Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

Optimal settings:

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:

• Set up G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC for full screen mode.
  • Manage 3D settings > Vertical sync > On.
In-game Settings:

• Use "Fullscreen" or "Exclusive Fullscreen" mode (some games do not offer this option, or label borderless windowed as fullscreen).
  • Disable all available "Vertical Sync," "V-SYNC" and "Triple Buffering" options.
  • If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is available, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display's maximum refresh rate (57 FPS @60Hz, 97 FPS @100Hz, 117 FPS @120Hz, 141 FPS @144Hz, etc).
RTSS Settings:

• If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is not available and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display's maximum refresh rate (see G-SYNC 101: External FPS Limiters HOWTO).

Edited for all the important stuff.

Last edited:

KneehighPark

Verified
Nov 13, 2017
Florida
Yep. Definitely have Gsync on in the control panel. Don't enable Vsync in game or in the control panel.

As for framerate, I tend to cap at 142 for my 144hz monitor. For 165, I'd do 162.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Ive had a gsync monitor for about a month and a half, I haven't done anything you just listed (other than vsync off) but it's fantastic. Ass Creed origins likes to live around 53 fps and the monitor keeps it looking pristine.

I'm gonna sub to this thread though to pick up some tips.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want Vsync on in the control panel. It was changed about a year or so ago.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Definitely have Gsync on in the control panel. Don't enable Vsync in game or in the control panel.

As for framerate, I tend to cap at 142 for my 144hz monitor. For 165, I'd do 162.

hrm? I specifically remember being told to turn on vsync in nvidia control panel, just not in game with my gsync

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's super basic to use and I haven't run into many/any issues.

There is a section in the control panel specifically for G-Sync. Have it enabled.
I have per-program settings simply stating "let the application decided" for Vsync.
And in programs Vsync is always off.

Gsync should kick in automatically, as your framerate is fluctuating and not capped to a refresh rate, and your refresh rate is fluctuating alongside the framerate. Like...once gsync is on for the Nvidia control panel the only thing I make sure in game is that vsync is off. That and if there's a Hz option to make sure it's the highest for the monitor (eg: 144Hz). But most games do not have that option and just automatically scale with the framerate.

Framerate capping is the only other thing to consider, and that only matters for games that are going over your refresh rate. So for example if you're playing on a 144Hz monitor with Gsync and your game starts hitting 150fps or something Gsync has a tendency to temporarily turn off, resulting in tearing until the framerate drops back within the monitor threshold. Where possible I usually use in-game engine capping options for framerate, but use whatever works best for you.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never heard of this, you have a link? I use Fast Sync through the control panel. It's frustrating that you have to go through a lot of research just to figure out what your settings should be.

Not offhand, but now it just engages vsync at post max refresh (so 166 fps for the OP). Basically it's a choice between vsync behavior in the games you can max out or preferring tearing (which will have less input lag, so probably better for competitive gamers). However I'm not a competitive player and most games don't run at near my max refresh so I keep it on globally for games that have weird issues (like some weird ports that don't have or have hidden vsync toggles, or that have issues with gsync anyway).

This is what Blurbusters ended up saying as their optimal settings:

In-game Settings:

• Use "Fullscreen" or "Exclusive Fullscreen" mode (some games do not offer this option, or label borderless windowed as fullscreen).
  • Disable all available "Vertical Sync," "V-SYNC" and "Triple Buffering" options.
  • If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is available, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display's maximum refresh rate (57 FPS @60Hz, 97 FPS @100Hz, 117 FPS @120Hz, 141 FPS @144Hz, etc).
RTSS Settings:

• If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is not available and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display's maximum refresh rate (see G-SYNC 101: External FPS Limiters HOWTO).

OP
OP
Vipu

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

In-game Settings:

RTSS Settings:

This seems about right, thx
Just what I wanted.

Still waiting reply from Avatar avatar guy :D He knows his g-syncs!

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will add since it's not mentioned often is if you have a way to toggle your refresh (mine has a button that toggles between 60, 120, 144, but not all gysnc monitors do,) you may to switch to 60, 120, etc if you're ever playing 30 FPS locked games, as 30 fps has no gsync benefit and can feel odd at refresh rates that 30 does not multiply evenly into. So I pretty much always just run my monitor at 120hz (though some games like to ignore this and either cap at 60, like some 60 locked games, or run at 144). 120 for me is a good balance of HRF + works with some of the games on the platform's oddities. Not really as much as concern these days as there's not nearly as many 30 locked games coming out anymore, but it ends up being the setting of least hassle + most benefits for me.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Why would you want to enable V-sync in the control panel? Isn't the whole point of G-sync that you don't have to use V-sync any more?

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For most games which is better with Gsync...

Fast sync or Vsync?

I noticed Fast sync feels more snappy but there are some slight tearing in some games.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Why would you want to enable V-sync in the control panel? Isn't the whole point of G-sync that you don't have to use V-sync any more?
Because it serves a separate function when G-Sync is on; as a framerate capper when your framerate goes over the maximum refresh rate. When it's below the max refresh, V-Sync is still off.

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I'm confused. So if you enable V-sync in control panel, then no need to do this?

Ok, poor wording on my part - you'd still want to run RTSS if you want minimum input latency. Having V-Sync on in NVCP acts like a cap, but that's because it basically enables Vsync when refresh goes over max. An RTSS cap 2-3 frames below max means you get the tear-free picture of G-Sync without the input lag and stutter of having V-Sync on.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Ok, poor wording on my part - you'd still want to run RTSS if you want minimum input latency. Having V-Sync on in NVCP acts like a cap, but that's because it basically enables Vsync when refresh goes over max. An RTSS cap 2-3 frames below max means you get the tear-free picture of G-Sync without the input lag and stutter of having V-Sync on.
I've always had a global 140fps cap in RTSS so I won't need to do that I guess.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems complicated, why do you need to set cap exactly 3 fps lower?

It's not the end of the world if you don't it just stops you monitor turning off Gsync when it hits the monitor max refresh rate and above. This can cause some minor input lag/hitching/tearing if it continual swaps between Gync on and off.

It isn't something you'll notice much playing most games but for the hardcore Overwatch/CS gameplay it might be something to consider.

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017

Ok, thanks. Love my g-sync monitor, but forcing FPS limit is new to me. Haven't actually noticed this option in any game so far. That said, the FPS often exceed my monitors 100 hz, so this would actually make sense for me.
Can Rivatuner or another app limit FPS globally, or is this a per game thing?

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video should be in the OP because it's very informative and answers a lot of questions you gamers have in the comments above:

Btw, ignore the AMD Freesync comparison, AMD Freesync is a crappy low quality alternative that does NOT hold a candle to the vastly superior NVIDIA hardware based implementation that is literally miles ahead. With AMD freesync you get what you pay for, and you pay NOTHING for it so expect that as well.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The article linked early in the thread goes into this:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

The TLDR is this: It used to be 2, as a way of stopping Gsync from either switching into tearing or Vsync modes, the 2 was a typically good enough buffer that avoided those behaviors and thus overall produced the more reliable reduced input lag. They now recommend -3 as an extra buffer due to the variety of methods (in game, RTSS, Nvidia inspector) not all being equal.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Let me clarify

The OP instructions are correct.

Turn Vsync On in the control panel, but off in-game (some games like Sonic Transformed needs it on because of stupid reasons). This will stop your computer from going over your monitor's refresh and you won't get screen tearing.

You can use Gsync with Vsync off, allowing you to go past your monitor's refresh (you want this for say, counter strike at the highest fps possible), but obviously Gsync in that case isn't going to work because you won't go below your monitor's refresh.

You need to set your fps to 3fps below via in-game or RTSS because fps limiters in general aren't perfect, you will go past your desired fps limit regularly so you will get tearing.

You don't want Vsync to engage, as in, stop your fps from going above your refresh, because that causes insane input lag. This is why you use Vsync in the first place.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Another pro tip, if you have gsync, you can limit your framerate to anything. Including your minimum FPS for a specific game. Want to game in a tearfree 48fps on the highest settings? Do it.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If people are having trouble with G-sync and Unity engine games, you can try using this launch command to force exclusive fullscreen in games that don't officially offer it.

Code:
-window-mode exclusive

Should work for all recent Unity engine games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
In-game Settings:
There is an option for Windowed+Fullscreen Mode G-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
According to BlurBusters' tests, Windowed G-Sync avoids the additional frame of latency that Windowed Mode typically has.
As a result, I've been using Borderless Mode wherever possible now, after avoiding it at all costs when I did not have a G-Sync monitor.

Be aware that not all Borderless/Windowed Mode games will work with G-Sync however. There are some which still require that you use Fullscreen Exclusive Mode.
It's easy to check this if your monitor has an "FPS Counter" feature, as it will not change if G-Sync is inactive.

Windows 10 CU (1703) added "Fullscreen Optimizations" too, which enables select Fullscreen Borderless games to behave like Fullscreen Exclusive games, and the FCU (1709) seems to have extended that to many more titles.
I've seen people suggest that all DX9 games may use this by default now, but have not confirmed it myself.
Point is: if you have a G-Sync display, you only need to use FSE Mode if Windowed Mode G-Sync is not working for that game.

A word of caution though: Some applications do not work well with Windowed Mode G-Sync.
When they are idle, they will drop the refresh rate down to single-digits, and the refresh rate will constantly change as you move the mouse.
There are two ways to avoid this:
  1. Set G-Sync to Fullscreen only, and run all your games in Fullscreen Exclusive Mode
  2. Create a profile to disallow G-Sync for these applications.
To do this:
  1. Download NVIDIA Profile Inspector.
  2. Create a new profile. I called it "_DISALLOW_GSYNC" so that it appears at the top of the list.
  3. Set "GSYNC - Application State" to "Disallow". Don't change anything else on the profile.
  4. Add any affected applications to this profile. You then need to restart the application for it to take effect.
It should look like this:
disallow_gsyncdeker.png

While it's true that a good in-game FPS limiter may be preferable to RTSS, the difference in latency is going to be minimal (typically half a frame or so) and it's far simpler to set a global FPS limit in RTSS than tweaking this per-game.
You can then add per-game overrides if you need to bypass it for any reason.
For most games which is better with Gsync...
Fast sync or Vsync?
I noticed Fast sync feels more snappy but there are some slight tearing in some games.
Fast Sync can add latency when combined with G-Sync, and introduce stuttering.
G-Sync requires that V-Sync is enabled to work correctly.
People generally recommend that you enable it in the NVIDIA Control Panel on the global profile. With it enabled on the global profile, you then have the option to disable V-Sync in-game without disabling proper G-Sync operation.
You don't always want to disable V-Sync in every game. Some games will have stuttering or frame-pacing issues if you disable their own V-Sync implementation. You may even need to edit their profile in Inspector and set it to "Application Controlled".

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want my next monitor to be a G-sync. Right now I can hit 1440p 60fps just fine but I'll be upgrading to a 4K 60hz monitor. I'm also probably gonna wait for the next round of Nvidia cards and get either a x70/80 card which I think should be about similar performance of a 1080 Ti or better. I think I'll get good use out of a G sync because I don't know if these cards will manage a solid 60fps in all games so it'd be nice to have G sync to make any frame drops a bit smoother.

How low can the frame rate go before G sync stops having an effect? I mean...if it were to drop to 55fps then I imagine it looks fine but what if the framerate drops to something like 35-45?

My current card is a 1070 so not quite ready for 4K yet but I would prefer to get a 4K monitor as soon as possible so that it's out the way and I'm not having upgrade my GPU + monitor at the same time.

OP
OP
Vipu

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want my next monitor to be a G-sync. Right now I can hit 1440p 60fps just fine but I'll be upgrading to a 4K 60hz monitor. I'm also probably gonna wait for the next round of Nvidia cards and get either a x70/80 card which I think should be about similar performance of a 1080 Ti or better. I think I'll get good use out of a G sync because I don't know if these cards will manage a solid 60fps in all games so it'd be nice to have G sync to make any frame drops a bit smoother.

How low can the frame rate go before G sync stops having an effect? I mean...if it were to drop to 55fps then I imagine it looks fine but what if the framerate drops to something like 35-45?

My current card is a 1070 so not quite ready for 4K yet but I would prefer to get a 4K monitor as soon as possible so that it's out the way and I'm not having upgrade my GPU + monitor at the same time.

It have effect all the way down to 1fps or 30fps I think?
If you mean does it feel "smooth" then no, thats not what g-sync does, it just removes tearing and stutter.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Vsync still works with Gsync, with vsync being off gsync can tear a frame if the next one is made available by the API/driver before the current one is drawn. Due to how Gsync function this doesn't happen often but it can happen and according to the article linked in the OP (with which I'm not 100% agree with btw) it's actually better to have vsync enabled alongside Gsync since this lowers the input lag even further.

You don't. 3 fps is the "safe" distance which will work with all possible framerate limiters. With precise framerate limiters though you can use caps as high as -1 Hz from refresh or even less than that. Precise limiters are most in-game limiters (preferred option as they generally produce the least amount of input lag), RTSS (next one in the list of preferred options) and driver's V2 limiter. Imprecise limiter is mostly driver's V1 limiter which produce less input lag than V2 limiter but tend to limit the framerate somewhere above the actual limit number selected by the user.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

60Hz G-Sync monitors can be problematic for a number of reasons, and I wouldn't recommend them if you have other options.
It's better than not having G-Sync, but G-Sync works best when it's not pressing up against the refresh rate limit.
Some people have reported that if a game is mostly going to be running at 60 FPS, they get a better experience by disabling G-Sync and using standard V-Sync on these displays. You can cap the framerate lower, but now you're dealing with <60 FPS, and some games with 60 FPS limits don't like it if you cap them to something like 55 FPS.
I'd really suggest buying (or waiting for) a monitor which can do at least 75Hz.

The threshold of what appears smooth seems to vary from person to person.
For me, even with G-Sync, when a game starts dropping below 55 FPS or so, it no longer appears smooth at all. And the more time I spend with games running at high framerates, the lower my tolerance is even for games running at or near 60 FPS.

If you're fine with playing 30 FPS games, 35-45 FPS on a G-Sync monitor would be an improvement.
You'll still notice it if a game is running at 60 and then drops to something like 35 though.
But don't expect 35-45 FPS G-Sync to feel significantly better than 30 FPS if you already dislike when games drop below 60.

G-Sync for me was more about enabling unlocked framerates above 60 FPS, rather than low framerates.
With a 144Hz monitor, V-Sync can only lock to 144, 72, 48, or 36 FPS.
With a 144Hz G-Sync monitor, the entire range is usable, but most importantly, 48 FPS and up.
Instead of capping to 48 FPS, a game might run at 55-65 unlocked. Instead of capping to 72 FPS, it might run at 90-105 etc.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017

Gsync definitely works down to 30fps or lower. I've dabbled with some 4k on my 1070 capping to 30 fps and it's definitely doing it's thing. However once you have experienced Gsync over 60fps, closer to 80-100, your tolerance for 30fps will be very low. It's even difficult to settle for 60fps now for me.

But to answer your question, it will do its thing at lower frame rates .

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Buying an Acer XB270HU ~2 years ago was without doubt the best upgrade I've made for my PC. (after an SSD perhaps)

G-Sync is a literal game changer.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Gsync option set to both windowed and full screen. Only played full screen ACO so far and it's working great! I currently have the vsync option set to fast sync in Nvidia control panel though, so might need to change that to ON, going by above comments.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first I've heard about externally limiting the FPS to 141 w/ a 144hz monitor. I usually just set the in-game limiter to 144 and play. I'll test this w/ Overwatch in a bit.

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So i just got my Acer XB271HU and i've been fiddling with some settings. I've found that enabling both GSync and Vsync at the same time will introduce some pretty notable input lag. I tried using RTSS to globally cap all FPS to 141 or just for Destiny 2 specifically for example, but it didn't seem to work properly as FPS still went up to 144.

So my question is: Should i just continue using VSync off for all games unless they run at a far higher framerate than 144? I don't really play any games where i go past 100 anyway, so i don't really see the point of adding Vsync and fiddling with RTSS any longer. Will Gsync still work properly if FPS goes past 144 for a while or will it disable and not turn itself back on? I'm a little confused about this.

Also, why is it recommended to enable the ''Gsync on for fullscreen'' option instead of fullscreen+windowed mode in the Nvidia Control Panel? Isn't it best to enable support for both? Thanks for any answers.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So i just got my Acer XB271HU and i've been fiddling with some settings. I've found that enabling both GSync and Vsync at the same time will introduce some pretty notable input lag. I tried using RTSS to globally cap all FPS to 141 or just for Destiny 2 specifically for example, but it didn't seem to work properly as FPS still went up to 144.
Destiny 2 supposedly doesn't work with RTSS.

Will Gsync still work properly if FPS goes past 144 for a while or will it disable and not turn itself back on? I'm a little confused about this.
Gsync turns off and Vsync is turned on when your framerate in game matches the maximum refresh rate of your monitor, with some degree of variance (hence, why it's recommended to cap your max refresh rate at 2-3 FPS below your maximum possible refresh rate, as Vsync incurs a lag penalty).

Also, why is it recommended to enable the ''Gsync on for fullscreen'' option instead of fullscreen+windowed mode in the Nvidia Control Panel? Isn't it best to enable support for both? Thanks for any answers.
Enabling support for fullscreen and windowed mode has the unfortunate side effect of Gsync turning on for non-gaming applications such as Chrome, Remote Desktop, etc. These applications can refresh at extremely low rates, and you don't want your monitor to sync to that and turn into a 23 FPS monitor every time you open Photoshop, Skype, etc.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 supposedly doesn't work with RTSS.

Gsync turns off and Vsync is turned on when your framerate in game matches the maximum refresh rate of your monitor, with some degree of variance (hence, why it's recommended to cap your max refresh rate at 2-3 FPS below your maximum possible refresh rate, as Vsync incurs a lag penalty).

Enabling support for fullscreen and windowed mode has the unfortunate side effect of Gsync turning on for non-gaming applications such as Chrome, Remote Desktop, etc. These applications can refresh at extremely low rates, and you don't want your monitor to sync to that and turn into a 23 FPS monitor every time you open Photoshop, Skype, etc.
Of course, i forgot all about Destiny and third party applications. I guess Vsync off is the best way for that game then? The input lag with Vsync on is very noticable. I'll do some testing with RTSS on AC Origins and see if it behaves properly, i only wish the GSync monitor in the Nvidia control panel could be moved around and resized. I like knowing when it's on, but it takes up a lot of screen space.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
i only wish the GSync monitor in the Nvidia control panel could be moved around and resized. I like knowing when it's on, but it takes up a lot of screen space.
Does your monitor have a built in option to display its refresh rate? If so, you can turn that on and see how the number varies when Gsync is engaged.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Picked up a PG279Q last weekend. It's glorious!

Now to decide whether I should sell my S2716DG or keep it as a backup...

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Of course, i forgot all about Destiny and third party applications. I guess Vsync off is the best way for that game then? The input lag with Vsync on is very noticable. I'll do some testing with RTSS on AC Origins and see if it behaves properly, i only wish the GSync monitor in the Nvidia control panel could be moved around and resized. I like knowing when it's on, but it takes up a lot of screen space.

If you have gsync + vsync enabled, the only time vsync will kick in is when you're at or above your refresh rate. If you're there, I suggest just upping graphical features until you're below that cap. The in-game downsampling is great for that. This way, you won't have vsync lag, and your game will look better.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

So my question is: Should i just continue using VSync off for all games unless they run at a far higher framerate than 144? I don't really play any games where i go past 100 anyway, so i don't really see the point of adding Vsync and fiddling with RTSS any longer. Will Gsync still work properly if FPS goes past 144 for a while or will it disable and not turn itself back on? I'm a little confused about this.
When you have a framerate limiter preventing the framerate from hitting the maximum refresh rate, keeping V-Sync enabled basically acts like frame-time compensation for G-Sync and will not add latency.
If you do not have a framerate limiter in place and the framerate hits the maximum refresh rate, it transitions over to standard V-Sync behavior. If that is V-Sync on it will add latency, if it's off, it will tear.
I don't have Destiny 2 but my understanding is that the port is pretty draconian, and will not even allow tools like RTSS to be injected.

I had a quick search around, and you can apparently enable a framerate limit via one of the config files:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/78k54e/destiny_2_guide_on_how_to_limit_your_in_game/ said:
  • Set all desired settings in game that you'd like before doing this, as you will be locking the config file.
  • Make sure your can view your hidden folders.
  • Go to - %APPDATA%\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs
  • Edit cvars.xml
  • Edit value - <cvar name="framerate_cap" value="0" />
  • Replace "0" with your desired frame rate cap.
  • Lock the file to read only.
If that doesn't work, I guess that enabling Fast Sync in the Destiny 2 game profile may be the next best option.
This is a rare exception to the general rule. You should not disable V-Sync with a G-Sync monitor. It also affects behavior around the lower limits of the refresh rate range that your display supports too.
The framerate should never reach or exceed the maximum refresh rate when things are set up properly for G-Sync.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
My point is that i rarely if ever actually reach 144 FPS during gameplay in any game i currently play. Therefore i'm just questioning whether turning Vsync on will be beneficial in any way. The only time i get >144fps is in the main menu in games for example. As long as Gsync kicks back in when gameplay starts (between 60 and 90 in AC Origins), then i really don't see much point enabling Vsync even though FPS on the main menu before starting the game will be well past 200.

If i do go back to play some old game, then i'll see about using RTSS to cap FPS. Had no problem doing it with Skyrim and Fallout 4, but it doesn't seem to play well with the Uplay overlay. Not going to bother with it if it's fine as it is for AC Origins.

I'm just confused about the whole thing about enabling Vsync when Vsync never kicks in anyway. If FPS is capped to 120 for example, i don't see why i'd enable Vsync. Does it actually improve input lag versus keeping Vsync off with a FPS cap at 140?

Does your monitor have a built in option to display its refresh rate? If so, you can turn that on and see how the number varies when Gsync is engaged.
It does, thanks!

Last edited:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else notice that the most recent Dota 2 patch wreaks havoc on framerate?

I was experiencing an issue where the game seemed to slow down and then speed up to catch up to itself, and in teamfights the monitor would turn off entirely. I tested other more demanding games (Titanfall 2, Destiny, 2, Dawn of War III) and none of those games have any problems.

I'm using the AOC G2460PG. Cutting down the framerate cap from 142Hz to 120Hz seems to have fixed the screen blacking out problem, but not the variable framerate problem.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that i rarely if ever actually reach 144 FPS during gameplay in any game i currently play. Therefore i'm just questioning whether turning Vsync on will be beneficial in any way.
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-range/ said:
G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off":

The tearing inside the G-SYNC range with V-SYNC "Off" is caused by sudden frametime variances output by the system, which will vary in severity and frequency depending on both the efficiency of the given game engine, and the system's ability (or inability) to deliver consistent frametimes.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" disables the G-SYNC module's ability to compensate for sudden frametime variances, meaning, instead of aligning the next frame scan to the next scanout (the process that physically draws each frame, pixel by pixel, left to right, top to bottom on-screen), G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" will opt to start the next frame scan in the current scanout instead. This results in simultaneous delivery of more than one frame in a single scanout (tearing).

In the Upper FPS range, tearing will be limited to the bottom of the display. In the Lower FPS range (<36) where frametime spikes can occur (see What are Frametime Spikes?), full tearing will begin.

Without frametime compensation, G-SYNC functionality with V-SYNC "Off" is effectively "Adaptive G-SYNC," and should be avoided for a tear-free experience (see G-SYNC 101: Input Lag & Optimal Settings).

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On":

This is how G-SYNC was originally intended to function. Unlike G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off," G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" allows the G-SYNC module to compensate for sudden frametime variances by adhering to the scanout, which ensures the affected frame scan will complete in the current scanout before the next frame scan and scanout begin. This eliminates tearing within the G-SYNC range, in spite of the frametime variances encountered.

Frametime compensation with V-SYNC "On" is performed during the vertical blanking interval (the span between the previous and next frame scan), and, as such, does not delay single frame delivery within the G-SYNC range and is recommended for a tear-free experience (see G-SYNC 101: Input Lag & Optimal Settings).
As I've said already, vsync does work with Gsync but due to how Gsync operates tearing will only happen when frametimes are highly variable.

dangeROSS

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, interesting stuff on turning on V-sync in the control panel. I'll have to go back and do that. Thanks for the heads up.