• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
What is Gaki no Tsukai?

Gaki no Tsukai or Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! is a popular television series in Japan that hosts end-of-yearly 'Batsu Games', a 24-hour period where the comedians who take part in Gaki no Tsukai are filmed as they embark on a journey where they are banned from laughing for the duration of the day or else face punishment of varying degrees. More can be found on the Wikipedia page.

What's the theme?
Each year, the Batsu Games have a particular theme which provide some context to what happens in the 24-hour period;

2019/20 - No-Laughing Seishun High School
2018/19 - No-Laughing Treasure Hunters
2017/18 - No-Laughing American Police
2016/17 - No-Laughing Science Lab
2015/16 - No-Laughing Detectives
2014/15 - No-Laughing Prison
2013/14 - No-Laughing Earth Defence Force
2012/13 - No-Laughing Enthusiastic Teachers

And for the 2020/21 period.....? No-Laughing Poor People GoTo Las Vegas!

rqtnTzzjzJdZR3YNyAvdM9f7sp24wjWHN1QSOzAgw1w.jpg

(yes, this is the best the PR people could offer this year)

But I can't speak Japanese!
Not to worry! Some valiant people out on the internet do undertake various fan-subbing efforts later in the year, otherwise you will be able to live-stream it in various places online during its broadcast

Related Links
Official Main Page
Live Link 1
Live Link 2
Fan-subbing Team
Fan-subbing Team FB Page

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I can't wait for this years. Would be amazing if they did it here lol.
Thats what I was thinking - be it the US, UK or wherever, there is plenty of material in having a group of comedians face-off against various challenges over a longer than usual time-frame.

Thanks OP for reminding me about this gem!

When can we expect this party to start?

In about 15 hours time, to the best of my knowledge.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Always the best way to end the year in Japan. This years theme is certainly interesting. Can't wait to see what the next six hours have in store and all the cameos and such.

And we start with a joke that will certainly cause trouble for a lot I'm sure. This will be certainly be an interesting six hours confirmed.

Ventus182

Oct 26, 2017
Another new year, another batsu game. I always hope they will continue to do this forever but seeing how old they are I imagine this will be the last one or one of the last

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Oh shit this is a yearly ritual for me. Thanks for the links, though they seem to be down. Will catch them later but love that we have an OT for this.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Another new year, another batsu game. I always hope they will continue to do this forever but seeing how old they are I imagine this will be the last one or one of the last

Two years ago they seemed to hint they were ended it that year but turns out they weren't serious. I bet they can kee it going for a while longer. But with the amount of well known Japanese shows leaving the air in recent years you never know.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hope this year is they add some new stuff to it. The shows have been a bit too much the same the last five years. Still they tend to be always a blast.

Also one thing people forget is that the show is followed by a vey good funny comedy special by 99 where little known comedians get a chance for their big break. Always fun to stay up after midnight watching that too.

Ventus182

Oct 26, 2017
Two years ago they seemed to hint they were ended it that year but turns out they weren't serious. I bet they can kee it going for a while longer. But with the amount of well known Japanese shows leaving the air in recent years you never know.

I hope they continue for few more years. I love Gaki and their Batsu games, probably the best laugh I ever had.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they continue for few more years. I love Gaki and their Batsu games, probably the best laugh I ever had.

Same here. I bet they have a few left in them. Plus considering how many more people are watching this over Kouhaku each year, Nihon TV will want to keep those ratings I'm sure ;) and will make sure they stay on a while longer.

Oct 27, 2017
Hamada wasn't in that outfit in the preview reel showing the dash to the finish line (among other scenes) so I assume it comes off at some point.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
OP should mention that it takes Team Gaki several months to fully sub each batsu. Complete subs weren't released until May or June this year, I believe.

Oh, and the classic batsu games like 24 hour tag, haunted hotel, school, and hospital should get mentions too. And the Gaki fan forum (which appears to be down ATM)!

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stand watching these live. So many goddamn commercials

Yeah they really do pack them in on this special. More so than usual for tv shows here. But its new years and a special so they have to air as many as they can of course. Ill be seeing all these same commercials over and over again on every special over the next 3 days. Especially the "first sale of the year ones."