• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Getting 4k/120hz via HDMI 2.1 with VRR on my B9 was pretty much the main reason I was interested in getting a RTX 30 series GPU. So I'm really curious how this turns out.

I have these cables too, they are great, but these are HDMI 2.0b cables.

Yes, that is true, they work without problems on my RTX 2070 card, but I don't know if they would work fine on HDMI 2.1 sources yet.

Last edited:

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a 3080, I also picked up a Mono Price HDMI 2.1 Cable. 4k/120 works fine for gaming with out G-Sync, but if it is turned on the screen goes black. I am on the most recent firmware.

This is highly disappointing. This was the whole reason I bought this TV and was anticipating this card so much.
But I was told here Nvidia VRR is perfect so your TV must me "shitty", that was the conclusion. :(((((

Jokes aside, that's VERY VERY bad news.
I really hope Vincet gets a card to test real soon, the HDMI 2.1 VRR 4k/120hz support is the selling key for me too.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This needs to be patched asap, the C9/CX are literally the 3080's selling point.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
I hope this gets fixed soon. I have a CX, and I was lucky enough to get a 3080 too, hopefully it gets patched while my card is in the mail.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this will be resolved with an LG firmware upgrade or nv driver update.

I decided to wait on a purchase until the C11 series or TCL QD-OLED. More 2.1 devices will be out there and the bugs will be ironed out.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I was lucky enough to get a 3080, I also picked up a Mono Price HDMI 2.1 Cable. 4k/120 works fine for gaming with out G-Sync, but if it is turned on the screen goes black. I am on the most recent firmware.

This is highly disappointing. This was the whole reason I bought this TV and was anticipating this card so much.
Have you tried lowering the chroma?
Just for testing purpose, please try 4:2:0 chroma.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a key selling point for both the TV and the GPU, I really hope there's an update that fixes this..

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
We should really put some pressure on nvidia and LG so that the RTX 30/LG oled g-sync issues are fixed. Where do you report nvidia and LG driver/firmware issues? Also everybody should contact John Archer at Forbes. I tweeted this to him earlier today. He is usually really good at highlighting gaming issues with LG oleds. I know that EvilBoris know of the issue and maybe he can get HDtvtest to report about them

Last edited:

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I had a feeling there would be some kind of problem when someone finally could test this. I got a C9, so hope they can fix it.

But I don't recall LG ever claiming that the C9 could do 4K 120hz VRR. Just 4K 120hz.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this soon.
This is why I've been cautioning people to not buy any displays which promise updates for HDMI 2.1 support later, until the update is actually released along with hardware which can support it. I expect many displays are going to have issues with their VRR implementations.

As far as I can tell G-Sync is a different implementation of VRR than what's part of the HDMI 2.1 spec.
Actual G-Sync requires displays that have a G-Sync module in them, and connects to the GPU via DisplayPort.
G-Sync Compatible displays can be using one of two different technologies: VESA Adaptive-Sync via DisplayPort, or HDMI-VRR via HDMI.

There is no such thing as "G-Sync-over-HDMI". It's using HDMI-VRR - so any display with HDMI-VRR should work, whether it has "G-Sync Compatible" certification or not.
There is however "FreeSync-over-HDMI" which AMD uses. "FreeSync-over-HDMI" and HDMI-VRR are two different things. A display which only supports "FreeSync" may not work with HDMI-VRR devices.

This TV does not have real Gsync though. It's just Nvida's "Gsync compatible" branding which is just made to be confusing.
I'd argue that "G-Sync Compatible" was meant to simplify things; but doing so has made it confusing for people.

Have you tried lowering the chroma?
Just for testing purpose, please try 4:2:0 chroma.
The C9 does not support 4K120 via 4:2:0 subsampling - that was one of the new features of the CX.

Just tried it myself, doesn't work :/
Barely got 4K 100Hz Gysync working but seems to be too temperamental with random columns of the screen going black every now and then.
Not sure if I need a better quality cable or wait for driver/firmware updates.
Sounds like your cable is the problem.
Pushing the limits of bandwidth like this requires a high quality cable. I had a lot of issues with my older 3440x1440 100Hz G-Sync monitor with any cable longer than 1m back when that was pushing the limits of the DisplayPort 1.2a spec (I think it may have technically been slightly above it).
It was not until DisplayPort 1.4 cables were available that I could find anything which worked reliably without randomly going black for a moment a few times every hour.
I'm not saying that you'll need to wait for something better than HDMI 2.1 to come along for it to work; just that a cheap cable which claims HDMI 2.1 support probably doesn't actually support it very well.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else run the sound from the LG C9 via earc to a receiver? When I enable 10bit Colors or HDR in a Game, I get sound hiccups. With default Colorsettings or no HDR enabled, sound ia fine.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Are longer cables less reliable? My PC is on the other side of the room so there is no way for me to hook it up to a tv unless I get a several meters long cable (4-5)

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this would be my worst nightmare after dropping a lot of money on a CX and 3080. I await the eventual good news!

Hopefully don't have the same issues with VRR and consoles.

ps3ud0 8)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Are longer cables less reliable? My PC is on the other side of the room so there is no way for me to hook it up to a tv unless I get a several meters long cable (4-5)
High bandwidth signals are significantly more challenging to build long cables for.
If you aren't stressing a cable; say passing 8-bit 1080p24 from a Blu-ray player, any cheap cable will do - that's only 2.23 Gbps. Less if you're using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.
But if you're trying to send 10-bit 4K120 HDR you need something which is either low gauge wire (thick) or uses fiber - because it's 40 Gbps.

5m is not a huge distance to cover, but a cheap cable may not do it.
You may get a picture but the sound / picture cuts out often.

I see a lot of "8K HDMI 2.1" cables being sold on Amazon now, but I doubt any of them are actually certified for that bandwidth.
They may work - or they may give you problems.
A fiber cable which is rated for 8K / HDMI 2.1 should actually work, but those seem expensive right now - and while an older high-quality copper cable may work for HDMI 2.1, I'm not sure that an existing fiber cable would since there's a conversion being done.

So to be clear, this is only gsync. Free-sync\HDMI VRR is fine?
"G-Sync Compatible" is using HDMI-VRR.
There's no such thing as G-Sync over HDMI.

I don't believe the B9/C9 series OLEDs support FreeSync over HDMI at all, and NVIDIA GPUs certainly don't.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
High bandwidth signals are significantly more challenging to build long cables for.
If you aren't stressing a cable; say passing 8-bit 1080p24 from a Blu-ray player, any cheap cable will do - that's only 2.23 Gbps. Less if you're using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.
But if you're trying to send 10-bit 4K120 HDR you need something which is either low gauge wire (thick) or uses fiber - because it's 40 Gbps.

5m is not a huge distance to cover, but a cheap cable may not do it.
You may get a picture but the sound / picture cuts out often.

I see a lot of "8K HDMI 2.1" cables being sold on Amazon now, but I doubt any of them are actually certified for that bandwidth.
They may work - or they may give you problems.
A fiber cable which is rated for 8K / HDMI 2.1 should actually work, but those seem expensive right now - and while an older high-quality copper cable may work for HDMI 2.1, I'm not sure that an existing fiber cable would since there's a conversion being done.

"G-Sync Compatible" is using HDMI-VRR.
There's no such thing as G-Sync over HDMI.

I don't believe the B9/C9 series OLEDs support FreeSync over HDMI at all, and NVIDIA GPUs certainly don't.

Ah, ok. Thanks

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Does it still work with the RTX 2080 ?
Or is this new driver also having problems with this?
Or is that a RTX 3000 series driver issue?
If it's a general issue I will skip the driver update.
Got a RTX 2080 Super.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's most likely a bug, remains to be seen on whose side though - it's a bit unlikely that it would be a driver issue as it's too universal for NV to not pick up on it during driver testing.
There's like LG OLEDs with HDMI 2.1 only anyway - what would you use to test your new GPU with an HDMI 2.1 output if not them?
Hopefully this will be patched by LG and/or NV.

So to be clear, this is only gsync. Free-sync\HDMI VRR is fine?
There are three hardware implementations of adaptive sync which NV supports presently:
1. Gsync native over DP <- this is what the old Gsync is, it works with displays which have Gsync h/w module (called Gsync / Gsync Ultimate these days, works via DP only)
2. VESA Adaptive Sync over DP <- this is what is known as Freesync on DP in AMD world (called Gsync Compatible these days, works via DP only)
3. HDMI VRR over HDMI <- this is the adpative sync tech which was added to HDMI 2.1 and can be used over HDMI 2.0 too (called Gsync Compatible too, works via HDMI only)

All of them are called "Gsync" in the s/w layer which NV is running on top of these h/w platforms.
There is no "Freesync" support on NV h/w, it's VESA Adaptive Sync with Gsync.
HDMI VRR is "Gsync" on NV h/w, via HDMI VRR with Gsync.
Basically, there is only HDMI VRR support if you're looking at HDMI connection on NV h/w.
On DP there can be either native Gsync through Gsync h/w or Gsync via VESA Adaptive Sync spec.

Does it still work with the RTX 2080 ?
Sure, at up to 4K/60 or 1440p/120.
2080 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 output.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Well, it would only go 1440p on a 2080

It's most likely a bug, remains to be seen on whose side though - it's a bit unlikely that it would be a driver issue as it's too universal for NV to not pick up on it during driver testing.
There's like LG OLEDs with HDMI 2.1 only anyway - what would you use to test your new GPU with an HDMI 2.1 output if not them?
Hopefully this will be patched by LG and/or NV.

There are three hardware implementations of adaptive sync which NV supports presently:
1. Gsync native over DP <- this is what the old Gsync is, it works with displays which have Gsync h/w module (called Gsync / Gsync Ultimate these days, works via DP only)
2. VESA Adaptive Sync over DP <- this is what is known as Freesync on DP in AMD world (called Gsync Compatible these days, works via DP only)
3. HDMI VRR over HDMI <- this is the adpative sync tech which was added to HDMI 2.1 and can be used over HDMI 2.0 too (called Gsync Compatible too, works via HDMI only)

All of them are called "Gsync" in the s/w layer which NV is running on top of these h/w platforms.
There is no "Freesync" support on NV h/w, it's VESA Adaptive Sync with Gsync.
HDMI VRR is "Gsync" on NV h/w, via HDMI VRR with Gsync.
Basically, there is only HDMI VRR support if you're looking at HDMI connection on NV h/w.
On DP there can be either native Gsync through Gsync h/w or Gsync via VESA Adaptive Sync spec.

Sure, at up to 4K/60 or 1440p/120.
2080 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 output.
Alright, thanks for clarifying.
I am using 1440p/120 hz with GSync on my C9, so I can safely update the driver then.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Can't see anything referring to 4k/120/Gsync at that link? Can you quote what you're referring to?

"guamgfung
9h

Hi, I have a problem with the black screen after update to 456.38. I have tried multiple times to reinstall the driver but it has had the same problem when I play PUBG and Cod Modern Warfare. However, there was no black screen when I play Fortnite. Only the solution was turn off the G-sync on my monitor and there was no black screen anymore. I also tried to downgrade the driver to 452.06 and the problem has solved. As the result, I think the problem may be caused by a new driver and my monitor g-sync compatibility."

"AkiraDX
7h
Close

I'm having many issues with this driver. - Boot up to Windows with Black Screen. Need to power off then on again to be able to boot up to Windows and have display on. - World of Tanks total black screen with G-Sync on. Need to turn off G-Sync in order to play.

Spec.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
MB: MSI MEG X570 ACE.
GPU: Zotac Gaming RTX 3080 Trinity 10GB
Deplay: LG C9 55" OLED TV with InstantGame on. "

It seems as though the G-sync issues are not just limited to HDMI 2.1 but G-sync compatibility issue, here is hoping anyway.