• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Awesome, these are great! Thank you. Second review definitely sealed the deal. Any specific vendor you would recommend? I have a $5 coupon on eBay right now and those vendors seem to be the cheapest (and sketchiest), so I might just bite the bullet and order from one of them.
I bought mine from 3ds-flashcard but it was soon after it came out so there wasn't anything on ebay yet. Their site is rather sketchy but I had purchased something there before so I was pretty confident. Since you have an ebay coupon I would go that route. They're cheaper than 3ds-flashcard as well.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally bit the bullet and bought an EverDrive GBA x5

I've been enjoying rediscovering my GBA but I honestly don't have all that many games that really interest me. So I'm hoping this way I'll be putting more time into my GBA

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for using the everdrive or starting it up? I've never used anything like it before so having some tips would be helpful haha

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got my EZFlash Omega a couple of days ago and it's incredible! One issue: Between the flash card and my backlight mod, my OG GBA's battery life is really low. Like, one hour on a fresh set of AA's gets me to red-light territory. Are there any good aftermarket chargers or adapters still available for an original GBA?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my EZFlash Omega a couple of days ago and it's incredible! One issue: Between the flash card and my backlight mod, my OG GBA's battery life is really low. Like, one hour on a fresh set of AA's gets me to red-light territory. Are there any good aftermarket chargers or adapters still available for an original GBA?

Wow that's pretty bad.. I would say look into that and see if that's normal. I just got the everdrive gba x5 a few days ago for my backlit gba and my battery life seems to be normal.

https://www.retromodding.com/collec...cts/gameboy-advance-rechargeable-battery-pack

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're lookkng for but I've been interested in this for a while I just haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger yet

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow that's pretty bad.. I would say look into that and see if that's normal. I just got the everdrive gba x5 a few days ago for my backlit gba and my battery life seems to be normal.

https://www.retromodding.com/collec...cts/gameboy-advance-rechargeable-battery-pack

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're lookkng for but I've been interested in this for a while I just haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger yet

Yeah, I'm going to do a couple more test runs and see what's up. I put this set of new AA's in right after initialization of the flash card, so maybe that first boot used more power than normal or something. And with the backlight mod, I've heard of the battery indicator lights acting weird, so I'll just keep playing with the light on red and see how long it actually lasts.
That link is exactly what I'm looking for! $40 is a bit steep but it's good to know it's there!

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to do a couple more test runs and see what's up. I put this set of new AA's in right after initialization of the flash card, so maybe that first boot used more power than normal or something. And with the backlight mod, I've heard of the battery indicator lights acting weird, so I'll just keep playing with the light on red and see how long it actually lasts.
That link is exactly what I'm looking for! $40 is a bit steep but it's good to know it's there!

Yeah that's my biggest gripe too, and since it's coming from Canada I have to pay a bit more as well for shipping.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Assuming you're using rechargeable batteries, that's not necessarily a reflection of the battery's remaining life, but a quirk resulting from how rechargeable batteries work. You might be able to improve it by cleaning the contacts inside your GBA. There are details in the quoted portion of this post on NeoGAF (unfortunately, the charts are gone, and I couldn't find something similar on this site):

Yeah the light on the AGB is triggered to go red when the battery drops below a certain voltage, which would be appx 20% capacity for an alkaline battery. But regular alkaline batteries behave quite a bit differently than the Ni-MH used in eneloops (and similar batteries produced by Fujitsu).

An alkaline battery will drop in voltage something like this:

They start at 1.5v each and slowly drop to so low that it can't power the circuit any more.

Eneloops are more like this:

They start at 1.2v (appx) and stay pretty consistently until they really rapidly decline in voltage.

So I think whatever the level for "20%" red LED it's somewhere near 2.4v (1.2 * 2). It's pretty annoying but the good news is it will last a very long time even though it's red.

The power on the system needs to flow through the metal in the switch, and over time the switch itself can get corroded, which can cause minor variances in voltage (it acts like resistor). If it gets really bad, even nudging the power switch can cause the power to shut off. I used a small amount of de-oxit contact cleaner to make mine more consistent.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why doesn't anyone sell a GBA shell that looks like the Tingle Tuner from Wind Waker? :(

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Tennis for GBC is pretty baller, had a great time RPGing my way to singles & doubles glory. Only downside is the mini-game to unlock the gold/silver racket. Need to hammer the A button 100-150 times in 10 seconds, a task for the Gameshark!

Minish Cap now!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a GBA cartridge that initially seems to save fine, but if I leave the game turned off for more than a couple days, my save disappears.

There is a battery inside the cartridge. Will changing the battery fix it?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I have a GBA cartridge that initially seems to save fine, but if I leave the game turned off for more than a couple days, my save disappears.

There is a battery inside the cartridge. Will changing the battery fix it?
I believe so. I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know the battery being there is specifically for saves, so it's probably on its way out.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I believe so. I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know the battery being there is specifically for saves, so it's probably on its way out.
I know the battery is for saves, what I'm weirded out by is the fact that the save is still present for a period of time.

I'd just like someone to confirm that behavior makes sense before I attempt this and maybe break everything. :)

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Hey, gang! Just wanted to drop the biggest piece in my GBA collection in here! Spoiler for fair sized image.
FzpQ8Ls.jpg
I actually use it store a lot of my Nintendo stuff, with the bottom holding a bunch of spare consoles and whatever. It's a bit of a mess, because I actually just put it back together after a move (and I moved again unexpectedly since this picture ffs) so everything is haphazardly tossed in there. It's currently sitting in pieces at my parents place until I get a chance to go down there and pick it all up, which might be awhile.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bivert from hell has finally been conquered and looking super great!

tqhKKYz.jpg

2vZyxOy.jpg

Pixels so clean, you could eat off them. Everything on this system is OEM besides, of course, the backlight and bivert. The case was in just such great shape, I couldn't replace it.

My buddy is going to do this for me, he's made a few before.

I just need buy the screen, he has everything else already.

What color are you using? My goal is to create something that feels true to the original screen, preserving the iconic pea-yellow.

The choice is between Yellow and Washed Yellow, but I've never seen them in person and I don't know what to get.

All of these example look good to me based on the pics but I couldn't be 100% which were yellow or washed yellow.

The one with the Zelda title screen looks the best IMO

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What color are you using? My goal is to create something that feels true to the original screen, preserving the iconic pea-yellow.

Washed yellow. I've done about 4-5 different colors and I prefer the washed yellow of everything I've done. It has a very retro feel, but it's extremely easy on the eyes even at night. I've done 2-3+ hour gaming sessions and come out of it with zero eye strain.

That said, another strong contender for 'authentic' looking color is the olive green. I think only Retromodding carries it, so I have never had a chance to try it in person.

olivebivert-700x700_eab6af12-9cea-4ccb-a521-db54e6f6614b_large.jpg

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just moved and was going through my old games and rediscovered that I own Shantae for GBC. Now granted I don't have the box, but I do have the instruction booklet. I feel like I just won the lottery.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I just moved and was going through my old games and rediscovered that I own Shantae for GBC. Now granted I don't have the box, but I do have the instruction booklet. I feel like I just won the lottery.
woah, I had no idea how valuable that game is. I'd almost say it'd be worth the cost to hunt down a box.

you could fund a switch and a couple of games with the sell of that game alone. Crazy.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is this a fake cartridge? Thank you kindly.

http:///RQVc.jpg
It looks like a repo to me. The Nintendo Seal of Approval font looks off and the overall quality of the label itself looks to be in too good of condition. The Sammy sticker on the board is also something I've never seen. Of course I don't really know and this is just my observations. It might help a bit more to get pictures of the back of the casing.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If you see an epoxy blob, it's fake 100% of the time..... except for some super early GB games (some copies of Tetris) since Nintendo outsourced to keep up.

Also labels on chips is another dead give away... Specifically, that chip came out of a pachinko machine sometime between 2005-2010ish. The game is called "Legend of the King" by Sammy (hence the sticker on it). The official website for that machine seems to have been deleted so I can't get specifics for it.

Apparently it's SUPER common for this to happen. Pachinko machines in Japan are made with flash chips because they go into and out of style pretty fast. Once a machine's parts are considered no longer viable, they end up being sent to China to be recycled. Recycling in this case, is being used in a GBA reproduction cart to sucker some random person on ebay or alibaba.

The last person I saw post a picture of their repro, it was from a Eureka 7 pachinko machine. I'm actually starting to really like seeing them as in a weird way, these chips have their own somewhat interesting stories to tell.

The thing is, this is so common and so streamlined from the Chinese side, they don't even bother removing labels or anything... Some poor person is sitting at a soldering station putting hundreds of these things together a day and since most people don't even own the tools to open the cart, they can get away with cutting corners like that.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
I'm considering buying a second-hand GBA Micro. Apart from the screen, is there something I should carefully examine before the purchase?

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering buying a second-hand GBA Micro. Apart from the screen, is there something I should carefully examine before the purchase?
Will you be able to examine it in person? There is an internal plastic frame that is used to hold the faceplates in place. That plastic degrades and will fall apart necessitating using doubled sided tape to hold the faceplate in place.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
Will you be able to examine it in person? There is an internal plastic frame that is used to hold the faceplates in place. That plastic degrades and will fall apart necessitating using doubled sided tape to hold the faceplate in place.

Yeah, the seller is my local game store. Thanks for the tip!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
just found this thread! I loved my GB growing up, but in my teens I ended up selling or giving away my entire GB/GBA collection outside of keeping Mega Man 3 for some reason.

About a year ago I decided to reshell and frontlight my wife's GBC because she loved playing doctor mario at night. In the process my old passion was reignited and over the past year I ended up buying myself several units (2 pockets, a color, an SP, and a micro very recently) and tinkering a bit with new silicon pads and buttons and shells for some of them. My next projects are to open up the Micro because the screen bugs out if i put pressure on a certain part of the unit, and to get a DMG and backlight it/reshell it. Also really wanna do the GBC-101 mod.

What are some games that you guys think are overlooked? I've collected maybe 20-30 games between GB/C/A in the last year and am looking for more really good games that hold up in 2018.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
just found this thread! I loved my GB growing up, but in my teens I ended up selling or giving away my entire GB/GBA collection outside of keeping Mega Man 3 for some reason.

About a year ago I decided to reshell and frontlight my wife's GBC because she loved playing doctor mario at night. In the process my old passion was reignited and over the past year I ended up buying myself several units (2 pockets, a color, an SP, and a micro very recently) and tinkering a bit with new silicon pads and buttons and shells for some of them. My next projects are to open up the Micro because the screen bugs out if i put pressure on a certain part of the unit, and to get a DMG and backlight it/reshell it. Also really wanna do the GBC-101 mod.

What are some games that you guys think are overlooked? I've collected maybe 20-30 games between GB/C/A in the last year and am looking for more really good games that hold up in 2018.

I haven't played it myself but Astroboy seems to be highly regarded. I simply don't own it yet, it is on my radar. My personal favorites are the 2 Breath of Fire games, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage, Drill Dozer, Medal of Honor, and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.

I've also heard good things about (but have never played) Lilo and Stitch, Final Fight One, TMNT, Spiderman The Movie, Ninja Five-O, and Wario Land 4

Keep an eye on Gamestop as they often do a B2G1 deal on retro games. I have yet to get a bad cart from them, and I know others here have also had good luck with them (unless you don't have access to them, of course).

Welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have access to my catalog at work, but I have somewhere around 20-30 GB/C/A games. Vast majority I got when they came out when I was a kid.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't played it myself but Astroboy seems to be highly regarded. I simply don't own it yet, it is on my radar. My personal favorites are the 2 Breath of Fire games, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage, Drill Dozer, Medal of Honor, and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.

I've also heard good things about (but have never played) Lilo and Stitch, Final Fight One, TMNT, Spiderman The Movie, Ninja Five-O, and Wario Land 4

Keep an eye on Gamestop as they often do a B2G1 deal on retro games. I have yet to get a bad cart from them, and I know others hear have also had good luck with them (unless you don't have access to them, of course).

Welcome.
Ah yeah I definitely need to get Astro Boy, that's one of the games I owned when it came out and sold eventually. THPS2 was the first game I made sure to buy when I got the SP this year, it definitely is great. I'll make sure to check out some of your other recommendations, thanks! And yes a lot of my best finds were bundles from GameStop on B2G1 deals.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've amassed almost every GBA game worth owning...

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
Duke Nukem 3D Advance
Ecks vs Sever
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Gunstar Super Heroes
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Kirby: The Amazing Mirror
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Max Payne
Mother 3 (Repro/Fan Translated)
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
Mega Man Battle Network 2
Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue
Mega Man Battle Network 5
Mega Man Battle Network 6
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man Zero 4
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Riviera: The Promised Land
River City Ransom EX
Scurge: Hive
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Shining Soul II
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Spider Man: Mysterio's Menace
Super Monkey Ball Jr.
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Super Robot Taisen
Super Robot Taisen 2
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
TMNT
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Warioland 4
Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgames
Wario Ware Twisted
X2: Wolverine's Revenge

What am I missing apart from Ninja Five-0? Want to avoid non-essential ports. I'd consider the GBA ports of FF essential because of the translations.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket GB Micro screens?

gato_busta

Oct 30, 2017
What am I missing apart from Ninja Five-0? Want to avoid non-essential ports. I'd consider the GBA ports of FF essential because of the translations.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket GB Micro screens?

Boktai 2, it's better than the first one with more RPG elements and weapon variety. There are plenty of CIB euro versions on ebay, they have language selection (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish).

I changed my micros screen last year when it got a line of dead pixels. I just looked for a seller on ebay with high rating and went for it. It was the same as the exact same part as the OEM one on the micro. According to Colin from This Does Not Compute, It was a standard part used also used in cameras, so there should be plenty around.

Game Boy Micro Teardown

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
^ The bottom left of that screen bezel doesn't seem flush. Is that standard from squeezing all the stuff in that tight space?

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
^ The bottom left of that screen bezel doesn't seem flush. Is that standard from squeezing all the stuff in that tight space?
I think it might just be the cut of the lens, he makes his own, I'm thinking about ordering a lens from bluishsquirrel and seeing how that compares.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
If it was mine I would have noticed right away and been upset for like 20 seconds until I powered it on and saw that beautiful backlit screen, and my worries would wash away :D

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I really need to just bite the bullet and order the stuff to get that mod done. I play my GBC all the time nad being able to see it without cranking my neck around trying to catch the light would be incredible