• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
As I said above I'm looking to jump from being a lifetime iPhone user to the S10+, I really really like the mute rocker on the iphone. How do you silence a Samsung without looking at the screen? It does look like they are going to allow the mapping of the Bixby button, maybe map it to a double tap to silent? Also I use the magnifying glass triple tap home button on iphone? Does Samsung bake this in also? I tried searching google for the answer but it just gives the triple tap the screen to magnify the screen which isn't what I'm looking for.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Samsung's shitty ass site which wasted me an hour. T-Mobile version finally shows as sold out. Had to get unlocked version (128gb white). If I need to, I should be able to just flash the T-Mobile firmware and be set.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I've got an S6 with N on it. I got it at release with L on it. So I've missed O and P is just rolling out.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
The fine print for the Galaxy Buds offer says they'll ship in 6-8 weeks, but my order says they'll ship by the 8th. I wonder which it is.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
So one or two years 🤔

Even though I don't mind LineageOS the lack of official updates after 2 years is what makes me not want to use Android on my primary device again.
2 years of OS and 3 years of security updates. The s6 is still receiving security updates as of now.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
You can no longer select the 128GB version for any carrier on the Samsung site.

Did they sell out?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Does T-Mobile Wifi-Calling work on Unlocked Samsung phones?

Looking online it seems it does, I just want to confirm.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I think I'm sold on the S10. The S10+ might be a bit too large plus the dual camera cut out doesn't look as appealing as the single. The S10 feels like a better transition from my S9+.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, is there a summary post that goes over the differences between the 10e, 10, and 10+, and the US price?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm sold on the S10. The S10+ might be a bit too large plus the dual camera cut out doesn't look as appealing as the single. The S10 feels like a better transition from my S9+.

Yeah pretty much same screen size a smaller body. I prefer the look too. I just don't want to start making regrets because I think the S10+ is going to have ridiculous battery life. One of the biggest improvements that SD 855 is bringing is battery efficiency. Xiaomi posting scores like this:

J9rXfZd.png

...with the same battery size as the S10+ and Samsung tends to have the most battery efficient screens (1440p kind of holds it back a little though compared to their native 1080P). The S10+ is 700mah higher than the Mi 9's. I think that the S10 at 3400mah will deliver something that's at least on par with last years S9+.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder Samsung is trying to give everyone wireless audio equipment to soften the blow when they remove headphone jack from the galaxy line. Screenshot this!!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Nice review of the galaxy buds in actual use

https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/samsung-galaxy-buds-review/

I took the headphones on a 5-mile run on a treadmill and found them to be among the best true wireless earbuds I've ever worked out in. Their lightweight, compact design means they stayed in place, and the IPX2 rating means I didn't need to worry about getting them sweaty.

Reminder Samsung is trying to give everyone wireless audio equipment to soften the blow when they remove headphone jack from the galaxy line. Screenshot this!!
They have the courage to give them away while still giving people the option.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised, but who knows. The headphone jack is the one place they've zagged versus following Apple. I'm quite surprised it's lasted this long.
I assume it will stay. I'm still not sure if including it is that limiting on some other aspect of the hardware, and if not, doesn't seem worth it to annoy people.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it will stay. I'm still not sure if including it is that limiting on some other aspect of the hardware, and if not, doesn't seem worth it to annoy people.

Well, it's absolutely limiting *some* aspect of the hardware, the question is whether or not Samsung cares. If it's a priority, then those limitations don't matter, whereas for Apple they clearly did (and I have no idea about the rest of the Android OEMs, because they seem more to just be following Apple than staking out a clear product vision.) Every product is about compromises ultimately, and some people can or can't live with.

It's like the notch stuff—I find the notch way less terrible than the hole punch idea (or the "pop out' camera), but other people are the exact opposite. One's not objectively better than the other, but it's about the values the companies put into them that led to those outcomes.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough, I much prefer the look of the curved screen's and especially for that price they're asking; I'd expect the phone to look alot better than it does now. Wouldnt necessarily have to be curved - but its just so bland with that flat screen, it looks like every other generic mid tier phone. There is no reason the s10e should be flat. Samsung made it to look ridiculously similar to the Xs in hopes of selling it i suppose. From what im seeing:
Looks are very dated (bezels are no better / if not worse than alot of android phones that size)
Not a fan of the hole punch
300-400 euro phones will have under display reader's (Mi 9 SE) but a 750 Euro phone cant..?
The only thing it has going for it is size.

I really expect more from that price range. Hell, the s9 is a better deal than the s10e in my opinion.

Curved screens straight up reduce a phone's value to me. If the S10e was curved I'd be skipping yet another generation of Samsung phones.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-ordered the S10 from Samsung. I'd been wanting to sell my iPhone 8 and was going to get the Samsung Buds anyways. I'd probably only have been able to $300 for my iPhone 8, so $550 was too good to pass up. Taking off $130 for the Buds I'm basically getting the phone for $220.
Plus having another Android phone I can finally sell my older Moto Z Play, even if for a small amount.

No real reason to be getting a new phone (I have an XS Max that I'm pretty happy with, even if it's size and weight are a little overkill), but I guess if I don't feel the need to keep this I can just flip it and still probably come out on top.
Doesn't that trip Knox though? I also ordered an unlocked one to use on T-Mobile, but I use Samsung Pay quite heavily so I need Knox to stay functional.
Like I said I saw at least two separate forum posts confirming that it works without doing any firmware stuff, just nothing nothing directly from T-mo or Samsung.

Oct 29, 2017
How does trade-in at best buy work? Do I have to trade in my phone right away? Apparently they can only do it in-store but I don't see info on when the trade actually happens.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does trade-in at best buy work? Do I have to trade in my phone right away? Apparently they can only do it in-store but I don't see info on when the trade actually happens.

If you're trading in to your carrier they should give you a label to ship back. One time I did it with Verizon and I had 14 days to send it back I didn't do the trade in the BB store yet I was able to get my phone that day

Oct 29, 2017
If you're trading in to your carrier they should give you a label to ship back. One time I did it with Verizon and I had 14 days to send it back I didn't do the trade in the BB store yet I was able to get my phone that day
But the trade-in goes to BB, right? I'm going to activate it on my existing Verizon account, but trading my phone into BB gives me an extra $50.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/at9aau/128gb_s10_only_has_6gb_of_ram_not_8/

Apparently there's some confusion (and maybe multiple 128GB S10 SKUs) regarding the RAM, because both actual phones and documentation on multiple websites appear to claim the phone has either 6GB or 8GB of RAM. Some saying it varies by carrier, some saying only the unlocked S10 128gb gets 8gb, some saying even the 512gb is getting 6gb depending on model lol.

Lots of screens in the thread though.

Sprint demo S10:

Verizon demo S10:

AT&T S10 from Samsung's site says 6GB - https://www.samsung.com/us/business...alaxy-s/galaxy-s10-128gb-at-t-sm-g973uzbaatt/

But says 8GB on AT&T's site https://www.att.com/buy/phones/samsung-galaxy-s10-128gb-prism-blue.html

edit: Samsung refutes 6GB Galaxy S10 rumors: All Galaxy S10 and S10+ phones have at least 8GB of RAM

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/at9aau/128gb_s10_only_has_6gb_of_ram_not_8/

Apparently there's some confusion (and maybe multiple 128GB S10 SKUs) regarding the RAM, because both actual phones and documentation on multiple websites appear to claim the phone has either 6GB or 8GB of RAM. Some saying it varies by carrier, some saying only the unlocked S10 128gb gets 8gb, some saying even the 512gb is getting 6gb depending on model lol.

Lots of screens in the thread though.

Spring demo S10:

Verizon demo S10:

You know I did see this a couple of hours ago, but I though it was an actual typo on the website. This is a major fuck up if true. I'm cancelling if my unlocked is 6GB of RAM.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You know I did see this a couple of hours ago, but I though it was an actual typo on the website. This is a major fuck up if true. I'm cancelling if my unlocked is 6GB of RAM.
Someone linked this - https://meeco.kr/mini/24091443 - saying that the demo units were 6GB but production models are 8GB, which is what some people were guessing at, but that only explains why some of the in-store units at 6GB rather than the conflicting web documentation.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
RAMgate, wonderful. Hopefully this gets signal boosted to writers from the tech sites, because no one's going to get a reliable answer from end user customer support.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Samsung refutes 6GB Galaxy S10 rumors: All Galaxy S10 and S10+ phones have at least 8GB of RAM
There are a lot of phones with the Galaxy S10 name now — four, to be precise. But between the various storage configurations of all the S10 models, we've been seeing a lot of confusion online concerning how much RAM each storage tier of the S10 and S10+ will have. We reached out to Samsung to figure out what exactly is going on.

The amount of misinformation we're seeing is almost shocking, and it's primarily due to inaccurate information on Samsung's own website. Many people who've pre-ordered S10s are panicking about their orders showing 6GB of RAM, when they had purchased their phones based on the 8GB figure. We've even seen some allegations of bait-and-switch against Samsung on reddit.
So here's what you need to know: All Galaxy S10 and S10+ phones have at least 8GB of RAM, regardless of which carrier or unlocked model you get. Samsung's website gets nearly everything wrong, but a Samsung rep informed us that it will be getting corrected. That said, we're still not sure why some display models are showing 6GB of RAM. The only S10/S10+ model that doesn't have 8GB of RAM is the 1TB S10+ model, which has 12GB of RAM (again, regardless of carrier/unlocked model).

Status
Not open for further replies.