• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Although the romantic side of me would love paper magazines to continue, there's no avoiding the death spiral of paper and the embrace of digital. Naturally, traditional publishers need to adapt, and it's sad to see that Future Publishing are struggling.

I subscribed to Edge digitally, and had to go through multiple faffage with sign-ups as although I'd signed up with Future Publishing, having gone through the process I was then referred to "My favourite magazines" where I had to create another account, link the two accounts and then.... wait.

Having subscribed online I could not immediately access content and had to wait several days for the first direct debit payment (their choice) to clear before I could see anything, and all hidden behind obtuse menus and screens that Douglas Adams would be proud of.

A couple of months later I decided to cancel - and although you can sign-up and manage your subscriptions online (limited to only adding additional magazines or transferring the subscription to another magazine), there is no facility online to cancel your subscription. Checking the terms reveals that you can't use an online form, you can't email customer services or phone them, but you have to put it in writing and post a letter. To an address that's not given on the same page as the instructions for cancelling. Again, short of putting it into a bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard', they really couldn't have made it harder to leave.

I wanted to test whether this really was true - having a cancellation method significantly more onerous than the sign-up one is immoral in my eyes, so I phoned "Magazines direct" (who have now consumed "my favourite magazines") and after taking endless amounts of personal details for ID+V, was then told there's nothing they can do for 4 days since they were going through an IT upgrade. I'm still not entirely clear why they wanted so many details if the IT system wasn't working.

I asked them to note my cancellation request so that when the IT systems were up again, they could process it and send me confirmation of the cancellation. Apparently this wasn't possible and I was told to cancel my Direct Debit and then for me phone back in 4 days, when they could try again. No doubt if I do, and if the IT systems (after 4 days!) is up again, I will be told I have to send a letter instead.

This kafkaesque nonsense has made me swear to never again subscribe to another Future Publishing magazine, digital or otherwise and I warn you to do the same.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had a digital sub to Edge for a moment and it was such an absolute pain to read and use that I've resigned myself to just going out to Barnes & Noble and picking it up when it's an issue I want and praying that they keep surviving

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to hear, that's not a great experience.

I was thinking of subscribing digitally to some magazines - I haven't seen a single copy of Edge on newsstands here (Ireland) since Covid began. For whatever reason it seemed to severely disrupt magazine distribution in general here.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea they are not good digitally. I buy issues month by month on their Edge iOS app, and even that can be a pain sometimes

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of proves that subscribing to magazines really is a vestige from the 90s, when you'd fill in the form in the back of the mag with your DD details and send it in by post.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've found the only way to cancel the subscription is to go into the online portal for my bank and manually cancel the direct debit payment myself.

On another note, it seems they are currently transitioning from "My Favourite Magazines" to a new website called "Magazines Direct", and when you click on "Manage my subscription" link it takes you to another site (mymagazine.co.uk). The only problem now is that it's been over a week of this random transition period and I've been unable to access my subscriptions to see when the next issue is due. I might just go into my bank and cancel the direct debits and be done with.

The website portion is clearly being maintained by dinosaurs, as denying access to active paying subscriptions for more than week is pretty unheard of these days. Transitioning account access should happen in the background and should not deny customers access for a long period of time.

Edit: Seems I can now log into the subscription panel after jumping through some hoops, but when I click on anything it just gives me this error:

Screenshot_2020-09-07_at_11.57.41.png

Their online portal just seems totally broken and doesn't do anything anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
I'm going to have to cancel my digital sub and stick with physical deliveries instead - similar log in problems once I switched from iOS to android, their android app simply doesn't allow me to log in and see my previous issues. It's as if I'm a new customer without a hundred back issues.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Edge seems to have been really mismanaged, I'm not sure they even have a website anymore. There used to be a forum which was a pretty good community but they shut that down. Its not too difficult to pick up a physical issue when I want to, but without a website the only way I find out about new issues and the contents is on here...

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I contemplated moving my digital + physical EDGE subscription to digital only but it was such a hassle that I just kept it. I don't mind doing it to support them, but the infrastructure is dreadful.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Their online portal just seems totally broken and doesn't do anything anymore.

Welcome to our world...

Non-UK subscribers of anything from Future have suffered from astonishingly bad service like 4+ week delivery time to mainland Europe countries for years now and e.g. Retro Gamer readers had a similar experience with the change to another online portal when the previous publisher got bought.

That latest stupidity is really just a culmination of everything - switching off the old customert portal without any notice at all, putting the only piecce of information on the new one behind a link that's not visiblie when an adblocker is running and of course having the new site not even working somewhat reliably is, well... normal for Future.

And while I feel bad for the editorial teams there who do fine work, I also wouldn't advise anyone to get a subscription anymore. And also ordering single issues is risky stuff, I have yet to receive a dispatch notice of the lastest issue of Edge I oreder before they shut of the old site - thankfully paid via PayPal, so I should be able to recover the money in the worst case scenario. as for digital, Readly comes to mind - again, not ideal to support the editorial side, but giving money to the rest of Future directly and kind of rewarding thir god-awful service just feels wrong.

Last edited: