• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I went in late February to Disney World for the first time. We didn't realize you were able to get fast passes 30-60 days before, depending on if you were staying at a resort or not, until two weeks before our trip. We missed out on fast passes for Flights of Passage, so we decided to go to the park at opening. We did... and still waited for over two hours to get on the ride. Was totally worth it though. I'm still shook that you can feel the banshees breathing. Dat attention to detail...
The key to getting fastpasses for flight of passage is to KEEP. REFRESHING. THE. APP.

No joke! My friend and I came to Disney world for a week and and we're able to find FoP 3 times as we kept checking the and people kept canceling their fastpasses or changed to later times. It's definitely doable!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The key to getting fastpasses for flight of passage is to KEEP. REFRESHING. THE. APP.

No joke! My friend and I came to Disney world for a week and and we're able to find FoP 3 times as we kept checking the and people kept canceling their fastpasses or changed to later times. It's definitely doable!

That's how I got my Be Our Guest reservation back in the day.

You have to be ruthless.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I don't understand the appeal of these places. Theme parks are the only line of business where they don't try to improve wait times and force arbitrary lines for people to wait in. In a world where efficiency is dominant, why the fuck are we still waiting in 30 min and 1 hour lines?
Well Disney has a free fast pass system and universal and Disney have been starting to implement virtual queues where you can walk around the park while you wait so there are improvements

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Trust me homie, I tried. Didn't work for us unfortunately. Tried doing the same for the Snow White ride and failed.

I did get lucky when I went to the Magic Kingdom though. There was a broken dark ride that was out of service for like 6 hours, so we kept booking it and racked up like 8 of those complimentary all usage fast passes.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My wife keeps bugging me to decide on a date for our vacation to WDW. I told her I don't even want to book it until we know when the 2nd ride at our Galaxy's Edge is open. She works for a travel agency specializing in Disney and has heard we'll know when that is around the time Orlando GE opens up. She seems to think it's before the end of this year but I don't know.

That said, a lot of people saw how miserable WWOHP and Diagon Alley was when it opened and are probably trying to avoid that.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
All this talk about wait times has me glad Disney is great when it comes to special needs patrons. My sister, an adult with autism, is able to get unlimited fast passes (one at a time). They write down the wait - 10/15 minutes and tell you to come back then and you get right on.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This so much. You can even easily get harder to get rides if you keep trying enough. That's how I got 2 fastpasses for Mine Train.

I also did this to keep changing the times around. Like when we were driving to Disney for the 1st day, I had a FP for Splash Mountain (my wife's first Disney ride) like 2 hours later and would keep checking and getting it lower and lower to point to where got it for when we did finally enter Magic Kingdom on time.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disney is doomed!!!!

Man that definitely piques my interest to go earlier than I initially wanted to.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars appeal is really over shot by Disney, it's a big franchise with a large fandom but it's not the behemoth that Disney has tried to market it into.

SW is most certainly a behemoth.

Outside of Solo, every Disney SW film has made more than a billion dollars. Rise of Skywalker will make over a billion dollars.

It is currently the most lucrative film franchise with the exception of Marvel.

And SW merchandise is huge.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought SW merch was in a slump right now?
The entire industry is in a slump. Toy sales in general are in a bad place the last few years.

Kids just don't care about action figures anymore.

The anti-Star Wars youtube scene latched onto the Star Wars angle and repeated it enough people fell for it buts an actual industry wide problem.

Hasbro for example has the Marvel toys license and they are still failing:

No one is buying action figures anymore except for aging collectors. Marvel is on the top of the world and not even they can move action figures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of The Lord of the Rings:

'I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I, said Gandalf, and so do all who live to see such times..."

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the action figure market ever coming back, it's going the way of the dodo. Kids want tablets and smartphones.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire industry is in a slump. Toy sales in general are in a bad place the last few years.

Kids just don't care about action figures anymore.

The anti-Star Wars youtube scene latched onto the Star Wars angle and repeated it enough people fell for it buts an actual industry wide problem.

Hasbro for example has the Marvel toys license and they are still failing:

No one is buying action figures anymore except for aging collectors. Marvel is on the top of the world and not even they can move action figures.

I was looking at Transformers yesterday and I was blown away by the prices. What used to be 7 dollar figures 10 years ago were now 10, what used to be 10 are now 20, 20 are 30, 30 are 50. And they were relying so strongly on nostalgia in the choice of characters.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at Transformers yesterday and I was blown away by the prices. What used to be 7 dollar figures 10 years ago were now 10, what used to be 10 are now 20, 20 are 30, 30 are 50. And they were relying so strongly on nostalgia in the choice of characters.
Yep. Because the only people buying action figures are the aging nostalgic collectors. They aren't marketed at kids anymore.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Video games have completely replaced action figures. Why would a kid buy a spider-man action figure and play set over Spiderman the game on PS4?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This is very interesting. I really expect a different outcome at WDW due to the blackouts that they placed on a primarily local's park, Disneyland

I'm all about merch (have more Disney parks merch than any healthy person should), and I'm beyond underwhelmed by the merch they have produced for this land.

The only thing I'm interested in merch wise is the tiki mugs from Oga's Cantina.

The hype about "building" a 200 glow stick lightsaber is beyond my comprehension. Seriously this was really a thing that people were desperate for? It's like the wand shop are hogsmeade with a massive markup and no in park interactivity.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This new land has ONE ride

$200 to build a light saber - which looks cheap and is a light show with Yodas voice.

$100 to build your own $30.00 droid.

$8 for "blue milk" that apparently tastes like crap

$12 for a "hot dog wrap" themed to Star Wars

What did they expect?????
That's absurd, especially the lightsabre.

I wouldn't go out of principle.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I go to Disney once a year or so since it's not that far of a drive. We've decided to put it off this year so that people can get their fill of the new stuff. Waiting in lines is fine, but there's not a thing in that park worth waiting over an hour for.

Dec 13, 2018
When we go to wdw we always try to stay for a week, everyday goes the same way:

Visit the park early and rides until 10-11, by then the parks are stupid busy so we slow things down and watch the shows or parades until an early lunch. Then we dodge the heat and go back to the hotel to go to the pool, head back to the park for dinner and ride rides again until the late shows. Longest we wait is 30 minutes for a ride, mostly way less or fastpass

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think part of it is that people are finally tired of the crazy inflated price/cost of going to a theme-park.
not to mention if you're there for 8 hours you're stuck in a line for 6 of those hours, eating and walking to the next ride for another 90 minutes, and you get about 30-60 minutes of actual rides and experiences for the whole day. You're so much better off just going to the beach.

For me the epilogue trilogy has strongly diminished my enthusiasm for Star Wars too. The draw of sitting in a Millenium Falcon replica isn't nearly as strong as it once was.

source.gif

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The whole logistical effort of planning for and then going on a Disney vacation for a family sounds like one of the most miserable fucking experiences imaginable.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles

Now these are unofficial, but the people who make these do put a lot of time and effort into them and are relatively the same price (or more) as the custom saber experience. Hence why $200 is not that bad a deal for making your own lightsaber. In fact, a better deal is to go for the legacy sabers at Doc Undar's that are almost half the price. I just wish they'd give you more variety in your hilt instead of just a theme.

Jul 5, 2019
I'm pretty hyped to eventually go to Galaxy's Edge, but in retrospect this felt so inevitable. Only one of the two rides opening at the grand opening, which seems to be the weaker one? Raising prices to ridiculous degrees? Making huge deals out of crowds and scaring people away? Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen the land looks incredibly well-made (although I've avoided watching any Smuggler's Run footage yet so I can't judge it), but I think so much about the land's launch was poorly thought out.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
not to mention if you're there for 8 hours you're stuck in a line for 6 of those hours, eating and walking to the next ride for another 90 minutes, and you get about 30-60 minutes of actual rides and experiences for the whole day. You're so much better off just going to the beach.

For me the epilogue trilogy has strongly diminished my enthusiasm for Star Wars too. The draw of sitting in a Millenium Falcon replica isn't nearly as strong as it once was.

source.gif
Yep. Tough shit Disney.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that the epilogue trilogy is cited by some as diminishing enthusiasm for Star Wars when the prequels were far bigger pieces of shit, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I've been studying this and my belief is Disney thought they could block nearly every pass and CM out of the park and those blocked out would want to go so much each would buy day tickets. Combine this with not keeping expectations of crowds in check and hyping them up (so locals and tourists stay away) Disney now has record weak summer for them. It's VERY bad, my friends have said the first stage of cut backs to hours and entertainment in the parks starts this coming week with schedules. I believe there is also a touch of Star Wars fatigue taking place, not from a "TLJ sucked" but "ugh so much", that is dampening excitement.

The next two times to watch for are the middle of August when the first batch of APs are unblocked and then early September when all APs are unblocked. Will we see crowds return to normal? Will they swell up? I'm betting we see seasonably normal crowds with no huge increase in attendance this fall and winter.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of these places. Theme parks are the only line of business where they don't try to improve wait times and force arbitrary lines for people to wait in. In a world where efficiency is dominant, why the fuck are we still waiting in 30 min and 1 hour lines?
You havent been to many real theme parks right?
While disneyland is abusing with their prices, free fast pass still exist (cant say the same from any other theme park). And then theres theme parks with magnificent customer service and efficient work force that try to make queues as fast as possible (efteling, europa park, phantasialand...). Good theme parks usually also try to make queues as entertaining as possible.
At the end of the day you should actually inform yourself and try to not go to theme parks when they are expecting max attendance (if the theme park is good, they usually have this info on their website).
Also crowds are not only a theme park thing. Try to go to a tourist city on high season, if you are not going prepared your are going to eat queues at museums, restaurants... or just be in the middle of an overcrowded place).

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I love that the epilogue trilogy is cited by some as diminishing enthusiasm for Star Wars when the prequels were far bigger pieces of shit, lol.
Yeah, no kidding. I like the epilogues just fine, but even if you don't like them, thinking they're anywhere near as bad as the unwatchable prequels is straight up lunacy!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure this mostly has to do with the Annual Pass blackout and out-of-towners being afraid of immense crowds.

With that said though, I am trying to stay positive about Galaxy's Edge and am planning on visiting it in September......but from what I've read it really does sound half-baked. It's one ride and a bunch of gift shops. Why are there no shows or interesting experiences? Why aren't there crazy aliens and smugglers roaming the area? Why does the cantina have a DJ? Shouldn't it have a band (either live or animatronic)? There is like one "free" activity in the area, and everything else involves you buying either merch or food/drink. It's cool that they built a full-sized replica of the Millennium Falcon and Kylo's ship......but that's like a 1-minute photo op at best.

I think that Disney will ultimately regret theming this around the sequel trilogy since it just prevents them from using any of the most beloved characters, and it prevents them from using Jedi.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 'blade' part isn't? I watched some vids and when it's turned off it still looks like there's a plastic tube on there. For $200 they should figure out some way to do a real light beam
Thought you were referring to the hilt. Don't know how you do an actual beam especially for $200 even if it were possible.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's one ride and a bunch of gift shops. Why are there no shows or interesting experiences? Why aren't there crazy aliens and smugglers roaming the area? Why does the cantina have a DJ? Shouldn't it have a band (either live or animatronic)? There is like one "free" activity in the area, and everything else involves you buying either merch or food/drink. It's cool that they built a full-sized replica of the Millennium Falcon and Kylo's ship......but that's like a 1-minute photo op at best.

All the cast members are dressed and play the part as residents of Batuu. You can't have cast members in costumes as aliens for health and safety reasons/constantly switching out and the makeup would just sweat right off in the California/Florida sun.

Shows wise there's nothing to stand in line for but occasionally you have a small bit at Kylo's ship and Chewie & Vi fighting Stormtroopers. Rey and Vi also have "missions" for guests (mostly kids) around the park. Chewie, Stormtroopers, and Kylo also walk around and interact with guests which is something that you don't see other characters do at the parks.

I don't see what the difference between an animatronic DJ and animatronic band would be. Rex is a great easter egg for fans of Star Tours.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the cast members are dressed and play the part as residents of Batuu. You can't have cast members in costumes as aliens for health and safety reasons/constantly switching out and the makeup would just sweat right off in the California/Florida sun.
If they can have someone wandering around in a Chewbacca or Kylo costume, I don't see what makes it so unsafe to have some Twi'Leks, Rodians, Trandoshans, etc.

Some part of the problem is that even the human employees are dressed bland-as-fuck, wearing the tiresome Tattooine peasant rags+robes combo or a sort of generic Rebel/Resistance outfit. Go look at the movies and how crazy and kooky all the extras look. The cast members in Galaxy's Edge look like they are wearing a uniform, whereas the background characters in Star Wars all often have a pretty crazy/unique look. Take a look at the scenes in Maz's Palace or the Coruscant Night Club (EP2) and you'll see tons of great outfits that don't require excessive makeup or prosthetics. Nothing about the cast members feels very alien or exotic at all, and that seems like a pretty significant problem.

I don't see what the difference between an animatronic DJ and animatronic band would be. Rex is a great easter egg for fans of Star Tours.
The films have long-standing tradition of exotic music perfomed live by strange aliens (Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace). The films have no tradition of robot DJs who play pre-recorded tracks. Having an animatronic band that performs a brief show every 30-60 minutes (Chuck E. Cheese style) would be an exciting and interesting experience. Imagineers get to flew their muscles on creature design, scripting, and animatronics. Just re-cycling a robot from a ride that's 20 years old seems outright lazy by comparison. You could still have Rex play music in between the band's sets anyway.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017

source.gif
I mean with Disneylands fastpass system I feel like Im hardly waiting in lines. Get fastpasses for big rides and hop in smaller stuff with 10 to 15 min waits while you wait on ur fastpass time. I just went and the longeat wait I had was 30 mins for Smugglers because there isnt a fastpass. The wait seemed to sit around 30-45 mins which isnt bad for a new ride.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Tough shit Disney.
Yeah, I am sure Disney is losing sleep the dudes who can't handle Luke not being Goku or who get all worked up that Rey is "too powerful". The fandom is better off without anyone like that.

Disney lost this guy. What a huge loss, whatever will they do:
D-z8miSUcAUQs8C.jpg

Last edited:

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My wife keeps bugging me to decide on a date for our vacation to WDW. I told her I don't even want to book it until we know when the 2nd ride at our Galaxy's Edge is open. She works for a travel agency specializing in Disney and has heard we'll know when that is around the time Orlando GE opens up. She seems to think it's before the end of this year but I don't know.

That said, a lot of people saw how miserable WWOHP and Diagon Alley was when it opened and are probably trying to avoid that.

Guess it's time to let her book.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's time to let her book.

Man, this is such a bummer. I'll be in Disneyland in December and I was really hoping this would open before that based on some of the rumors that have come out. At least the crowds in Galaxy's Edge will probably be small since I doubt people are going to be rushing there 4-6 weeks before the signature attraction opens...

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

source.gif

I'm in EU so keep in mind it might be very very different from the experience in the US (I've never been to any park there, still very much dreaming to go) but last time I went to Portaventura (last year in october) I managed to cram in 23 / 24 rides + lunch that actually had a show, from 10pm to 7pm

Any time I go to Disneyland its always a bare minimum 14 rides in a day. It really is crazy that some of the waiting lines in the US are 3 fucking hours lol

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Disney will ultimately regret theming this around the sequel trilogy since it just prevents them from using any of the most beloved characters, and it prevents them from using Jedi.

This is why I have zero excitement for the land. The current Tomorrow Land has a better sci-fi aesthetic. When I think of what I'd want to walk around in in a Star Wars land, I don't think of a run-down Jerry rigged Resistance (not even Rebel) base in a canyon. I think high tech, Coruscant, Star Destroyer bridge/hangar, Cloud City, Jedi Temples, Echo Base, Jabba's Palace, etc. I get that "low tech, run down headquarters" is a thing in Star Wars, but it doesn't excite me. Especially when its the low tech, run down headquarters of a faction that I don't even understand.

I expect someone to school me and tell me that there are swaths of the land that are exactly what I've described as what I would want, but Disney hasn't been marketing those parts (to me at least).

Last edited: