• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not..strictly portable, however my DS Phat & Afterburner GBAs aren't with me atm and I've been after one of these suckers for years:

20180523_214324-jpg.32390

20180523_215036-jpg.32391

20180523_220730-jpg.32393

20180523_220619-jpg.32394

Oh wow, congrats. I know the Q GBA Player is incredibly rare.

I still remember pining for a Panasonic Q when I was a teenager. Came so close to buying one so many times. I'll pick one up eventually....hopefully.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice. Was looking forward to getting my pink GBA in to mess with... but it didn't come in today and USPS' tracking website is acting up so I can't tell if it got delayed, or if they delivered it to the wrong place.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
While waiting on my GBA to come in, and the parts for the gameboy color... I decided to attempt an internal pro-sound mod to waste some time. My GBC doesn't exhibit any sort of hiss/crackle so couldn't compare to that. That said, I did take some audio capture before and after.

vQdNtKo.png

Both were taken at max volume. The difference is pretty staggering. Pre top, post bottom. It is louder, but that's not the main draw, the output is much cleaner. Coupled with a pretty decent set of cans I have and I was really getting into the music on Castlevania especially.

(edit) Here's the actual audio I captured before and after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLCJvTjTjM pre mod
https://youtu.be/NWLCJvTjTjM?t=1m post mod.

Both were recorded via standard audio cable at max volume.

(update) Got another GBC in today and it's just... it's just awful. https://imgur.com/gallery/wnWc6sj

That said, after all the cleaning, I did get it to power on so now I just need to wait for some replacement bits and bobs (I lost the power switch when I was cleaning it. It's also going to need new buttons and pads because I don't trust those roach covered ones even with cleaning)

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Well. Got my first bootleg GBA game off ebay. And, it doesn't even work.

Put in the return request. Hopefully I come out of this with a full refund and no additional shipping incurred.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Front lit my first GBC.

JduKMVC.jpg

.... I am whelmed. I got both screens perfectly clean but apparently the battery case I ordered with it scratched the light in transit causing an ugly light bleeding scratch. I'm also not a fan of how the texture distorts the image. I wish backlighting GBC wasn't an awful endeavor.

I also can't seem to get the speaker working on this thing. I replaced it, I checked the headphone jack, and I even soldered on a new capacitor (though I'm starting to realize it was probably the wrong one, so I might try another one) and I'm coming up blank. I also completely wrecked the solder pad of the donor gameboy (which I nearly got working 100%). Luckily, I figured out the trace and a bit of 28 gauge wire fixed it up. Live and learn.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well. Got my first bootleg GBA game off ebay. And, it doesn't even work.

Put in the return request. Hopefully I come out of this with a full refund and no additional shipping incurred.
Yeah, don't do that...

Always do second hand shops. They'll usually let you test games in the store, just bring your handheld system.

I also think LetGo might be okay because most people on there are just getting rid of stuff, it's not used as a business platform with the intent to make money.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't do that...

Always do second hand shops. They'll usually let you test games in the store, just bring your handheld system.

I also think LetGo might be okay because most people on there are just getting rid of stuff, it's not used as a business platform with the intent to make money.

I've had good luck for years. Oh well. This guy insists it works, it's real, it's perfect. So I need to wait for eBay to step in now.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Did any gba models come with black buttons?

I have an orange gba with a back-light mod and the black would really pop with it. Only issue is that the black buttons I bought were all 3d printed and the shoulder buttons aren't springy enough for the case so they just sit flat.

Getting some official black buttons would solve it.

That or painting the white shoulder buttons I have, I guess.

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here done the BennVenn GBC 101 mod? Or at least seen one in person?

How much smaller is the screen compared to a regular GBC? I thought I had read somewhere that it was smaller.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't do that...

Yeah I totally disagree with this. I've bought tons of games off eBay. You're always protected as the buyer, so the only risk is losing time if something is wrong. I've gotten a game that didn't work, one had a dead battery, etc. Each of the different sellers understood and immediately offered refunds.

Generally speaking, you're going to have good experiences if you stick with highly-rated sellers. Sellers who sell game cartridges are usually pretty good about knowing the risks involved with these, especially the GBA carts and prevalence of counterfeits.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I totally disagree with this. I've bought tons of games off eBay. You're always protected as the buyer, so the only risk is losing time if something is wrong. I've gotten a game that didn't work, one had a dead battery, etc. Each of the different sellers understood and immediately offered refunds.

Generally speaking, you're going to have good experiences if you stick with highly-rated sellers. Sellers who sell game cartridges are usually pretty good about knowing the risks involved with these, especially the GBA carts and prevalence of counterfeits.

Yeah, same here. The seller was highly rated. I drunk bid, though. I should have backed off, as the price was low and no photo of the pins was offered.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was stupid a few years ago and bought bootlegs of R/S/E/FR/LG from eBay not realizing that's what they were and I initiated a fraud refund and got my money back, was able to keep the (working) bootlegs, and the seller was banned.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, don't do that...

Ebay is fine. Bootlegs are usually prettt obvious, usually priced substantially lower than they should be with no pictures of the actual product. Also if the seller has sold like 20+ of them then they are definitely bootleg, no one has 20 of the same Pokemon cartridge lying around.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here done the BennVenn GBC 101 mod? Or at least seen one in person?

How much smaller is the screen compared to a regular GBC? I thought I had read somewhere that it was smaller.

It's about 5-10% smaller. If you have a gba you can test it yourself. Just pop in a GB game. There are custom screen protectors designed for it that cover the extra blank space so it still looks nice.

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ebay is fine. Bootlegs are usually prettt obvious, usually priced substantially lower than they should be with no pictures of the actual product. Also if the seller has sold like 20+ of them then they are definitely bootleg, no one has 20 of the same Pokemon cartridge lying around.

Those crappy plastic game cases are always a huge red flag too. Any time I see one of those with a game, I pretty much immediately just skip the listing.

It's about 5-10% smaller. If you have a gba you can test it yourself. Just pop in a GB game. There are custom screen protectors designed for it that cover the extra blank space so it still looks nice.

Oh, okay, that's not too bad. I still really want to attempt that mod, but I was afraid it was going to make the screen significantly smaller.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a purple gbc from an Ebay lot about 2 months ago. Didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with it but I decided to at least change the housing. Here are the before and after:

8dpk3.jpg

0jqft.jpg

Very happy with how the white looks. Might start bringing it out in public now, lol.

I also tried my hand at doing a backlight for the dmg but failed but I may do another attempt if I come across another cheap dmg.

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally picked up a copy of Super Robot Taisen 1. I've had 2, but apparently the story continues from the first one.

I've only played the first couple of missions, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Anyone else played it? Does it stay enjoyable throughout, or does it start to get tedious? That's my only fear.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
cATiyoS.jpg

This was a battery corroded, roach infested GBC. Going to switch out the blue buttons, but I needed something in the mean time since I had to throw the old ones and its pads out.

Went from no power and disgusting to clean and fully working.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, eBay saga continues. This seller totally changed his tune from "nuh uh, that game is perfect and real, we don't sell games that are fake and don't work" to "ship it back, then I'll refund it."

I don't really want to pay return shipping. I also don't know if I trust him to actually refund me. I don't think eBay tracks return shipments like it does for sold shipments. Any way I can get this guy to pay the shipping too? He sold me a fake, dammit!

EDIT: I can no longer view the original listing as well. Clicking on "see original listing" takes me to another seller and another listing of the same game. So, I can't view the old pictures this guy had up. I really don't trust him.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Okay, eBay saga continues. This seller totally changed his tune from "nuh uh, that game is perfect and real, we don't sell games that are fake and don't work" to "ship it back, then I'll refund it."

I don't really want to pay return shipping. I also don't know if I trust him to actually refund me. I don't think eBay tracks return shipments like it does for sold shipments. Any way I can get this guy to pay the shipping too? He sold me a fake, dammit!

EDIT: I can no longer view the original listing as well. Clicking on "see original listing" takes me to another seller and another listing of the same game. So, I can't view the old pictures this guy had up. I really don't trust him.

Yeah, I would just go through ebay all the way. If they sold you a repo while passing it off as real then they are already doing something untrustworthy and probably not worth the hassle of dealing with anymore. If you would like to give them the benefit of the doubt then just tell them that unless they pay for the return shipping, and you don't ship it until you've been refunded, then you'll go through ebay.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just file a fraud claim (misrepresented product or something) with eBay. You'll get refunded without having to return the bootlegs and the seller will get banned.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I had a purple gbc from an Ebay lot about 2 months ago. Didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with it but I decided to at least change the housing. Here are the before and after:

8dpk3.jpg

0jqft.jpg

Very happy with how the white looks. Might start bringing it out in public now, lol.

I also tried my hand at doing a backlight for the dmg but failed but I may do another attempt if I come across another cheap dmg.

I like this. What all is involved in switching the housing? Is it pretty simple as opposed to soldering or reattaching ribbons?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like this. What all is involved in switching the housing? Is it pretty simple as opposed to soldering or reattaching ribbons?
You just need a tri-wing screwdriver for the case and a small Phillips screwdriver for a few screws holding the board down. The hardest part is popping the screen out but even that is easy if you twist the top half of the case once it's all apart. Watch a video on YT, it's pretty easy and you'll be done in 5-10 minutes.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would just go through ebay all the way. If they sold you a repo while passing it off as real then they are already doing something untrustworthy and probably not worth the hassle of dealing with anymore. If you would like to give them the benefit of the doubt then just tell them that unless they pay for the return shipping, and you don't ship it until you've been refunded, then you'll go through ebay.

Just file a fraud claim (misrepresented product or something) with eBay. You'll get refunded without having to return the bootlegs and the seller will get banned.

Okay, so I went through eBay. They came back in my favor almost immediately, but, despite my explanations that the item was not authentic, they are still making me return the product. They are providing the shipping label, however.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just need a tri-wing screwdriver for the case and a small Phillips screwdriver for a few screws holding the board down. The hardest part is popping the screen out but even that is easy if you twist the top half of the case once it's all apart. Watch a video on YT, it's pretty easy and you'll be done in 5-10 minutes.

Nice, thanks. I'm having difficulty tracking down a solid white casing. Any links by chance?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My first GBA backlight came in today, can you guess which one I installed it in using this this picture?

CGXpxWd.jpg

The difference is so stark it almost looks photoshopped in that picture. It's crazy. It was also by FAR the easiest thing I've done yet. I can see how the power hookup might be difficult if you haven't done any soldering before because it's so small... but I spent 3x longer modifying the case with angle cutters than I did with any other part of the process.

(edit) So I did some battery testing with those two gameboys, the difference is about 20-30milliamps which comes to about 15-20% of the overall power usage. Assuming 2000mah rechargable batteries, you lose about 2-3 hours total play time depending on whether you're playing GBA games or GBC (GBC games use more power)

Last edited:

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting closer and closer to ordering the GBC-101 ribbon cable adapter from BennVenn. Was browsing around his shop tonight and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ttua-EDDk

I really need to practice my soldering skills more, because watching him is like magic to me.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found a Micro in great condition for 25€. Only caveat: It's pink. Is there any way to easily modify that?

edit: well, I bought it. The condition was just perfect, no scratches whatsoever. I can probably resell it for profit again, if the color is turning me off too much.

FINALLY a reasonably priced micro.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I found a Micro in great condition for 25€. Only caveat: It's pink. Is there any way to easily modify that?

edit: well, I bought it. The condition was just perfect, no scratches whatsoever. I can probably resell it for profit again, if the color is turning me off too much.

FINALLY a reasonably priced micro.
Not going to lie, very jealous.

As an aside, I offered to teach my friend how to mod gameboy.

https://i.imgur.com/R5F3ZZP.jpg

We ran out of time on the DMG, so we didn't get a chance to install the bivert. Planning on doing that this weekend. That said, the backlit china displays continue to deeply impress me. Really hoping one day we'll get someone crazy enough to fund mass producing ones for GBC.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So uh.. How complicated is putting a front light in a GBC?

On a scale of GBA backlight to DMG backlight (easy to hard) it's pretty much smack in the middle, right next to gameboy pocket backlight (with worse results). Only instead of peeling and freaking out about about the reflector, you're dealing with LOCA which is both an added expense and an added annoyance. One that you may not even realize was botched till days or weeks later via spidering.

Also, if you're had ANY other backlit gameboy, the frontlit color is going to feel like a downgrade. If it's your first gameboy mod, yeah go for it, it's definitely a good beginner project just because nothing is necessarily hard just a little frustrating if you don't take a ton of precautions, and you'll definitely pick up a few new skills. If you're looking to turn that GBC into your main gameboy workhorse for games however, hard pass. The results would have been acceptable in 2000 but in the era of everything being backlit it feels unplayable compared to any of the other options.

(Edit) Here's a couple quick comparisons.

On brightness: https://i.imgur.com/Kuwrd5Q.jpg That's with a 'standard' 1 cable install on the GBA (also known as 85% brightness, or no voltage regulator). Don't mind the 'scanlines' in the GBA pic, it's only picked up on camera.

Focusing on the GBC so you can see the washed out nature: https://i.imgur.com/kIw91W9.jpg only thing to note is that there was a scratch on my front light which produces a bright spot. Otherwise you get a pretty clear idea of just how muted everything looks, and it looks worse the closer you get to the bottom where the LEDs are.

About the only benefit the GBC has is that you can use it in direct sunlight even with the front light, but it's still going through the textured glass so it still doesn't look as nice as a stock. Oh and you can play it at all at night... but again, every other option is just superior.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
On a scale of GBA backlight to DMG backlight (easy to hard) it's pretty much smack in the middle, right next to gameboy pocket backlight (with worse results). Only instead of peeling and freaking out about about the reflector, you're dealing with LOCA which is both an added expense and an added annoyance. One that you may not even realize was botched till days or weeks later via spidering.

Also, if you're had ANY other backlit gameboy, the frontlit color is going to feel like a downgrade. If it's your first gameboy mod, yeah go for it, it's definitely a good beginner project just because nothing is necessarily hard just a little frustrating if you don't take a ton of precautions, and you'll definitely pick up a few new skills. If you're looking to turn that GBC into your main gameboy workhorse for games however, hard pass. The results would have been acceptable in 2000 but in the era of everything being backlit it feels unplayable compared to any of the other options.

(Edit) Here's a couple quick comparisons.

On brightness: https://i.imgur.com/Kuwrd5Q.jpg That's with a 'standard' 1 cable install on the GBA (also known as 85% brightness, or no voltage regulator). Don't mind the 'scanlines' in the GBA pic, it's only picked up on camera.

Focusing on the GBC so you can see the washed out nature: https://i.imgur.com/kIw91W9.jpg only thing to note is that there was a scratch on my front light which produces a bright spot. Otherwise you get a pretty clear idea of just how muted everything looks, and it looks worse the closer you get to the bottom where the LEDs are.

About the only benefit the GBC has is that you can use it in direct sunlight even with the front light, but it's still going through the textured glass so it still doesn't look as nice as a stock. Oh and you can play it at all at night... but again, every other option is just superior.

Oh, dang. I didn't realize front lights looked so.. poor on the GBC.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, dang. I didn't realize front lights looked so.. poor on the GBC.
It's the nature of front lighting. You CAN backlight the GBC, but the cost is pretty prohibitive ($40 GBA backlight, $40-50 cable to use it on GBC, $25 for custom milled cased + 3D printed brackets so you can close it) versus the $15 for the front light and another $5 for the LOCA. Likewise, you can get a working GBA for $20-30 if you're a little patient and the backlit screen and cable for $40 and the install is pretty easy. That's about the price of a SP101 as well without any of the work involved.

If you have the GBC and you don't have any other options, it's still a viable one... but it's just so hard to recommend going through the effort to frontlight if any other options are available.

Oct 28, 2017
I am going to have to replace the dpad in this thing. I guess the person I bought it from replaced the buttons, but they're.. really bad.
The dpad lets me hit every direction at once. Not exactly great considering that kind of breaks Links Awakening in a major way.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Received my pink micro. The color is pretty... flashy. Besides a small dent at one of the cornes, this thing is in perfect condition. Love it. I missed the fantastic screen so much! It is the only way to properly play GBA games.

Is there any easy method of dumping GBA games to a flash card? I would love to carry all my games with me and also fix those battery issues with the Pokemon games.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Received my pink micro. The color is pretty... flashy. Besides a small dent at one of the cornes, this thing is in perfect condition. Love it. I missed the fantastic screen so much! It is the only way to properly play GBA games.

Is there any easy method of dumping GBA games to a flash card? I would love to carry all my games with me and also fix those battery issues with the Pokemon games.
Easiest way is to use a DS Lite with a slot 1 flashcard.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I've been wanting to get a custom GBA for going on half a year now, but I keep flip-flopping between whether I should go with a GBA or a GBA SP. The GBA certainly has the better form factor, but I think custom SP's have the potential to look sharper with the right color combination, and also tend to cost less whenever I've priced them. Looking for some insight/advice on which way I should go.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get a custom GBA for going on half a year now, but I keep flip-flopping between whether I should go with a GBA or a GBA SP. The GBA certainly has the better form factor, but I think custom SP's have the potential to look sharper with the right color combination, and also tend to cost less whenever I've priced them. Looking for some insight/advice on which way I should go.

I've got both and it honestly can go either way. For actual travel and throwing it in bags, an AGS-101 Sp can't be beat. But for playing at home, I use my backlit AGB. The GB AND GBC carts are less intrusive in an AGB, but the SP has the form factor and portability.

If you're trying to future-proof everything, go with an AGB just because it uses AA batteries and you won't have to worry about an internal battery replacement years from now.

May 27, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I've been collecting all pokemon games for a while now, only missing Moon and Sapphire. Sapphire is the most painful game to find in the whole bunch (Found Leafgreen in a second-hand shop stand at an anime convention, then Ruby (with a gameboy advance) from the Facebook Marketplace, and Emerald/Firered in a second-hand shop)

I've been trying to find one over the internet, but all these bootlegs are around and no authentic in sight.
So right now, I'm just stuck waiting until my usual second-hand shop get it, and buy it before anyone else does. It's a real pain

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I haven't had too bad of a time getting authentic GBA Pokemon games online. I just make sure to only look at listings with decent enough pictures for me to spot the telltale fake signs. Just got a legit Emerald cart this past week.

The one fake game I did get (LeafGreen) was at a local secondhand store, hilariously enough.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I've got both and it honestly can go either way. For actual travel and throwing it in bags, an AGS-101 Sp can't be beat. But for playing at home, I use my backlit AGB. The GB AND GBC carts are less intrusive in an AGB, but the SP has the form factor and portability.

If you're trying to future-proof everything, go with an AGB just because it uses AA batteries and you won't have to worry about an internal battery replacement years from now.
Thanks for the insight! I'd be using this almost exclusively at home, so the form factor of the SP is of little consequence. But the fact that it uses a rechargeable battery is definitely a good consideration. Being able to just toss a couple of Eneloops into an AGB instead of having to plug it in and charge it up sounds appealing enough for me to lean that way.

How're the buttons on an AGB? I only ever owned an SP growing up, so I only remember Gameboy Advance games on the clicky buttons the SP has. Are the buttons on an AGB kind of mushy, like they look?

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight! I'd be using this almost exclusively at home, so the form factor of the SP is of little consequence. But the fact that it uses a rechargeable battery is definitely a good consideration. Being able to just toss a couple of Eneloops into an AGB instead of having to plug it in and charge it up sounds appealing enough for me to lean that way.

How're the buttons on an AGB? I only ever owned an SP growing up, so I only remember Gameboy Advance games on the clicky buttons the SP has. Are the buttons on an AGB kind of mushy, like they look?

They're not quite as clicky as the SP but not too mushy. Switching between them never really feels all that diffrrrent to me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

I have a couple GBA I've added backlights to, but haven't had the chance to do any sort of customizations beyond that. If you are in the US I'd be willing to part for them fairly cheap since I'm sitting on a lot of systems right now that I'd like to get out from under. They both have some cosmetic issues on their cases, but if they are for home use or if you want to get the parts to customize yourself all the 'hard' work is done.

As for the buttons, the GBA buttons are membrane just like all of the GB line before it (DMG, Pocket, GBC). They are definitely not mushy like cheap knock offs, but they definitely don't have the click of actual switches. Personally, I prefer the membrane on consoles, especially the D-pad. They are also superior for night gaming since the clicking can be a tad annoying otherwise.

Of course, that's all personal preference there.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man I think my eyesight is going, I found my GBC from when I was 11 and I can barely see the screen let alone read the text. I know there is backlight LCD fake console and a mod for GBC but is it just better to get a GBA AGS-101? Seems like a cheaper opttion plus support for GBA games.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Man I think my eyesight is going, I found my GBC from when I was 11 and I can barely see the screen let alone read the text. I know there is backlight LCD fake console and a mod for GBC but is it just better to get a GBA AGS-101? Seems like a cheaper opttion plus support for GBA games.

You can get a GBC frontlight that's relatively cheap/easy to install but frontlights look like crap (scroll up to see the comparison between my GBA backlit and GBC frontlit)

Unless you're absolutely in love with the GBC, there is zero reason to get the backlit GBC over an SP or AGS-101. It's extremely cost ineffective, it doesn't play GBA games, cuts down the size of the screen about 10%, etc.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
You can get a GBC frontlight that's relatively cheap/easy to install but frontlights look like crap (scroll up to see the comparison between my GBA backlit and GBC frontlit)

Unless you're absolutely in love with the GBC, there is zero reason to get the backlit GBC over an SP or AGS-101. It's extremely cost ineffective, it doesn't play GBA games, cuts down the size of the screen about 10%, etc.
Hey, in that gba picture you posted it might just be the angle of the photo but it looks like there's a bit of pressure being exerted on the bottom right of the screen. You may need to go in with a bit of sandpaper on the front case to get it super flush, I had the same issue.

Oh also if you do some sanding be careful, I wasn't paying attention and fucked the screen cover up and had to get another one.