• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All valid reasons but I'd like to think it's people being smart with their money and time -- we have annual passes here and when we go to Animal Kingdom, never fail to run into a group that has dropped a significant amount of cash for vacation pondering whether or not it's worth the 3-5 hour wait (STILL) for the Pandora banshee ride.

Fast passes work great, but it's over a year later and you still never see passes for that ride pop up. Anecdotally, if Disneyland is anything like Disneyworld...I'd imagine attendance overall has increased significantly over the past 3-4 years. Spaceship Earth and the Viking ride (before the Frozen makeover) were practically dead for a decade prior to that -- you could walk on whenever you wanted and never wait more than 5 minutes. I can't think of a single ride at any of the parks where that applies these days -- possibly Figment?

Figment was about a 30-45 minute wait when I was there last summer. I honestly can't think of anything that took less than a half hour. Maybe Buzz Lightyear had we not wasted a fast pass on it (my dad wanted to make sure we got on it)?

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
This is complete and utter nonsense. TFA and TLJ are extremely successful and massively popular films amongst actual real people.

The only type of people who are angry and bitter are white dudes who can't handle the fact it has women leads and embraces progressive social views. Not the actual GA.

In my small bubble the same happened to me and my friends/family as the guy you quoted. The excitement died down pretty quick after the last few SW movies that to the point where no one talks about SW anymore. I think they just released too many, too quickly. Just my anecdotes though so not reflective of everyone of course.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Figment was about a 30-45 minute wait when I was there last summer. I honestly can't think of anything that took less than a half hour. Maybe Buzz Lightyear had we not wasted a fast pass on it (my dad wanted to make sure we got on it)?

Wow...that is nuts, but I'm not completely surprised. Buzz is another one of those that runs hot and cold...sometimes it's 10-15 minutes, sometimes it's over an hour. I really like that one, actually. Even at 44, I still make sure to get my badge every time I max out the scoreboard. My girls looooooove that. :p

Oct 27, 2017
This is complete and utter nonsense. TFA and TLJ are extremely successful and massively popular films amongst actual general public.

The type of people who are angry and bitter are white dudes who can't handle the fact it has women leads and embraces progressive social views. Not the actual GA.

The people who think Star Wars has "gone to shit" tend to look like this:
kty52qanoh831.jpg
You're still going at it, huh?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my small bubble the same happened to me and my friends/family as the guy you quoted. The excitement died down pretty quick after the last few SW movies that to the point where no one talks about SW anymore. Just my anecdotes though so not reflective of everyone of course.
This does not seem reflective of the actual public seeing how the teaser views for TROS outdid TFA and TLJ.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew as soon as they announced it that I wasn't going to visit it for the first 1-2 years it was open to avoid crowds. I bet a lot of other people felt the same way.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
No smoking, no way.

I'm not going in and out through security every time i want a smoke

I feel for you. That said, I'm so damn happy smoking is banned at the parks. It was a long time coming.

Yup, Fast pass is glorius though, Standing in long lines just suck. But if Star Wars doesn't have a huge line? No need wasting precious FP spots.

1. Star Wars WILL have a huge line.
2. It will be a FP app unicorn...you'll likely not see it over the next year or two.

But I agree 100% on the glories of FastPass! My best friend knows the guy who created the system for Disney. I'm supposed to meet up with him one day in the near future.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movies still make money like any big budget blockbuster can but the intense fandom is greatly diminished.
The why did the Celebration 2020 tickets sell out fast than any year so far?

The same people who claim Star Wars fandom is dying also like to say fans don't like Rose but she was the only actor to get a standing ovation of all the SW actors at this years celebration....🤔

Nov 11, 2017
Disneyland itself is quiet as well, so it obviously has nothing to do with whether or not people are excited about Star Wars and everything to do with what Disney did to control crowds in anticipation of the opening.

Side note- my wife works for Lucasfilm. Solo was the huge wake up call that they were over-saturating the market, not TFA or TLJ troll reactions.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're a passport holder, you can't just change your plans on going to Disneyland on the fly. If you're not a resident and have to stay and eat at or around the park you're looking at spending at least a thousand dollars every day you are there, more depending on your family size.
Most families plan out their vacations Months in advance to try and coincide with breaks for school etc. We had already determined back in November that we would not be going till 2020 to avoid the Star Wars Rush.
True but people make plans for vacations months in advance.
I guess it just depends on the people. How many of them can just get up and head to a Disney park after seeing the lines aren't really that bad? Plus a lot of them do have trips planned but for later when they think times won't be bad.

Didn't think of it like this. I guess it isn't exactly a small trip that you can be nimble with.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, i live in socal and my family was planning on stay far away because of the crowd and wait for the 2nd ride.

the second it drops, getting annual passes.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disneyland itself is quiet as well, so it obviously has nothing to do with whether or not people are excited about Star Wars and everything to do with what Disney did to control crowds in anticipation of the opening.

Side note- my wife works for Lucasfilm. Solo was the huge wake up call that they were over-saturating the market, not TFA or TLJ troll reactions.
Tangent, but Solo is such a weird film in that I think it's actually pretty damn good... but it was not a film anyone was screaming for or demanding, and the fact that it came out AFTER Han's final fate made telling his prequel story a bit odd.

I think if Solo had come out as a lead-in to TFA, it would been MUCH better received. Just... an odd film for even existing when it did.

Last edited:

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL

Your wife has a kickass gig. Also, this thread has enough tangents, BUT -- Solo is a very good SW film that had some bad word of mouth, weak marketing, and poor launch window. I quite liked it and would like to see more like it. This concludes my talk. Thank you for coming.

Tangent, but Solo is such a weird film in that I think it's actually pretty damn good... but it was not a film anyone was screaming for or demanding, and the fact that it came out AFTER Han's final fate made telling his prequel story a bit odd.

I think if Solo had come out as a lead-in to TFA, it would been MUCH better received. Just... and odd film for even existing when it did.

MY MAN!!!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I figured it would be crowded so I've been avoiding Disneyland like crazy despite wanting to go later on in the year. I usually try to avoid going during the summer anyways because of the amount of tourists and summer vacation kids floating around.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
The Last Jedi effects are now reaching Disneyland itself.

It's because the parks are too expensive. Far fewer people can afford the trip in 2019 than at the turn of the century.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Poor Disney, what will they ever do.

We should do more to get the word out that this franchise needs more attention.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope this is true for the Disney World version too. I don't want to deal with massive crowds when it opens. Although I'd bet money it is going to be insanely busy at DW. There are still three hour waits for Avatar. Ugh.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
They have one ride. The rest is an elaborate and extremely expensive gift shop. Also, hour-long lines for your one fucking ride is still ridiculous. Don't tell me this shit ain't crowded.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's a star wars themed shopping mall with a couple restaurants and exactly one ride

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They have one ride. The rest is an elaborate and extremely expensive gift shop. Also, hour-long lines for your one fucking ride is still ridiculous. Don't tell me this shit ain't crowded.

The average wait time for the ride is 30 mins. As for the "elaborate gift shop" part, how is that any different from the rest of the park?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
One of my friends works in disneyland. She was telling me all blocks have been removed from their calendar for days they can sign people in. One of her managers also encouraged her to sign in as many people as they are allowed daily

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
We all know it's because us poor folks are waiting for Rise of Resistance before going. Too expensive to go twice a year.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah I went last Thursday and Galaxy's Edge as well as the two parks overall (Disneyland and California Adventure) had lighter crowds than I anticipated. I never thought I'd get to see it but we walked right in and the wait for the Falcon wasn't terrible, espeically in the single rider line (1/2 hour tops). Also didn't have any trouble booking reservations at Oga's. If you really want to see it, don't let the (at least weekday) crowds scare you.

Did a long post of my impressions of Galaxy's Edge in the other thread here if anyone is interested. Long story short: unless you have other things you want to do at Disneyland maybe skip GE until Rise opens up. I definitely don't think it alone is worth the $150 to get into the park.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
How many rides do they even have in Galaxy's Edge? Is it just the Millennium Falcon? I saw a video of it and it just looks okay. Do they have any others there? Maybe that's part of the problem. Then again, I've never been to Disney Land/World so I'm not sure how many rides are typically in each section of the park.

Oct 25, 2017
People blaming ticket prices aren't right, despite Disney constantly raising prices and overcharging attendance at all the Disney World parks expect Hollywood Studios maybe(also Florida parks in general ) continue to increase every year.

so I wouldn't expect California to be much different.
This is definitely a case of
1. People waiting for the full experience
2. People not liking the reservation mess
3. People avoiding the anticipated madness

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This new land has ONE ride

$200 to build a light saber - which looks cheap and is a light show with Yodas voice.

$100 to build your own $30.00 droid.

$8 for "blue milk" that apparently tastes like crap

$12 for a "hot dog wrap" themed to Star Wars

What did they expect?????

If all true, they deserve to fail.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My roommate was just at Disneyland and she was surprised how little people there was compared to other times she's gone. My coworker is at Disney World and she said the same thing. Gotta blame those prices.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
People blaming ticket prices aren't right, despite Disney constantly raising prices and overcharging attendance at all the Disney World parks expect Hollywood Studios maybe(also Florida parks in general ) continue to increase every year.

so I wouldn't expect California to be much different.
This is definitely a case of
1. People waiting for the full experience
2. People not liking the reservation mess
3. People avoiding the anticipated madness

As a middle-class father with multiple children, I will vehemently argue that Disney is pricing out similar types of family.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, friends in the media who have been a lot have said that the rest of the park is lighter than usual because most people want to avoid it until the novelty goes down because of the fear of crowds. It's making me think about going sooner than planned actually.

I wanted to wait until October or something, but seeing low crowds at he rest of the park is making me reconsider. Most of the people I know also were waiting until later to visit because Of the fear of crowds.

Although, a friend of mine who has an annual pass for Universal Studios Hollywood also has been seeing lower than usual crowds there. He made practically no wait at rides, not even the Harry Potter ones.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
that new flex pass seems pretty cool though, yeah you can only get 2 days in a 30 day period for "peak days" but that just means a 2 day trip in the summer and making use of weekends in the rest of the year. not bad for 599.