• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
VOctAoh.jpg

crafton

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing a bit of clean up on some GBA carts I purchased recently.
When taking the carts apart I noticed that there are numbers printed on the inside of the back panel, these numbers are in the format of '1=4' these numbers are different from game to game, and from when I've seen so far these are even different for the same game.
Does anyone have any idea what these numbers represent?

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Took some pictures for a Twitter thread & thought I'd post my collection here. Almost all are complete with box & instructions.
I never liked the original GB, and only started borrowing and buying games for it when the Super Game Boy came out. The lack of a backlight sucked and I had plug in lights and desk lamp to use the GBC and original GBA, but I loved the GBA SP.

The games themselves were often excellent & I bought another 20 GB/GBC/GBA games on the 3DS Eshop I didn't own physically.

tumblr_pvj1nqEcKX1xaye3qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pvj1nqEcKX1xaye3qo2_1280.jpg

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took some pictures for a Twitter thread & thought I'd post my collection here. Almost all are complete with box & instructions.
I never liked the original GB, and only started borrowing and buying games for it when the Super Game Boy came out. The lack of a backlight sucked and I had plug in lights and desk lamp to use the GBC and original GBA, but I loved the GBA SP.

The games themselves were often excellent & I bought another 20 GB/GBC/GBA games on the 3DS Eshop I didn't own physically.

Nice collection, missing some Fire Emblem though!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Lovely collection, you have there. I also have the same colour GBA, with a 101 backlight installed. My main gripe about this GBA is that I find it difficult to play the two GBA Street Fighters on it due to the tiny D-pad. So glad the GBA SP got a much better one.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wonderful collection. I should really look into backlighting my GBA(I have the same one as you). I just would rather do it myself. The other issue is my collection is much smaller so I feel it's not worth the money and I should just put it towards a GBA player so I can play on my TV instead.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I finally was able to extract my game boy camera pics!

Here are few pics I took at a family gathering a couple weeks ago. I have another GBC with pics from middle school that I need to get to later but this was a good test! I used the GBxCart RW to dump the save and extracted the pics with GBCameraDump. It was a bit more of a hassle than I would have liked since I'm a Mac user and there is not a good native solution for people who are as dumb as I am, but after an hour of googling I was able to navigate the command terminal well enough to get it working. I have a Game Boy Camera wifi printer on the way which will be a MUCH easier way to pull pics off, will post about that when it arrives.

My Freckleshack from BennVenn should also be coming pretty soon, hopefully this month. Can't wait!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The bump in this thread reminded me I still had a couple in-progress gameboys I had yet to finish.

ekCdrhX.jpg

Another damaged screen.

0Mush8e.jpg

Finished repair and bi-vert (and obviously the washed yellow backlight)

GYWRdYb.jpg

And finished product! Actually not too fancy, just went with a black case, glass screen protector, and a rainbow color changing power LED to finish it off.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... words can not describe how harrowing it was to install this new-style bivert chip for gameboy pockets...

gvqXg75.jpg

For perspective, that pocket bivert chip is smaller than my pinky nail, and those solder points are about 1mm apart. I did it, it looks a little ugly, but it's not going anywhere and it works! (before anyone comments that it's crooked, it literally would not hit the right points on the CPU if it wasn't slightly at an angle... so just a forewarning for anyone who wants to use these and I'm not alone. The Does Not Compute video on it also shows him having to turn his slightly)

Too bad I accidentally destroyed the ribbon cable for the display... so I have no working screen to show it off -_-

(edit) Another picture that gives some perspective.

maxresdefault.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
After seeing sealed Classic NES GBA SP units having sold for $500 on eBay, I'm kinda kicking myself for opening mine a few months back after owning it for 15 years in its sealed state.

I was just so worried that the battery was going to be leaking or it otherwise was going to be somehow disintegrating in the box. Ugh.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ordered some parts from RetroModding to clean-up & update my GBA SP that I've had since it came out...
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190819141015283_COVER2.jpg
...Unfortunately I hecked it up pretty bad :/ I did some soldering for the first time on this and it was to replace the L & R buttons. It was very stressful and I used a lot of heat and force on the buttons to get the old ones pulled off. Unfortunately this seemed to have permanently caused damage to one of the contacts for the R Button so it is definitely dead :(

On top of that I didn't realize that the plastic for the screen was a part of the front-light. I just thought it was meant to protect the LCD so, when I put the new glass protection in front I, in a moment of "I don't need this anymore!", snapped it in half... Yeah I am really kicking myself for that...

Suck cuz it looks so snazzy. The glacier look really fits the SP here... I got no one to blame but me though. I learned quite a bit from this so it's not all bad and I don't feel super bad since it was mine and not someone else's. Just a real shame.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just went through and snapped pictures of everything. I'll post an IMGUR gallery soon. I don't really know how to handle this...what happens if multiple folks ask for the same games, is it just first come first serve?

Here's a few fun photos in the meantime.

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Just went through and snapped pictures of everything. I'll post an IMGUR gallery soon. I don't really know how to handle this...what happens if multiple folks ask for the same games, is it just first come first serve?

Here's a few fun photos in the meantime.

Really up to you, but in general FCFS is the fairest way to go. If someone expresses interest, you can say they have 24 hours to confirm/send payment or the item will go to the next person.

Definitely don't sell to another bidder once you agreed to sell to someone - bad business practice.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting SO impatient for my freckleshack to arrive 😭
it's already been delayed once but it was supposed to come out this week. look how pretty my case is... (excuse blurry pic lol)
dVGS9WY.jpg

Also waiting for IPS screen my solid indigo/clear button GBA

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hey ladies and gents, apologies for the delay in response in regards to selling my collection earlier in the week. Figured I'd post them here before posting them in the B/S/T thread and then onto eBay. Here's the full details:

All but six of the games include the packaging manuals, and other inserts. The only thing that has been lost to time are the little clear plastic baggies that the carts would have shipped in, which stinks because I made a assurances to put those in a safe place.

Though they're not shown in the majority of the pictures all of the boxes include the white "insert" that holds the cartridge and gives the box some form. I'd prefer to ship these with the boxes flattened as shown in the photographs so there's less chance of them getting damaged in shipment, but if you'd like me to reassemble them, I sure can.

All of the boxes are in great shape with the exception of "Capcom Classics Collection" which I actually bought new from a K-Mart in the late 2000s and was fairly wanged at the time of purchase.

The following prices don't include shipping, though I'm I'll likely cut a you a deal of sorts, especially if you're buying a few. I'm open to reasonable offers as well.

The saddest thing to mention is that Drill Dozer's rumble motor appears to have gone out. Whether this can be fixed or replaced I'm not certain.

I have some ResetERA feedback on the official list, and you're welcome to view my eBay feedback as well. Thanks.

GBA Games:
Astro Boy: Omega Factor: $70
Capcom Classics Mini Mix: $20
Chu Chu Rocket: $20
Drill Dozer (Rumble Not Functioning): $60
F-Zero GP Legend: $25
Metroid Fusion: $65
Metroid Zero Mission: $90
Sonic Advance: $35
Sonic Advance 2: $35
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World: $35
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island: $35
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. $30
Warioware Twisted: $70

Loose Carts:
Donkey Kong Country 2: $10
Donkey Kong Country: $10
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: $15
Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3: $12
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: $5

Last edited:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
God damn I wish I had 70 bones to toss at Astro Boy right now. Someone jump on that quick, amaaaazing GBA game

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Too expensive for my taste, for the games I'm missing, but best wishes for selling them. I hope they go to a good home. The buyer will no doubt get hours of fun from these.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Hey ladies and gents, apologies for the delay in response in regards to selling my collection earlier in the week. Figured I'd post them here before posting them in the B/S/T thread and then onto eBay. Here's the full details:

Please note the the copy of Super Mario Bros. displayed on the GBA SP is for display only and not included.

I have a total of 24 GBA games to sell plus a "Classic NES" Game Boy Advance SP. All but six of the games include the packaging manuals, and other inserts. The only thing that has been lost to time are the little clear plastic baggies that the carts would have shipped in, which stinks because I made a assurances to put those in a safe place.

Though they're not shown in the majority of the pictures all of the boxes include the white "insert" that holds the cartridge and gives the box some form. I'd prefer to ship these with the boxes flattened as shown in the photographs so there's less chance of them getting damaged in shipment, but if you'd like me to reassemble them, I sure can.

All of the boxes are in great shape with the exception of "Capcom Classics Collection" which I actually bought new from a K-Mart in the late 2000s and was fairly wanged at the time of purchase.

The Game Boy Advance SP is practically like new and has only seen less than five hours of use. Back in 2004 when I bought one of these to use I loved it so much that I bought a spare as a backup and collectible. While the first unit has long since been sold (shortly after I bought a Nintendo DS) I still had the spare. After deciding to sell it, I recently broke the seal to make sure it still functions and that the batter hasn't leaked. Everything seems to be in working order and as far as I can tell the system holds a full charge.

The following prices don't include shipping, though I'm I'll likely cut a you a deal of sorts, especially if you're buying a few. I'm open to reasonable offers as well.

The saddest thing to mention is that Drill Dozer's rumble motor appears to have gone out. Whether this can be fixed or replaced I'm not certain.

I have some ResetERA feedback on the official list, and you're welcome to view my eBay feedback as well. Thanks.

GBA Games:
Astro Boy: Omega Factor: $70
Capcom Classics Mini Mix: $20
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon: $60
Chu Chu Rocket: $20
Drill Dozer (Rumble Not Functioning): $60
F-Zero GP Legend: $25
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams: $80
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: $40
Metroid Fusion: $65
Metroid Zero Mission: $90
Rayman 3: $15
Sonic Advance 2: $35
Sonic Advance 3: $35
Sonic Advance: $35
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World: $35
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island: $35
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. $30
Warioware Twisted: $70

Loose Carts:
Donkey Kong Country 2: $10
Donkey Kong Country: $10
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity: $10
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: $15
Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3: $12
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: $5

Classic NES Game Boy Advance SP: $200

What kind of condition are those loose carts in? I'm interested in the Donkey Kongs and Mario Advance 4.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
All seem to be holding saves without problem. Just average wear, scratches and whatnot. Anything specific you're inquiring about?
Eh, I'm just a bit hard to please when it comes to the cosmetic and working condition of games. $30 for those three games isn't bad, but I'd have to see them first. I don't suppose you could PM me some pics?

What do Game Boy Player Enhanced games actually do with the Game Boy Player in practice?

Playing through Mother 3 (!) and noticed the screen pop up before the title screen.
Now I'm wondering if it actually means anything or if it's just some marketing phrase...?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm looking to organize my games better and I wanted to get some of those customs cases for my gb/gbc/gba games. I would print the artwork myself. I was looking for something like this.

Does anyone do this or can they recommend a good case for me to use?

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd recommend these over the BitBox, but that's my personal preference.

CustomGameCases.com | retro game cases

Collector Cases for Arcade Classic Retro Console Games. CustomGameCases.com is your #1 place to get your retro video games cased up and looking good on the shelf! Offering Virtual boy, Nintendo, Gameboy, SEGA, and others! (Game Gear, VB, NES, SNES, SFC, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Mega Drive, etc.)

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Has anybody found japanese gameboy games PET case protectors? I know there is one guy on EBAY selling them but he shipping is kinda crazy from the UK to the US. Retroprotection only offers japanese GBA protectors and I've asked about the other sizes and he told me he wont be making them.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Has anybody found japanese gameboy games PET case protectors? I know there is one guy on EBAY selling them but he shipping is kinda crazy from the UK to the US. Retroprotection only offers japanese GBA protectors and I've asked about the other sizes and he told me he wont be making them.
I'd also be interested in Japanese game box protectors. I only own two CIB JP GB games (Picross 1 and 2) but I'd rather them have protectors the right size.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I'd recommend these over the BitBox, but that's my personal preference.

CustomGameCases.com | retro game cases

Collector Cases for Arcade Classic Retro Console Games. CustomGameCases.com is your #1 place to get your retro video games cased up and looking good on the shelf! Offering Virtual boy, Nintendo, Gameboy, SEGA, and others! (Game Gear, VB, NES, SNES, SFC, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Mega Drive, etc.)

Yep these DS style cases are really good.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Custom game cases seem to be the favorite here. Thanks!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I could go either way; between bitboxes and custom game cases. Bitboxes have a more solid feel then I originally expected as I thought they would feel like a cheaper version of those old Disney VHS cases, while the custom game cases cases are straight up hard plastic and fit more inline with official DS cases. So it really is what you would rather for your look. Don't think either is a bad choice.

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
So I haven't been paying attention much to the scene and now I saw there are IPS v2 screens for GBA out there and some VERY nice looking backlit GBCs out there. Are all of these happening independently or are there common suppliers? I'd love to get a backlit GBA that doesn't have the screen issues my old RCG one has (or even a nice GBC!). Any places to go look up modders/sellers?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
So I've been dumping my games using Submodule GB01 reader, but I'm wondering why the GBC saves can only be read by VisualBoyAdvance ? Every other emulator doesn't seem to detect them... Anyone has experience with this ? I'm not even talking about the dump of GBA saves which is a nightmare...