• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

G4 and WWE®, announce today they are teaming up for the release of new content series, in partnership with Xfinity, titled, "Arena," a monthly show where the world of streamers, celebrities, pro-athletes and WWE Superstars will collide and enter the G4 Arena to hash out their personal/professional issues with a gauntlet of chaotic, and hilarious, challenges.

Hosted by WWE Superstar Xavier Woods (AKA Austin Creed) and G4 Host Gina Darling, the series will feature major internet personalities including popular Twitch streamers QTCinderella and Myth who are stepping in to the Arena to air out their personal grievances for episode 1.

Fans won't want to miss the premiere on Wednesday, June 29, 2022, at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on G4's Twitch Channel and WWE's UpUpDownDown YouTube Channel. New episodes of Arena will air every month and feature two new guests to settle their qualms once and for all, with the help of WWE Superstars like Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins and more.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Never seen the original, but Gina and Austin are more than enough for me to watch this show. They are great on Attack of the Show.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Are people really watching this new G4 like for real?

Yeah, they've built up a solid community.

When then channel is live, they regularly have at least a few thousand viewers on Twitch/YouTube.

It's not perfect and you can see them figuring things out as time goes on but it's been a very solid launch with some fun content.

It's also been the target of alt-right chuds for being too "woke," having too much diversity/LGBTQ representation and not objectifying women like the channel did in the 2000s. So that's always a plus.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sounds absolutely nothing like the original Arena.

Yeah, this might push some people away but I think it makes sense.

There are a thousand ways to watch teams of "regular gamers" play against each other now. The original Arena was kind of ahead of its time in that way. I think putting known streamers and such against each other is probably the smart way to relaunch the series in 2022.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. Arena is the show that got me into playing games competitively so I'm a bit disappointed that they're bringing it back in this way.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's not perfect and you can see them figuring things out as time goes on but it's been a very solid launch with some fun content.

Yeah, and I feel that is part of the charm for me, specially for the Name your price show.

It's also been the target of alt-right chuds for being too "woke," having too much diversity/LGBTQ representation and not objectifying women like the channel did in the 2000s. So that's always a plus.

Agreed!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

The irony is, since they do the videos live (and then upload them uncut), the talks and humor can get pretty lewd with personal talk and jokes, but not to the expense of others. So this is a more mature version of the original show even moreso (even if producers keep reminding them to keep the bad words to a minimum, since I guess it makes it harder to cut for the tv versions).

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The irony is, since they do the videos live (and then upload them uncut), the talks and humor can get pretty lewd with personal talk and jokes, but not to the expense of others. So this is a more mature version of the original show even moreso (even if producers keep reminding them to keep the bad words to a minimum, since I guess it makes it harder to cut for the tv versions).

It was kind of bubbling under the surface prior but that viral moment when Frosk went off on sexist pigs leaving comments talking about which G4 women they would/wouldn't have sex with really set some of those people off.

I still see them leaving harassing comments about Frosk because of that moment like 6 months later.

I mean, keep hate-watching obviously. Views are views. But it's really pathetic/kind of scary.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea who Gina was. Looked up some clips and she seems like absolute chaos in the best way possible.

I could be down for this

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the responses I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. Arena is the show that got me into playing games competitively so I'm a bit disappointed that they're bringing it back in this way.

To add, G4 has hosted game tournaments that people can sign up for. They've been slowly working on expanding their eSports offerings.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It was kind of bubbling under the surface prior but that viral moment when Frosk went off on sexist pigs leaving comments talking about which G4 women they would/wouldn't have sex with really set some of those people off.

I still see them leaving harassing comments about Frosk because of that moment like 6 months later.

I mean, keep hate-watching obviously. Views are views. But it's really pathetic/kind of scary.

Yeah that was something else :/ Women says "stop being all sexist!" and then when I was trying to find all the clip on Youtube (since G4 clipped just that portion at one point) there were all these listings for "critics" labelling it as a "meltdown". Yeah, someone being pissed off at awful behavior and calling people on it is totally someone having a "meltdown" or whatever :/ What a waste of time to get worked up on and STILL be mad about or whatever. This is why I love Kassem jabs with "This is not *my* G4!!"

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017

I searched for them on YT after this thread and the first thing YT decided to show me, before even any G4TV content, was that goblin The Quartering ..

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this reminds me of watching Video & Arcade Top 10 growing up.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Not only am I never getting the good old G4 back, but they're using their old shows' titles to brand some new garbage. They're taunting me with the corpse of a formerly brilliant product.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've started watching some of their stuff on twitch recently and yeah, kind of surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Vibe check and AoTS are a lot of fun.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nicholas Picholas is a morning radio DJ now, I believe.
Crazy, haha.

I always remember their tips and tricks were always simple stuff like you'd read from a manual. I enjoyed the competition portions though, especially when it was for a game that was yet to be released.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting take.

What exactly made the old G4 "brilliant" that is somehow no longer there now?

I loved their old original shows like Filter, Judgement Day, Cinematech, Cheat!, Portal, etc. It was really cool to have an entire channel dedicated to videogames 24/7, and even the "commercials" were gamer-focused, like the guy playing SSX and talking about what he enjoys about gaming. The product was legitimately something I enjoyed up until they merged with TechTV and became the COPS channel.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
I loved their old original shows like Filter, Judgement Day, Cinematech, Cheat!, Portal, etc. It was really cool to have an entire channel dedicated to videogames 24/7, and even the "commercials" were gamer-focused, like the guy playing SSX and talking about what he enjoys about gaming. The product was legitimately something I enjoyed up until they merged with TechTV and became the COPS channel.

I was just thinking about how remarkable it is that two good channels just kind of shit the bed upon their merger. Hardly any of the TechTV programming survived, and the G4 stuff just got worse over time.