• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I suspect a Switch port may come out either this fall or next year.

If there is a Switch version, I hope they don't launch it on a very busy time again.
Cuphead did great on Switch by releasing in April (2019 best selling digital Switch game in NA). On the other hand, Ori came in October surrounded by big games. This gem deserves more.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there is a Switch version, I hope they don't launch it on a very busy time again.
Cuphead did great on Switch by releasing in April (2019 best selling digital Switch game in NA). On the other hand, Ori came in October surrounded by big games. This gem deserves more.
It's lreally not going to matter to MS as the potential Switch port will be bonus money to the overall revenue of Xbox.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Any plans for a Switch version?
Somebody in an earlier thread alluded to the rendering pipeline being completely re-done for this release to which Thomas Mahler mentioned that it was a total paradigm shift. I guess that means not to expect it on the current version of the Switch. Maybe the rumored Pro revision. Of course, this will still run on the OG XB1 so I'm not sure why it couldn't run on the current Switch model. Maybe an API issue.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody in an earlier thread alluded to the rendering pipeline being completely re-done for this release to which Thomas Mahler mentioned that it was a total paradigm shift. I guess that means not to expect it on the current version of the Switch. Maybe the rumored Pro revision. Of course, this will still run on the OG XB1 so I'm not sure why it couldn't run on the current Switch model. Maybe an API issue.

The game has gotten a significant requirements bump with Will of the Wisps with a big part (I imagine) coming from the changeover to real time 3D instead of pre rendered sprites for characters. Also worth noting is Moon Studios' pledge to only release 60fps+ titles, might make a Switch port a bit dicey.

Blind Forest:
8TAunEj.png

Will of the Wisps:
trkewNU.png

But who knows, this generation has had a pretty long history of surprising releases.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I would expect this to release on Switch 2 in a few years, not the current platform.

Remember that Blind Forest was originally a cross-gen game, although the 360 version was eventually canceled.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I finished Ori the other day via Game Pass for PC and an exceptional game. Surprised at how hard it was at times.. hopefully if there are escape sections again they have a checkpoint! Thrilled this will be available on PC as well day 1.. definitely gonna play this asap upon release.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
The game has gotten a significant requirements bump with Will of the Wisps with a big part (I imagine) coming from the changeover to real time 3D instead of pre rendered sprites for characters. Also worth noting is Moon Studios' pledge to only release 60fps+ titles, might make a Switch port a bit dicey.

Blind Forest:
8TAunEj.png

Will of the Wisps:
trkewNU.png

But who knows, this generation has had a pretty long history of surprising releases.
Oh wow... I had no idea they had moved to real time 3D. I guess that's why they had to revamp it. It'll be interesting to see how well it runs on the OG XB1. Maybe at a lower resolution than the previous one. Not sure how they'll hit 60fps otherwise.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Ori the other day via Game Pass for PC and an exceptional game. Surprised at how hard it was at times.. hopefully if there are escape sections again they have a checkpoint! Thrilled this will be available on PC as well day 1.. definitely gonna play this asap upon release.
Yeah... THIS was my only complaint. The escape sequences could get crazy frustrating.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... THIS was my only complaint. The escape sequences could get crazy frustrating.

They did end up adding checkpoints to those sequences with the easy mode in the Definitive Edition. That may be the case in the sequel as well, but the main pitch for those difficult sections is how you'll be able to make significant changes to how Ori plays. Say you hit a wall in area Y, you can leave and explore area B and maybe find something like a triple jump or powerful melee weapon that you can then take back into the roadblock and overcome it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did end up adding checkpoints to those sequences with the easy mode in the Definitive Edition. That may be in the case in the sequel as well, but the main pitch for those difficult sections is how you'll be able to make significant changes to how Ori plays. Say you hit a wall in area Y, you can leave and explore area B and maybe find something like a triple jump or powerful melee weapon that you can then take back into the roadblock and overcome it.
That's probably why I had no complaints because I played easy mode in the Definitive Edition. LOL

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
They did end up adding checkpoints to those sequences with the easy mode in the Definitive Edition. That may be in the case in the sequel as well, but the main pitch for those difficult sections is how you'll be able to make significant changes to how Ori plays. Say you hit a wall in area Y, you can leave and explore area B and maybe find something like a triple jump or powerful melee weapon that you can then take back into the roadblock and overcome it.
Oh... I didn't know that. I never played it on easy mode so I never saw it. Kind of wish it was optional for all modes. Isn't that kind of how the first one was though where you had to find other abilities in order to progress throughout the world?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that kind of how the first one was though where you had to find other abilities in order to progress throughout the world?

Not quite, with Blind Forest you had a pretty linear set of abilities (outside of your choices in the skill tree that enhanced them) so my Ori's capabilities in that escape sequence were pretty much the same as yours. With the sequel you're going to have a lot more choice in what your player character is able to do, and not be locked into those sequences without the ability to leave and gain/swap abilities which will alter your playstyle.

There should still be more general ability gating like the original game, but we've yet to see how that all plays in with player customization.

Last edited:

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
This gonna be great! first game was fantastic and had beautiful graphics but this one is looking much better. Also musics oh, can't wait to hear them too!

Sadly first game had some bad compression or something so some places were look bad and like low res, i hope this will not the case again.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite, with Blind Forest you had a pretty linear set of abilities (outside of your choices in the skill tree that enhanced them) so my Ori's capabilities in that escape sequence were pretty much the same as yours. With the sequel you're going to have a lot more choice in what your player character is able to do, and not be locked into those sequences without the ability to leave and gain/swap abilities which will alter your playstyle.

There should still be more general ability gating like the original game, but we've yet to see how that all plays in with player customization.
Oh nice... That sounds awesome. So, it'll be more open world-ish where you can choose where you go and how you get it done. That sounds pretty cool.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice... That sounds awesome. So, it'll be more open world-ish where you can choose where you go and how you get it done. That sounds pretty cool.

To clarify, we're not yet sure how open the mainline progression will be. Just that there will be areas and side quests in the game that will give abilities to customise your playstyle for those main encounters.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, we're not yet sure how open the mainline progression will be. Just that there will be areas and side quests in the game that will give abilities to customise your playstyle for those main encounters.
Ah okay, I can't wait for the side quests. I always end up doing them in all the other games.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Playing Ori on the Switch now and this looks a lot crazier in comparison. Like this looks like Ori: Monster Hunter, I mean that in a good way. The creature design is insane. Along with some of the setpieces. Hopefully it can be ported to Switch/Switch 2 as well at some point.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Anyone know (thomasmahler perhaps?) if the collector's edition will be available to order anywhere in Europe? I'd love to get it, but seems like GAME won't ship it outside the UK and seems to be the same thing with Best Buy in the US. It looks so sweet!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know (thomasmahler perhaps?) if the collector's edition will be available to order anywhere in Europe? I'd love to get it, but seems like GAME won't ship it outside the UK and seems to be the same thing with Best Buy in the US. It looks so sweet!

Thomas Mahler mentioned that it *should* be sold worldwide earlier in the thread, but I hadn't seen anything for your region aside from the exclusive GAME listing in the UK.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Anyone know if the collector's bundle will hit PC? I did a quick search and I can't find any mention of it. I do see a collector's edition of the last one

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not in the camp that thinks Ori is in the same club as Hollow Knight or Celeste, but I still really loved it and am stoked for the sequel. Glad it's coming so soon, especially since the FF7R delay.