice of the high quick uptake and have a cheaper online-play-only option for their next gen subs.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Guess they ain't walking this back for all the complainers lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Ultimate certaintly helped.

Some rough calculations here, but assuming 2$ per month, that could mean $48m in revenue every quarter.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Surpisingly high number but I guess being cheap is why (if you buy lots of Switch games you probably get enough gold point to pay for online).
All Nintendo needs to do now is just drop that shit phone app and incorporate those features into Switch OS.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
That's...surprisingly high.

And I hope Nintendo understands just how bad the service actually is, and doesn't interpret that subscriber number to mean that their service is amazing.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's...surprisingly high.

And I hope Nintendo understands just how bad the service actually is, and doesn't interpret that subscriber number to mean that their service is amazing.
I have some hope that they understand the service has created complaints, based on their recent hirings and on the Nikkei report earlier this morning.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
A quarter of consoles sold having a subscription is mind boggling with it really not offering that much. A cheap fee for online play seems to be doing great, hope Sony and Microsoft take notice of the high quick uptake and have a cheaper online-play-only option for their next gen subs.
Absolutely no way their services get cheaper. People are already happy to pay $60/yr for those services. The only thing that could lower that price by like maybe $10 is dropping the monthly games, but neither will do that now that it's expected of both. Even if they did, for years, people had been paying Microsoft $60/yr for online multiplayer without monthly games.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been saying this for a while, but despite the comparatively anemic offerings compared to the competition, NSO always had the benefit of being really goddamn cheap. To this day I still wish PS4 and XBO could offer a "lite" subscription service that's used exclusively for online play if we're still forced to live in this pretty shitty reality where companies need to charge for online functions.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I have 6 friends in my Nintendo online family. I pay for everyone because $35 is dirt cheap & it lets me smash with them whenever I want. There are probably plenty of people just like me that are counted in that number but we only represent $35/yr rather than $120.

Oct 28, 2017
That explains why Nintendo doesn't feel an urgency to add highly requested features to the service. Might not add any anything really cool outside of NES games until the year anniversary comes around.

See you in September SNES games....

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
For some reason I joined a family plan with some Era posters here but I'm still being charged monthly.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the surprise tbh

we can shit on their online service as a general critique of what it offers and still know full well people are gonna buy it because it's cheap and you need it to play online