• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
The US Samsung pre-order page shows the S10e priced at $849 - Verizon is the only carrier selling their version for $749. Looks like I might as well spend the extra $50 to get the regular S10 for $899.
That $749 price would have only been $200 with my S9 trade in.

Oct 29, 2017
Off topic but how long have you had it and how do you find it? I've been wary of Samsung watches because of Tizen but I don't really want to get an Apple Watch cos of how crap Android support is. And Fenix 5, that price...

I actually like it a lot for what it is. Good battery life and general design, but the app support is pretty skimpy so don't expect to find a bunch of apps through which to really expand the watch's functionality or anything. The watch has received a pretty good amount of updates, my watch is nearly 2 years old now and it's received all the Tizen updates, major and minor. The only thing I have any real issue with is the form factor: it's a very thick watch. This new Active watch seems like it's very lean and light according to this video. There's no rotating bezel though which is oddly enough a nifty little thing about the S3 that I've grown to like.

I don't regret having mine at all. Been wearing it every day for the last 2 years.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Really excited to hear reviews for the Galaxy Buds.

I have the Icon X and still like them a lot, but if it managed to have a faster/stronger Bluetooth connection I can see myself upgrading. Only $130 for them is great too. Just like 2 years ago I was paying $250 for Bose's wireless earbuds.

The case not charging the Buds as much is a bummer (preview said just 7 extra hours which is about one full charge), but the Buds themselves lasting a full 6 hours is pretty great for fully wireless earbuds, and way more than I'd ever need.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like it a lot for what it is. Good battery life and general design, but the app support is pretty skimpy so don't expect to find a bunch of apps through which to really expand the watch's functionality or anything. The watch has received a pretty good amount of updates, my watch is nearly 2 years old now and it's received all the Tizen updates, major and minor. The only thing I have any real issue with is the form factor: it's a very thick watch. This new Active watch seems like it's very lean and light according to this video. There's no rotating bezel though which is oddly enough a nifty little thing about the S3 that I've grown to like.

I don't regret having mine at all. Been wearing it every day for the last 2 years.

I don't think it's the Active version, I'll pass by after work and check it out. Are the base apps decent? I'm mostly thinking the fitness stuff but also Spotify when I go back to the UK (guessing no VPN support on the watch)

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The case not charging the Buds as much is a bummer (preview said just 7 extra hours which is about one full charge), but the Buds themselves lasting a full 6 hours is pretty great for fully wireless earbuds, and way more than I'd ever need.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Does the case have a battery or does the case just act as a charger for them?

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh watched a video, so it seems because the inscreen fingerprint sensor doesn't rely on light, you're able to unlock without needing to wake the screen first. Clever. That makes it much closer to the prior near-instant rear fingerprint sensor unlocks.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The US Samsung pre-order page shows the S10e priced at $849 - Verizon is the only carrier selling their version for $749. Looks like I might as well spend the extra $50 to get the regular S10 for $899.
It's not like the 10e is some insanely gimped device or whatever but it's funny to see the "cheap" device still be that expensive lol.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean?

Does the case have a battery or does the case just act as a charger for them?
The case does have a battery and will charge them for an additional 7 hours. The earbuds themselves apparently last for 6 hours, so you can get about 13 hours total without charging the case.

Technically the case should charge the Buds about as much as the current Icon X's (it charges them about twice, but the earbuds have half the battery length). Would have been nice to get two charges with the new case (or an additional 12 hours), but I'm sure it's a tradeoff to keep the case small which I appreciate.

The Bode headphones had a long lasting battery case, but it was also huge, like twice the size as my Icon X's.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Can't trade in my S8+ because of a broken screen :( (only the glass, mind you)

Do you have insurance on that phone...?

The case does have a battery and will charge them for an additional 7 hours. The earbuds themselves apparently last for 6 hours, so you can get about 13 hours total without charging the case.

Technically the case should charge the Buds about as much as the current Icon X's (it charges them about twice, but the earbuds have half the battery length).

Ahh, now I get it. That's loads of life for my uses. given that the box can also just sit on a wireless charger or the back of the phone, it should cater to mosts needs.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ayye Saaame here lol :(
Even though I've been using a protector since day one, mind you. The fucking infinity screens can't be fully covered :(

Do you have insurance on that phone...?
No insurance. Actually, no need to trade it in, really. Maybe around december or so I'll get the S10 or S10e (The Plus models are a bit to big and slippery for my hands), and use the S8+ as a music device at home.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, now I get it. That's loads of life for my uses. given that the box can also just sit on a wireless charger or the back of the phone, it should cater to mosts needs.
For sure. Honestly, I've never run out of battery on my Icon X's (unless I forgot to keep the case charged) so having like double the battery life in the Buds themselves is pretty impressive.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Same here, I would get it repaired but it will cost about £230.

Luckily it's a hairline crack mainly, and a tiny piece where the glass has fallen out near the button on the right of the bezel.
I tried getting it fixed, but the shops all told me it's kinda risky doing it on a Plus model, as the digitizer and panel tend to go along with the glass during the repair procedure. Plus it's very expensive.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

Luckily it's a hairline crack mainly, and a tiny piece where the glass has fallen out near the button on the right of the bezel.

Wow that's like exactly what happened to mine lol. The bottom left glass cracked and there's like a squiggly line running through that's almost unnoticeable.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, pre-ordered at a Sam's Club... They're offering the ear buds and a $200 gift card to the store. That's a pretty solid deal in my book.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized that cases are going to have to be a little weird for the S10 E due to its fingerprint power button.

Instead of being covered, they'll have to have to have a cutout so your finger can still touch the button.
is 3400 mAH battery considered good?
Depends on the efficiency of the phone to be honest. I think 4000+ is typically considered really good, but stuff like the One Plus 6t which is considered to have solid battery life has like 3700 I think.

But it can depend widely on the phone itself. My older Moto Z Play has incredible battery life and it has 3500. iPhones are pretty efficient too, my XS Max has super long battery life, but it's only about 3100 mAH.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
is 3400 mAH battery considered good?
It's on the lower end than I expected. It has the same capacity as my OG Pixel XL.
Welp, pre-ordered at a Sam's Club... They're offering the earbuds and a $200 gift card to the store. That's a pretty solid deal in my book.
When you guys are mentioning earbuds, is that the new wireless buds they're releasing or just some wired pack-in quality buds?

Last edited:

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
How do you call down the notification bar if there's no fingerprint gesture now? I use that gesture quite a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's the Active version, I'll pass by after work and check it out. Are the base apps decent? I'm mostly thinking the fitness stuff but also Spotify when I go back to the UK (guessing no VPN support on the watch)

Spotify's app is there but I wish it had better functionality. For instance, you can't browse and pick an individual song off a playlist, you can just pick a playlist and it always plays the first in order, so you have to manually hit Next until you get to the song you want. Kind of unwieldy with large-ish playlists. Thankfully there's a built-in sound app that universally works with all music and podcasts apps so you can at least have the standard pause/play/next/previous functions and just use the phone for finer-grained control (change playlist, pick specific song, etc). Yeah it should be better but at least it's functional.

I don't think there's VPN support on the watch, haven't had to use that.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
How do you call down the notification bar if there's no fingerprint gesture now? I use that gesture quite a lot.
Knowing Samsung I'm sure they'll be some gesture setting somewhere to do what you're looking for.

On my Android phones Ive owned, Ive used Nova Launcher's gestures to swipe down from the middle of the phone to fully extend the notification bar

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I can check the gesture tomorrow. I'm going to some Samsung event to try out the phones. I tried out the S10 today at the Samsung Store but was too occupied looking at what's new.

There's Digital Well Being n the settings now unlike the S9 Pie upgrade

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
So I understand o2 not offering the 5g model in the UK, but the ceramic models??
I am so frustrated with this network.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if the Galaxy Buds reviews are good, i'm definitely getting some!

i held of on the IconX 2018 because i felt this gen would take it over the hill.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Best Buy has it for 699 USD unlocked if your interested.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Call me an Apple fanboy but I prefer even the full size iPhone notch to the camera cutout when I see them side by side, the cut out just seems harder to ignore.

That said Apple definitely needs to reduce the notch this year.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me an Apple fanboy but I prefer even the full size iPhone notch to the camera cutout when I see them side by side, the cut out just seems harder to ignore.

That said Apple definitely needs to reduce the notch this year.
To me the cutout looks like an artsy tv channel logo, I got conditioned to ignore things like that from young age. A notch is new, different and would need a little more time for me to ignore.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would get an S10e but don't like power button fingerprint readers, and other models are too expensive. Time to finally get that Note 9 I guess.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
God I want an S10, but I'm way too entrenched in the iOS system. :( I want apple to copy them on this!

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I did wonder why would they would create a pinhole camera for a phone.
They didn't.

Certainly would have been very interesting toy. :D

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, the pixel binning is the only benefit of so many megapixels in a phone, otherwise it is just a waste of space for each photo. So it is only beneficial in low light conditions and phones like the Pixel 3 do fantastic low light processing without any pixel binning (uses machine learning) so 48 megapixel binning seems pointless to include (results in a 12 megapixel image) as long as a phone uses smart AI/machine learning to boost low light performance.

Alright thanks! Even more convinced about the S10 now

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
looks like verizon b1g1 free is up in the US.

edit: all the carriers but t mobile and us cellular are doing it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

A bank account with phone insurance will run you about £12 a month, comes with other shit too. Mine I think is £30 per repair/replacement for non apple phones and I've used it like half a dozen times in 3 years. Never had any issues with claims, they just bung it right through.

I once got it done and had to contact them literally a week later. Another time it was 6 weeks later. No arguments, just did it.

You can always add a few more cracks if you like.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
How much trade in would I get for s9+ with little scratches on the side but everything else is good?

Edit: Is there trade in in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.