• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I can't assume it's for the same product. I'm just sharing what I've heard (and made clear what I've speculated about).
If your right then the switch your thinking of is most likely the next gen switch, and the revision is just a bigger screen switch and there is no pro style switch

thats just imo

I don't see them releasing a regular 7 inch switch in 2021

then a pro switch in 2022

then a next gen switch in 2023

it would be more like regular 7 inch switch 2021 then next gen switch in 2023, no pro. If the 7 inch switch this year isn't a pro then there is no pro

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the gist of what brainchild is trying to tell you (or prepare you for)
f8e02294739c303c76837ec39e782f9d.png

Old article but you get the idea.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
My expectation is that dev kits come in three stages; pre-silicon, early silicon, and final silicon.

The first pre-silicon dev kits would use existing hardware that's reasonably close in architecture and performance to what's expected from the final hardware. For a new Switch model, this might be a Xavier-based dev kit, with the CPU clocked down and maybe a few cores disabled, and potentially with a discrete Ampere GPU attached. I would expect Nintendo to communicate the actual specifications to developers alongside this, with non-final clocks, to give devs a performance target to aim for.

The early silicon (aka engineering samples) dev kits would be available post tape out, when the first silicon is available for testing. These dev kits would be effectively final, although with clock speeds which could change prior to launch, depending on binning of final silicon, etc.

The final silicon dev kits would only be available very near to launch, or potentially even after the launch of the console. This is what would be used for the rest of the console's life, and would obviously 100% match the actual hardware.

I would expect developers to currently have the first type; pre-silicon dev kits. It's important to note that starting development for a new console doesn't require final hardware. An early dev kit allows developers to get up to speed with any new APIs or software tools, and to work with the new architecture and get a feel for how to optimise around it, and the final hardware specs given alongside this would allow the developer to know what kind of performance to target. So long as the actual performance is in line with what was promised by the console maker, it should then be pretty straight-forward to get it running on final hardware. It's also not unusual for these dev kits to be available long before the hardware itself. The Wii U, for example, was announced almost a year and a half before release, and dev kits based on the Radeon HD 4850 existing even before that.

I should mention that I have no direct experience with any of this stuff, but having followed along with this stuff for quite a few years now, the three stages above tend to be the standard pattern of things.

Thanks for the clarification. Although the main quotes from the article are from... this thread, so I'll still err on the side of caution with this one.

So..... their 'sources' are..... era? Lmfao.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about Bloomberg saying the bigger screen switch supports 4k? That doesn't make sense now either

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, wouldn't it make sense that it's going to very soon since Samsung is already making the 7 inch screens?

No, because that could be referring to a different device (i.e. Aula). That's the wrinkle we have now.

What about Bloomberg saying the bigger screen switch supports 4k? That doesn't make sense now either

Aula supports 4k output.

Hell, there TX1 and TX1+ support 4k output but the current dock (and I believe USB port on the Switch) doesn't support it.

Jul 14, 2020
I fully admit I have not read this thread in detail. But I am genuinely confused by the speculation of power for a Nintendo console. It is crystal clear that Nintendo prioritizes the gaming experience and doesn't care about new contemporary hardware in the last three decades. They have made it crystal clear there strategy is the experience and modern hardware is not needed. Heck, it is part of their identity and they've said it publicly. It is their ethos- how you experience games- not powerful hardware. By the time the Switch revision is released, it will already be outdated by A LOT.

All the revised Switch is going to be is slightly powerful hardware capable of scaling the Switch graphics to 4K. That's it. That is what they have been doing in last hardware revisions in the last 30 years- modest improvements. Don't expect major hardware upgrades for a Nintendo console.

That is nothing bad. It is what they believe in and there strategy for affordable hardware for mass market appeal.

Except that you're wrong. Nintendo has prioritize new hardware with the Nintendo 64 as well as the GameCube as well as with the Switch.

You have added nothing to this thread other than "because Nintendo."

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm saying that I don't know when it's going to be taped out so it could be any time from this month to early next year (again, that tail end of that range is my speculation on the latest it would take, not the earliest). I'm just saying you should factor in that range if you're gonna speculate a release timeframe.
Thanks for all the info.

The Nintendo Switch TX1 version was taped out in July for a March release iirc, though the reason for the release date was more about software if Nintendo is to be believed. We know mass production started in October, so they validated the SoC in just a few months, but it was directly modified from an existing SoC and the actual modifications I can only speculate about.

If the the SoC is taped out in 1H this year, we could still see a holiday launch I think? But it will be released before April 2022, there is a slew of launch software piling up for the launch window of this upcoming holiday through the first half of next year.

The information about devkits being hacked up hardware is what I heard (really just a rumor) a month or so ago, so I knew final hardware was unlikely being used, this confirmation of that is nice to have. If it is taped out in the next few weeks, it could line up with the July article with 3 to 4 months of validation, so I guess I wouldn't rule that out, but I'm no expert on the subject, all I know is that there is really only one model being talked about by everyone, speculation is one thing, but from everyone who has info, it's really just one model known.

This thread has been everywhere today while I was asleep, crazy lol.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I fully admit I have not read this thread in detail. But I am genuinely confused by the speculation of power for a Nintendo console. It is crystal clear that Nintendo prioritizes the gaming experience and doesn't care about new contemporary hardware in the last three decades. They have made it crystal clear there strategy is the experience and modern hardware is not needed. Heck, it is part of their identity and they've said it publicly. It is their ethos- how you experience games- not powerful hardware. By the time the Switch revision is released, it will already be outdated by A LOT.

All the revised Switch is going to be is slightly powerful hardware capable of scaling the Switch graphics to 4K. That's it. That is what they have been doing in last hardware revisions in the last 30 years- modest improvements. Don't expect major hardware upgrades for a Nintendo console.

That is nothing bad. It is what they believe in and there strategy for affordable hardware for mass market appeal.
It's not like GameCube is less powerful than PS2

Dec 2, 2020
Here is the gist of what brainchild is trying to tell you (or prepare you for)
f8e02294739c303c76837ec39e782f9d.png

Old article but you get the idea.

Doesn't really tell us much new. It's either November this year or early '22 which is what most of us expect.

Nintendo will move heaven and earth to have at least a couple of million of them in shops for the Holidays. I also don't think there's a chance they're showing BotW 2 gameplay running on the current Switch so it will be tied to the new model imo whether Zelda is ready for November or next Feb / March. They will want to launch them together.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Let´s hope Bloomberg got it right lol.

And this thing can´t be announced soon enough, huh? The next few months are going to be pretty bumpy and more so, if what Nintendo announces doesn´t go inline with what Bloomberg reported.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't really tell us much new. It's either November this year or early '22 which is what most of us expect.

Nintendo will move heaven and earth to have at least a couple of million of them in shops for the Holidays. I also don't think there's a chance they're showing BotW 2 gameplay running on the current Switch so it will be tied to the new model imo whether Zelda is ready for November or next Feb / March. They will want to launch them together.
Read the last sentence of the article

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but it's obvious Bloomberg and insiders weren't referring to that type of 4K but actual 4k

Insiders yes, it's clear they are referring to 4k via DLSS. Bloomberg? Not so clear.

The "telling developers to prepare for 4k" bit from a few months ago definitely suggests more than simple 4k output and upscaling. But it's not super clear.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
No, because that could be referring to a different device (i.e. Aula). That's the wrinkle we have now.

Aula supports 4k output.

Hell, there TX1 and TX1+ support 4k output but the current dock (and I believe USB port on the Switch) doesn't support it.
I just don't know. 4k has been the one sticking point that just about every insider has said a source mentioned to them.

Here's Bloomberg's wording:
Nintendo decided to go with rigid OLED panels for the new model, the people said, a cheaper but less flexible alternative to the type commonly used for high-end smartphones. The latest model will also come with 4K ultra-high definition graphics when paired with TVs, they said.

That doesn't sound like upscaled output to me - or at least it'd be a weird point for an inside source to point out if that were the case. However, the article doesn't really give any indication of new internals either. If some wires crossed with people talking about two different devices, I guess it's possible. But that line feels like it would point to the same device Nate's heard about, and Bloomberg is rather clearly talking about a single device throughout their article.

If there is a different device happening first, it seems odd virtually no one's heard about it other than Bloomberg.
Edit:
all I know is that there is really only one model being talked about by everyone, speculation is one thing, but from everyone who has info, it's really just one model known.
This, really. Everyone's heard about the same device, and that device is not Aula. The only real smoke we have for a second device is Aula itself (the firmware) and the discrepancy between the chip not being taped out yet with Bloomberg's production window.

Last edited:

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I fully admit I have not read this thread in detail. But I am genuinely confused by the speculation of power for a Nintendo console. It is crystal clear that Nintendo prioritizes the gaming experience and doesn't care about new contemporary hardware in the last three decades.

Until the Wii, Nintendo's consoles were among the most powerful, if not THE most powerful consoles in their specific generations. So it's been a 15 year strategy, tops.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Insiders yes, it's clear they are referring to 4k via DLSS. Bloomberg? Not so clear.

The "telling developers to prepare for 4k" bit from a few months ago definitely suggests more than simple 4k output and upscaling. But it's not super clear.
Not exactly. The reason for telling them that is so they keep the art files to a certain quality level and don't shrink the files so low that they look bad being displayed at 4k.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
It's not like GameCube is less powerful than PS2

Except that you're wrong. Nintendo has prioritize new hardware with the Nintendo 64 as well as the GameCube as well as with the Switch.

You have added nothing to this thread other than "because Nintendo."

Seriously? The Gamecube is 20 years old and the Nintendo 64 is 25 years old, two decades. Nintendo has not focused on powerful hardware in two decades. And no not because Nintendo. Nintendo has has said they prioritize the gaming experience over hardware themselves.That is LITERALLY their philosophy and what they say in board meetings. Nintendo deemphasizes powerful hardware at their board meetings. People really have to temper their expectations for the Switch revision is all I'm saying. Expect a DS-like revision and 4K upscaling. You're not getting the bells and whistles of new hardware in a Nintendo console especially in a Switch revision. Maybe a brand new console if they change company philosophy.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let me add this all up and tell me if I'm right and if it makes sense

1: leaks for parts of a new switch are reported, it has a 7 inch screen

2: Bloomberg and other insiders say this specific switch with a 7 inch screen supports 4k when docked

3: we figure the only way that's possible is with DLSS which would require a new SoC, natedrake comes and says yes it has DLSS

4: digital foundry comes and says no new SoC has been taped out. so it's impossible for this 7 inch switch to have DLSS, so Bloomberg and all insiders along with them are wrong and only DF is right 🤔

Jul 14, 2020
Seriously? The Gamecube is 20 years old and the Nintendo 64 is 25 years old, two decades. Nintendo has not focused on powerful hardware in two decades. And no not because Nintendo. Nintendo has has said they prioritize the gaming experience over hardware. That is LITERALLY their philosophy and what they say in board meetings. People really have to temper their expectations for the Switch revision is all I'm saying. Expect a DS-like revision and 4K upscaling. You're not getting the bells and whistles of new hardware in a Nintendo console especially in a Switch revision. Maybe a brand new console if they change company philosophy.

And the Switch.

Our tempered expectations is for something that's 10% of the Xbox Series X plus DLSS when docked. What should it be instead, 9% plus DLSS? 5% and no DLSS?

You're saying expect a DS Lite with 4k scaling. I think that sounds like what we want.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know. 4k has been the one sticking point that just about every insider has said a source mentioned to them.

Here's Bloomberg's wording:

That doesn't sound like upscaled output to me - or at least it'd be a weird point for an inside source to point out if that were the case. However, the article doesn't really give any indication of new internals either. If some wires crossed with people talking about two different devices, I guess it's possible. But that line feels like it would point to the same device Nate's heard about, and Bloomberg is rather clearly talking about a single device throughout their article.

If there is a different device happening first, it seems odd virtually no one's heard about it other than Bloomberg.

Yeah it does sound like more than upscaling but it's not crystal clear. And it's very possible some wires got crossed if two things are coming.

Not exactly. The reason for telling them that is so they keep the art files to a certain quality level and down shrink the files so low that they look bad being displayed at 4k.

I'm not sure how that disputes what I said. My point is "prepare for 4k" isn't as cut and dry as some think.

Seriously? The Gamecube is 20 years old and the Nintendo 64 is 25 years old, two decades. Nintendo has not focused on powerful hardware in two decades. And no not because Nintendo. Nintendo has has said they prioritize the gaming experience over hardware. That is LITERALLY their philosophy and what they say in board meetings. People really have to temper their expectations for the Switch revision is all I'm saying. Expect a DS-like revision and 4K upscaling. You're not getting the bells and whistles of new hardware in a Nintendo console especially in a Switch revision. Maybe a brand new console if they change company philosophy.

They used virtually the most powerful technology possible for the Switch.

Dec 2, 2020

2: Bloomberg and other insiders say this specific switch with a 7 inch screen supports 4k when docked

3: we figure the only way that's possible is with DLSS which would require a new SoC, natedrake comes and says yes it has DLSS

4: digital foundry comes and says no new SoC has been taped out. so it's impossible for this 7 inch switch to have DLSS, so Bloomberg and all insiders along with them are wrong and only DF is right 🤔

DF's Rich and John are just speculating. Eurogamer are who leaks devkit specs and they don't come from any of the Digital Foundry guys.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You're mixing up multiple things here. Digital Foundry never said anything about a new SoC not being taped out, that comes from Brainchild who is a member here. DF only speculated that the device being discussed in the Bloomberg article was Aula.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yes
Not quite. Bloomberg has said both of those things. Other insiders have backed 4k but not necessarily for the 7 inch screen device.
Yes, but he's open to the idea that Bloomberg has heard of something else. See:
Because, as mentioned above, the Bloomberg model may not be the hardware to which I'm referring and which served as the focus of the DF discussion. We are talking two different things.

No, DF has said nothing regarding tape out. That was brainchild, who has previously backed a 4k device with a new SoC. DF only speculated on a new Switch release this year given the Bloomberg article, and that it might just be a refresh of the current hardware with a new screen and maybe some other niceties (or maybe not). This is a bit tricky because DF/Eurogamer definitely has inside sources but did not frame this speculation as insider-educated.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol there's no way they were talking about 4K upscaling, esp insiders like nate
we don't know that. non-technical outlets don't discern the difference between upscaled 4K and native. as long as the output buffer is 3840x2160, how the game gets there doesn't matter. that's why there's no lawsuit over games being 1800p when they were advertised as 4K

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, DF has said nothing regarding tape out. That was @brainchild, who has previously backed a 4k device with a new SoC. DF only speculated
Yea I was thinking brainchild was with DF for some reason that's why I was saying DF,

I didn't know Nate said that about Bloomberg thanks, but I'm pretty sure Nate suggested the 4k switch to release in March 2022 at the absolute latest and a good chance of sooner than that

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of this could mean there's still a chance of a stationary switch for 4k and not a hybrid 4k switch huh

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If your right then the switch your thinking of is most likely the next gen switch, and the revision is just a bigger screen switch and there is no pro style switch

thats just imo

I don't see them releasing a regular 7 inch switch in 2021

then a pro switch in 2022

then a next gen switch in 2023

it would be more like regular 7 inch switch 2021 then next gen switch in 2023, no pro. If the 7 inch switch this year isn't a pro then there is no pro
This is exactly my take. To complete the picture, there was indeed a Pro im some form since 2017-18 (according to various insiders, including Matt), so every time there is a revision people in the know think it will be the Pro. But for whatever reason, it never comes into fruition. There was also this rumor im 2019 I think, either from Bloomberg or Nikkei, that the next serious revision still had no leader or something like that, so that may further explain all the delays. So yes probably DLSS exists, just not necessarily in this year's version. I don't think Matt would have said n3ds if DLSS was in this revision, in fact since he may see the n3ds as a not very big improvement (many don't even though it is), but still a good enough one with the Oled, hence his "day 0"

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I was thinking brainchild was with DF for some reason that's why I was saying DF,

I didn't know Nate said that about Bloomberg thanks, but I'm pretty Nate suggested the 4k switch to release in March 2022 at the absolute latest and a good chance of sooner than that
Nate should have a podcast up tomorrow which will have his thoughts on the matter. But he's been speculating March-ish as likely with late 2021 as possible. I wouldn't describe what he's said as a "good chance of sooner", and I also don't think he described March as the "absolute latest" (in fact, I've noticed Nate generally likes to avoid absolutes for things beyond his control, such as hardware delays).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nate should have a podcast up tomorrow which will have his thoughts on the matter. But he's been speculating March-ish as likely with late 2021 as possible. I wouldn't describe what he's said as a "good chance of sooner", and I also don't think he described March as the "absolute latest" (in fact, I've noticed Nate generally likes to avoid absolutes for things beyond his control, such as hardware delays).
He said March is the latest he thought it would release I remember seeing it, it will be impossible to find now though

Dec 21, 2020
I think people are inferring more than necessary based on what they said and the whole discussion went upside down on its head.

They clearly framed the whole 8 minutes as "maybe it means this" and "possibly it means that"

They were speculating based on public information they didn't confirm or deconfirm anything. The Aula profile has been known very widely on gaming circles, they are active in gaming circles, like this one, and only inserting what they think the new screen means, not saying what it is.

Its like how some (here) say that DLSS is a next gen feature to advertise the next switch with comments like "because Nintendo"

DF didn't say that though, they are assuming it would be right for a next gen switch because it would mean devs would not need to update games to use the feature on the current switch. Not much more from that.

The whole subject was completely speculative and was opinion based, it did not inject any of the rumors, any of the things that have been rumbling about, none of that.

Heck the rest of the video was basically just like a podcast giving comments and opinions on the subject at hand and the public information only. For example, rich commented on how if you consider medium Navi to be a slightly less performant version of the the lower end big Navi you should expect the ray tracing performance to scale in line and mentioned that they have the limited ML support which he thinks is a huge disadvantage on the AMD cards.

IMO, the reach based on what they said, which is ultimately nothing concrete and only opinions and thoughts on this lovely podcast, seems ridiculous.

People should focus on concrete elements rather than mere speculation.

Dev kits are apparently out. That means big gains. They were sent earlier than they with the Xbox One X for a November launch.
Now, it only means it is different hardware, not necessarily if it is a huge or a modest boost =P

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are inferring more than necessary based on what they said and the whole discussion went upside down on its head.

They clearly framed the whole 8 minutes as "maybe it means this" and "possibly it means that"

They were speculating based on public information they didn't confirm or deconfirm anything. The Aula profile has been known very widely on gaming circles, they are active in gaming circles, like this one, and only inserting what they think the new screen means, not saying what it is.

Its like how some (here) say that DLSS is a next gen feature to advertise the next switch with comments like "because Nintendo"

DF didn't say that though, they are assuming it would be right for a next gen switch because it would mean devs would not need to update games to use the feature on the current switch. Not much more from that.

The whole subject was completely speculative and was opinion based, it did not inject any of the rumors, any of the things that have been rumbling about, none of that.

Heck the rest of the video was basically just like a podcast giving comments and opinions on the subject at hand and the public information only. For example, rich commented on how if you consider medium Navi to be a slightly less performant version of the the lower end big Navi you should expect the ray tracing performance to scale in line and mentioned that they have the limited ML support which he thinks is a huge disadvantage on the AMD cards.

IMO, the reach based on what they said, which is ultimately nothing concrete and only opinions and thoughts on this lovely podcast, seems ridiculous.

Now, it only means it is different hardware, not necessarily if it is a huge or a modest boost =P
Yea DF all speculation but brainchild says new SoC not even taped out which backs up DF speculation

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? The Gamecube is 20 years old and the Nintendo 64 is 25 years old, two decades. Nintendo has not focused on powerful hardware in two decades. And no not because Nintendo. Nintendo has has said they prioritize the gaming experience over hardware themselves.That is LITERALLY their philosophy and what they say in board meetings. Nintendo deemphasizes powerful hardware at their board meetings. People really have to temper their expectations for the Switch revision is all I'm saying. Expect a DS-like revision and 4K upscaling. You're not getting the bells and whistles of new hardware in a Nintendo console especially in a Switch revision. Maybe a brand new console if they change company philosophy.
I'm sure that Nintendo's company philosophy dosen't say anything about that they can't make powerful hardware. If they need this kind of hardware for their gaming experience, there is no reason why they won't do it. And to be fair it is not like that anyone is saying Nintendo is going to release the most powerful mobile hardware possible or a console on par with a PS5. People are just speculating what currently is possible based on a switch price point and the inside information we get.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing since the Switch segment wasn't its own thing and was grouped together with bunch of other stuff, DF is just discussing the known quantities (Aula leak). I think they'll have a dedicated video on it once more details come out (if the Pro model as we have been speculating indeed is in the works). This was just a teaser.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
They don't have any reliable sources, so it looks like they just took a safe bet.
As for Nintendo console, it's better to be pessimistic about it so you don't get discouraged.
Even if Nintendo releases an outdated toy, DF will say, "Oh, it's Nintendo.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I must have missed that Bloomberg article because I don't remember that quote, so I did a quick search -

"Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way".

www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo Boosts Switch Production by Another 20%

Nintendo Co. has asked its assembly partners to increase production of its Switch gaming console again, raising its goal to as much as 30 million units for this fiscal year, according to people familiar with its strategy.

So yeah, that definitely sounds like a Switch capable of doing 4K via DLSS. Honestly that one quote from Mochizuki may be the most compelling evidence we have that this is a completely new device.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
because DF, unintentionally or not, fed pessimists' confirmation bias.

I think it's fairly obvious that DF wasn't overly interested in speculation. They said what was safe and obvious about a slightly new Switch and moved on. It wasn't as if they said "we know for a fact that a Switch Pro isn't coming anytime soon, this will simply have an OLED and maybe have a display port."