• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
From PSLS:

In a recent interview with Aaron Kaufman, the Sony Santa Monica's Senior Community Strategist revealed that the next series in the God of War franchise will stick with the Norse mythology, and that as a company, Sony Santa Monica wants to continue exploring the theme of evolving Kratos and having him interact with his son.

Bound me with the chains of Olympus if old.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Makes sense. You don't want to go Assassins Creed and change locations every game so complete the Norse story line and then move on.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony Santa Monica wants to continue exploring the theme of evolving Kratos and having him interact with his son.

Oh i thought either Kratos or the kid will die in GoW :D
Well, i was wrong.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His Son lives then. i guess he will get god's next tool treatment eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's enough mythology there to keep doing cool things. But it'd be a shame if they didn't do something rad like having various mythologies battling for dominion.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, they're only just now establishing the story with his son, it'd be weird if they just jumped to a different pantheon of gods from game-to-game. I wouldn't want that to become this series' "gimmick".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So it'll be the Norse Deicide trilogy, then.

I wonder if Kratos will leave any of them alive and mentally/emotionally unscathed this time around.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Sony Santa Monica wants to continue exploring the theme of evolving Kratos and having him interact with his son.

Well, i was wrong.

I mean, Kratos can die and the kid can grow, become the main character but still deal with Kratos ghost or themes of guild and resentment :P

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm ... so this makes it sound like maybe you won't be seeing/facing all the well known Norse Gods in this game.

I want Kratos to give Thor the Hercules treatment.

Jan 2, 2018
They wouldn't basically reboot the series and invest so much in new world building and lore using rich mythology like this just to use it all in one game. I expect at least a trilogy and then,if people want more from the series,they will move to Egyptian mythology.
Anyway,they will probably do Ragnarok at some point (:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
God of War II

Kratos's hardest challenge begins as he explains to Atreus why he suddenly has more hair in areas than before.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If by evolving Kratos they mean turning him into an actual character and not the worthless garbagedump he is currently then props to them. I however don't think they have the writing talent for it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
No shit.

Setting up the world, journey and Ragnarok in one game would be a bit much.

There will be a few games with norse mythology before GoW gets retired as a franchise or gets a full reboot exploring a new mythology with no Kratos this time

Oct 27, 2017
Yes at least a trilogy. I hope they make some spin offs for this myth specially 2D games!
Then time to go to Egypt myth by open world RPG genre!

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nooooooo

I hoped we would kill at least Thor in this one.
Maybe there is hope

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

Well, i was wrong.

I thought for sure Kratos would die in this. It's almost a little spoilery to announce this info already. Oh well.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said before, about state of new GoW PS4 trilogy.
Episode 1 - adorable son
Episode 2 - edgelord son
Episode 3 - rebel son

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they just spoil the game? I mean it was a long shot they would kill off Kratos and have his son take over, but still.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos will fight Atreus eventually.
I love long running stories, it should be cool raising Atreus up and eventually fighting him in a showdown in like 10 year from now.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They are setting up a new trilogy. Kratos will probably die either in this first game, or second game. I don't think anyone is expecting Kratos to survive the entirety of the Norse God arc.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Since they've already confirmed that his son wasn't going to die, this makes sense to keep him around for another trilogy.

Kratos doesn't have to lose a child again this time around.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Seems kinda dumb to bring him back from the dead simply to kill him. Its more likely kiddo is going get rekt super hard and thus pissing off Kratos.
It feels even less likely that they'd pull the whole "Kratos was happy, then the gods killed his family" again IMO.

When you pass the torch in movies and games, it almost always comes at the cost of the mentor. Star Wars is the easiest (and laziest) example since they've done it 4 times in 8 movies.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And then the ultimate conclusion with Kratos' Son vs Jesus Christ. The Son of God vs the Son of God