• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Global NULL+Gsync seems to be pretty sweet if you are okay with loosing GPU utilization. Need to test it more but It seems to take a few% points off utilization but smooth out the frame times quite a bit. I have no way to test the latency, but I don't think I noticed a difference.

I actually noticed global NULL causes some issues in online games where the game would often hang or lag for a second. Two examples I noticed this with was Battlefield V and Rocket League. Rocket League was super smooth offline with NULL but online it felt that at times the game tried to display frames faster than the server could handle so the game would "wait" till the server caught up.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I actually noticed global NULL causes some issues in online games where the game would often hang or lag for a second. Two examples I noticed this with was Battlefield V and Rocket League. Rocket League was super smooth offline with NULL but online it felt that at times the game tried to display frames faster than the server could handle so the game would "wait" till the server caught up.
Was this with NULL set to Ulta?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recommend using NULL unless you really don't want to deal with frame rate limiters at all.
  • Low Latency: Off - Flip Queue is controlled by the application (defaults to 3).
  • Low Latency: On - Flip Queue is set to 1 (the minimum).
  • Low Latency: Ultra - Flip Queue is set to 1 and a frame rate limiter is enabled to prevent the queue from being filled.
NVIDIA's frame rate limiter automatically sets a limit some amount lower than your refresh rate.
At 144Hz it is only 5 FPS lower (139 FPS) which is reasonable, however at 240Hz it caps to 224 FPS which seems lower than it needs to be.
I don't believe NVIDIA's frame rate limiter is as low latency as RTSS, and it's definitely not as low latency as a game with a well-implemented FRL.

I've also run into issues enabling NULL globally, as it implemented the limiter in applications where it should not be used - similar to how enabling windowed-mode G-Sync will activate in some desktop applications.
I find it much quicker and easier to set up exceptions in RTSS - though I typically configure RTSS to only be used in whitelisted applications rather than blacklisting ones where I don't want it to be used.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recommend using NULL unless you really don't want to deal with frame rate limiters at all.
  • Low Latency: Off - Flip Queue is controlled by the application (defaults to 3).
  • Low Latency: On - Flip Queue is set to 1 (the minimum).
  • Low Latency: Ultra - Flip Queue is set to 1 and a frame rate limiter is enabled to prevent the queue from being filled.
NVIDIA's frame rate limiter automatically sets a limit some amount lower than your refresh rate.
At 144Hz it is only 5 FPS lower (139 FPS) which is reasonable, however at 240Hz it caps to 224 FPS which seems lower than it needs to be.
I don't believe NVIDIA's frame rate limiter is as low latency as RTSS, and it's definitely not as low latency as a game with a well-implemented FRL.

I've also run into issues enabling NULL globally, as it implemented the limited in applications where it should not be used - similar to how enabling windowed-mode G-Sync will activate in some desktop applications.
I find it much quicker and easier to set up exceptions in RTSS - though I typically configure RTSS to only be used in whitelisted applications rather than blacklisting ones where I don't want it to be used.

Yeah I also stopped using NULL now except in fighting-games where I tested it and it works okay. Though I still have a global RTSS cap at 140/144 and didn't run into any issues this way so far.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I also stopped using NULL now except in fighting-games where I tested it and it works okay. Though I still have a global RTSS cap at 140/144 and didn't run into any issues this way so far.
I don't know about fighting games, but yes there are some specific games where you may wish to enable NULL.
If I recall correctly, Destiny 2 does not (or did not) have its own frame rate limiter, and does not work with external limiters such as RTSS. For a game like that, I would enable NULL on its profile.

So, In the games I tested they never reach my fps cap of 140 but with NULL on the frametime graphs are much smoother.
Smoother than Low Latency On, or smoother than Low Latency Off?
In my experience some games -particularly anything running on Unreal Engine 3- benefit greatly from reducing the flip-queue to 1, even when using a frame rate limiter.

These are old tests now (2015) but this was equivalent to Low Latency Off, with a 60 FPS RTSS limit:
60-rtssaeucw.png

And this was equivalent to Low Latency On:
no-capygup8.png

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about fighting games, but yes there are some specific games where you may wish to enable NULL.
If I recall correctly, Destiny 2 does not (or did not) have its own frame rate limiter, and does not work with external limiters such as RTSS. For a game like that, I would enable NULL on its profile.

In my experience some games -particularly anything running on Unreal Engine 3- benefit greatly from reducing the flip-queue to 1, even when using a frame rate limiter.

These are old tests now (2015) but this was equivalent to Low Latency Off, with a 60 FPS RTSS limit:
60-rtssaeucw.png

And this was equivalent to Low Latency On:
no-capygup8.png

Good to know on both things, thanks!

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
LL Off was less smooth than LL Ultra. Most of the games I tested were UE3.5 or 4.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
ok, guys. I just got my 144hz gysnc enabled monitor and want to make sure i'm set up right.

• I have Gysnc enabled, vertical sync (in the Nvidia settings) set to "On".
  • Rivatuner is always running (as I use it for monitoring and stuff) and capped to 141hz max
  • In game I have all vsync related things turned off.

Anything else?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
ok, guys. I just got my 144hz gysnc enabled monitor and want to make sure i'm set up right.

• I have Gysnc enabled, vertical sync (in the Nvidia settings) set to "On".
  • Rivatuner is always running (as I use it for monitoring and stuff) and capped to 141hz max
  • In game I have all vsync related things turned off.

Anything else?
It's better to cap the frame rate in game vs using rivatuner. You get less input lag that way, but if the game has no option to cap the frame rate, then rivatuner will do fine.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's better to cap the frame rate in game vs using rivatuner. You get less input lag that way, but if the game has no option to cap the frame rate, then rivatuner will do fine.

Is that actually the case now? Did in-game caps get better? I know in 2015 when I built my last PC everyone was suggesting using Rivatuner for caps, not in-game ones.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Is that actually the case now? Did in-game caps get better? I know in 2015 when I built my last PC everyone was suggesting using Rivatuner for caps, not in-game ones.
Your thinking of games that have a 30 fps cap, those are usually not very good. Games like overwatch and other Fps like COD have built in frame rate limiters, and you can set the highest frame rate you want the game to run. The in game options run a few ms faster than Rivatuner.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Your thinking of games that have a 30 fps cap, those are usually not very good. Games like overwatch and other Fps like COD have built in frame rate limiters, and you can set the highest frame rate you want the game to run. The in game options run a few ms faster than Rivatuner.

It depends. In my experience most in game fps cappers exhibit frametime issues. RTS has always ben much better for me.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. In my experience most in game fps cappers exhibit frametime issues. RTS has always ben much better for me.
Agreed. Whenever I use the in game frame cap in an Unreal Engine game, the frame times are all over the place. Just try both and keep an eye on your frame time graph.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I don't really get the hype around Gsync. I am playing RDR2 and if I max the settings out enough so it isn't a constant 60fps I still get frametime spikes when the framerate drops causing micro stutters. Am i doing something wrong?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, I don't really get the hype around Gsync. I am playing RDR2 and if I max the settings out enough so it isn't a constant 60fps I still get frametime spikes when the framerate drops causing micro stutters. Am i doing something wrong?
Is it running it borderless fullscreen? A lot of games do that now for some silly reason, which gsync doesn't work as well with. If gsync is working, remember it doesn't change your framerate. It's not gonna fix performance issues or sudden spikes.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Frame-time spikes are usually caused by settings being too high for your system (commonly draw distance/LoD settings or texture resolution) or a problem with the game engine itself and the way that it handles things like shader compilation or streaming in level data.

smooth-frametime-grapvlkmc.png

A variable but smooth frame-time graph like this one will be perfectly smooth on a G-Sync display, but will stutter on a fixed refresh rate display.

spiky-frametime-graphcaje1.png

A spiky frame-time graph like this one will stutter no matter what kind of display you're using, as the cause of the stuttering is something in the game engine and nothing to do with the frame rate not matching a fixed refresh rate.
Sometimes this can be fixed by changing settings (both of these graphs were taken from the same location in the same game) but many times there's nothing you can do about it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is it running it borderless fullscreen? A lot of games do that now for some silly reason, which gsync doesn't work as well with. If gsync is working, remember it doesn't change your framerate. It's not gonna fix performance issues or sudden spikes.
Yeah it sucks but it's because DX12 doesn't support exclusive fullscreen as I understand it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it sucks but it's because DX12 doesn't support exclusive fullscreen as I understand it.
DX12/Vulkan use a new presentation mode that bypass the compositor while still behaving like a borderless window when switching between applications.
It's the best of both, as "fullscreen" G-Sync still works correctly, but you still get fast alt-tabbing.
Windows 10's "Full-screen Optimizations" upgrade existing games to use this presentation mode too. It is not downgrading them to borderless mode.

The main drawback is if you're wanting to output a resolution that is different from your desktop resolution.
Most games using this presentation mode scale to the desktop resolution, so you have to change it before launching the game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So this article says a Gsync + Vsync Off still has a slight advantage in input lag over Gsync + Vsync On due to tearing, people on here saying it's the same/ no difference?, am I missing something?
blur-busters-gsync-10s1kiy.png

1-2ms is negligible. Arguably below the threshold of human perception in this scenario.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frame-time spikes are usually caused by settings being too high for your system (commonly draw distance/LoD settings or texture resolution) or a problem with the game engine itself and the way that it handles things like shader compilation or streaming in level data.

smooth-frametime-grapvlkmc.png

A variable but smooth frame-time graph like this one will be perfectly smooth on a G-Sync display, but will stutter on a fixed refresh rate display.

spiky-frametime-graphcaje1.png

A spiky frame-time graph like this one will stutter no matter what kind of display you're using, as the cause of the stuttering is something in the game engine and nothing to do with the frame rate not matching a fixed refresh rate.
Sometimes this can be fixed by changing settings (both of these graphs were taken from the same location in the same game) but many times there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm a little late to reply, but thanks for the explanation. I can't get RDR frametime to look like your first graph.
It is either a straight smooth line if I have the settings low enough for solid 60fps frame rate or lock my framerate to a lower rate with RTSS, or a smooth line with spike every once in a while like graph number 2 when my framerate is fluctuating. Like I can get it so my framerate is always between 50 and 60fps but I get the large spikes not the little ones of the first graph.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little late to reply, but thanks for the explanation. I can't get RDR frametime to look like your first graph.
It is either a straight smooth line if I have the settings low enough for solid 60fps frame rate or lock my framerate to a lower rate with RTSS, or a smooth line with spike every once in a while like graph number 2 when my framerate is fluctuating. Like I can get it so my framerate is always between 50 and 60fps but I get the large spikes not the little ones of the first graph.
That's just how some games are.
Some games might be capable of running perfectly smoothly at 60 FPS, but if you unlock the frame rate so it's running above 60 they will stutter. Or you can run them unlocked but have to keep it below a certain threshold to avoid stuttering.
That may be due to the CPU/GPU in your system, the settings used, or simply the engine itself. The Outer Worlds is completely smooth at 30, mostly smooth at ~45, and stutters horribly at 60+ on my system. It doesn't matter if I turn down all of the settings as low as they can go, high frame rates always stutter badly in that game.
Texture quality settings and extended LODs tend to be the settings which are most likely to introduce stutter in my experience. You may have to reduce them to minimize stutter when targeting higher frame rates.

When targeting higher frame rates I tend to work backwards - starting with the lowest possible settings at my target resolution, seeing if that runs smoothly, and then turning things up until it either drops below a frame rate I'm happy with, or if it was smooth before and then starts to stutter with a certain setting.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Pargon I just fired up Warframe and it seems it has a new setting called "Optimize Flip-Model" that only works under Windows 10 and in Borderless and Windowed and I wonder what it does, could it somehow apply the same super smooth flip-mode that Windows 10 applies in fullscreen to borderless? I never saw such a perfect straight line in both frametimes and framerate ever before in Borderless mode, it's 140fps locked at 7.1ms and it feels just as smooth as fullscreen o.o

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Pargon I just fired up Warframe and it seems it has a new setting called "Optimize Flip-Model" that only works under Windows 10 and in Borderless and Windowed and I wonder what it does, could it somehow apply the same super smooth flip-mode that Windows 10 applies in fullscreen to borderless? I never saw such a perfect straight line in both frametimes and framerate ever before in Borderless mode, it's 140fps locked at 7.1ms and it feels just as smooth as fullscreen o.o
The easiest way to test it is to disable G-Sync's windowed mode, and see if G-Sync activates when this option is enabled.
Sounds like it probably is activating flip-mode though.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Gsync defaulted to full screen only when I setup my monitor, Is there any issue with setting full screen and windowed mode?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The easiest way to test it is to disable G-Sync's windowed mode, and see if G-Sync activates when this option is enabled.
Sounds like it probably is activating flip-mode though.

Yeah that's it, G-Sync is still hooking even though I set it to Fullsceen Only. That's the best kind of borderless I've ever seen, could this eventually be done for every game going forward?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Gsync defaulted to full screen only when I setup my monitor, Is there any issue with setting full screen and windowed mode?
I don't see any reason to enable windowed-mode G-Sync, since it doesn't work correctly and only causes problems.
There are two main issues:
  1. Some desktop applications will trigger G-Sync and drop the refresh rate to single-digits with windowed-mode G-Sync enabled. The only solution to that is creating a profile which disables G-Sync, add those applications to the profile, and restart the application. This is particularly annoying with Windows Store apps. They seem most likely to have this happen, and there's no easy way to add them to a profile via NVIDIA Profile Inspector.
  2. Windowed-Mode G-Sync does not sync correctly, and will be "enabled" but will not appear smooth. This is an old video now, but things have not changed:

See how the monitor's refresh rate (upper right) jumps all over the place in "fullscreen windowed" mode even though the game's frame rate (lower right) is constant? This causes the game to stutter badly.
I previously thought this was a bug introduced with a Windows Update (the 1803 version of Windows 10) but was mistaken about the cause. What I had previously thought was "working" windowed-mode G-sync was actually Full-Screen G-Sync in flip-mode via Microsoft's Full-Screen Optimizations.
On the 1709 version of Windows 10—and only 1709—FSO was able to upgrade borderless applications to flip-mode. Unfortunately that caused problems for a lot of games, so they reversed that change and it only upgrades games running in fullscreen exclusive mode to flip-mode now.
So on 1709 it looked like windowed-mode G-Sync was working flawlessly, but that's because it wasn't actually using windowed mode.

Yeah that's it, G-Sync is still hooking even though I set it to Fullsceen Only. That's the best kind of borderless I've ever seen, could this eventually be done for every game going forward?
I hope so, because it's amazing.
And now realize that this is what people have been fighting against when they try to tell anyone that will listen to disable full-screen optimizations and kill the game bar via registry tweaks because "Windows 10 forces games into borderless mode" as if it was the same thing.
As I said above, 1709 did apply this to the majority of games automatically, but it caused a lot of problems. Unfortunately I had a lot of games where it would work great for a while but then it would suddenly lock the frame rate to 24 FPS at random, or after switching to another application and then returning to the game. I'd have to either keep alt-tabbing and hope it would fix itself, or restart the game.

With Kaldaien's "Special K" modding tool, you can force quite a lot of games into using this mode.
I try to use it wherever possible, but it's incompatible with many games - even ones where 1709's FSO worked.
Sometimes there are other issues issues, like the way the mouse cursor is rendered causing it to disable G-Sync whenever the mouse is moved. Special K does have options to hide the cursor automatically after 0.1s though, which can help fix that specific problem.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any reason to enable windowed-mode G-Sync, since it doesn't work correctly and only causes problems.
There are two main issues:
  1. Some desktop applications will trigger G-Sync and drop the refresh rate to single-digits with windowed-mode G-Sync enabled. The only solution to that is creating a profile which disables G-Sync, add those applications to the profile, and restart the application. This is particularly annoying with Windows Store apps. They seem most likely to have this happen, and there's no easy way to add them to a profile via NVIDIA Profile Inspector.
  2. Windowed-Mode G-Sync does not sync correctly, and will be "enabled" but will not appear smooth. This is an old video now, but things have not changed:

See how the monitor's refresh rate (upper right) jumps all over the place in "fullscreen windowed" mode even though the game's frame rate (lower right) is constant? This causes the game to stutter badly.
I previously thought this was a bug introduced with a Windows Update (the 1803 version of Windows 10) but was mistaken about the cause. What I had previously thought was "working" windowed-mode G-sync was actually Full-Screen G-Sync in flip-mode via Microsoft's Full-Screen Optimizations.
On the 1709 version of Windows 10—and only 1709—FSO was able to upgrade borderless applications to flip-mode. Unfortunately that caused problems for a lot of games, so they reversed that change and it only upgrades games running in fullscreen exclusive mode to flip-mode now.
So on 1709 it looked like windowed-mode G-Sync was working flawlessly, but that's because it wasn't actually using windowed mode.

I hope so, because it's amazing.
And now realize that this is what people have been fighting against when they try to tell anyone that will listen to disable full-screen optimizations and kill the game bar via registry tweaks because "Windows 10 forces games into borderless mode" as if it was the same thing.
As I said above, 1709 did apply this to the majority of games automatically, but it caused a lot of problems. Unfortunately I had a lot of games where it would work great for a while but then it would suddenly lock the frame rate to 24 FPS at random, or after switching to another application and then returning to the game. I'd have to either keep alt-tabbing and hope it would fix itself, or restart the game.

With Kaldaien's "Special K" modding tool, you can force quite a lot of games into using this mode.
I try to use it wherever possible, but it's incompatible with many games - even ones where 1709's FSO worked.
Sometimes there are other issues issues, like the way the mouse cursor is rendered causing it to disable G-Sync whenever the mouse is moved. Special K does have options to hide the cursor automatically after 0.1s though, which can help fix that specific problem.

No no this is even better than anything I saw before! With this the game behaves exactly like in Upgraded Fullscreen but it stays in the background and doesn't minimize when you ALT-TAB out of it, it's something I never saw before and honestly mindblowing, I really saw the light after the conversation we had a while ago already but this, this is above and beyond! So I could mimic the same with SpecialK? How would I go about joining the Steam Beta of SpecialK to get the newest Global Injector version?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nvidia's newest driver (441.87) includes its own frame rate limiter with a 40-240fps range. They also specifically mention that you should cap a few frames lower than your max refresh when using G-sync... which is good but also strange that it took them this long to actually acknowledge it.

I don't think anyone's done any in depth tests yet, but initial reports seem to indicate that it's comparable to the RTSS limiter.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what my options are when it comes to the game pass version of Metro Exodus and gsync? Something I noticed with this game is gsync only works on my native resolution (3440x1440). Dropping it down to anything else disables gsync for me. The game is a bit on the heavy side even with a 1080 Ti and I would be fine playing it at a resolution step lower (2560x1440) but this seems to prevent gsync from working.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia's newest driver (441.87) includes its own frame rate limiter with a 40-240fps range. They also specifically mention that you should cap a few frames lower than your max refresh when using G-sync... which is good but also strange that it took them this long to actually acknowledge it.

I don't think anyone's done any in depth tests yet, but initial reports seem to indicate that it's comparable to the RTSS limiter.

It's great that Nvidia finally works in that direction but looking over some quick tests people did over on Reddit it seems that RTSS still remains the best frame-limiter. Let's see if Nvidia improves theirs over time.

Oct 28, 2017

One person in that thread makes a claim that the GPU clocks are lower than RTSS limiter at lower GPU load, has anyone else spend time digging this information?

I believe Vsync ON should also reflect the same GPU clocks as any FPS limiter naturally, unless RTSS has an overhead even with the FPS limiter and keeps the GPU clocks higher.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One person in that thread makes a claim that the GPU clocks are lower than RTSS limiter at lower GPU load, has anyone else spend time digging this information?

I believe Vsync ON should also reflect the same GPU clocks as any FPS limiter naturally, unless RTSS has an overhead even with the FPS limiter and keeps the GPU clocks higher.
I think it's tied to your power management mode in the Nvidia control panel. Optimal and adaptive will clock the GPU down when you're using the FPS cap, but prefer maximum performance will make the GPU perform as expected.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's tied to your power management mode in the Nvidia control panel. Optimal and adaptive will clock the GPU down when you're using the FPS cap, but prefer maximum performance will make the GPU perform as expected.

So is RTSS better in the end if we set Prefer Maximum Performance or not?