• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
We reached out for comment and received the following from PQube:

Today we have received word that Gal*Gun 2 has been refused classification in Germany.

We'll always try to get games through classification regardless of the possibility of it being denied, as we feel that everyone should have the right and the access to play the games they want to play. It is our opinion that disliking the content in a piece of entertainment or art, and voicing that dislike, is totally fine and even encouraged, but denying that work the right to exist in a market based on personal opinions and prejudices, is something we strongly disagree with.

Unfortunately our appeal against this decision has been unsuccessful. Given that Gal*Gun: Double Peace did receive classification in Germany, we're doubly disappointed that we cannot bring the highly-anticipated title to our fans in Germany. However, we will have to accept and respect the decision of the USK.

No age rating from the USK in turn means that it cannot be sold in Germany, as no German-rated version of the game can exist. To be sold and packaged, either physically or digitally, a game needs to have an age rating for its given region, according to Sony's PlayStation rules.

But, on top of this, PQube did also reveal to us that Gal*Gun2 has successfully received an R18 rating from the Australian age rating body, the ACB.

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/gal-gun-2-banned-in-germany/

Deleted member 62

angela2bmerkel2b252b2ihso3.gif

They expected an 18+ rating, so this is a bit surprising.

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid person: I see fascism is still alive in Germany

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised it made Australia, to be honest.

I'll say this much, I don't jive with a lot going on in those games (gal gun 1 and 2), but Gal Gun is DEMONSTRATIVELY the best playing titty game on the market. It is "most video game" of all the ultra fanservice titles out there and, if you're going to spend time and effort making titty games, you should follow their example.

Whizper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the USK refused to give it a rating, that doesn't mean it's banned. It could still be sold in stores (18+, no advertising), but Sony won't allow it, apparently. You're still free to import it, and some small brick and mortar stores might sell imported copies. Only a judge can outright ban a game if the contents are illegal, and the USK seems to think they might be, so they won't rate it. But they can't ban anything.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cue the angry alt-right Twitter accounts with anime avatars.

To be honest, I'm surprised it was refused classification in Germany when Australia just refused to rate Omega Labyrinth Z and it was given a rating in Australia.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
*searches gal gun 2*

jesus...it looks dodgy as fuck...

i can't imagine many people will be too bothered about missing out on that one.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Game isn't actually banned. Can still be imported or sold without marketing to adults.

Looks like Sony doesn't want to.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never really heard of the series. What is it about?

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Just a few days ago another game was refused in Australia, huh? Are things changing?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Never heard of this game. Looked it up. I mean, all of these characters appear underage, so it being 18+ at the very least makes total sense to me.
It's also not really a "ban".

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
*searches gal gun 2*

jesus...it looks dodgy as fuck...

i can't imagine many people will be too bothered about missing out on that one.

Did the same, and yeah,after a thirty second trailer, I'm going to at minimum give the side eye to anyone who goes to bat for what appears to be a game about stripping and/or seducing school aged girls (or at least, that being how they choose to advertise it, which is kinda telling, even if it's not actually what the game is like, but I'd bet it is).

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is. I'm not gonna pretend like I didn't preorder the free hugs edition for switch.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Apparently, Gal Gun 1 got an 16+ rating, which is only the second highest rating there is.

No age rating from the USK in turn means that it cannot be sold in Germany
That's technically wrong. As long as it isn't put on "Liste B", it can be sold in Germany. But in this case, it wasn't even put on any list (yet), it just got its age rating refused. But I guess Sony won't allow any games without an age rating on its system.

Technically it's not banned yet. BPjM hasn't put it on a list yet, has it?
Yes, as of now, it isn't banned (yet), it's just not rated.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
we're doubly disappointed that we cannot bring the highly-anticipated title to our fans in Germany. However, we will have to accept and respect the decision of the USK.

1st off... LOL at the "highly anticipated" part. Doubt that many peopel actually know about the existence of this game. I certainly never heard of it before and I actually know what highly anticipated games are here in Germany.

2nd off... It's not the decision by the USK. The USK is presenting these games to the BPjM (Bundesprüftstelle für Jugendgefährdende Medien), which is about the only institution that is allowed to hand out a veto.

Will probably end up on the Index List, which isn't exactly a ban.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Never really heard of the series. What is it about?

A cupid who is bad at her job shoots you with an arrow that makes all women aggressively fall in love with, but says you have 1 day to fall in love with your one true love...while the entire female population is attacking you, so you have to fight off all these random women with a gun that essentially drives them to orgasm upon being shot.

It is a light gun shooter that is above average in quality. It's actually pretty fun and makes me wish it was about 40% less pervy. The special shots you can use which drag a girl into a photobooth where you essentially rub them in order to drive them to SPECIAL ORGASM is just a bridge too far for me.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did the same, and yeah,after a thirty second trailer, I'm going to at minimum give the side eye to anyone who goes to bat for what appears to be a game about stripping and/or seducing school aged girls (or at least, that being how they choose to advertise it, which is kinda telling, even if it's not actually what the game is like, but I'd bet it is).

the characters may look 12 but their bio's will say they're 24 so it makes it totally ok lol /s

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So generalizations of people based off of avatars still happen around here huh?
I mean the comedy of someone with an anime avatar using the concept of anime avatars against people is pretty funny.

the characters may look 12 but their bio's will say they're 24 so it makes it totally ok lol /s
I mean...if we reallly get into the ages...BECAUSE YOU KNOW THEY'RE ALL LISTED IN THE GAME...I'd bet the average age of the girls is 15, and that's only because you can also "seduce" teachers.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid person: I see fascism is still alive in Germany

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game

I agree that it's a stupid, reductionist argument to call banning a gross piece of entertainment "facisim" - but it's equally problematic for a government to ban entertainment and I find any defenses of this extremely suspect.

It's one thing if the publisher self-censored itself by not releasing the game or making changes to make the product less gross, but this is another thing entirely.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
A cupid who is bad at her job shoots you with an arrow that makes all women aggressively fall in love with, but says you have 1 day to fall in love with your one true love...while the entire female population is attacking you, so you have to fight off all these random women with a gun that essentially drives them to orgasm upon being shot.

It is a light gun shooter that is above average in quality. It's actually pretty fun and makes me wish it was about 40% less pervy. The special shots you can use which drag a girl into a photobooth where you essentially rub them in order to drive them to SPECIAL ORGASM is just a bridge too far for me.
Sort of sounds like the infamous Doki Doki Majo Shinpan series on Nintendo DS.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Apparently, Gal Gun 1 got an 16+ rating, which is only the second highest rating there is.
Makes me wonder what's so much more extreme in this one. Though sometimes does the USK have weird redlines, like that receiving points for killing enemies is unacceptable, which is why RE4 had to cut the mercenaries mode, but years later they suddenly didn't have an issue with it and every re-release featured mercenaries.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
But, on top of this, PQube did also reveal to us that Gal*Gun2 has successfully received an R18 rating from the Australian age rating body, the ACB.
So Gal Gun 2 will be sold in Australia but the breast expansion dungeon crawler will not. I guess the content threshold line has been found.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Really stupid.

What is the point of a rating system if it is inconsistent and feels completely random.

Gal Gun got a 16 USK rating and the sequel doesn't get any rating it is incredibly stupid