• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't wait 20 to 30 minutes for a 12 minute ride? Yeah. Theme parks aren't for you. That's one of the best wait to ride ratios you'll find in a popular park.

My bad... I'm going off the op where its comparing the typical wait times compared to what they're seeing now. I can see how average wait times being around 30 wouldn't be terrible.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Blackout dates, cost, and an incomplete land mixed with a good chunk of people delaying going over fear of large crowds and this is what you get.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people are finally figuring out that it's not fun to pay hundreds of dollars to go stand in a line in the heat for 3+ hours for a 70 second payoff.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't it. The park was pretty much packed even in the off-season up until Star Wars.

It's been bad in the runup to this thing, probably because a lot of people are thinking that they'd better take the kids for one last hurrah before they stay away for the better part of a year. I know families who have had passes for years who didn't renew this round because they figured they wouldn't use them this year at all. Many such cases!

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
On the day of Chinese New Year, i was in Singapore and went to Universal because apparently an all day fast pass was "only" 110 or so, but because it was Chinese New year, they jacked the prices up out of my range (i only brought a little more than I was expecting to spend).

That was when i knew...I'll probably never go to a big-time amusement park like universal or Disney. Six Flags will be all i will ever do in the future, and even then, I'll feel super guilty about how expensive it is.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's really lame they couldn't get Rise of the Resistance operating on opening day considering that's like, the main attraction.

It'd be like Universal opened The Wizarding World of Harry Potter without Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
lol so everyone was waiting to psyche each other out
Induced demand is a very real thing. Something similar to it is probably happening here and altering behavior.

Same thing happened with Carmageddon in LA. Officials telegraphed those often and far and wide. Everyone stayed off the road as a result in those weekends.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
The videos make it all look like one giant SW themed gift shop/tourist trap. I was bummed by that revelation.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm closer to Disney World than Disney Land so there's a good chance I'll go to Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios in the next year but that's due to having friends who work there and said they can hook me up with their cast member passes. Disney World is going to be the true test in how excited people are for it, and if Pandora at AK, which still has awful wait times, is any indication than WDW is going to wish they brought the reservation system from DL.

Although I am going to try and plan a day visit at DL in August 2020. I got a 4-day pass to Star Wars Celebration 2020 in Anaheim and might spend that Saturday at the park or participate in Galactic Nights if they plan on doing that again.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Do you think Disney will ever implement a Universal Studios like Express Pass? That shit is worth its weight in Gold.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
The fact that one of the two main attractions isn't even open is the reason I haven't bothered booking a Disney World trip for this upcoming year yet.

Same. I am planning on going to Disney World this February when my teacher friends are off and planning to go, but I don't think the hotel will be open by then which sucks. I would be waiting till later if many other friends weren't going.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney edged out a lot of people by hiking up annual passholder prices, and everything lower than signature is blocked out from Disneyland for the rest of the summer. Plus, yeah everyone was afraid of the crowds

Late August/early September is gonna see an insane boost in numbers as the passholders come back. Their crowd management measures worked too well

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just went and the land was open the whole time, no need for boarding passes. Not even a need to line up 1st thing in the morning. It is defintely a cool looking area even if it doesnt take long to do everything I just liked walking around.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking summer 2020, but now I'm leaning summer 2021 at this point for seeing it at Disneyworld.

I was also thinking about staying at the new Star Wars hotel, but from reports it is going to be so small that getting a room will be a feat in itself.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the plan all along. The land will get the best publicity if it isn't crowded, it allows them to ramp up operations and iron out the kinks, and it helps make the construction at the new Puxar parking structure less cumbersome. It will get overwhelmingly busy by August/September and that's when the lull of the opening months will pay off. It does kind of suck for people who specifically avoided going during this period due to the threat of crowds though

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
When I was LA for E3 I found out that you needed a reservation and or staying at a Disney resort so I didn't even bother to go to Disney. I'll check it out eventually.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I went just a few weeks ago and got to visit Galaxy's Edge, and it was....fine. The experience of walking around the areas was more impressive than any of the actual activities, and the ride wasn't really anything special for myself (though my younger cousins loved it). I'd be interested to see what else they have in store with a second ride, otherwise there's not a lot there that I would consider essential for a theme park visit.

The hot dog thing WAS very yummy though. I'd eat that again, for sure.

Oct 25, 2017

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Let's see if they ever do the early opening for hotel people and reservations again. Disney world still gonna be a shit show on Labor Day

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disney: Lets block our two most popular annual passholder groups from entering Disneyland for 6 weeks during the summer this year.

Also Disney: Lets delay opening one of the key rides in our big expansion area.

*summer attendance plummits*

Disney: shockedpikachu.jpg

No, they opened the rest of the land earlier than originally planned.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I been a star wars fan for 4 months, I expected better

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of these places. Theme parks are the only line of business where they don't try to improve wait times and force arbitrary lines for people to wait in. In a world where efficiency is dominant, why the fuck are we still waiting in 30 min and 1 hour lines?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me but it seems like the buzz for Galaxy's Edge isn't really the big. I mean it seems like a good area and all but it doesn't look like it's getting the same reaction that places like Harry Potter or Pandora got.

Only having one (ok) ride open probably doesn't help along with everything being really expensive making seem like one big gift shop. Also Blue Milk apparently being not that good (and thus not becoming a phenomenon like butterbeer was) sucks.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're moving from LA and I decided to wait a few years rather than try and go now. I assumed it'd be a miserable madhouse with 2+ hour waits for the attractions. I'd rather wait until my kid is old enough to enjoy it and the crowds dissipated.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
No one I know even cares about SW. Sure the cost of the park all that stuff is maybe relevant(I have no idea how well the park is doing overall or how well other attractions have done on launch) but I think it's just that the SW franchise itself has gone to shit with a trilogy and spin off movies that for the most part have been pretty bad. They have been so bad that imo they have even hurt the excitement for the originals.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of these places. Theme parks are the only line of business where they don't try to improve wait times and force arbitrary lines for people to wait in. In a world where efficiency is dominant, why the fuck are we still waiting in 30 min and 1 hour lines?

It's way, way, way, way better than it was in the 90s when I was a kid. And with more poeple. Back then, every line was more than a half hour, with rides like Indiana Jones or Space Mountain regularly being over an hour. I remember waiting over two hours for the horrible Roger Rabbit ride back then. As it stands now, even at peak times, lines are very rarely even close to that long outside of Fantasy Land where it's a pure capacity issue. Say what you will about Disney's handling of the park, but they have gotten the actual ride waits down.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the second attraction just going to be another screen based ride?
No Rise of the Resistance looks to be the most complex ride ever made, a real generational leap forward. Multiple ride vehicles, giant sets, and approximately 40 minute run time from the first pre show to the end
People have to go somewhere. Either you put them in a line (easy and cheap), let them wander with a virtual queue system (doable but operationally complex and requires lots more space for them to roam) or build additional ride systems (super expensive). The only other way is to cut capacity for the park which isn't feasible since theme parks benefit greatly from economies of scale and the market wouldn't accept the much higher prices necessary to offset the decreased attendance numbers

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one I know even cares about SW. Sure the cost of the park all that stuff is maybe relevant(I have no idea how well the park is doing overall or how well other attractions have done on launch) but I think it's just that the SW franchise itself has gone to shit with a trilogy and spin off movies that for the most part have been pretty bad. They have been so bad that imo they have even hurt the excitement for the originals.
This is complete and utter nonsense. TFA and TLJ are extremely successful and massively popular films amongst actual general public.

The type of people who are angry and bitter are white dudes who can't handle the fact it has women leads and embraces progressive social views. Not the actual GA.

The people who think Star Wars has "gone to shit" tend to look like this:
kty52qanoh831.jpg

Last edited:

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
The fact that one of the two main attractions isn't even open is the reason I haven't bothered booking a Disney World trip for this upcoming year yet.
This is 100% the reason, associated with the outrageous cost of going to the park.
People are going to want to just pay once and see everything, rather than have to pay twice to go back.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
All valid reasons but I'd like to think it's people being smart with their money and time -- we have annual passes here and when we go to Animal Kingdom, never fail to run into a group that has dropped a significant amount of cash for vacation pondering whether or not it's worth the 3-5 hour wait (STILL) for the Pandora banshee ride.

Fast passes work great, but it's over a year later and you still never see passes for that ride pop up. Anecdotally, if Disneyland is anything like Disneyworld...I'd imagine attendance overall has increased significantly over the past 3-4 years. Spaceship Earth and the Viking ride (before the Frozen makeover) were practically dead for a decade prior to that -- you could walk on whenever you wanted and never wait more than 5 minutes. I can't think of a single ride at any of the parks where that applies these days -- possibly Figment?

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I'm mostly waiting for Rise of the Resistance too. Plus, I went to Disneyland last spring, so I'll probably head to Disney World this time around. I just wish Florida weather was as nice as California's.