• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I feel like the SoC being taped out on early 2022 only makes sense if Nintendo's planning on releasing a new model at around summer 2022 (June ~ September 2022).

Let me clarify:

The new SoC is based on info given to me from contacts in the position to know such things. The time frame for the chip being taped out is informed speculation on my part. It's not set in stone.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Was this already shared on here?
It was liked by Kopite7kimi on Twitter, just thought that was interesting...

I can't say I have very much faith in this article. Here's a line from it:

The Tegra X1 features 256 CUDA cores with a 16nm 20nm node (The revision is based on the 16nm node, Switch uses the original)

As I'm sure anyone in this thread knows, the Switch hasn't used the 20nm TX1 since 2019. If they don't even know what chip the Switch is actually using then I can't place a whole lot of trust in their claim that it's going out of production.

As an aside, I think a lot of this discussion of Switch chips going out of production is based on a misunderstanding between the original 20nm TX1 and the 16nm/12nm Mariko/TX1+. The original 20nm TX1 reached end-of-life in January, according to Nvidia, however they list Jetson Nano as being available until 2025. That means they can't possibly be terminating Mariko/TX1+ production this year, as they've committed to keeping Jetson Nano available for another 4 years, and they can't do that without TX1 chips (which don't exist any more) or Mariko chips. I think some people have seen the TX1 reaching end of life and, not realising the distinction between it and Mariko, are erroneously reporting that "Switch's SoC is ending production" when the actual SoC Switch currently uses is still very much in production. Not everyone keeps up on the minutia of die shrinks and revisions of console SoCs, so it's hardly that surprising.

That doesn't mean Nintendo is going to keep using Mariko for any particular length of time; they could drop it later this year and Nvidia would simply keep a trickle of production going for Jetson Nano, but they can also keep using it for as long as they want.

This supports my theory that the Pro is likely $350-$399 and that it won't replace the $299 model.

If the current Tegra X1 gets an OLED screen, it could mean we see this revision shortly after production starts. It also suggests that Nintendo is trying to increase the appeal of the $299 hardware without cutting the price.

Yeah, if there's a new $299 model this year then they're obviously not going to replace it at the same price point six months later. My guess would be $399 for the more powerful model in that case, as a $50 difference seems very low given the performance gap. Also agreed that a new OLED Switch model could come sooner than we expect if it's still using Mariko. Judging by Bloomberg's timeline for the OLED panels, September's a distinct possibility.

This idea does resolve most of the ongoing rumors, yeah. But not all of them. The idea that Mariko production is ending/has ended and the issue with "Aula" being a unique code name for a hybrid (as in, it starts with "A" whereas Icosa and Iowa start with "I").

So I feel like something else is going on here but it's unclear what exactly yet.

Well, as I said above I'm not particularly convinced that Mariko production is ending, and we could be reading too much into the code names. It could be, for example, that models compatible with the original 1080p dock start with I, but models which are compatible with the new HDMI 2.1 dock start with A? It could be loads of things, but looking for patterns with a single digit number of examples and then being confused when new data doesn't fit that pattern isn't anything new. :)

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I feel like the SoC being taped out on early 2022 only makes sense if Nintendo's planning on releasing a new model at around summer 2022 (June ~ September 2022).
Let me clarify:

The new SoC is based on info given to me from contacts in the position to know such things. The time frame for the chip being taped out is informed speculation on my part. It's not set in stone.
I'm assuming that timeframe is wrong, because a Tape out occurs waaay before mass production and rollout.
Like that's when you've just got the machines configured to fabricate the Dies but havent even produced prototype silicon yet.

EDIT: Tape out to Roll out can be like a 1 and a half year timeframe

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I'm assuming that timeframe is wrong, because a Tape out occurs waaay before mass production and rollout.
Like that's when you've just got the machines configured to fabricate the Dies but havent even produced prototype silicon yet.
Does a tape out of chips (APUs, SoCs, etc.) usually occur at a minimum of 6 months before mass production begins? Or does it take longer (i.e. 1 year)?

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
But they just sold ~28 goddam million of them last year, they don't need to stick a new hat on it to shift stock. I don't understand that concept any more than all the others, but nothing seems to make sense to me

It's not like nintendo has their own fabs a d is completely in control of everything.

Tsmc's current state of 16nm certainly doesnt look like it would be able to guarantee 28 million soc's to nintendo this year. And they just raised the prices on 16nm after their discount didnt pan out, 16nm was only 13% of their 2020 revenue.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I have very much faith in this article. Here's a line from it:

As I'm sure anyone in this thread knows, the Switch hasn't used the 20nm TX1 since 2019. If they don't even know what chip the Switch is actually using then I can't place a whole lot of trust in their claim that it's going out of production.

As an aside, I think a lot of this discussion of Switch chips going out of production is based on a misunderstanding between the original 20nm TX1 and the 16nm/12nm Mariko/TX1+. The original 20nm TX1 reached end-of-life in January, according to Nvidia, however they list Jetson Nano as being available until 2025. That means they can't possibly be terminating Mariko/TX1+ production this year, as they've committed to keeping Jetson Nano available for another 4 years, and they can't do that without TX1 chips (which don't exist any more) or Mariko chips. I think some people have seen the TX1 reaching end of life and, not realising the distinction between it and Mariko, are erroneously reporting that "Switch's SoC is ending production" when the actual SoC Switch currently uses is still very much in production. Not everyone keeps up on the minutia of die shrinks and revisions of console SoCs, so it's hardly that surprising.

That doesn't mean Nintendo is going to keep using Mariko for any particular length of time; they could drop it later this year and Nvidia would simply keep a trickle of production going for Jetson Nano, but they can also keep using it for as long as they want.

Yeah, if there's a new $299 model this year then they're obviously not going to replace it at the same price point six months later. My guess would be $399 for the more powerful model in that case, as a $50 difference seems very low given the performance gap. Also agreed that a new OLED Switch model could come sooner than we expect if it's still using Mariko. Judging by Bloomberg's timeline for the OLED panels, September's a distinct possibility.

Well, as I said above I'm not particularly convinced that Mariko production is ending, and we could be reading too much into the code names. It could be, for example, that models compatible with the original 1080p dock start with I, but models which are compatible with the new HDMI 2.1 dock start with A? It could be loads of things, but looking for patterns with a single digit number of examples and then being confused when new data doesn't fit that pattern isn't anything new. :)

That makes a ton of sense, that people are mistaking TX1's EOL for TX1+. That's probably the best theory to resolve that rumor. Perhaps Thugstas could chime in if he has any thoughts on that.

I still feel like the code name points to something more than the same type of redbox revision but I'll admit it's certainly not clear evidence of anything, just of a feeling.

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's not just the performance increase, Matt confirmed it's a different SoC altogether.
Yeah I saw that earlier.

It's not like nintendo has their own fabs a d is completely in control of everything.

Tsmc's current state of 16nm certainly doesnt look like it would be able to guarantee 28 million soc's to nintendo this year. And they just raised the prices on 16nm after their discount didnt pan out, 16nm was only 13% of their 2020 revenue.

I don't know any details of Tsmc's fabs, just saying the idea that they have stock to get rid of after a record breaking unexpected year doesn't seem right.
But sure if they have a cost effective plan to replace Switch & Switch Lite over a year I don't have a problem with the idea that they are ending TX1 this year.

Thraktor yes that was always my favourite potential conclusion to that rumour, it's the funniest option.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

What I can say is that as of right now, the final design (for the hardware I've heard about) hasn't been taped out. Again, when that will happen is informed speculation on my part, but it hasn't happened yet (not speculation).

Oct 26, 2017
What I can say is that as of right now, the final design (for the hardware I've heard about) hasn't been taped out. Again, when that will happen is informed speculation on my part, but it hasn't happened yet (not speculation).

So being mass produced by July wouldn't be out of the question yet? I have no idea how long these things go through testing.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
But wait, that doesn't line up at all.

We know there are Devkits out, and a good number based on what has been stated by other reputable leakers.
If it's a 2022 Release, that is WAAAAAAAAY too early for a Revision/Pro Devkit with only a few 3rd party exclusives expected in it's first 3 years to be out to that many, or even outside of Nintendo's First/2nd parties.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Something not being taped out wouldn't really jive with dev kits already being out and about, but maybe I'm mistaken.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. So is the Bloomberg report of 2021 release nothing, and "Pro" isn't hitting until 2022?

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
So bring mass produced by July wouldn't be out of the question yet? I have no idea how long these things go through testing.
I think it depends on when the SoC is being tapped out.

Anyway, if the SoC is being tapped out in early 2022, I guess the new model might be released on late summer/early autumn 2023 at the earliest if taping out the SoC takes 1.5 years before mass production.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
That makes a ton of sense, that people are mistaking TX1's EOL for TX1+. That's probably the best theory to resolve that rumor. Perhaps Thugstas could chime in if he has any thoughts on that.

I still feel like the code name points to something more than the same type of redbox revision but I'll admit it's certainly not clear evidence of anything, just of a feeling.

Oh, yeah, I don't expect it to be a redbox style revision (which 90% of consumers probably weren't aware of), I'd fully expect they'd advertise it as being a new HDR model, or something along those lines. They would definitely have some kind of branding to clearly reflect that it's got an improved screen (and maybe HDR output via the new dock).

In my earlier posts about this (here and here), I had referred to it as a Switch "S" and Switch "X", and I think the XBox One S and X would be a good model for it. They don't necessarily have to change the name of the base model, but maybe a change in visual design (certainly a move to a 7" screen would be noticeable in and of itself), and definitely highlighted by Nintendo as a new model. Then the "X" model would follow the same design language, but with a different colour or otherwise enough changes to make it clear which is which.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I think it depends on when the SoC is being tapped out.

Anyway, if the SoC is being tapped out in early 2022, I guess the new model might be released on late summer/early autumn 2023 at the earliest if taping out the SoC takes 1.5 years before mass production.
Again though, if Devkits are out, as stated by Nate and others, that means the SoC is either finalized or about to be finalized to the point it will enter production within a month or so.

You do not send Devkits out to 3rd parties for a product over a year out, especially if it's a Pro/Revision/Upgrade with only a few exclusives expected in it's first few years.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

We know there are Devkits out, and a good number based on what has been stated by other reputable leakers.
If it's a 2022 Release, that is WAAAAAAAAY too early for a Revision/Pro Devkit with only a few 3rd party exclusives expected in it's first 3 years to be out to that many, or even outside of Nintendo's First/2nd parties.

Yeah I'm just super confused now.

Imran said dev kits should be out and to mostly expect framerate and resolution improvements. The only thing that makes sense is for folks to be talking about two different things (or to be completely misinformed)

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
So, after all, are we assuming that the upgraded revision won't come out until next year at the earliest?

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021

Imran said dev kits should be out and to mostly expect framerate and resolution improvements. The only thing that makes sense is for folks to be talking about two different things (or to be completely misinformed)
Irman said Devkits are out, Nate and others stated this was accurate, Nate said he knows of one Exclusive in development for the new system.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
So being mass produced by July wouldn't be out of the question yet? I have no idea how long these things go through testing.

It wouldn't be advisable. After the signoff process (which the new SoC may be under as we speak, I dunno), there are a series of debugging/verification/validation tests to go through that can take several months to complete. Also, not all tape outs are successful (though ideally you'd want to address any errors pre-silicon) and can go through multiple iterations, usually if there are problems.

Considering the above factors, I'm not confident about the new SoC beginning mass production by July, but I don't wanna speculate too much about what's going on there.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
First off i'd like to say thank you for your work, I do believe you.

However, is it possible that this is actually the "Switch Pro Lite" chip (ie smaller node version) or Switch 2?
Because if it's not taped out now, not only is it not coming this year, it's probably not coming next year :(

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Those two reports aren't mutually exclusive. You can have dev kits based on non-finalized specs. If I recall correctly, that was the case with the PS4 & PS5.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Again though, if Devkits are out, as stated by Nate and others, that means the SoC is either finalized or about to be finalized to the point it will enter production within a month or so.

You do not send Devkits out to 3rd parties for a product over a year out, especially if it's a Pro/Revision/Upgrade with only a few exclusives expected in it's first few years.

I didn't say anything about the silicon used in the dev kits.

Those two reports aren't mutually exclusive. You can have dev kits based on non-finalized specs. If I recall correctly, that was the case with the PS4 & PS5.

Exactly.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

It's the best to trust the most reputable sources. I'm still on the team Mochi-Nate-Imran. This thing exists and will enter mass production in summer. Devkits are out there are people are already making exclusives for it. Period.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
What if the Pro doesn't replace the OG model and Nintendo launches both a Pro model and an updated version of the OG at the same time just like Sony did with the PS4 Pro and the PS4 Slim?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It seems that everyone missed the part where I said the early 2022 taped out estimate was likely at the latest, lol

First off i'd like to say thank you for your work, I do believe you.

However, is it possible that this is actually the "Switch Pro Lite" chip (ie smaller node version) or Switch 2?
Because if it's not taped out now, not only is it not coming this year, it's probably not coming next year :(

As I've mentioned before, I have no idea how it's going to be marketed/positioned. I personally haven't seen direct evidence of the dev kits either, but I've heard about them and believe they've been sent out. Is it possible that the hardware I've heard about is a successor? Sure, but I don't know either way.

From what I've heard, the dev kits are not final spec, so I expect them to evolve as the new SoC gets ready for mass production.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Devkits can be out before the final SoC has been taped out. There's nothing strange about that.

And assembly can begin in July for the Aula model, there's no clear indication that this "pro" will begin production or launch near whatever Aula turns out to be.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
So the DLSS + 4K Switch is definitely not 2021, then?
No. we don't know.

Based on what Nate, -Imran, and Mochi have stated, it seems that Devkits are out there at a decent amount of companies having them.

If the SoC is finalized or near finalization, screen production starting in June, and Assembly in July, that means it would most likely hit in Fall 2021 still as otherwise it'd be too early to send Devkits out, especially for a system like this one that isn't an Next-Gen Switch in marketing terms.

Nov 1, 2020
Just throwing this out there so the possibility can be crossed out or not:
brainchild: would you say that the new SoC you're hearing about is the same as the one that Nate is hearing? Or are you two hearing about different new SoCs, thus the prospective timeline confusion the rest of us are having?

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Did something happened today? I came back from work and noticed that this thread is very active.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
No. we don't know.

Based on what Nate, -Imran, and Mochi have stated, it seems that Devkits are out there at a decent amount of companies having them.

If the SoC is finalized or near finalization, screen production starting in June, and Assembly in July, that means it would most likely hit in Fall 2021 still as otherwise it'd be too early to send Devkits out, especially for a system like this one that isn't an Next-Gen Switch in marketing terms.
Because some of the insiders said that the DevKits don't have the finalized specs yet, and how Brainchild mentioned how long the process usually takes after the specs of the hardware are finalized, I'm having a hard time seeing the "Pro" as a 2021 release.

The other model seems locked for Fall 2021, though.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017

More so than that, I'm pretty sure the first dev-kits for new consoles are always pre-silicon. Otherwise you give developers almost no time to get games ready for the system.

Edit: Actually, Switch was probably the one exception to this, as TX1 was already available to use in dev kits.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just throwing this out there so the possibility can be crossed out or not:
brainchild: would you say that the new SoC you're hearing about is the same as the one that Nate is hearing? Or are you two hearing about different new SoCs, thus the prospective timeline confusion the rest of us are having?

I can't speak for Nate. He's shared his info about a revision doing 4K via DLSS, and that would make sense with the new SoC that I've heard about. Nothing I've heard about so far has conflicted with what Nate has shared, but does conflict with the idea of a X1+ refresh, unless that refresh will ultimately be a different SKU than the hardware I've heard about.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
More so than that, I'm pretty sure the first dev-kits for new consoles are always pre-silicon. Otherwise you give developers almost no time to get games ready for the system.

Edit: Actually, Switch was probably the one exception to this, as TX1 was already available to use in dev kits.
I'd expect early dev kits to go to trusted partners first. Imran's tweet suggested many people have it, and he had expected it (the new Switch ) to leak.
Though no devkit details have leaked yet (potentially with the exception of hints from insiders here) I'm wondering how we reconcile this, unless Nintendo's aiming for a big bang launch and already have enough parts to mass ship dev kits to multiple devs, despite final hardware being potentially a year away.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'd be stoked if the new hardware goes on sale before the end of next March, regardless of Zelda BotW2's exact release date--Be it day and date with Switch Pro, or anytime in Q1/Q2 2022.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Because some of the insiders said that the DevKits don't have the finalized specs yet, and how Brainchild mentioned how long the process usually takes after the specs of the hardware are finalized, I'm having a hard time seeing the "Pro" as a 2021 release.

The other model seems locked for Fall 2021, though.
That's just the thing though ANY new SoC has to be "The Pro" in essense.

As it would be a Ampere based SoC, therefore able to use DLSS.
That is the only reason for Devkits to exist.

So there is an Ampere SoC based system coming out this Fall based on everything we know so far, and Irman's statements incline that the Devkits are close to final as well...they are devkits and there are a good number to be surprised about a lack of leaks.

These Devkits are coming out sooner than the Devkits for the Xbox One X did relative to it's year of release, how do you reconcile that with "Oh the specs aren't finalized yet" to the degree that it would push it out into 2022 or even 2023.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
DF released a video where they speculate that the new model releasing this year is Aula.
Oh, ok. So, they apparently out of the loop. I see that it was part of a direct, so it looks like they don't have any news on it.

Edit: or are just unbiased on the different rumors for the time being.

Last edited: