• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on the new thread since the migration. I've gotten a few new pickups lately, Ill post those later. For now, my babies:

XtX2cvu.jpg

ACTau17.jpg.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I am going to add the extra wire for the backlit GBA mod. I skipped it because I didn't feel comfortable with soldering a point that small, but the brightness isn't enough in bright conditions without it.

I'm also going to get that rechargeable battery from RetroModding.

Oct 29, 2017
Ok guys, looking to expand my collection. I think I've hit all the main titles. Any more recommendations?

I also speak fluent Japanese so language is no issue. Here's the list I have so far:

First Party
Mario Advance 1-4
Wario Advance
Zelda LttP
Zelda Minish Cap
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem Binding Blade
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Mother 1+2
Mother 3
Kirby Amazing Mirror
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Golden Sun
Golden Sun Lost Age

Castlevania
Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
Harmony of Dissonance

RPGs
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Oriental Blue
Tactics Ogre Gaiden
Tales of Phantasia
Legend of Mana
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 1+2
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6

Misc
Astro Boy
Gunstar Heroes

How are the Breath of Fire games?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, looking to expand my collection. I think I've hit all the main titles. Any more recommendations?

I also speak fluent Japanese so language is no issue. Here's the list I have so far:

First Party
Mario Advance 1-4
Wario Advance
Zelda LttP
Zelda Minish Cap
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem Binding Blade
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Mother 1+2
Mother 3
Kirby Amazing Mirror
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Golden Sun
Golden Sun Lost Age

Castlevania
Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
Harmony of Dissonance

RPGs
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Oriental Blue
Tactics Ogre Gaiden
Tales of Phantasia
Legend of Mana
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 1+2
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6

Misc
Astro Boy
Gunstar Heroes

How are the Breath of Fire games?
I could dump about 50 on you but the most important are

Both Wario ware games
All the mega man battle network and zero games
Both Kururin games
The boktai games
Both Advance Wars
Rhythm Heaven

Let me know if you want more recs

Oct 29, 2017
I could dump about 50 on you but the most important are

Both Wario ware games
All the mega man battle network and zero games
Both Kururin games
The boktai games
Both Advance Wars
Rhythm Heaven

Let me know if you want more recs

Hey, mate, thanks very much for the reply and the recommendations.

Good idea about Warioware, I had forgotten that they existed! I'll grab Advance Wars, too.

I remember when Kururin was being advertised in magazines back when the GBA was new. It always looked really weird but I just checked some gameplay vids after your recommendation and it looks pretty fun! I'll take a look!

As for Boktai, is it playable without the sun sensor? Is there any way to cheat it? I heard the game was really good but I don't really want to sit outside haha.

Good idea with Rythm Heaven, I'll order that.

I'd also forgotten about the Mega Man Battle Network games. I'll put those on the wishlist and order when I've worked my way through a few more titles.

I'd be down for more recommendations! Anything more obscure that people usually overlook?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, mate, thanks very much for the reply and the recommendations.

Good idea about Warioware, I had forgotten that they existed! I'll grab Advance Wars, too.

I remember when Kururin was being advertised in magazines back when the GBA was new. It always looked really weird but I just checked some gameplay vids after your recommendation and it looks pretty fun! I'll take a look!

As for Boktai, is it playable without the sun sensor? Is there any way to cheat it? I heard the game was really good but I don't really want to sit outside haha.

Good idea with Rythm Heaven, I'll order that.

I'd also forgotten about the Mega Man Battle Network games. I'll put those on the wishlist and order when I've worked my way through a few more titles.

I'd be down for more recommendations! Anything more obscure that people usually overlook?
I *think* you can trick the Boktai solar sensor if you have the right kind of lightbulb. There's also support for it in some emulators if you're into that. For slightly more obscure stuff, I honestly don't have that much firsthand experience with games not from the major publishers, but there's lots of articles out there with interesting looking overlooked games.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
Recent purchases:

A 2nd backlit gba sp
A backlit original gba

Mgs on GBC
Minish cap (Already beat and I loved it)
Fire pro wrestling 2

Oct 29, 2017
I *think* you can trick the Boktai solar sensor if you have the right kind of lightbulb. There's also support for it in some emulators if you're into that. For slightly more obscure stuff, I honestly don't have that much firsthand experience with games not from the major publishers, but there's lots of articles out there with interesting looking overlooked games.

So I actually own a UK copy of Boktai that I bought just before a holiday to the tropics but never managed to finish it in time. I remember enjoying it but that was about 15 years ago now...

I've been holding off rebuying because of the sensor. As I'm buying the GBA games physical, I'm more looking for titles that I can actually play haha!

Oct 29, 2017
I'm about mid way through Golden Sun now. Debating what to play next. I don't want to jump straight into the Lost Age as I'll get burnt out.

I'm thinking Friends of Mineral Town or Circle of the Moon.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are you guys collecting just the carts or trying to track down the cases? I've gotten a couple in the box but the rest are loose carts or have custom-printed cases. I really want to store/display then informal but I'm not sure which way to go.

Thoughts, anyone?

Oct 29, 2017
So are you guys collecting just the carts or trying to track down the cases? I've gotten a couple in the box but the rest are loose carts or have custom-printed cases. I really want to store/display then informal but I'm not sure which way to go.

Thoughts, anyone?

Not worth it unless you're a serious collector. Cardboard boxes are a nightmare to keep clean and in good condition.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Boxes/CIB are really expensive. Like I got Krazy Racing for 4€, CIB would cost 30€ or so.

Depends on if you only care about playing (like me) or collecting. I only want boxed copies of my favorite games but if they are too expensive, I will just buy the cart. I also don't think GBA boxes are nice to look at when displayed because the "spine" looks inconsistent on a shelf.

Oct 29, 2017
Were there any GBA games you guys really wanted when the GBA was new but couldn't afford/never got around to buying?

In the UK I often just saved up a bit extra as Gamecube games were often £35-40 whereas GBA games were £30.

I always wanted Friends of Mineral Town and Super Mario Advance 2. Own them now, but would have loved to play them at the time.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any GBA games you guys really wanted when the GBA was new but couldn't afford/never got around to buying?

In the UK I often just saved up a bit extra as Gamecube games were often £35-40 whereas GBA games were £30.

I always wanted Friends of Mineral Town and Super Mario Advance 2. Own them now, but would have loved to play them at the time.

At the time there wasn't much just because of being young and being pulled into some many hobbies. I always wanted the Gameboy Player for my Gamecube and just recently bought it after all the years. It's pretty cool seeing Astro Boy and Links Awakening on my tv.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I started adding to my GBA library in the last few months and just want to say how frustrating it is that so many of the GBA carts on Ebay and Amazon are counterfeit. Some sellers even have the audacity to try to pass off their fakes as originals by listing them for high prices. When I reported to Amazon after receiving a fake cart, they only made the seller issue me a refund. They didn't ban him, so these sellers with their fake games are still operating everywhere. Watch out, and study any listing very carefully before buying.

Sellers of authentic games also almost universally treat their original game boxes like crap. Makes me wish I bought more of these games when they were first released myself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started adding to my GBA library in the last few months and just want to say how frustrating it is that so many of the GBA carts on Ebay and Amazon are counterfeit. Some sellers even have the audacity to try to pass off their fakes as originals by listing them for high prices. When I reported to Amazon after receiving a fake cart, they only made the seller issue me a refund. They didn't ban him, so these sellers with their fake games are still operating everywhere. Watch out, and study any listing very carefully before buying.

Sellers of authentic games also almost universally treat their original game boxes like crap. Makes me wish I bought more of these games when they were first released myself.
Yeah, I'm pretty much not bothering with a lot of GBA games anymore unless I can see them in person first.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with GBC and GB games though.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My newest addition. A 101 backlit GBA. This colour scheme definitely feels more 'Glacier' than the glacier colour we got at launch.

Having a backlit screen finally is a revelation. I'm loving playing my old GBA and GBC games on it!

33_BFF0_CD-71_E3-48_D3-_BC51-_E5588207_AFB7.jpg

40_EF9173-_DACF-4950-8579-_ECA9_BB3950_F6.jpg

ECFCD7_C2-_E607-40_EB-8_BC7-_B41_D4_D954_EB4.jpg

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP is missing a lot of notable, great games. Some that are iconic for their respective system.

Where's Warioware Inc or Twisted??
warioware-twisted-tiny.jpg

Some of the games in the OP are not as notable as some of the games that are missing.

Currently only have a GBA Micro & a DS Lite.

Really want a backlit GB, GBC and GBA SP 101.

Thought I'd share here the backlit GBC I built (ags101 screen, Bennvenn adapter)

0GLg2nn.jpg

xjK673c.jpg

jFWVTyB.jpg

LuAu9RU.jpg

iA5yG2I.jpg

Full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/UZ8Y1

It's a shame that so many people dismissed the mod as not worth it after watching the terrible video by thisdoesnotcompute on YouTube (didn't even follow the instructions, rushed it and messed it up). As long as you order a pre-cut shell from Bennvenn and do the install correctly it works perfectly and fits fine. I used clear epoxy to seal the top half.
Wow it looks so good.

Help me make my own?

Tilt_shift

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I still have my original Grey Gameboy, but its screen falls out and need to fix it. I should check up on those batteries too.
I always have an idea to create a gameboy cart version of one of the frame Lego figuers. Though, the price of some of the carts these days have really appreciated!

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to come up with a better OT I'll gladly replace it and credit you, I don't have the time to write a new one.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Here are my goods
Boktai edition GBA SP ( replaced screen with ags101), with Coffin Carry case
GB Boy Colour
Gameboy Horror frontlit
Revo K101 plus
retro mini
Boktai 2
Metal gear ghost Babel
Everdrive GB
Everdrive GBA
JzhEQDU.jpg

OmBk6b2.jpg

DY2tF16.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
So I bought a backlit GBA from Etsy. It came to £90 including UK shipping. It's quite cheap if you like in NA! Much, MUCH cheaper than that Metal Jesus Rocks one. It doesn't have the speaker booster but, tbh, all I wanted was the backlit 101 AGS screen.

Highly recommended, and well worth the cash. Am I allowed to link stores on ERA or is it banned?

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought a backlit GBA from Etsy. It came to £90 including UK shipping. It's quite cheap if you like in NA! Much, MUCH cheaper than that Metal Jesus Rocks one. It doesn't have the speaker booster but, tbh, all I wanted was the backlit 101 AGS screen.

Highly recommended, and well worth the cash. Am I allowed to link stores on ERA or is it banned?
As long as it isn't your store and there's isn't referral stuff, yes you can link.

Oct 29, 2017

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd share here the backlit GBC I built (ags101 screen, Bennvenn adapter)

Full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/UZ8Y1

It's a shame that so many people dismissed the mod as not worth it after watching the terrible video by thisdoesnotcompute on YouTube (didn't even follow the instructions, rushed it and messed it up). As long as you order a pre-cut shell from Bennvenn and do the install correctly it works perfectly and fits fine. I used clear epoxy to seal the top half.

I'm going to attempt this, once the ribbon adapters come back in stock. I already have a GBA 101 Screen (scratched up pink SP system) that I could use, but would it be better to grab one of the Aliexpress models for $36 instead? Are they better, worse, the same?

Also, do you have the link to the pre-cut GBC case? The link in your IMGUR album just goes to the GBA Screen again.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here are my goods
Boktai edition GBA SP ( replaced screen with ags101), with Coffin Carry case
GB Boy Colour
Gameboy Horror frontlit
Revo K101 plus
retro mini
Boktai 2
Metal gear ghost Babel
Everdrive GB
Everdrive GB

Where did you get the small clear display stands for the loose cartridges? I dig em.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you like your shell? Mine feels like it doesn't quite fit together as tightly as the official shell. Are you using the original buttons?
I actually took sandpaper to my shell internally to ensure a snug fit with the backlit screen in addition to using flush cutters and craft knife to clean out the plastic.

I use reproduction buttons for A and B and stock for the dpad and L and R.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Got a great deal on Demikids dark today. Talked them down to $25 for it when I bought a NGPC NIB Biomotor Unitron for $64.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Wow, Game Boy! I still have the OG one, with the link cable because Kadabras don't evolve themselves! Maybe I should find it and put some batteries in it to see if it still works.

CrankyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Gameboy Micro worth getting?
I love the look but is the screen too small for games like FFTA?

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Micro in addition to my backlit OG GBA and honestly the Micro is more of a novelty. It can't play GB/C games and it's insanely hard to find good faceplate replacements and they scratch so easily. Plus the hinges inside the Micro that hold the faceplate in place are made of cheap plastic and tend to disintegrate with age, necessitating using like double sided tape to hold the faceplate in place.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to slightly disagree with SG-17 on this one. All the things they listed as negatives are true, but there is something to be said for having such a small system that you can easily carry around with you. The 101 SP or OG GBA with 101 screen are obviously the better options, but the Micro just can't be beat for portability. It's tied with the 101 SP for my favorite GBA system.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to slightly disagree with SG-17 on this one. All the things they listed as negatives are true, but there is something to be said for having such a small system that you can easily carry around with you. The 101 SP or OG GBA with 101 screen are obviously the better options, but the Micro just can't be beat for portability. It's tied with the 101 SP for my favorite GBA system.

So I've been playing my OG GBA with 101 screen for a few days and...

I prefer my Micro. The screen is small, but gorgeous. I've been playing Golden Sun on it and haven't found it too small. I have FF Tactics but haven't played it yet.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
How good is ebay at refunds if I end up with a repo gba cart and it wasn't listed as such? I'm afraid I can't tell from the pictures.