• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Xbox One X released a good 8 months after Ryzen 1000. Not sure if that would have been enough time, but it at least seems plausible.
This is what anantech said about this

"this likely came down to several factors. They may have been able to leverage Ryzen cores, but it would have been difficult to get Ryzen into the new APU on the timelines required. Jaguar is also going to take up less of their die space as well, which is important when you are limited by your total die budget, and as we saw with the Xbox One's eSRAM, taking die space for non-GPU functions can be a problem. Finally, since the Xbox One X will be completely backwards compatible with the Xbox One, keeping the same CPU architecture likely makes this an easier transition."

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering aside from technicalities, how do people view the difference concretely between an iterative successor and a mid -gen refresh ?

My first assumption would be that an iterative model implies that the pro would be capable to play "some" of the games that available on a "Switch 2" (releasing in 2024/2025 for example) while the mariko models are completely left behind. And this would include first party exclusives as well.

Otherwise even if the Switch Pro is leaning heavily towards being closer to a successor, it won't matter much from an outsider perspective and would still be more of a mid gen refresh.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Just to entertain armoured_bear's expectations, what's the absolute worst chip they could possibly acquire, assuming all those rumors of DLSS are false and we do not know what the true bottom limit is other than it needing to play Switch games? That means 4k support would definitely have to go out through the window as well.
The worst case scenario would be that it's just a Switch XL. Innards are completely the same, but we get the 7" OLED display.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I'm wondering aside from technicalities, how do people view the difference concretely between an iterative successor and a mid -gen refresh ?

My first assumption would be that an iterative model implies that the pro would be capable to play "some" of the games that available on a "Switch 2" (releasing in 2024/2025 for example) while the mariko models are completely left behind. And this would include first party exclusives as well.

Otherwise even if the Switch Pro is leaning heavily towards being closer to a successor, it won't matter much from an outsider perspective and would still be more of a mid gen refresh.
Mid gen refresh to me means it will having almost the same exact library. Like the n3DS or DSi there might be a handful of exclusives, but you'll mostly just see performance increases like the PS4Pro and XBX.

Iterative means it is still fully compatible with everything we already have like the other option, but a larger number will only come to the new one. Kind of like the Gameboy Color. Or even like a smartphone. Eventually the older ones stop getting supported while new ones keep getting new stuff. I'd also expect that whenever a Switch 2 (or whatever) comes along, a lot of games will continue to hit this iteration, but not the original.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Mid gen refresh to me means it will having almost the same exact library. Like the n3DS or DSi there might be a handful of exclusives, but you'll mostly just see performance increases like the PS4Pro and XBX.

Iterative means it is still fully compatible with everything we already have like the other option, but a larger number will only come to the new one. Kind of like the Gameboy Color. Or even like a smartphone. Eventually the older ones stop getting supported while new ones keep getting new stuff. I'd also expect that whenever a Switch 2 (or whatever) comes along, a lot of games will continue to hit this iteration, but not the original.

When you mention this larger library, would it mainly be third party ports or do you think Nintendo would include a few exclusives themselves (in 2023 for example).

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
The pro'll come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow, tomorrow
New hardware tomorrow
It is always a day away

BedoBeer

May 29, 2018
Hi everyone, lurker here, loving the conversation all around, thank you for sharing all those information, it's the best place on the internet (or should I say the sanest?) for discussing the revision.
I voted mid gen refresh because iterative would be too amazing, but maybe someone could explain to me why we are considering iterative at first?
I seem to remember back in 2015-16 in the NX days that some PR or leaker was adamant about NX being an iterative platform with multiple devices running the same game but I looked it up on Google for 10 minutes and didn't found shit.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Hi everyone, lurker here, loving the conversation all around, thank you for sharing all those information, it's the best place on the internet (or should I say the sanest?) for discussing the revision.
I voted mid gen refresh because iterative would be too amazing, but maybe someone could explain to me why we are considering iterative at first?
I seem to remember back in 2015-16 in the NX days that some PR or leaker was adamant about NX being an iterative platform with multiple devices running the same game but I looked it up on Google for 10 minutes and didn't found shit.
Because Iwata hinted at this back in 2014 while the Switch (NX) was still a secret.

www.nintendolife.com

Iwata Looking To Emulate iOS And Android With A Common Platform For Future Nintendo Hardware

Handheld and Home Console Divisions to "Become Like Brothers"

I think these days, a software ecosystem is more important than new generations fresh starts.

People are used to phones, tablets and other devices these days, and everything is under one ecosystem, no matter the device you are using. Say you are using Android, you get access to all your apps and games on any brand of phone and tablet. Same with iOS; no matter if you have an iPhone 12 or an iPad, you are in the same ecosystem.

Having an ecosystem is more important than a new generation. It makes sense to iterate (but again, Nintendo doesn't always makes sense).

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Or most games will made exclusively for the new Switch (especially 3rd party ports of current gen games) and the original Switch model will get cloud versions (since this is already happening) because there is no way those games will run natively on such antiquated hardware. Not sure why people think the 3DS > New 3DS thing will happen when there will be a much more significant and bigger generational gap in power between this new Switch and the original one.

HoserMess

Mar 5, 2021
youtu.be

Nintendo Switch - OLED Model - Announcement Trailer

Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! Nintendo Switch - OLED Model brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience with a vibrant 7-i...

www.nintendo.com

Nintendo Switch – OLED Model - Nintendo - Official Site

Learn about the Nintendo Switch™ – OLED Model system, with its vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, wide adjustable stand, dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio.

booyah...sort of

BedoBeer

May 29, 2018
Because Iwata hinted at this back in 2014 while the Switch (NX) was still a secret.

www.nintendolife.com

Iwata Looking To Emulate iOS And Android With A Common Platform For Future Nintendo Hardware

Handheld and Home Console Divisions to "Become Like Brothers"

I think these days, a software ecosystem is more important than new generations fresh starts.

People are used to phones, tablets and other devices these days, and everything is under one ecosystem, no matter the device you are using. Say you are using Android, you get access to all your apps and games on any brand of phone and tablet. Same with iOS; no matter if you have an iPhone 12 or an iPad, you are in the same ecosystem.

Having an ecosystem is more important than a new generation. It makes sense to iterate (but again, Nintendo doesn't always makes sense).

That's the stuff I was looking for thank you, I'm completely aware of the use of iterative, PC is pretty good but I'm still team mid gen, it's still to small of a hint, and I don't see anyone being impressed by the new models exclusive games in 2025
Or would some games already be exclusive right now like some of those impossible to run cloud titles?
Would that mean Nintendo's games are standard Switch for the foreseeable future?
That would make everything quite complexe, is that release a new switch game or not?
It will be hard to justify Genshin impact has new device exclusive while having Doom and Witcher 3 on the original, every release would be "au petit bonheur la chance" lol, considering how important mommy daddy and the grandparents being easily able to understand and purchase the game for it to be a success that create tons of challenge to me, or has anyone a better idea of how to make this work on the pr/marketing side like how to make good use of that iterative system without losing in clarity?

BedoBeer

May 29, 2018
Darkness my old friends, it's basically a DS Lite style refresh, still pretty good but yeah not what I was expecting

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Huh. A better screen and the larger internal memory is about the only thing I'd get any use out of from this new model so I think I'll pass and wait for the next Switch.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
Unfortunately, it appears that aula was right.
I looked at the specs and soc is TX1.
Yeah, that's Nintendo.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
You can forget about Switch Pro, it ain't coming. It's not launching this year or the next, so it'll just be Switch 2 in 2023. There's no Switch Pro. Time to pack it up bois.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Just...what? Years later, and they even increase the price because of the better screen for same performance...
thats just... =O

(By the way, how useless is o-led without HDR... shure, better than the original, but honestly...)

Falcato

Nov 2, 2017
$350
7" OLED display
64GB of storage
Ethernet port
Better stand

BUT: same SoC, for $350. Pass. If I'm gonna keep playing the same games in portable mode at 480p20fps might as well keep doing it in my launch Switch 🤷🏻‍♂️

And in Chile this thing is going to cost like $500.000 CLP (~$800 usd)