• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I want to pick up the two Advance Wars GBA games. These games are kinda popular and not super cheap so I was wondering if bootlegs are a concern for these two. Had an issue a while ago with getting a bootleg copy of the Castlevania AoS/HoD double pak on Amazon and now I'm a bit cautious with GBA stuff.

At least it's not Pokemon. I don't know how anyone would safely buy those anymore.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
The first Advance Wars I grabbed off eBay was bootleg about 17 years ago or so, label askew & it says Nintondo on the back!

crafton

Oct 28, 2017
I want to pick up the two Advance Wars GBA games. These games are kinda popular and not super cheap so I was wondering if bootlegs are a concern for these two. Had an issue a while ago with getting a bootleg copy of the Castlevania AoS/HoD double pak on Amazon and now I'm a bit cautious with GBA stuff.

At least it's not Pokemon. I don't know how anyone would safely buy those anymore.

I've seen a bunch on Ebay usually from sellers based in Asia.
Most fakes on Ebay are really easy to spot too I've not come across any fakes which have been able to get the 'Gameboy Advance' Logo correct on the cartridge yet, so you should be able to filter a bunch of them out just by looking at the picture.

Edit: Wow just checking the prices on Ebay, they've flown up in the last year I got a boxed and complete copy of Advance wars 1 for £12.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nwUMkd8.jpg

GOAT handheld.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a backlight and bivert chip from Handheld Legend. I was already really nervous as I have only just received my first soldering iron and have never used it yet, but after seeing how tiny these components are I am utterly terrified lol. I really don't want to break this game boy trying to trick it out lol, but at least this was a donor console from a friend and I have several other game boys I can play. Wish me luck! Will post results once I get around to doing it, probably later this week.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a backlight and bivert chip from Handheld Legend. I was already really nervous as I have only just received my first soldering iron and have never used it yet, but after seeing how tiny these components are I am utterly terrified lol. I really don't want to break this game boy trying to trick it out lol, but at least this was a donor console from a friend and I have several other game boys I can play. Wish me luck! Will post results once I get around to doing it, probably later this week.

Good luck! :) The whole soldering is why I can't mod my GBA even though I want to :P

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
For what it's worth modding a GBA with a backlight was my first soldering job and found it to be incredibly easy after watching a YouTube tutorial. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird question: is there any chance of getting fake cartridges for the motion control games, like Wario Ware Twisted and Yoshi's Topsy Turvey?

Reason being, I'm an obessive Mario fan, but I returned Yoshi's Topsy Turvey as a kid because I thought it was pretty trashy, making it the only Mario universe platformer I never finished. Now that I'm hyped for Crafted World, I've been going through the whole series, and realized I don't have this game anymore. So despite hating it, I wanna beat it just so I can say I did :P

(P.S.: Wario Ware Twisted was fucking excellent though)

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a weird question: is there any chance of getting fake cartridges for the motion control games, like Wario Ware Twisted and Yoshi's Topsy Turvey?

Reason being, I'm an obessive Mario fan, but I returned Yoshi's Topsy Turvey as a kid because I thought it was pretty trashy, making it the only Mario universe platformer I never finished. Now that I'm hyped for Crafted World, I've been going through the whole series, and realized I don't have this game anymore. So despite hating it, I wanna beat it just so I can say I did :P

(P.S.: Wario Ware Twisted was fucking excellent though)

I'd say the chances of fakes on those games are very slim. The amount of parts/work it would take to assemble such a thing probably isn't worth the selling price.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I just bought a copy of LTTP for the GBA. I think its authentic. Seller has a good rating, the label and cart both show wear and look real to my eye. If it's fake, no big deal it was only $14 and eBay is really good about refunding fakes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gameboy-Ad...rksid=p2501496.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc
It's one of my favorite games, and a top 3 Zelda game. BOTW was your first right? You should play LTTP next, I think you'll like it.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
i just bought LTTP too! Finished Link's Awakening last week and was hungry for more, got it at Disc Replay for $12.99

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Seriously considering liquidating my Game Boy Advance collection, as I haven't played any of it in ages.

I have a Classic NES Game Boy Advance SP and a Famicom Game Boy Micro, both of which are practically new. I only unsealed the NES GBASP once when purchasing it just to check for dead pixels (a unit I had purchased months early was riddled with them), but otherwise it hasn't seen any use, and the Famicom Micro has similarly only seen a few minutes of use, as I'm scared to death of scratching the faceplate on the thing with no way to replace it.

Anyone know the value of those? I assume I'd be selling the GBA SP as "New" and the Famicom Micro as "Like New"

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously considering liquidating my Game Boy Advance collection, as I haven't played any of it in ages.

I have a Classic NES Game Boy Advance SP and a Famicom Game Boy Micro, both of which are practically new. I only unsealed the NES GBASP once when purchasing it just to check for dead pixels (a unit I had purchased months early was riddled with them), but otherwise it hasn't seen any use, and the Famicom Micro has similarly only seen a few minutes of use, as I'm scared to death of scratching the faceplate on the thing with no way to replace it.

Anyone know the value of those? I assume I'd be selling the GBA SP as "New" and the Famicom Micro as "Like New"
https://www.pricecharting.com/

Do you plan to sell on eBay?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Anyone here use rechargeable batteries on a backlit DMG? I just picked some up and for some reason they aren't working. GB powers on fine with normal batteries, never had any power issues, but the rechargeables, fully charged, aren't getting so much as a slight blip of activity when I power on. The charger I got also detects bad batteries and didn't alert me so they should be in fine shape, but I haven't had a chance to try them in anything else yet.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone here use rechargeable batteries on a backlit DMG? I just picked some up and for some reason they aren't working. GB powers on fine with normal batteries, never had any power issues, but the rechargeables, fully charged, aren't getting so much as a slight blip of activity when I power on. The charger I got also detects bad batteries and didn't alert me so they should be in fine shape, but I haven't had a chance to try them in anything else yet.
4 normal batteries = 6V (1.5V x 4)
4 rechargeable batteries = 4.8V (1.2V x 4)

It's probably that.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I read that the game boy can operate safely anywhere from 3-7v and have accounts from the gb subreddit of people using the very same batteries with the same backlit DMG setup as I have, so I'm starting to think I may have a bad batch or something. It could also be the flash cart I'm using is putting it over the top, I'll have to try without the cart in when I get a sec.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read that the game boy can operate safely anywhere from 3-7v and have accounts from the gb subreddit of people using the very same batteries with the same backlit DMG setup as I have, so I'm starting to think I may have a bad batch or something. It could also be the flash cart I'm using is putting it over the top, I'll have to try without the cart in when I get a sec.

I've honestly been having a very similar issue. I have a backlit OG GBA, EZFlash Omega flash cart, rechargeable batteries, as well as a NUBY power adapter that puts out 3v.

With regular Duracell AA batteries and official Nintendo carts, the battery indicator light stays green for a substantial amount of time. With the flash cart, the light stays green for maybe an hour before going red.

Rechargeable batteries - battery indicator light goes red pretty much instantly, even on a full charge. 50% of the times I've tried to use the flash cart and the rechargeable batteries, the batteries "die" during saving or loading and the kernel on the flash cart gets corrupted and I have to reset everything. Very frustrating.

Adapter - Barely works at all. Flash cart won't even power up. With official Nintendo carts, the games will play but there will be a constant humming/buzzing noise and random resets.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
4 normal batteries = 6V (1.5V x 4)
4 rechargeable batteries = 4.8V (1.2V x 4)

It's probably that.
Nah, OG gameboys run fine on as little as 3V, which is why you can run 4 AA's for 20 hours on a vanilla system with a regular cart.
I've honestly been having a very similar issue. I have a backlit OG GBA, EZFlash Omega flash cart, rechargeable batteries, as well as a NUBY power adapter that puts out 3v.
Sounds like the 5v regulator isn't supplying enough power. Could be a natural part of the system's aging, or an original SP 101 screen which is a touch more power hungry than chinese 'knock offs'. I mean, at the end of the day you are pulling a lot more voltage out of the system than it was designed to. Flash carts alone can double the power draw of a system, and then tossing the screen on top of it could just be too much for it.

I would guess something similar is going on here, though this sounds more like genuine hardware starting to fail. Running my backlit OG with an everdrive on 4 offbrand rechargable AA's without issue.

I'd have to do some research to remember which exactly, but I know for a fact that either the very early, or very late models had cheaper hardware used on the regulator daughter board. Not only is it prone to not putting out enough juice on the 5v line, it has been known to overheat/self destruct. When you do have regular batteries in and it is working, does the left side of the console (as in the side closest to the D-pad) in any way heat or warm up to the touch?

It's really hard to just blame the batteries in this case since, as I mentioned above, the OG gameboy can handle running on extremely low voltages compared to the amount of batteries it uses.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Nah, OG gameboys run fine on as little as 3V, which is why you can run 4 AA's for 20 hours on a vanilla system with a regular cart.

Sounds like the 5v regulator isn't supplying enough power. Could be a natural part of the system's aging, or an original SP 101 screen which is a touch more power hungry than chinese 'knock offs'. I mean, at the end of the day you are pulling a lot more voltage out of the system than it was designed to. Flash carts alone can double the power draw of a system, and then tossing the screen on top of it could just be too much for it.

I would guess something similar is going on here, though this sounds more like genuine hardware starting to fail. Running my backlit OG with an everdrive on 4 offbrand rechargable AA's without issue.

I'd have to do some research to remember which exactly, but I know for a fact that either the very early, or very late models had cheaper hardware used on the regulator daughter board. Not only is it prone to not putting out enough juice on the 5v line, it has been known to overheat/self destruct. When you do have regular batteries in and it is working, does the left side of the console (as in the side closest to the D-pad) in any way heat or warm up to the touch?

It's really hard to just blame the batteries in this case since, as I mentioned above, the OG gameboy can handle running on extremely low voltages compared to the amount of batteries it uses.
Never noticed the unit heating up at all, nope. I ended up returning the rechargables and going back to standard Duracells and everything is working just fine still with the Everdrive and backlight going. If i had the means I would have tested the batteries individually but I was just kinda over it.

Incidentally, the "official" installation vid for BennVenn's drop in GBC backlight mod "Freckle Shack" is out and it looks really great. The store listing says a price drop is expected in May so I'll wait until then, though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Incidentally, the "official" installation vid for BennVenn's drop in GBC backlight mod "Freckle Shack" is out and it looks really great. The store listing says a price drop is expected in May so I'll wait until then, though.
That's awesome, I will have a few gbc around that I hadn't finished because of bad front light installs (and rechargable modded). Thanks for the info.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I realize I made a similar post on this very page, whoops.

Here's what I posted:
Well, I'm midway through clearing out my Dreamcast and PSP collections and now I'm turning my attention to my GBA collection. I'm thinking of keeping it, but my big hangup is probably my Classic NES SP GBA I have.

I opened it once at purchase way back in in 2003 to check for dead pixels as a prior model I bought had one or two, but otherwise it hasn't been touched and is basically "New."

I'm torn between keeping it and selling it, as it's worth seemingly $200 at a minimum, but with the NES being my favorite console of all time and being a huge fixture in my childhood, I'm just as tempted to open it and enjoy it.

I have a "standard" Game Boy Micro that I use and a Famicom micro as well that is in a similar situation...untouched in box. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: Fuck it, opened the GBA SP. Gonna pop it on the charge and play a bit. I wonder if I still have my headphone adapter still around somewhere.

What's the situation on Game Boy Micro faceplates from third parties? If I could get a third party clone of the Famicom faceplate (or even a similar shade of red or maybe gold) I wouldn't mind playing my Famicom Micro since I could then keep the original one pristine.

Edit 2: Man this screen is way dimmer than I remember, but it's possible I've just been spoiled by the Micro.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I knew I had the parts lying around somewhere (or hoped I still did, I did some spring cleaning and threw away a lot of broken machines as well as bits and pieces)

57308540_10159119436731515_8078483972222353408_n.jpg

So I think I have my project for next weekend! Though I'm debating since this will likely be my last one in a long time if I should just splurge and get a whole new case instead of just restoring it and putting the yellow backlight/bivert in.

This is how the last one I did looked after a full restore then bivert
tqhKKYz.jpg

I also still have a bunch of li-on chargers that I've done practically nothing with (besides some experiments on a GBC). Might go all out and make it a rechargable while I'm at it.

Last edited:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got mad nostalgia foe the Gameboy Pocket even though I never owned one. Something about the design just speaks to me. I've got a GBA SAP 101 but I really don't like playing original GB games on it.

I'm picking up the GBP tonight and I'm going to replace the shell and put in a glass screen to replace the stock plastic one. I'm very tempted to try the back light mod but I have no idea where to start. It's a bit intimidating, I haven't soldered in a long time.

Any tips for that mod?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I've got mad nostalgia foe the Gameboy Pocket even though I never owned one. Something about the design just speaks to me. I've got a GBA SAP 101 but I really don't like playing original GB games on it.

I'm picking up the GBP tonight and I'm going to replace the shell and put in a glass screen to replace the stock plastic one. I'm very tempted to try the back light mod but I have no idea where to start. It's a bit intimidating, I haven't soldered in a long time.

Any tips for that mod?
It's a little trickier on a pocket than on a DMG, but if you have experience soldering that part should be easy enough.

The things that make it tricky are:

A) The ribbon cable on the pocket screen is super delicate and arranged in such a way that you can tear or otherwise damage it when trying to peel the polarizing/reflective layers from the back of the LCD.

and

B) The pocket runs on AAA batteries and things get a little finicky when you add another part in the mix drawing on some of that power. People report issues with backlight flickering and flash carts not working. The most common solution for this problem I have seen is to install a 5V regulator to help manage the power. (tutorial here. the part about the bivert is up to you, i personally don't really think the pocket needs it. also there are now pocket-specific bivert chips that make the job easier, this video uses the DMG model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOtKcprt7Y&feature=youtu.be )

I absolutely love the Pocket as well but these issues were too intimidating for me, as a novice modder. I reshelled mine and called it a day. Seen some super cool modded ones though, so if you are up to the challenge I say go for it!

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little trickier on a pocket than on a DMG, but if you have experience soldering that part should be easy enough.

The things that make it tricky are:

A) The ribbon cable on the pocket screen is super delicate and arranged in such a way that you can tear or otherwise damage it when trying to peel the polarizing/reflective layers from the back of the LCD.

and

B) The pocket runs on AAA batteries and things get a little finicky when you add another part in the mix drawing on some of that power. People report issues with backlight flickering and flash carts not working. The most common solution for this problem I have seen is to install a 5V regulator to help manage the power. (tutorial here. the part about the bivert is up to you, i personally don't really think the pocket needs it. also there are now pocket-specific bivert chips that make the job easier, this video uses the DMG model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOtKcprt7Y&feature=youtu.be )

I absolutely love the Pocket as well but these issues were too intimidating for me, as a novice modder. I reshelled mine and called it a day. Seen some super cool modded ones though, so if you are up to the challenge I say go for it!

Thanks for the link, I'm going to think about it some more. I think the reshell should suffice for now.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Want to cross post this from the GB modding thread, for my GB buddies subbed to this thread:

One day I'm gonna bust out all of my Game Boys and take a picture. I feel like sending off my GBC (frontlit) to get fitted with a backlight. I think someone in GAF once mentioned that it's possible to get a backlight in there now.
GUYS! I did it, got my GBC modded with a GBA SP 101 screen from Jelly Belly Customs in the UK.

GET READY FOR SOME TOTALLY HOT, NSFW GBC PICS:

Looks lovely in person and I like how the transparent case allows me to see the cart art. I can't find my Wario Land 1 cart, sadly. Also, my Mario Land 2 cart isn't working, so going to have to give it a good clean.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Want to cross post this from the GB modding thread, for my GB buddies subbed to this thread:

GUYS! I did it, got my GBC modded with a GBA SP 101 screen from Jelly Belly Customs in the UK.

Looks lovely in person and I like how the transparent case allows me to see the cart art. I can't find my Wario Land 1 cart, sadly. Also, my Mario Land 2 cart isn't working, so going to have to give it a good clean.

I'm going to report this post, this is truly NSFW! D:

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

Beautiful. <3

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Boxed metroid sent missing is a little pricey... Will probably get tho.

I do have fusions tho. This is my first metroid experience - is it OK to play fusions or should I wait for zero mission?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Boxed metroid sent missing is a little pricey... Will probably get tho.

I do have fusions tho. This is my first metroid experience - is it OK to play fusions or should I wait for zero mission?
Honestly, Fusion is probably the better Metroid to start off with. It's much more linear, so it's more of a straight action game with secrets. You don't have to worry about not getting the story or anything, Metroid games have them but they are window dressing. As long as you know that Samus is a bounty hunter, and that there is a Federation which acts as a multiplanet government and pirates who are... well... pirates... you have all of the story information you NEED to know to play.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Fusion is probably the better Metroid to start off with. It's much more linear, so it's more of a straight action game with secrets. You don't have to worry about not getting the story or anything, Metroid games have them but they are window dressing. As long as you know that Samus is a bounty hunter, and that there is a Federation which acts as a multiplanet government and pirates who are... well... pirates... you have all of the story information you NEED to know to play.
I might just do that then, I know the metroid lore basics and Fusion does look pretty fun. Seems like it has a tense atmosphere too.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Welp, my micro's screen is shitting out. Gonna open it up and see if I can figure out what's wrong, hopefully it's just a loose ribbon cable or something minor. Worst case scenario the screens are pretty cheap iirc.

Speaking of micros, does anyone have any recommended sellers of new faceplates? I hear some of them are sort of cloudy and I def don't want that.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could find a classy way to store my carts where it's easy to thumb through them.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a local shop who solders and had them replace the save battery on my copy of Donkey Kong. Pretty excited since it's a great game and cost me $8 (game was free).

I've been building a drawer to house my collection and should have some pics this week.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a copy of Mole Mania that wasnt $25 so I'm pretty excited. Getting closer to rounding out my Gameboy game collection. Have some more on the way as well, I'll try and take a pic this weekend.