• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

Gadget Tendency - Gadgets, Technology And More

Gadgets, Technology and More

The Sony PlayStation 5 game console is not suitable for mining, the mining of cryptocurrency is limited by the system. However, Chinese enthusiasts have managed to get around this limitation.

Etherium mining was successfully launched on the console, which is confirmed by the photo with the screenshot. Judging by the screenshot, the mining performance of the console reaches 98.76 MH / s, and the power consumption is 211 W.

This-is-a-breakthrough-Sony-PlayStation-5-has-been-adapted.png

Oh no, miners might jump on the PS5 train now making consoles even less findable if that mining solution is widespread.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well that's not good. Governments need to put bans/limitations on mining, it's such a waste of energy.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue about mining hash rates, how does it compare to an RTX 3070 / 3080 / 3090 etc?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, seems like sony needs to have a talk with retailers world wide or start selling directly to customers.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I don't think it will get that bad, but Sony has to address the shortages.
Strongly disagree after what mining has done to the GPU space.
The PS5 is 1/2 the price or even less than buying a RTX 3080 which is what that hashing rate is equivalent to.

Its clear what miners will buy now if they see them, half the price or lower, lower power consumption, more profits.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how "mining" virtual currency work exactly.

Is this profitable? I feel like an idiot for even asking this question lol

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Won't this be pretty bad for Sony? I recall a lot of people saying consoles are sold at a loss with the expectation that games and PS+ make up the difference, this'll be a lot of consoles sold with 0 intention of buying software.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Oh fuck, MS better find a way to "adapt" the Series X/S for mining fast or else they'll never win this generation!

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
- RTX 3080 costs over 1000€ and does 86MH/s using 280W
- PS5 costs 529€ and does almost 100MH/s using 211W

Yeah you won't find a PS5 on the store shelves any time soon.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
The thing with Playstation vs a PC though is the Playstation architecture is closed off and not meant for something like this, so I am sure a patch will come down the line to stop this sort of thing from happening.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Won't this be pretty bad for Sony? I recall a lot of people saying consoles are sold at a loss with the expectation that games and PS+ make up the difference, this'll be a lot of consoles sold with 0 intention of buying software.
Yeah I was thinking that this sounds pretty bad for Sony if it ever takes off and becomes an actual issue.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Strongly disagree after what mining has done to the GPU space.
The PS5 is 1/2 the price or even less than buying a RTX 3080 which is what that hashing rate is equivalent to.
This is still a very hacky solution though. The article doesn't even explain how it was done.

Also, if you're a miner, why try finding a PS5, and paying crazy scalper prices--still, when you can get other options that are easier to find?

Oct 27, 2017
It's not suitable for mining, but can do the same rate as a RTX 3080? Incoming $1000 prices.

Profit Calculator
I looked it up and it actually seems a bit better. Maybe it's the 16GB of memory? I have no idea, I never mined crypto so I don't know how this works.

But this basically makes PS5 scalper prices a bargain for miners. Also the power usage and resale value seem to be much better than the typical desktop GPU.

We live in crazy times people.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so glad I got a PS5 and 3080 day one lol

Is this something Sony could block via firmware?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
So aside from the viability of it, what would it mean for a console if it was a good mining opportunity?

Like, do you guys think Sony would manufacture more in order to meet the demand for gaming and for mining? On top of being wasteful that seems like it would be a dangerous thing to chase because it would eventually be replaced by something else, killing that mining demand and tanking the aftermarket price of the console.

I have to imagine they would just have to continue as normal and the console would be even harder to find and even more expensive used until something else comes along to mine with or the crypto bubble crashes.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
- RTX 3080 costs over 1000€ and does 86MH/s using 280W
- PS5 costs 529€ and does almost 100MH/s using 211W

Yeah you won't find a PS5 on the store shelves any time soon.
This is what people need to understand. PS5s aren't going to be readily available until 2022 at the earliest.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

It was already a massive mistake to price the PS5 as low as they did. It might even look worse now.

Status
Not open for further replies.