• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a 3080, I also picked up a Mono Price HDMI 2.1 Cable. 4k/120 works fine for gaming with out G-Sync, but if it is turned on the screen goes black. I am on the most recent firmware.

This is highly disappointing. This was the whole reason I bought this TV and was anticipating this card so much.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Well, these cards are the very first with HDMI 2.1, so there are bound to be some kinks to work out.

Maybe there's a compatibility issue between the G-Sync protocol and the HDMI 2.1 VRR?

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Freesync only works on nVidia via Display Port. The monitor has to officially support gsnyc to use hdmi.

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Maybe LG will need to do a firmware update now that actual cards are out.

Or they'll shrug their shoulders and say "get a CX"...

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Does the screen only go black when you enable gsync from within the nvidia control panel? have you tried enabling/disabling HDR? I've got the c9 (and highly eager for the 3090), so curious if it's a bug, or a true tv/system limitation.

kenshee

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, that's a part of why I was looking forward to upgrading from my 1070 actually, since that one just missed the boat on supporting the feature. Here's hoping this gets sorted through updates, it would be very sad if it was only officially supported on the C9 by the GTX 20-series...

OP
OP
Rbk_3

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the screen only go black when you enable gsync from within the nvidia control panel? have you tried enabling/disabling HDR? I've got the c9 (and highly eager for the 3090), so curious if it's a bug, or a true tv/system limitation.

No, it just goes black when I launch a game. Desktop is fine, then I can press the Windows key and the desktop comes back.
I am going to play around with making a custom resolution in CRU. I did have it OC'd to 66hz and it worked fine so it should hopefully work at like 100hz or something.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the C9 which is "Gsync Compatible" has issues it doesn't bode well for other HDMI 2.1 TVs to have VRR function out the box just because the 3000 series use HDMI 2.1. I know some people assumed that to be the case.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
No, it just goes black when I launch a game. Desktop is fine, then I can press the Windows key and the desktop comes back.
I am going to play around with making a custom resolution in CRU. I did have it OC'd to 66hz and it worked fine so it should hopefully work at like 100hz or something.

Gotcha. I would try to isolate it down to see if it's actually gsync, or something else. This would be filtering through different resolutions (i.e. 1440p/120hz), as well as HDR, and gsync itself. I do know that HDMI 2.1 cables are kind of a gray "not so certain" area, where from what I've gathered, require more expensive cables once you go past a certain length. I'd also tinker around with the cable if it's longer than 6ft. I hope this helps!

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I'm hoping to use a RTX 3 series with my C9 like you. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed relatively quickly by either Nvidia or LG or both.

Also as a reminder, Nvidia lists both the 9 series and X series OLEDs as VRR capable within a 40hz-120hz range at 4k unless I'm reading the chart wrong:

NVIDIA GeForce G-SYNC Gaming Monitors

Search for GeForce G-SYNC gaming monitors.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I bet it requires an EDID hack until LG/Nvidia get to the point of caring.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Do you have Gsync set to enable only in full screen mode, or both full screen and windowed? If the latter, and it only goes blank when you launch a game, it indicates a driver issue. If the former, it could be either.

dseed

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that C9 at 4K can only do 40-60 gsync and at 1440p 40-120

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Hey Rbk_3: I just checked the nVidia website for the C9 G-Sync compatibility and it says:

8. Select Display > Change resolution and apply one of these modes:

• 2560x1440 @ 120Hz for a 40-120Hz Variable Refresh Rate range
  • 3840x2160 @ 60Hz for a 40-60Hz Variable Refresh Rate range

So it's possible either the current G-Sync implementation or the TV's current firmware only allow for those two modes, for now.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The case here is G-sync with a 2.1 HDMI capable PC @ 4k120Hz
I think it depends from the PC configuration.
The NVIDIA 3080 is so brand new I don't actually know how it's working right now, bandwidth wise.

What I know is that both XSX and PS5 HDMI 2.1 bandwidth will be in the realm of 40Gbps max, and not 48Gbps.
This should never saturate (and create black screens or issues) both for C9 and CX models.

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, from this thread we knew only 60hz VRR was supported for C9 on HDMI 2.0, and 120 support on HDMI 2.1 was only theorized through a software update that may or may not come:

I think this may be useful after the kind of confusing/controversial DF 120fps video.

• For Variable Refresh Rate, CX Supports Freesync Premium, HDMI 2.1 VRR, and G-SYNC. C9 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR and G-SYNC.
  • CX Supports 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.0. C9 Supports 4K/60hz VRR with HDMI 2.0.
  • They expect both CX and C9 to support 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.1 on next-gen consoles.

www.resetera.com

LG CX OLED vs LG C9 (rtings.com)

I think this may be useful after the kind of confusing/controversial DF 120fps video. Identical aesthetics. Identical input ports. CX limits HDMI 2.1 bandwidth to 40Gb/s. C9 has full 48Gb/s on all four HDMI 2.1 ports. Not expected to make a noticeable difference. Marginally lower peak...

Hoping it gets patched in since I've got a C9, but not sure it will or not.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I mean, from this thread we knew only 60hz VRR was supported for C9 on HDMI 2.0, and 120 support on HDMI 2.1 was only theorized through a software update that may or may not come:

www.resetera.com

LG CX OLED vs LG C9 (rtings.com)

I think this may be useful after the kind of confusing/controversial DF 120fps video. Identical aesthetics. Identical input ports. CX limits HDMI 2.1 bandwidth to 40Gb/s. C9 has full 48Gb/s on all four HDMI 2.1 ports. Not expected to make a noticeable difference. Marginally lower peak...

Hoping it gets patched in since I've got a C9, but not sure it will or not.
That's talking with HDMI 2.0

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Hey Rbk_3: I just checked the nVidia website for the C9 G-Sync compatibility and it says:

So it's possible either the current G-Sync implementation or the TV's current firmware only allow for those two modes, for now.
Is this the page you were looking at? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-compatible-2019-lg-tv-available-now/

I'm hoping that since this was written a year ago when only HDMI 2.0 cards were available, they were just writing the instructions with the HDMI 2.0 spec limit in mind. Who knows though, we can only cross our fingers at this point until we get an official response.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
You won't have any bandwidth issue if you're going to pair it to an Xbox Series X or PS5.

Or even a PC. I remember reading an article recently where Nvidia changed things to allow output at 10bit when connected to an HDTV. The only real concern was supposedly addressed.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it is technically refreshing zero frames per second right now. Perhaps a little too variable, then. Hope it gets sorted out soon.