• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't seen the best film of the year yet-today is the day it's available for purchase on iTunes/Amazon, etc. Looks like iTunes has it for 14.99 and when I look at the special features it is only the Trailer and a Q&A with director Bong Joon Ho.

This is one of my ten favorite movies of the decade - it's just beyond phenomenal and I have to really suggest you go into this movie completely blind. I'm not one to usually protest spoilers - but this is one particular movie where you just need to let the movie take you on a ride. You really think it's one type of movie and out of nowhere it becomes something else entirely.

Before anyone asks - it's not a horror movie. There's no "monsters" or "paranormal" subject matter. It's more of a dark comedy/thriller.

MV5BYWZjMjk3ZTItODQ2ZC00NTY5LWE0ZDYtZTI3MjcwN2Q5NTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you op, will watch tonight. This didn't play anywhere near me so I'm excited to finally watch this.

Oct 28, 2017
Such a good movie. Saw it on previous thread reccomendation. Best film I've watched this year. Would be a deserving winner of best picture at the Oscars imo.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Such a good movie. Saw it on previous thread reccomendation. Best film I've watched this year. Would be a deserving winner of best picture at the Oscars imo.

Absolutely-and I'm pleased that it wasn't just nominated solely in the Best International Film - it's up there among the other nominees for Best Picture. It absolutely deserves it.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Watch this movie! As I'm sure everyone else who has seen it will tell you lol. Master class movie with comedy, suspense, and a proper way to tackle some social commentary.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I pre-ordered it on iTunes, $14.99 is such a good deal for a new, acclaimed release. I can't wait to watch tonight.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to say that there is no need to be apprehensive about this being a foreign movie-about whether the culture might be different or not relatable, etc. This is a universal story that anyone can immediately become invested in.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was up for pre-order on the Canadian store too, but seems to have completely disappeared from the store. My pre-order didn't unlock, and now searching for the film turns up nothing. How odd haha

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
I caught a showing of this last week, and although I thought it was good, I'm not sure it lived up to the tremendous amount of hype that I'd seen (do they ever?). It was a very well shot, beautiful film and the acting was excellent, but something about it left me a bit cold.

I think I was expecting something with either the emotional core of Shoplifters or the much darker themes of The Handmaiden, so maybe that's on me. It felt a bit like it was trying to straddle the two, and it didn't totally work for me. I'm starting to think Bong Joon Ho just isn't for me...

Maybe this is the wrong thread to get into this, though. Go watch it! It's definitely worth your time :)

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the 28th personally

If I'm gonna buy a movie I'd rather have a physical bluray rather than only a digital copy

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my second most hyped film to watch after The Lighthouse. Can't wait!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If you haven't seen the best film of the year yet-today is the day it's available for purchase on iTunes/Amazon, etc. Looks like iTunes has it for 14.99 and when I look at the special features it is only the Trailer and a Q&A with director Bong Joon Ho.

This is one of my ten favorite movies of the decade - it's just beyond phenomenal and I have to really suggest you go into this movie completely blind. I'm not one to usually protest spoilers - but this is one particular movie where you just need to let the movie take you on a ride. You really think it's one type of movie and out of nowhere it becomes something else entirely.

Before anyone asks - it's not a horror movie. There's no "monsters" or "paranormal" subject matter. It's more of a dark comedy/thriller.

MV5BYWZjMjk3ZTItODQ2ZC00NTY5LWE0ZDYtZTI3MjcwN2Q5NTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg

Any idea when it is supposed to show up on Hulu?

Oct 27, 2017
Not just one of the best films of the year but also of the decade, easily. Could see it cracking my top ten of all time, even, but that's more of a personal ranking thing.

I believe it's a Movies Anywhere deal right?

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Renting is typically available once the physical disc releases.

That said, I'm a frequent iTunes pre-order/buyer, so you better believe I was happy to see my 12am notification for this one!

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was up for pre-order on the Canadian store too, but seems to have completely disappeared from the store. My pre-order didn't unlock, and now searching for the film turns up nothing. How odd haha
Yeah I just looked through the AppleTV+ app and the iTunes Store app on iOS and couldn't find it. Maybe it's a license or distribution issue?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to repeat my thoughts from after my initial viewing

Going into Parasite, I had tried to remain as blind as possible. I only knew the basic synopsis. I hadn't read reviews. I hadn't watched trailers. If I had one expectation, it was to expect another tonal roller-coaster from Bong Joon-ho. And Parasite did not disappoint.

What can I even say about this, without depriving others of the same experience?

That few modern directors are as adept at juggling tone as Bong Joon-ho, and Parasite is his most deft showcase yet?

That the movie transcends genre classification with each elegant twist and turn?

That much like Us, the story is equally effective as class divide allegory and pitch-black-comic thriller?

That it has the heart and thematic bite of Shoplifters, the clockwork joy of Ocean's Eleven, the escalating heart-in-throat tension of Panic Room, the off-kilter domestic unease of Moebius?

That every character and performance is a delight, every humorous moment lands, each act is a masterful construction of plotting and direction and razor-sharp script?

Maybe I'll just say that Parasite is a cinematic tour de force: exuberant and electrifying, hilarious and harrowing, playful and poignant.

Coolsambob

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Just need that beautiful EU steelbook to come out with English subs and I can finally see this film.

...though will probably buy digital in UK when available whilst I wait.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Is Canada getting a 4k version of the movie?

Sorry guys, it's a Neon(Universal) release those don't get UHD's usually. There is a French UHD but it doesn't come with subs for English from the looks. The VUDU 4k might be the only option for now in NA, and I don't even know if it ports in MA at 4k as it isn't listed in 4k on MA currently. (Bought it and seems to port into MA at 4k UHD w HDR)

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, it's a Neon(Universal) release those don't get UHD's usually. There is a French UHD but it doesn't come with subs for English from the looks. The VUDU 4k might be the only option for now in NA, and I don't even know if it ports in MA at 4k as it isn't listed in 4k on MA currently.

Blu?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my favorite movie ever.

can you rent it too or only buy?

Digital releases are available for 2 weeks prior to the physical purchase date. You can't rent the films until then-as the studios don't want to cut into their physical sales numbers. If you could rent before it's available to own....

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I caught a showing of this last week, and although I thought it was good, I'm not sure it lived up to the tremendous amount of hype that I'd seen (do they ever?).

It's definitely in my top 10, probably 5, of the year but yeah I'm not quite at the level of certainty some seem to be with the film. I still loved it, but I loved others just as much.

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
Just going to repeat my thoughts from after my initial viewing
Nice summary, very well said!

Interesting that you mentioned Shoplifters as well, since it was on my mind the whole time I was watching this. On paper, I think they sound similar, at least thematically, but I found Shoplifters so much more moving than Parasite. I had very little emotional investment in the characters of Parasite. There was tension and suspense, but I didn't really find myself caring too much what happened to anyone. Possibly that's the point, but I think it's an interesting comparison. Perhaps I just prefer films that are more tonally straightforward? I've been thinking a lot about why this didn't particularly resonate with me.