• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
A lot of people used to be really, REALLY obsessed with Reggie back during his early years with Nintendo right after his E3 2004 appearance, but this.......is a whole different level lol.

There was a similar obsession with Phil "Games games games" Spencer when he first became Head of Xbox, but nowhere near this level. Anyone remember the "I believe in Phil Spencer" pics and the Phil Spencer Effect? :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like all of the fanboy hero worship of CEOs is kind of sad and weird. But I do love a good Gabe pic.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
b38.jpg

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people used to be really, REALLY obsessed with Reggie back during his early years with Nintendo right after his E3 2004 appearance, but this.......is a whole different level lol.

There was a similar obsession with Phil "Games games games" Spencer when he first became Head of Xbox, but nowhere near this level. Anyone remember the "I believe in Phil Spencer" pics and the Phil Spencer Effect? :p
How is this a different level? Have you seen some of the crazy gifs from the Sony side? None of Gabe's memes reach that level of complexity or effort except for that oddly Aryan master race one.

Even the Kaz Hirai v Don Mattrick stuff was more elaborate than putting a static image of Gabe with discount signs falling down.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is this a different level? Have you seen some of the crazy gifs from the Sony side? None of Gabe's memes reach that level of complexity or effort except for that oddly Aryan master race one.

Even the Kaz Hirai v Don Mattrick stuff was more elaborate than putting a static image of Gabe with discount signs falling down.

The difference is Gabe is from a PC centric game company instead of a figurehead for a console manufacturer. That makes it on a different level and weird and yucky.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is Gabe is from a PC centric game company instead of a figurehead for a console manufacturer. That makes it on a different level and weird and yucky.
Huh? Wtf lol. Well ok then. Don't know why that would even be the case. Why are console memes more acceptable but PC memes not? Like I said, most of Gaben memes are just Steam sale related so even the PC master race stuff won't apply here.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Has he been relevant ever since Valve pretty much decided to let their games development shutter down?

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Huh? Wtf lol. Well ok then. Don't know why that would even be the case. Why are console memes more acceptable but PC memes not? Like I said, most of Gaben memes are just Steam sale related so even the PC master race stuff won't apply here.

Ah, c'mon. It's tongue in cheek!

OP
OP

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has he been relevant ever since Valve pretty much decided to let their games development shutter down?

Considering how little valve does these days outside of lootboxes and fucking up steam, I'd think Gaben had fallen out of most people's favor.

He has become like the ship AI in Homeworld. He's there behind the scenes holding everything together even if you don't see him.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how little valve does these days outside of lootboxes and fucking up steam, I'd think Gaben had fallen out of most people's favor.

Valve's games are being played by millions of people every day and Steam is the best service of its kind by a huge margin. Gabe Newell is still revered and for good reason. I don't like Valve's recent games output but the company has done a lot of wonderful things for PC gaming.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i don't mind it we Nintendo and Sony fans praise Reggie, Miyamoto, Kaz, Iwata, Kojima and more. I think it's just part of the fun, i hope people don't truly worship any of em as a god tho :P havin respect for em tho is normal.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find it odd how Gaben has attracted a cult of personality despite having minimal hands-on involvement with any of Valve's games?

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
Even then, the Steam sales aren't what they used to be (and have kind of ruined the RRP of games)
As much as I liked the sales back in the day I still recognize prices dropping way too fast way too low. I think publishers didn't take steam seriously, they saw it as pocket change. At the time there were also a bunch of articles about steam devaluing games. It didn't surprise me when when the sales weren't as good as before.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I feel like the more fervent fandom has died down with the lack of good steam sales and game releases.
Pretty much this, when flash sales were still a thing the sales periods of Steam were a freaking event that genuinely got me excited for the whole week but the decision of removing them killed any interest... i think i've only bought 1 game on sale since they have made the change.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These shitposts are always hilarious. Valve continues to develop some of the best and bigger games on the platform, and in addition to that are working on 4 new ones.
They continue to develop some of the best and bigger games on the platform, have quite a few new ones in development, and are actually contributing to PC gaming by making great new features like the Steam Controller configuration, in-home broadcasting and VR apis. All of those better and more important than crappy overhyped sequels.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
I think my friend put it best "He's treated like some sort of God". People can get quite fanatical about GabeN specifically.
And that's the worst form of fanatism, also many of its fanarts are related to the stupid pc masterrace thing, so i'm definitively not a fan of all this.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Those Half Life Gaben Freeman ones are wrong.

He is G-Man. Holding poor Gordon in stasis from us.