• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I can't say I have very much faith in this article. Here's a line from it:

As I'm sure anyone in this thread knows, the Switch hasn't used the 20nm TX1 since 2019. If they don't even know what chip the Switch is actually using then I can't place a whole lot of trust in their claim that it's going out of production.

As an aside, I think a lot of this discussion of Switch chips going out of production is based on a misunderstanding between the original 20nm TX1 and the 16nm/12nm Mariko/TX1+. The original 20nm TX1 reached end-of-life in January, according to Nvidia, however they list Jetson Nano as being available until 2025. That means they can't possibly be terminating Mariko/TX1+ production this year, as they've committed to keeping Jetson Nano available for another 4 years, and they can't do that without TX1 chips (which don't exist any more) or Mariko chips. I think some people have seen the TX1 reaching end of life and, not realising the distinction between it and Mariko, are erroneously reporting that "Switch's SoC is ending production" when the actual SoC Switch currently uses is still very much in production. Not everyone keeps up on the minutia of die shrinks and revisions of console SoCs, so it's hardly that surprising.

That doesn't mean Nintendo is going to keep using Mariko for any particular length of time; they could drop it later this year and Nvidia would simply keep a trickle of production going for Jetson Nano, but they can also keep using it for as long as they want.

Yeah, if there's a new $299 model this year then they're obviously not going to replace it at the same price point six months later. My guess would be $399 for the more powerful model in that case, as a $50 difference seems very low given the performance gap. Also agreed that a new OLED Switch model could come sooner than we expect if it's still using Mariko. Judging by Bloomberg's timeline for the OLED panels, September's a distinct possibility.

Well, as I said above I'm not particularly convinced that Mariko production is ending, and we could be reading too much into the code names. It could be, for example, that models compatible with the original 1080p dock start with I, but models which are compatible with the new HDMI 2.1 dock start with A? It could be loads of things, but looking for patterns with a single digit number of examples and then being confused when new data doesn't fit that pattern isn't anything new. :)

That's not An article, it's a regurgitation that they decided to try and dress up.

This is the original article, (they did link to it as their source) and the only source I have seen so far on thos particular subject:

www.gamereactor.eu

Nvidia to stop Switch's SoC production this year, Gamereactor was told

No word has been mentioned on what comes next, however.

They get the mariko soc correct.

Both, the regular model and the smaller and cheaper Switch Lite feature the latest version of the Nvidia Tegra X1 Mariko. The source told Gamereactor that Nvidia plans to stop producing the processor in 2021, but did not elaborate further on what comes next or what may happen with the current versions of the hardware.

Any further veracity as to the nature of game reactor, their sources and their reliability... I have no knowledge on, perhaps someone else is more familiar with them.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
These Devkits are coming out sooner than the Devkits for the Xbox One X did, how do you reconcile that with "Oh the specs aren't finalized yet"

When people in the position to know tell me that the dev kits aren't final spec, I have no reason not to believe them. I'll let you all speculate as to why that's the case.

Last edited:

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
my question is
if you're updating the old hybrid with a new chip and a new screen... then why would you bother making another device "pro"?
especially if it uses the same (newer) chips as pro and the same screen as pro?

certainly they aren't making 2 different soc's
Switch home incoming? just kidding... kind of

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, a lot to take in today.

So it seems that these are the possible scenarios:

- The reports about the Tegra X1 being phased out this year are accurate, Aula is some internal prototype device never intended for release, and a Switch Pro with DLSS and new SoC are coming.

- Aula is indeed a new revision of the Switch with a OLED display and "4K" display adapter output. This is all Nintendo has planned, and is the model referenced in the Bloomberg articles. The reports about a phase out of Tegra X1 are wrong.

- Aula is indeed a new revision of the Switch with OLED and 4K display outlet, but a DLSS based Switch Pro with a new SoC is also coming. In this scenario, the report about the Tegra X1 being phased out is still inaccurate.

What we know:

- Nate has stated that he's aware of a Switch model that does 4K via DLSS (strongly suggests a new SoC)
- Nate has also stated he's aware of at least one exlusive game for such a device (again, suggests this is a radically different device)
- Imran Khan stating that dev kits have already been sent out, which wouldn't be necessary if the only unit coming is just another Tegra X1
- Matt explicitly stating that there is a device with a new chip.
- Aula, a Tegra X1 Switch revision with a 720p OLED, is real in some form, whether it's a future consumer device or some type of internal testing unit.

The only thing to suggest a revisions of the standard Switch is Aula, which may just end up being nothing. Meanwhile, we have three different highly reliable insiders each providing information that strongly suggests a new device is coming with a drastically different SoC. And that's on top of these reports about the Tegra X1 being phased out.

Other things to consider -

- The Switch is currently entering it's 5th year. At this point in the life of the PS4, the PS4 Pro existed. Same for the Xbox One X for the Xbox One. It certainly feels the time is now for a major revision.

- This recent statement from Furukawa - " "You must give new customers fresh surprises, and our existence can slip into obscurity at any time. I always have this kind of sense of crisis." That sounds like someone who wouldn't be content releasing just a subtle upgrade to the current Tegra X1 in the device's 5th year.

Nov 1, 2020
First off i'd like to say thank you for your work, I do believe you.

However, is it possible that this is actually the "Switch Pro Lite" chip (ie smaller node version) or Switch 2?
Because if it's not taped out now, not only is it not coming this year, it's probably not coming next year :(

Actually, continuing along the lines of a die shrunk version of the next SoC; hypothetically, if that was targeting a release in 2023, when would it probably be taped out by?
I'm entertaining the possibility of Nate's earlier timeline being for the 8 nm version and what brainchild is telling us re: not taped out yet being for the 7/6/5/4 nm version. But I also may be off my meds here.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Actually, continuing along the lines of a die shrunk version of the next SoC; hypothetically, if that was targeting a release in 2023, when would it probably be taped out by?
I'm entertaining the possibility of Nate's earlier timeline being for the 8 nm version and what brainchild is telling us re: not taped out yet being for the 7/6/5/4 nm version. But I also may be off my meds here.
If a 2nd version of the Pro (+Pro Lite) came out in the 2nd half of 2023, then it would likely get taped out in the first half of 2022.
In the same way that TX1+ most likely got Tapped in March 2018, appeared in the firmware as a prototype, and then released in products a year and a half later.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anything has changed as of today. We are still at the point where we just have to sit and wait for dev kit leaks for specs. We know a more powerful unit exists unless everyone we have heard from is getting fed incorrect info which is unlikely. By the end of April we should basically get a good idea of what it is. As far as release period, that isn't something that we would know until the end of H1. If by then everything isn't clear it isn't a 2021 product.

Not sure what all the freaking out is for.

Aula being a newer version of the standard Switch with a new screen and 4K upscaler isn't that crazy. The only thing ruling that out was TX1+ stopping production but if that isn't accurate then sure, game on. It aint the pro device.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

- The reports about the Tegra X1 being phased out this year are accurate, Aula is some internal prototype device never intended for release, and a Switch Pro with DLSS and new SoC are coming.

- Aula is indeed a new revision of the Switch with a OLED display and "4K" display adapter output. This is all Nintendo has planned, and is the model referenced in the Bloomberg articles. The reports about a phase out of Tegra X1 are wrong.

- Aula is indeed a new revision of the Switch with OLED and 4K display outlet, but a DLSS based Switch Pro with a new SoC is also coming. In this scenario, the report about the Tegra X1 being phased out is still inaccurate.

What we know:

- Nate has stated that he's aware of a Switch model that does 4K via DLSS (strongly suggests a new SoC)
- Nate has also stated he's aware of at least one exlusive game for such a device (again, suggests this is a radically different device)
- Imran Khan stating that dev kits have already been sent out, which wouldn't be necessary if the only unit coming is just another Tegra X1
- Aula, a Tegra X1 Switch revision with a 720p OLED, is real in some form, whether it's a future consumer device or some type of internal testing unit.

The only thing to suggest a revisions of the standard Switch is Aula, which may just end up being nothing. Meanwhile, we have three different highly reliable insiders each providing information that strongly suggests a new device is coming with a drastically different SoC. And that's on top of these reports about the Tegra X1 being phased out.

- The Switch is currently entering it's 5th year. At this point in the life of the PS4, the PS4 Pro existed. Same for the Xbox One X for the Xbox One. It certainly feels the time is now for a major revision.

- This recent statement from Furukawa - " "You must give new customers fresh surprises, and our existence can slip into obscurity at any time. I always have this kind of sense of crisis." That sounds like someone who wouldn't be content releasing just a subtle upgrade to the current Tegra X1 in the device's 5th year.

This is a great summary of the situation. The only thing I'd change is that the rumors are about the TX1+ being phased out, not the TX1. It's quite likely the TX1 is already done.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised the DF thread didn't take off. you'd think doomposting was popular here

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great summary of the situation. The only thing I'd change is that the rumors are about the TX1+ being phased out, not the TX1. It's quite likely the TX1 is already done.
We're back to the possibility of the switch pro not being true and just getting another revised TX1 switch? When did this happen. I thought this was completely out of the question by now

Last edited:

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
If the TX1+ is not made anymore then no revision using it will be released, as Nintendo will probably want to use what they have left for the Switch Lite. If they announce the revision with 3 months of anticipation (they wouldn't try to do it with 1 month, right?) we will know if it releases this year, officially, late August or early September, with insiders hinting at it a few months before it happens.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised the DF thread didn't take off. you'd think doomposting was popular here

I haven't ventured outside of this one in a while tbh.

Were back to the possibility of the switch pro not being true and just getting another revised TX1 switch? When did this happen

I mean that has always been a possibility. Though we're not talking about another revised TX1, it's the same TX1+/Mariko that's been in the Switch since 2019.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that has always been a possibility. Though we're not talking about another revised TX1, it's the same TX1+/Mariko that's been in the Switch since 2019.
Everyone said it's impossible to use DLSS in the TX1 and that's why everyone figured it has to be a new soc, I think even brainchild above said this a few days ago

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I fully admit I have not read this thread in detail. But I am genuinely confused by the speculation of power for a Nintendo console. It is crystal clear that Nintendo prioritizes the gaming experience and doesn't care about new contemporary hardware in the last three decades. They have made it crystal clear there strategy is the experience and modern hardware is not needed. Heck, it is part of their identity and they've said it publicly. It is their ethos- how you experience games- not powerful hardware. By the time the Switch revision is released, it will already be outdated by A LOT.

All the revised Switch is going to be is slightly powerful hardware capable of scaling the Switch graphics to 4K. That's it. That is what they have been doing in last hardware revisions in the last 30 years- modest improvements. Don't expect major hardware upgrades for a Nintendo console.

That is nothing bad. It is what they believe in and there strategy for affordable hardware for mass market appeal.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect early dev kits to go to trusted partners first. Imran's tweet suggested many people have it, and he had expected it (the new Switch ) to leak.
Though no devkit details have leaked yet (potentially with the exception of hints from insiders here) I'm wondering how we reconcile this, unless Nintendo's aiming for a big bang launch and already have enough parts to mass ship dev kits to multiple devs, despite final hardware being potentially a year away.

My expectation is that dev kits come in three stages; pre-silicon, early silicon, and final silicon.

The first pre-silicon dev kits would use existing hardware that's reasonably close in architecture and performance to what's expected from the final hardware. For a new Switch model, this might be a Xavier-based dev kit, with the CPU clocked down and maybe a few cores disabled, and potentially with a discrete Ampere GPU attached. I would expect Nintendo to communicate the actual specifications to developers alongside this, with non-final clocks, to give devs a performance target to aim for.

The early silicon (aka engineering samples) dev kits would be available post tape out, when the first silicon is available for testing. These dev kits would be effectively final, although with clock speeds which could change prior to launch, depending on binning of final silicon, etc.

The final silicon dev kits would only be available very near to launch, or potentially even after the launch of the console. This is what would be used for the rest of the console's life, and would obviously 100% match the actual hardware.

I would expect developers to currently have the first type; pre-silicon dev kits. It's important to note that starting development for a new console doesn't require final hardware. An early dev kit allows developers to get up to speed with any new APIs or software tools, and to work with the new architecture and get a feel for how to optimise around it, and the final hardware specs given alongside this would allow the developer to know what kind of performance to target. So long as the actual performance is in line with what was promised by the console maker, it should then be pretty straight-forward to get it running on final hardware. It's also not unusual for these dev kits to be available long before the hardware itself. The Wii U, for example, was announced almost a year and a half before release, and dev kits based on the Radeon HD 4850 existing even before that.

I should mention that I have no direct experience with any of this stuff, but having followed along with this stuff for quite a few years now, the three stages above tend to be the standard pattern of things.

That's not An article, it's a regurgitation that they decided to try and dress up.

This is the origina article, and the only source I ha e seen so far on thos particular subject:

www.gamereactor.eu

Nvidia to stop Switch's SoC production this year, Gamereactor was told

No word has been mentioned on what comes next, however.

They get the mariko soc correct.

Any further veracity as to the nature of game reactor, their sources and their reliability... I have no knowledge on, perhaps someone else is more familiar with them.

Thanks for the clarification. Although the main quotes from the article are from... this thread, so I'll still err on the side of caution with this one.

Nov 1, 2020
Just wanted to say that I can't discount this as a possibility. My only issue is that I haven't heard of any other SoC besides the one I've been talking about in development. It seems strange to me but not impossible; I don't have access to every single logistical detail for hardware manufactured for Nintendo.

Having said that, I'm personally expecting a tape out sooner rather than later solely based on the fact that I don't normally hear about super early designs for SoCs. I said 2022 at the latest precisely because of the timing of when I heard about the new SoC. I didn't mean to suggest that that's exactly when I expect it to get taped out.

Anyway, I typically don't involve myself in these discussions and seeing as it might have caused further confusion I probably shouldn't have decided to weigh in now, haha

Since it can't be conclusively ruled out, I'll roll with it then! /s

But seriously, don't worry about it. Thank you for the check in.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that I can't discount this as a possibility. My only issue is that I haven't heard of any other SoC besides the one I've been talking about in development. It seems strange to me but not impossible; I don't have access to every single logistical detail for hardware manufactured for Nintendo.

Having said that, I'm personally expecting a tape out sooner rather than later solely based on the fact that I don't normally hear about super early designs for SoCs. I said 2022 at the latest precisely because of the timing of when I heard about the new SoC. I didn't mean to suggest that that's exactly when I expect it to get taped out.

Anyway, I typically don't involve myself in these discussions and seeing as it might have caused further confusion I probably shouldn't have decided to weigh in now, haha
Thank you for sharing your infos. It definitely helps to the discussion having rumors from different persons instead of focusing just on one inside information or something.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully admit I have not read this thread in detail. But I am genuinely confused by the speculation of power for a Nintendo console. It is crystal clear that Nintendo prioritizes the gaming experience and doesn't care about new contemporary hardware in the last three decades. They have made it crystal clear there strategy is the experience and modern hardware is not needed. Heck, it is part of their identity and they've said it publicly. It is their ethos- how you experience games- not powerful hardware. By the time the Switch revision is released, it will already be outdated by A LOT.

All the revised Switch is going to be is slightly powerful hardware capable of scaling the Switch graphics to 4K. That's it. That is what they have been doing in last hardware revisions in the last 30 years- modest improvements. Don't expect major hardware upgrades for a Nintendo console.

That is nothing bad. It is what they believe in and there strategy for affordable hardware for mass market appeal.
and you need new hardware to do all that. there's nothing contradictory about what we're speculating

Then why are we even thinking about the possibility of TX1 again all the sudden? Lol
because DF, unintentionally or not, fed pessimists' confirmation bias.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Just skimming to catch up with today - it's a noisy day in this thread? Is there any actual new news, or is it just people speculating (insisting?) that Nintendo will do something expensive and convoluted instead of just putting together a new SoC out of IP blocks that NV already has for 8nm at Samsung just so that the next Switch is less capable than it would be if they did the simple thing instead?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just skimming to catch up with today - it's a noisy day in this thread? Is there any actual new news, or is it just people speculating (insisting?) that Nintendo will do something expensive and convoluted instead of just putting together a new SoC out of IP blocks that NV already has for 8nm at Samsung just so that the next Switch is less capable than it would be if they did the simple thing instead?
Digital Foundry speculated on Aula, people thinks the switch pro was never real again

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They said it wasn't going to have DLSS? Since when did they have inside info they never shared anything like that before
they didn't say anything about what the revision did and didn't have. they just speculated on Aula specifically. and they (or rather Eurogamer as a whole) does get this kind of insider info. we know they talk do devs directly

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone said it's impossible to use DLSS in the TX1 and that's why everyone figured it has to be a new soc, I think even brainchild above said this a few days ago

There might be two separate things happening. A soft revision with just a new screen and then an actual pro style revision with enhanced hardware and DLSS.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They said it wasn't going to have DLSS? Since when did they have inside info they never shared anything like that before

They don't have inside info. They just speculated on rumors and concluded that Switch Pro is not real. Only OLED Switch.

People take DF's word like a gospel, despite all they did was speculating. Same happened to The Outer Worlds port, DF reviewed it unfairly (compared to Xbox SX version instead of base console version) and everyone proceeded to shit on the game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have inside info. They just speculated on rumors and concluded that Switch Pro is not real. Only OLED Switch.

People take DF's word like a gospel, despite all they did was speculating. Same happened to The Outer Worlds port, DF reviewed it unfairly (compared to Xbox SX version instead of base console version) and everyone proceeded to shit on the game.
If the revision didn't release until the end of 2022 it would almost be a new gen switch at that point not a revision

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017

As long as you are not trying to intentionally mislead people, your information is very much welcome and will help us speculate better.

KlaxOnKlaxOff

Mar 3, 2021
Assuming that the SoC that would be included in a Switch Pro hasn't been taped out yet, what's the earliest that this device could hit the market? The speculation up to this point has been holiday 2021 or Q1 calendar 2022. Assuming that brainchild is correct (and he seems well-respected here), does this change when we should anticipate this device?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that the SoC that would be included in a Switch Pro hasn't been taped out yet, what's the earliest that this device could hit the market? The speculation up to this point has been holiday 2021 or Q1 calendar 2022. Assuming that brainchild is correct (and he seems well-respected here), does this change when we should anticipate this device?
fall/holiday

Amauri_SJr

Mar 2, 2021

What we know:

I just need it to be at least close to PS4 base power. Please!

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
When people in the position to know tell me that the dev kits aren't final spec, I have no reason not to believe them. I'll let you all speculate as to why that's the case.

Thank you for commenting on this topic. I don't see reason not to believe you.

It is actually interesting if that the hardware isn't finally yet. It is already apparently a significant upgrade to the current Switch. So, core count, RAM, DLSS focused hardware, etc may change even more before the chipset is finalized.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Just to be super crystal clear here, a tape out this month or next month is going to have a different rollout timeframe compared to a tape out for early 2022. If you all are going to speculate a time frame, it should take that into consideration.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be super crystal clear here, a tape out this month or next month is going to have a different rollout timeframe compared to a tape out for early 2022. If you all are going to speculate a time frame, it should take that into consideration.
Huh? Your saying there's 2 new SoC? One for tape out this month and tape out next year?

or you saying theres only 1 new SoC and it could still happen this year?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yea sure, I just don't ever remember DF sharing inside info on anything
In this case, no, they haven't yet (at least not directly).

For past hardware launches, though, they do frequently have detailed specs fairly early (including for the Switch back before it was released), and once those do leak for this system, they'll likely have them.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
If it was taped out this month; earliest would be summer 2022
If it was taped out in 2022; then that's a 2023 product.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Huh? Your saying there's 2 new SoC? One for tape out this month and tape out next year?

No, I'm saying that I don't know when it's going to be taped out so it could be any time from this month to early next year (again, that tail end of that range is my speculation on the latest it would take, not the earliest). I'm just saying you should factor in that range if you're gonna speculate a release timeframe.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In this case, no, they haven't yet (at least not directly).

For past hardware launches, though, they do frequently have detailed specs fairly early (including for the Switch back before it was released), and once those do leak for this system, they'll likely have them.
Apparently they know whether a new SoC is being manufactured right now or not

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Eurogamer def gets early info sometimes and they frame them as " what if scenario" videos. Not saying they do in this particular case though.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm saying that I don't know when it's going to be taped out so it could be any time from this month to early next year (again, that tail end of that range is my speculation on the latest it would take, not the earliest). I'm just saying you should factor in that range if you're gonna speculate a release timeframe.
Oh ok, wouldn't it make sense that it's going to very soon since Samsung is already making the 7 inch screens?