• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gamegenie

Oct 30, 2017
I got this baby a few weeks ago off eBay, along with a gba everdrive. Time to finally finish Mother 3, maybe play the gba release of FFVI.

Bp9oZ9E.jpg

gL7jje4.jpg

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm close on pulling the trigger on a Game Boy Player for my GC. Is this really the definitive way to play GB games on a big screen? I'm assuming that using Game Boy Interface instead of the default disc is necessary to make things look good. I don't have a modded GC so a SD media launcher is needed, right? Anything else I'm missing?

I'm fortunate to own the component cables so the GC on a 50" plasma looks good already, but will just stick to original handhelds if the GB Player isn't really worth it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm close on pulling the trigger on a Game Boy Player for my GC. Is this really the definitive way to play GB games on a big screen? I'm assuming that using Game Boy Interface instead of the default disc is necessary to make things look good. I don't have a modded GC so a SD media launcher is needed, right? Anything else I'm missing?

I'm fortunate to own the component cables so the GC on a 50" plasma looks good already, but will just stick to original handhelds if the GB Player isn't really worth it.
If you are using GBI and you have the component cables (or HDMI mod), then 100% yes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got myself a second Everdrive GBA for my Game Boy Player. Now I just need to get around to installing GBI.

forpush

Oct 25, 2017
24008791_10155839675318766_1382143937_n.jpg

I picked these up the other day, mixed in with a giant pile of Mahjong, Pachinko and Baseball games. Pretty happy with it they only cost me a euro each, and it's rare enough to find GB games around here,let alone japanese ones, so i couldn't pass them up!

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Double Dragon Advance is one of my favorite beat em ups ever.
If you like the genre check it out. Also has a survival mode!

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Game Boy Micro has a special power cable or can I use one from another Game Boy?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just finished playing Metroid Zero Mission (for the first time) on a Gameboy Micro (that I've hardly ever used before) and I am in love with both of them.

The shoulder buttons on the Micro took some getting used to, but I adjusted and really, really like how crisp games look on it.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished playing Metroid Zero Mission (for the first time) on a Gameboy Micro (that I've hardly ever used before) and I am in love with both of them.

The shoulder buttons on the Micro took some getting used to, but I adjusted and really, really like how crisp games look on it.
Is it ever hard to read text on a Micro? I've never actually played one but the console looks beautiful. Does it feel like an upgrade over the backlit SP (which is what I use now)?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is it ever hard to read text on a Micro? I've never actually played one but the console looks beautiful. Does it feel like an upgrade over the backlit SP (which is what I use now)?

I haven't played too much on it yet, but I had no issues with the text in Zero Mission and I've just re-started Circle of the Moon and it also feels fine.

I do have a backlit SP (somewhere), but haven't really used it for a long time so I can't accurately compare. I think the smaller micro screen just makes everything look that much sharper and I'm into it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Quick picture of my meager GBA collection.

I've still got some stuff misplaced, I think, and an SP AGS-101 somewhere.

This isn't a system I actively collect for so these are all games I got from when the system was still active (aside from the Mother repro, obviously). I have no idea if I have anything even remotely rare, but have been falling in love with the system all over again the past few days, so I might seek out some other games and build a library!

BbJmk6W.jpg

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Quick picture of my meager GBA collection.

I've still got some stuff misplaced, I think, and an SP AGS-101 somewhere.

This isn't a system I actively collect for so these are all games I got from when the system was still active (aside from the Mother repro, obviously). I have no idea if I have anything even remotely rare, but have been falling in love with the system all over again the past few days, so I might seek out some other games and build a library!

BbJmk6W.jpg
Car battler joe is one of the 5 or so rarest games on the system. A loose cartridge goes for roughly 60 USD usually. Tactics Ogre isn't common either. Obviously loose gba games are way cheaper than complete ones though. I would highly recommend advance wars (either one) and fire emblem (either one). Based on the games you own you might love both. Awesome looking Micro by the way.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Here's my collection of portables to include my Gameboys.

GKFF4GEl.jpg

n0ldcull.jpg

The backlit GBA and original GB are probably my preferred ways to play any Gameboy titles.

I also have a modded HDMI Gamecube that has a GameBoy player and GBI to play in true 240p.

22jTJYpl.jpg

Last edited:

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Micro for Christmas and it really is excellent. It definitely feels like an upgrade over the backlit SP. I will still use both but I highly recommend the Micro.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
Micro can't play Game Boy Color games, which is a large part of what I play on my GBA, so it kinda lost me right away with that.

At least DS had DS games as a trade-off for that loss. Micro's trade-off is... it's small? And has a really sharp DPI ratio? Nah, clearly not for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, both. Price not a factor just have to decide what model I want to start off with for my collection. I had two SPs and loved them a lot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I have to swap mobos for my backlit OG GBA. The B and A buttons completely died on me.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on the upcoming Hyperkin Ultra Gameboy?

t2hx9m2xznilspl2qcx3.jpg

The Ultra Game Boy's housing is made from aluminum, which has a wonderful heft when you pick it up. Your original Game Boy is probably covered in knicks and scratches, but it will take a lot of abuse for Hyperkin's remake to start showing wear and tear. The Ultra Game Boy carries over the original's volume and contrast dials, but the final version will include a third dial allowing you to adjust the portable console's new backlit LCD display through the entire RGB spectrum. That backlight can also be turned off, if you want a truly authentic, squinty, Game Boy experience.

New features for the Ultra Game Boy will include a built-in six-hour battery, a USB-C port for charging, as well as a pair of stereo speakers, and left and right audio-out connections. Why the improvements to the Game Boy's sound system when all of its classic games only generate mono sound? Aside from appealing to retro gamers, Hyperkin's Ultra Game Boy is also being customized for chiptune musicians who use the classic console to create modern electronic tunes.

Personally nothing beats the classic for me and I'm not too familiar with Hyperkin's products, but if this ends up being well made then it can be a nifty little device.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on the upcoming Hyperkin Ultra Gameboy?

t2hx9m2xznilspl2qcx3.jpg

Personally nothing beats the classic for me and I'm not too familiar with Hyperkin's products, but if this ends up being well made then it can be a nifty little device.
A bit odd that its only black and white Game Boy games and not at least Color as well. Has the patent expired for the OG Game Boy?

Also, there was the RetroBit Super Retro Boy in development but it was delayed due to legal issues with Nintendo recently renewing the Game Boy copyright.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...uper-retro-boy-remake-nintendo-game-boy-color
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/04/super-retro-boy-put-hold/

super-retro-boy-ces-2017-7.jpg

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone make a thread? I didn't see one for this (or CES 2018 in general, or Hyperkin)

Game Boy Is Coming Back Thanks to Hyperkin
https://gizmodo.com/game-boy-is-coming-back-thanks-to-hyperkin-1821898716/amp

t2hx9m2xznilspl2qcx3.jpg

baf2t9fgmihgpbkcrk8v.jpg

- Aluminium Body
- Backlit LCD w/ dial to adjust screen color through RGB spectrum
- 6 HR Battery
- USB C charging
- Stereo Speakers
- Audio L/R out
- Aiming for > $100

Hyperkin's Ultra Game Boy is also being customized for chiptune musicians who use the classic console to create modern electronic tunes.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for replacement shells/cases for the DMG-01?

I got a super beat up (like disgusting) Game Boy for super cheap and need to re-shell it. I like to keep everything original if possible, but there is no saving this one.

I'm okay paying more for a better quality one. Original grey is what i'm after.
HotHamBoy that looks interesting, thanks for posting. I'll wait for reviews before considering though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for replacement shells/cases for the DMG-01?

I got a super beat up (like disgusting) Game Boy for super cheap and need to re-shell it. I like to keep everything original if possible, but there is no saving this one.

I'm okay paying more for a better quality one. Original grey is what i'm after.
HotHamBoy that looks interesting, thanks for posting. I'll wait for reviews before considering though.
https://www.retromodding.com/collections/gameboy/products/game-boy-shell?variant=4717630128161

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I was seriously considering a moded Gameboy, but if this Hyperkin console is not using emulation, it might be a better option for the alleged price.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many Mother 3 GBA Micros on ebay, so supply clearly isn't an issue, but they're so damn expensive. The price has to crash sometime, right?

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I just ordered a BennVenn modded backlit Game Boy Color! My wallet weeps, but these go quick, and it's been on my list for a while now. Going for a stealthy black, I'll post photos when it is in my hands!

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a dedicated DS thread already? If not, pardon my question, if yes, pardon too lol

Which is DS has the best screen? Especially in regard to pixel density, brightness and colors.

/edit: Ughs, sorry for the pointless post. Wikipedia already answered my question. While the DSi has the worse ppi it has the brighter screen. Guess, I will go with the lite then. Apparently the old DS did not have different kind of screes implemented.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a dedicated DS thread already? If not, pardon my question, if yes, pardon too lol

Which is DS has the best screen? Especially in regard to pixel density, brightness and colors.

/edit: Ughs, sorry for the pointless post. Wikipedia already answered my question. While the DSi has the worse ppi it has the brighter screen. Guess, I will go with the lite then. Apparently the old DS did not have different kind of screes implemented.
The DSLite's abominable d-pad makes it absolutely worthless to me. I would go with a DSi personally.