• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just finished reshelling my gba i bought fromKojiKnight

i went for an eva-01 theme.

5OQff3L.jpg

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Found a Gameboy Advance SP ags101 at the thrift store for $25 but didn't buy it. Did I screw up?

I feel like I did. I might go back tomorrow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What gauge wire should I use for the extra brightness of the backlit mod? My kit didn't come with one and I keep seeing these pics of super bright screens and I want.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
What gauge wire should I use for the extra brightness of the backlit mod? My kit didn't come with one and I keep seeing these pics of super bright screens and I want.
as far as I know you should just use the smallest you can get. I would use an 18 or a 40. Should be able to go to your local Auto Parts store and get some cut to length. Of course the smaller gauge the harder it is to strip so you might want to pick up a decent stripping tool if you don't already have one.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Great price for a 101. Definitely go back.
yeah, I'm going to. They actually had 2 there. One was 25 but needed a charge before it powered on and one was 35 and didn't work at all. There was only one charger so the lady said she would package it with whichever one I bought but I might buy both and try to repair the broken one. The broken one is 50% off so it would be $17.5.

I tried to figure out why one was 10 dollars more but the lady could only speculate that they were priced by two different people, hence the difference. I also tried to get the working one re-tagged (orange tags are 50% this week) but she said she couldn't do it. Didn't make any sense to me which is part of the reason I didn't buy it but yeah, I could at there very least resell it on ebay and make at least double the money back. Might keep it though as it's one of the models I don't own.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

You don't need any particular type of wire, the actual power going through the wire isn't that much. There are essentially 3 kinds of GBA backlit mod. 30, 85, and 100%.

If you get a backlit screen, but don't do any soldering, you'll be doing a 30%. The backlight will work, but it's really only suitable in low or even no light. 85 is the most common since it only requires the soldering of a single wire and is a good compromise between difficulty, light strength, and battery life. 100% requires the soldering of an additional 5v power regulator and generally if you do it, you want to go the extra mile and install some sort of means to control the brightness (pot, switch, or even fancier, one of the button combination chips).

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
yeah, I'm going to. They actually had 2 there. One was 25 but needed a charge before it powered on and one was 35 and didn't work at all. There was only one charger so the lady said she would package it with whichever one I bought but I might buy both and try to repair the broken one. The broken one is 50% off so it would be $17.5.

I tried to figure out why one was 10 dollars more but the lady could only speculate that they were priced by two different people, hence the difference. I also tried to get the working one re-tagged (orange tags are 50% this week) but she said she couldn't do it. Didn't make any sense to me which is part of the reason I didn't buy it but yeah, I could at there very least resell it on ebay and make at least double the money back. Might keep it though as it's one of the models I don't own.
Definitely do it you lucky bastard. If you are even more lucky, it will work again after replacing the battery. Great deal anyway. What color are they? I know you in the US got a black (Onyx) SP101 while we in Europe only got an aqua blue and pink one iirc. I have a blue one but would love a black one. Even tried to change the body with one of those chinese (3rd party) ones but they look and feel cheaper than the original ones so I threw it away.

Anyway, go back and buy them asap if you can easily afford it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Definitely do it you lucky bastard. If you are even more lucky, it will work again after replacing the battery. Great deal anyway. What color are they? I know you in the US got a black (Onyx) SP101 while we in Europe only got an aqua blue and pink one iirc. I have a blue one but would love a black one. Even tried to change the body with one of those chinese (3rd party) ones but they look and feel cheaper than the original ones so I threw it away.

Anyway, go back and buy them asap if you can easily afford it.
They're both pink. Pretty good shape overall. Gonna try and get the second one working:

jwODLpp.jpg

lsgrR1a.jpg

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Good enough for an old used system. Really curious if it's just a dead battery or something else with the one not turning on. You could try switching batteries from to the other to be sure before you buy a new one.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Good enough for an old used system. Really curious if it's just a dead battery or something else with the one not turning on. You could try switching batteries from to the other to be sure before you buy a new one.
ha, i was just about to do that. will report back.

*Edit: Yep, it's the battery. The charge light comes on when I insert the charger but immediately goes out. Switched the battery and it works aces. Gonna look into a replacement battery.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Got two questions.
1. Anyone mess up with their AGS-101 screen mod on the AGB models? Never soldered anything before afraid I'll mess up
2. Is it possible to get Gameboy cartridge stickers? I want to start collecting the Gameboy pokemon games but noticed most of them near me have their stickers faded or are ripped. Would rather just buy ones I know are genuine and replace the sticker

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Got two questions.
1. Anyone mess up with their AGS-101 screen mod on the AGB models? Never soldered anything before afraid I'll mess up
2. Is it possible to get Gameboy cartridge stickers? I want to start collecting the Gameboy pokemon games but noticed most of them near me have their stickers faded or are ripped. Would rather just buy ones I know are genuine and replace the sticker

I've done dozens of them at this point. They are both the easiest gameboy in the entire line to mod (95% of the time you spend will be on cutting the case up to fit the larger screen) but it also has one of the smallest solder points.

My suggest, if you're never soldered before find some old electronic and practice. After you feel comfortable, then when you work on the gba get some thick tape like painters or electrical tape and cover everything around the left leg of DA-1 so you're less likely to short anything.

As for gameboy cartridge stickers, you're best bet would be a print shop... but please please put somewhere even in small print on them that they are replica stickers.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
just a heads up. retromodding.com is having a black friday sale. Lots of cool modding stuff for gameboys:

https://www.retromodding.com/collections/black-friday-sale
I'd still shop around or get stuff from ebay, as it'll still be cheaper elsewhere for most of the stuff he's selling. Retromodding has a great collection in one spot, but it's also very expensive. For example, even on sale they are still selling a $40 AGS backlit screen for $65.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really running out of games to buy/play on this system.

20181125_224809-1-cop9lc7k.jpg

I still need Ninja Five-O, Solar Boy Django, and not much else I don't think. I've got all the hidden gems that I know of. I'm on the fence about Lady Sia and importing the Starfy games. In case you didn't notice, the VAST majority of these aren't ports and if they are they're suitably different to the point where they're completely different games outside of Yoshi's Island.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, we could probably dig deeper into the GB/GBC side of things - there's no Pokémon there, for instance.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Picked these up last week.

DHPSnNZl.jpg

I already had the NA version of Mario's Picross but since 2 was never released here I grabbed it and the first one as a bundle. I just gotta replace the battery on 2.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
So eBay has a 25% off coupon going for the next couple days. Between that and handheld legend having a sale, I was all set to mod a DMG finally. I don't have any backlit non-advance game boys and just got a soldering iron so I was ready to start.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm like.... I dunno, I have several game boys, a new one isn't what i need right now. What I NEED right now is a flash cart.

So I'm thinking now about whether I want the get an ez Flash Omega (so it would sit flush in my Micro), or a GB Everdrive X7. I know the GBA cart can emulate gb/c with minimal problems but since I would almost always be using my Micro to play I don't know what those old GB games would look like on such a tiny screen, plus I just really love the feeling of a DMG, pocket, or Color in my hands. The downside to the X7 of course is that I can't play Advance games.

What would you guys do?

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Hey, gang! Just wanted to drop the biggest piece in my GBA collection in here! Spoiler for fair sized image.
FzpQ8Ls.jpg
I actually use it store a lot of my Nintendo stuff, with the bottom holding a bunch of spare consoles and whatever. It's a bit of a mess, because I actually just put it back together after a move (and I moved again unexpectedly since this picture ffs) so everything is haphazardly tossed in there. It's currently sitting in pieces at my parents place until I get a chance to go down there and pick it all up, which might be awhile.

You're the first person I've seen that owns one of these besides myself. You're is slightly different though, as mine doesn't have the GBA logo on the bottom glass. Instead, mine has an outline of the GBA system on the top glass. I've been trying to track down info on what demo unit may have gone with it, as mine did not come with one.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Own a GB ED and a GBA ED like I do because I'm crazy. :P
Too bad you missed the 20% off sales at Stone Age Gamer. Krikzz's 20% off sale is still live on his site and on his Amazon store page but I don't know for how much longer.
oh wow, thanks for posting this. the ebay offer i was going to use either expired or doesnt apply to this item so im grabbing it straight from his store for just over 100, thanks!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
And yeah the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll get both eventually lol. But for now I think the X7 is a better buy for me, there are way more GB games out there that I want to play and dont own, than there are for GBA.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You're the first person I've seen that owns one of these besides myself. You're is slightly different though, as mine doesn't have the GBA logo on the bottom glass. Instead, mine has an outline of the GBA system on the top glass. I've been trying to track down info on what demo unit may have gone with it, as mine did not come with one.
My brother! Mine has the GBA outline as well, but it's hard to see in the photo. I've also tried to track down the demo unit and had zero luck. I think those things are long long gone. The GBA got pulled out of it and the arm that held it got junked way before these displays were done being used, so there's like a decade+ of time between when the GBA was actively no longer being sold and when they started getting rid of the actual display itself.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And yeah the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll get both eventually lol. But for now I think the X7 is a better buy for me, there are way more GB games out there that I want to play and dont own, than there are for GBA.
Just keep in mind that the 20% off sales are yearly for Black Friday so they're great for picking up his other products.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Hm, has anyone else had problems ordering straight from Krikzz? My payment is unable to be authorized. Is this a problem people have when ordering from the U.S., and if so is there any way around it? The X7 doesnt seem to be in stock on his amazon store or I would just order from there.

EDIT: lol chase had flagged the transaction since it's international, all good now

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hm, has anyone else had problems ordering straight from Krikzz? My payment is unable to be authorized. Is this a problem people have when ordering from the U.S., and if so is there any way around it? The X7 doesnt seem to be in stock on his amazon store or I would just order from there.

EDIT: lol chase had flagged the transaction since it's international, all good now
Yeah, any time I've ordered from Canada I've had to call my bank because they flag it as fraud. Guess that's what happens when you try to order something from the Ukraine. Just be prepared for a long shipping time.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
My brother! Mine has the GBA outline as well, but it's hard to see in the photo. I've also tried to track down the demo unit and had zero luck. I think those things are long long gone. The GBA got pulled out of it and the arm that held it got junked way before these displays were done being used, so there's like a decade+ of time between when the GBA was actively no longer being sold and when they started getting rid of the actual display itself.

Interesting, they must have taken the bottom gba decal off mine. I have a ds sign that can fit over the top section and those shelf liners with the DS branding like yours, so that makes sense that the GBA units were replaced, most likely with DS units. Are you in Canada by chance?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Has anybody ever come across an bootleg OG GB cart that has the proper "Nintendo GAMEBOY" writing on the top instead of the more common "GAME" and a silver painted plastic screw? I noticed my copy of Darkwing Duck looked weird but when I tried to open it, the head of the screw broke of because it's just cheap plastic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured I'd ask here before posting it in the BST thread but I've got an extra GBA Everdrive that I want to sell. I was looking for $110 shipped in the continental US. It includes a 16GB microSD card.

Anyone interested?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Realized I've never posted a pic of how I store my GB/GBC games. Got this case at a garage sale last year for $2. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for my GB/GBC games.

ZvFSiIPl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZvFSiIP.jpg
g5blo4ql.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g5blo4q.jpg

As you can see, I need more of those plastic game cases. I grab them whenever I go to game shows. I could grab them for cheap off eBay from China but I like real ones. It's the perfect size inside for the lid to close with everything like that. I need to get inserts printed for inside those cases to easily see the names of the games like in this video (starts at 6:25).

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realized I've never posted a pic of how I store my GB/GBC games. Got this case at a garage sale last year for $2. As soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for my GB/GBC games.

ZvFSiIPl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZvFSiIP.jpg
g5blo4ql.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g5blo4q.jpg

As you can see, I need more of those plastic game cases. I grab them whenever I go to game shows. I could grab them for cheap off eBay from China but I like real ones. It's the perfect size inside for the lid to close with everything like that. I need to get inserts printed for inside those cases to easily see the names of the games like in this video (starts at 6:25).

Oh man, I love that. I need to find a good solution for mine.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I have mine all lined up in my office desk drawer which is like exactly the right height and depth for them. wish I could display them but I'm short on room!

On another note, I got a soldering iron last weekend and am going to attempt to refresh a disgusting old DMG with a new shell/buttons, and a backlight and bivert. Never soldered anything before lol hope I don't muck it up too badly

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
GB Everdrive X7 arrived before the weekend! First thing I played was Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge and it was pretty good! Currently doing Wario Land 2 now.

The Everdrive is amazing. When I first powered it on I could feel my life changing lol. Hoping to find some new favorites but in the meantime there's tons of games I've been wanting to revisit for a long time.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
GB Everdrive X7 arrived before the weekend! First thing I played was Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge and it was pretty good! Currently doing Wario Land 2 now.

The Everdrive is amazing. When I first powered it on I could feel my life changing lol. Hoping to find some new favorites but in the meantime there's tons of games I've been wanting to revisit for a long time.
Nice, congrats!

May I ask where you are located? Generally of course, I don't want your specific location. I ask because I'm (un)patiently waiting for my Mega Everdrive. I emailed them last week and they said a lot of people still have yet to receive their ED's. I bought a couple in 2016 on Black Friday and got them before Christmas.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like screen mods are really popular, has anyone worked on a sound mod to improve the awful sound quality?