• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe not describing abuse victims as royalty? I was just giving my take on why some people might take issue with how her comments came across. Just because something isn't intended it doesn't mean it can't be an issue. The problem is it is hard to convey that without making it sound like a big deal when, for the avoidance of doubt, I don't think it is.

As far as I am concerned pushing for equality is so obviously the right thing and I have no power to get people heard so I don't have much more to add on that front. It feels weird even needing to qualify a minor criticism with agreeing with her core point in the first place.

So everyone call them A-listers, but only until the topic is sexual assault?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not describing abuse victims as royalty? I was just giving my take on why some people might take issue with how her comments came across. Just because something isn't intended it doesn't mean it can't be an issue. The problem is it is hard to convey that without making it sound like a big deal when, for the avoidance of doubt, I don't think it is.

As far as I am concerned pushing for equality is so obviously the right thing and I have no power to get people heard so I don't have much more to add on that front. It feels weird even needing to qualify a minor criticism with agreeing with her core point in the first place.

This is such an odd thing for you to point out.

Of some of the women who spoke out about Weinstein early on, she said, "If those people hadn't been Hollywood royalty, if they hadn't been approachable, if they hadn't been people who have had access to parts and roles and true inclusion in Hollywood, would we have believed?"

It seems as if you are ignoring the context of where she mentioned the world royalty. It was describing SOME of the women who spoke about Weinstein early on, and because of who they were people believed them. It is not a stretch of anyone's imagination that some of these women have large influences within Hollywood.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The initial list of accusers that kicked this whole thing off were in no way "Hollywood royalty".

But perhaps you weren't paying attention to them.

I paid attention to those women, I paid attention to Terry Crews and Anthony Rapp, and I am consistently paying attention to the many black women and women of color who have called out men for sexual harassment, but have been ignored by the media.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Being white and hollywood royalty definitely helped. But these people were silenced for decades because they were women!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I understand the sentiment, but is that really an accurate representation of what is happening currently? Much of this was, and has been, kicked off by nobodies and anonymous women speaking out.

Imtehman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
white women was calling for harrassment when bill clinton was forcing himself on them but they didnt say nothing.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was raped before too right?

Anyways, she's not wrong really. Black women have been tossed aside when they come with claims for generations. Probably even more than white women

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
The #metoo movement consists of women of all races, and there is majority white in America. I wouldn't say that makes it a white movement, but certainly it has helped bring it to mainstream attention by force of numbers, and if you will argue so, the threat against a majority white society's white women.

Butz

Nov 21, 2017
I mean, she's not wrong, but I don't really understand what she's hoping to acomplish by saying this. Is she trying to galvanize women of color to start speaking up under the guise that "White women are speaking up so now it's okay for you to as well"? Or is she insinuating that people only took these allegations seriously because white women were the ones to speak up "first"? It seems damaging to the movement to try and splinter it between superficial lines of racial intolerance when the goal should be exposing the sick bastards that have been doing this for so long ,regardless of the color of their victims. Also, I believe numerous gay men of color have been part of the accusers as well, so I think it's also damaging to imply that "only white women get justice". I dunno, maybe I read this wrong, but I'm not really feeling her message at the moment.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, she's not wrong, but I don't really understand what she's hoping to acomplish by saying this. Is she trying to galvanize women of color to start speaking up under the guise that "White women are speaking up so now it's okay for you to as well"? Or is she insinuating that people only took these allegations seriously because white women were the ones to speak up "first"? It seems damaging to the movement to try and splinter it between superficial lines of racial intolerance when the goal should be exposing the sick bastards that have been doing this for so long ,regardless of the color of their victims. Also, I believe numerous gay men of color have been part of the accusers as well, so I think it's also damaging to imply that "only white women get justice". I dunno, maybe I read this wrong, but I'm not really feeling her message at the moment.
Non-white woman victims are ignored or doubted. There's examples from the me too movement as well as other women's movements and lgbt movements mentioned through the thread.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

The bolded is precisely why, race-blind feminism has got to go. Women of color suffer unique racialized misogyny, and "I don't see color" feminism does not help them.

Butz

Nov 21, 2017
The bolded is precisely why, race-blind feminism has got to go. Women of color suffer unique racialized misogyny, and "I don't see color" feminism does not help them.

I understand that, my point was that I don't really see how what Union said is supposed to help the movement because it seems to at the same time shame white women for being fortunate enough to be white and have their voices heard and shame women of color for not speaking loud enough to be heard. Racial inequality is a definite issue but it should be tackled separately so as not to detract from the ultimate goal of taking down any and all sexual abusers.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, my point was that I don't really see how what Union said is supposed to help the movement because it seems to at the same time shame white women for being fortunate enough to be white and have their voices heard and shame women of color for not speaking loud enough to be heard. Racial inequality is a definite issue but it should be tackled separately so as not to detract from the ultimate goal of taking down any and all sexual abusers.
the only people it's shaming are the ones who only choose to listen to white women.

Many white women would agree with her message completely. Not enough, but many.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With her comments shes asking for intersectionality and calling out a lack of. Intersectionality important and not something to be pushed to the side to be worried about later if at all. Definitely a priority

Butz

Nov 21, 2017
the only people it's shaming are the ones who only choose to listen to white women.

Many white women would agree with her message completely. Not enough, but many.

That's a good message. I feel she didn't convey it as well as she could have, though, especially the line about "If those people hadn't been Hollywood royalty, if they hadn't been approachable, if they hadn't been people who have had access to parts and roles and true inclusion in Hollywood, would we have believed?" because many accusers aren't "Hollywood royalty" and numerous still only spoke with the assurance that their name was off-the-record because they rightfully still feared for their career and own personal safety for speaking out. I feel in the current climate that any accusations of abuse will be taken very seriously, regardless of race. I understand that it sucks that apparently white women speaking up while women of color were ignored led us here, but I feel the ends justify the means if women of color will now be taken more seriously now that the spotlight is shining brightly on the entire industry.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that it sucks that apparently white women speaking up while women of color were ignored led us here, but I feel the ends justify the means if women of color will now be taken more seriously now that the spotlight is shining brightly on the entire industry.
Maybe that can happenhere but as history has shown and continues to show this doesn't happened for women of color, black women in particular, through out any feminist movement. Black Women always have to demand for intersectionality or pick up the torch and do the work for their own causes unique to them. This is why we have womanism. Waiting for progress to trickle down doesn't seem to work out.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Huh

"Black voices are being silenc-"

"Oh shut up, Gabrielle, no one is being silenced"

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain

It can't be taken separately by women of color though, that's the point. They're both women AND non-white.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Weinstein's story actually proves her point If you look at it over years instead of months. IIRC, the actress that went to the NYPD was Fillipina, and her story was dropped by the DA and mostly ignored. And then it wasn't picked up again until the story was about Angelina Jolie and Gwenyth Paltrow and Ashley Judd , women who not only are famous themselves, but the children of famous people (which is why referring to them as royalty isn't that facetious).

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nnNSC7D.gif

I was also thinking the same thing, while i was out for a walk yesterday.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

It's more like shame on society for prioritizing white womens suffering over women of color suffering. In American society, race is so integrated into everything that it's impossible - and I'd say disingenuous- to try and separate it from other issues.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
We as a society need to be better at listening to and helping all women, not just straight white women.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She's.... not wrong, guys.

It's not even just feminism. Just look at the "face" of the gay rights movement. It's still very much white.

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the Lupita denial, so there's one, but Weinstein is being exposed already. The media at large is not denying her, only he is. For all of the other posters jumping on me to point out that the movement was started years ago by a black woman, I know that. It's irrelevant because the idea that it only caught on now has nothing to do with color, it has to do with Weinstein being exposed and opening the floodgates. I understand and sympathize that for years minorities have been silenced, but as far as I am concerned the time to speak up is now. I am not seeing a ton of evidence that were women of color to speak now that they would be silenced while we would be listening to the white women. Gabrielle Union is speaking up, and we're listening. If she has something to say about an abuser, I do not think it would be silenced. I don't even know the race of the majority of the countless recent accusers.

Not exactly a secret that she was raped.

So have any black women's accusations been outright rejected?

I don't think that would happen under the current climate.

Three have been named in this thread alone. Not successfully, but they definitely tried it.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lena Dunham was the prefect example a few weeks ago
Yep. White feminism has always been a problem.

Edit - Hell, there is always an element of most progressive movements where there are white people use and abuse minorities, not always treating them equally or stepping up to the plate for them as they should.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
seriously. people didn't see the horrifically racist shit the suffragettes said about black women? the entire women's right to vote movement began and ended with black women left in the dust.

RastaMentality's been on point the entire thread. Even today I find a lot of white feminist figures are quick to dismiss or outright ignore the problems faced by coloured women. It's definitely not a great look. I consider myself a feminist, and I see this as something that has to change - especially in a place like Canada (Where I currently reside), where many young 2nd generation immigrants, women especially are facing a sort of cultural diaspora.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's still progress. Before, no women were listened to and now they are. The predators are getting outed and that will help all women.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I take her point but labeling the accusers in these cases as Hollywood royalty I think is really shitty, especially since the vast majority of them simply aren't. Rose McGowan isn't Hollywood royalty. The comics who accused Louis aren't royalty (in fact, they're relative nobodies *because* of how they were intimidated out of jobs by Louis' manager). The women who have launched accusations against Al Franken and Matt Lauer and a half-dozen NPR hosts are not royalty. These women have been silenced for so long strictly because they were not big enough to be listened to in the first place!

And while I think Union's writings on rape and empowering survivors' voices are important (and also actually well-written) I still think it's bullshit the way she effectively looked the other way on Nate Parker with "well I guess we can never really know what happened." If you took that stance on every he said/she said case, well, we'd be right back where we started.

It definitely stood out how Harvey Weinstein put out that blistering statement summing up to "I definitely didn't fuck her" all of about five minutes after Lupita Nyong'o spoke out. Getting caught with a black woman is literally worse than being accused of rape in the eyes of these fucks.

Weinstein denied raping anyone. It's not like he said he raped everyone BUT the black women who accused him.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is not a new complaint. Feminism original roots were from women of class and privilege. Since then it's been a battle. Moreover, women in the lower socioeconomic ladder and women of color have been voiceless for a long time. Additionally, many women in those demographics can't relate much to the issues presented by White feminism. Many of them are stuck in pink collar jobs, are single parents, struggle with poverty and so on. They simply have bigger problems and they find the discussion around white feminism not something they can relate with.

It's not to say the issues that white feminist bring up are not valid. It's more to say the concerns of other women are not on the table for discussion. I don't think it's malicious, but there's a wold of difference between a white woman who is trying to make law partner at her firm and a single mother woman of color working two pink collar jobs. Both face issues with sexism but in different ways.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Well it's still progress. Before, no women were listened to and now they are. The predators are getting outed and that will help all women.
And here it is. The whelp reply. Black women need to just wait their turn right? This line of thinking is just ridiculous.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I look at this topic

Then I look at the topic on Murray Miller and his lawyers lying about Aurora Perrineau. Days late to being created. 45 minutes old. Already lmost off the front page at the time of writing this post.

Yep, this article totally doesn't know what it's talking about./s

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
This is literally what's she's talking about. When it comes to matters that'll, "Help all people," minorities are kinda forgotten about.

This is also a compaint about of lot of things that people tend to forget about. Its like when movies or TV shows are applauded for getting a diverse cast when its just adding a few black people, as a brown person I feel like we are left in the dust.

Every social movement needs a reminder that there are minorities within the minorities, and on that very principle they should support them all.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
She was raped before too right?

Anyways, she's not wrong really. Black women have been tossed aside when they come with claims for generations. Probably even more than white women

Yes. Gabriel Union has basically been the black voice of transparency when it comes to sexual trauma.

In recent months she has reminded us that she was raped while working at a Payless shoe store. Indeed, that was an old story but because she's black, nobody really remembered.

She has also discussed her struggles as a woman suffering from infertility....