• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy's Edge is a rush job without Rise of the Resistance. I personally have no interest in going if it means missing the main attraction. Combine that with the fear of summer crowds and the prices, and yeah, I can understand why it's not filled.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
While there are plenty of theories about people holding off for fear of crowds but could it simply be that the level of interest just isn't there?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
FYI for AP holders until the end of August, you can bring 3 people with you at a time for a $99 one day park hopper ticket. I'm doing that with my friend soon ( he's the AP holder). That value is more than worth it imo.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new land has ONE ride

$200 to build a light saber - which looks cheap and is a light show with Yodas voice.

$100 to build your own $30.00 droid.

$8 for "blue milk" that apparently tastes like crap

$12 for a "hot dog wrap" themed to Star Wars

What did they expect?????

Two hundred dollars for a lightsaber? That's kinda silly - and by kinda I mean "what the heck are they thinking with that price tag?"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, crows are pretty scary.
Dusneyland crows never hurt nobody
DmdcISeV4AAs5Z2.jpg

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While there are plenty of theories about people holding off for fear of crowds but could it simply be that the level of interest just isn't there?
So what about the rest of the park being quiet?

Two hundred dollars for a lightsaber? That's kinda silly - and by kinda I mean "what the heck are they thinking with that price tag?"
It's not some plastic saber you get at Walmart or elsewhere in the park. It's made of metal with lighting and sound. Throw in the kyber crystal, pin that represents the saber you got, and the carrying bad and it's actually a great deal.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, you have to make a reservation too, and if you cancel or fail to show, they'll still charge you the 200.

Can you even get more predatory? Of course little kids (and a lot of big kids) are going to want to build their own lightsaber and your idea is to charge $200 and require reservations?

I bet there's a way to get one without a reservation too, like on the day, but there's a fee involved or something.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Can't speak to all of the parks, but people at Epcot would regularly not adhere to the designated areas. Around the World Showcase in particular sucked.
So by taking away the small smoking ares, that will make the people follow rules who previously didn't?

If anything, I think there will be more smoking/vaping in the park because of it. More people will probably just say 'fuck it' and just try to smoke while walking around or something.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you even get more predatory? Of course little kids (and a lot of big kids) are going to want to build their own lightsaber and your idea is to charge $200 and require reservations?

I bet there's a way to get one without a reservation too, like on the day, but there's a fee involved or something.
Nah you make the reservation when you pay and you're there. You pick your set, pay, they give you a pin and a pass card, and tell you to come back at whatever time. Depending on crowds and your party size this can be anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours from your reservation

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you want an affordable custom saber at the parks then here:
8190356954_8ac4fcc23f_z.jpg

But the dip in quality is extremely noticeable

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting to see if WDW offers any discounts. There is so much resort availability from late August through mid November, it's ridiculous.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with the SoCal pass is blocked out this entire month and most of August from both parks. It's dumb and reducing returns for them. They should open up a few weekdays for pass holders and they'll be packed.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an affordable custom saber at the parks then here:
8190356954_8ac4fcc23f_z.jpg

But the dip in quality is extremely noticeable
Yeah, these are plastic with fold out blades

The $200 ones are metal with the FX blades and interchangeable Crystal's stored in the hilt that change the color and sound effects. Plus you get a pin, a carrying bag, and the whole building experience. The extra stuff is what bumps the price up. The hilt on it's own would only be a little over $100 based on the legacy saber prices, but kyber crystals are $15, the blades are $50 I think, most pins hover around $15, and you get the bag.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with the SoCal pass is blocked out this entire month and most of August from both parks. It's dumb and reducing returns for them. They should open up a few weekdays for pass holders and they'll be packed.
SoCal is blocked entirely. Deluxe is only blocked from Disneyland, not DCA

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Count me among the people who deliberately avoided going to Disneyland this summer to avoid Star Wars crowds.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a couple vlogs and there just didn't seem to be many actual attractions. It was like paying to pay for stuff and see a bunch of stores and merchandise booths. Plus it seemed like they had all the new series characters walking around rather than the more popular original series ones.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Passport blackout dates end in September and the new ride opens up around that time. If you want to go, the next couple months would be the best time.

The new ride opens in september? Do you have a source to confirm this. My group is going end of september. so that would make me VERY happy that I'm not missing anything.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The new ride opens in september? Do you have a source to confirm this. My group is going end of september. so that would make me VERY happy that I'm not missing anything.
I think we'll get an exact date at D23 in August but if I had to guess I'd say Fall as well

Oct 25, 2017
The Cars Land opening scarred me, as I'm sure did many other park goers. 4 hour wait lines, months to a year after opening was insanity. No thanks.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get an exact date at D23 in August but if I had to guess I'd say Fall as well
I think Fall is hopeful. My guess would be December at the earliest. The amount of troubleshooting the ride is going to require is enormous. 4 unique ride systems is a breakdown logistical nightmare.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Fall is hopeful. My guess would be December at the earliest. The amount of troubleshooting the ride is going to require is enormous. 4 unique ride systems is a breakdown logistical nightmare.

From what I've heard about the ride, I wouldn't be surprised if it easily surpasses the Indiana Jones ride in terms of constant breakdowns.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a big reason. They are getting greedy again. Increasing ticket prices, removing deals and discounts, charging for parking if you drove to stay at a resort, rumors of a paid fast pass system, et cetera.

They charge you $10 a day to use the FastPass app on your phone unless you have the highest-tier passport.

Using the FP machines is free, for now...

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a no fun allowed post, but it blows my mind how people still go to Disneyland given how expensive it is, and how much waiting involves. And worse, the existence of Fast Pass is just downright insulting.

/rant

I went to World this year, and while I sunk a shit ton of money, the experiences I had with my fiancee and children is second to none when it comes to theme parks. Wait times were varied, but for most things we waited no more than 30 minutes, with about 3 or 4 exceptions in excess of 45 minutes to an hour and a half. We visited all 4 parks over 4 days.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We'll be at WDW when it opens there, worried that the reported low crowds at DL will entice more people to brave it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can just buy one of the ones from the movies in the same quality with the same blades, yes. But not the custom ones.

If you do even a tiny bit of googling you'll see the quality of these things is super high, and the price completely in line with what you'd expect to pay for a third party blade of that quality. The Disneyland tax on those things isn't too extreme tbh. For example the Hasbro Force FX ones are like 180 bucks. These are better.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to compare it to Wizarding World, which is always packed. Here in Orlando, they just opened up Hagrid's bike ride coaster and holy shit was Hogsmeade just wall-to-wall people.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
lol we actually cancelled our day at hollywood studios in october because of the opening. I am willing to bet its more crowded at WDW than DL

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This new land has ONE ride

Which is very good.

$200 to build a light saber - which looks cheap and is a light show with Yodas voice.

Totally wrong. Doesn't look or feel cheap. They're some of the better mass market sabers I've ever seen, and the experience is fun if not transcendent.

$100 to build your own $30.00 droid.

I am not a droid fan but my friend's droid and what it could do definitely didn't seem like a $30 item.

$8 for "blue milk" that apparently tastes like crap

So much experience and informed opinion here. The blue milk tastes pretty good, the problem is that downing a cup full of coconut milk in 90 degree heat isn't a great idea.

$12 for a "hot dog wrap" themed to Star Wars

I admit I haven't bothered with the food, but the pricing on it is equivalent to everything else in the park outside the Star Wars area. You could at least have called out the alcoholic drinks with souvenir cups that clock in at $42.

What did they expect?????

They expected exactly what they got, the reservations to sell out in literal minutes. This isn't about the quality of Galaxy's Edge so much as proof that the overcrowding of the parks is mainly due to abuse of Annual Passes by locals. All but the top tier passes are blocked out until the end of the summer, which means the legions of obsessed daily attendees are removed, and then you factor in the overcrowding in the parks in recent years with what the average vacationer would think a Star Wars Land would result in this summer and you have people staying away for fear of massive crowds which simply didn't happen. By building something destined to be insanely popular, Disney accidentally psyched out the potential audience even though they handled the overcrowding element.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but a lot of stock shortage plays a big roll for some people including myself. They've been out of stock on most kyber crystals since the reservation period.

The cost of some merch is not a reason at all especially for building a lightsaber.

Park ticket price increase has played a roll.
I'm waiting on them to restock at Galaxys edge before returning.

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm gonna spend that much money to go see it I'm gonna wait until hype dies down lol

Not surprised the fear of crushing crowds is keeping people away

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
At Disney World they jacked up the annual pass prices in anticipation for Star Wars secretly at night. Also they are having passholder preview but only the top tier one is invited. Not even the 600 dollar pass lol