• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been dumping my games using Submodule GB01 reader, but I'm wondering why the GBC saves can only be read by VisualBoyAdvance ? Every other emulator doesn't seem to detect them... Anyone has experience with this ? I'm not even talking about the dump of GBA saves which is a nightmare...

Are the saves in a format compatible with your emulator?

Also, does the Submodule GB01 not work well to dump GBA saves? I am considering buying one, but I mostly have GBA games.

Finally, it is kind of annoying to have to spend $60+ for something that I will use for about an hour, then never touch again.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Are the saves in a format compatible with your emulator?

Also, does the Submodule GB01 not work well to dump GBA saves? I am considering buying one, but I mostly have GBA games.

Finally, it is kind of annoying to have to spend $60+ for something that I will use for about an hour, then never touch again.
Well, they are .sav files, so it should be compatible everywhere?
For GBA, it works as long as you know what kind of save file the game use and what size. The thing doesn't detect it by itself. I didn't try a lot of games yet but I think I only found the correct type and size for one game...

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Contributing to this lovely thread with my modded DMG-001.

Now that you can get a new drop-in/no solder IPS screen for the GBA I plan to build one of those in the near future

ELB6a5UW4AA0Nad

DFucphZXkAAFt11

DFucpiZXgAAI4XA

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FP has a IPS replacement screen for the GBA and SP, there's a Chinese knockoff and bennvenn is working on a version of his own. He's also working on screens for the DMG, GBC and pocket.

Check this thread.
FP? I see a drop in IPS screen for the GBA at RetroModding, but it still says it needs soldering for more brightness, just like the GBA SP screens.

I see that RetroModding has two GBC drop in backlights, one for $50 and one by McWill for $75.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
FP? I see a drop in IPS screen for the GBA at RetroModding, but it still says it needs soldering for more brightness, just like the GBA SP screens.

I see that RetroModding has two GBC drop in backlights, one for $50 and one by McWill for $75.
FP is Funnyplaying. They made the mod that retromodding sells. It's cheaper to buy it directly from then I think. Soldering is optional. It's only necessary if you want brightess control. The screen is much brighter than a 101 even if you don't solder and the screen has 4x upscaling.

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gba

Freckleshack GBC screen.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/coll...ack-pre-orders-batch-7?variant=29881069535335

It's sold out right now but he will announce when it's available again on his FB. He's also working on a new version of this.

His screens are the best you can get. I'm going to get the backlit pocket screen once it's ready.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FP is Funnyplaying. They made the mod that retromodding sells. It's cheaper to buy it directly from then I think. Soldering is optional. It's only necessary if you want brightess control. The screen is much brighter than a 101 even if you don't solder and the screen has 4x upscaling.

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gba

Freckleshack

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/coll...ack-pre-orders-batch-7?variant=29881069535335

It's sold out right now but he will announce when it's available again on his FB. He's also working on a new version of this.

His screens are the best you can get. I'm going to get the backlit pocket screen once it's ready.
Oh wow, a lot has changed since I put a 101 screen in my AGB-001 and soldered that tiny wire for greater brightness.

I'll have to get an IPS screen for my GBA (with a pre cut shell, because doing that the first time sucked ass) and an FS for my GBC then.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Oh wow, a lot has changed since I put a 101 screen in my 001 and soldered that tiny wire for greater brightness.

I'll have to get an IPS screen for my GBA (with a pre cut shell, because doing that the first time sucked ass) and an FS for my GBC then.

I bought the screen and a the pre cut shells from FP and it was very easy to install.

They also have a version for SP that you can install in any 001. So you can get a cheap 001 and put that in. It has the advantage that it removes the space thats between the plastic screen cover and the screen on the SP. It looks much nicer.

Pre cut GBA shell

GBA SP IPS

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the screen and a the pre cut shells from FP and it was very easy to install.

They also have a version for SP that you can install in any 001. So you can get a cheap 001 and put that in. It has the advantage that it removes the space thats between the plastic screen cover and the screen on the SP. It looks much nicer.

Pre cut GBA shell

GBA SP IPS
Did these guys come out of nowhere? This is some quality shit.

I'm not a fan of the SP form factor. I'm debating whether to replace my current 101 screen with the IPS or modding my second GBA with the IPS and keeping the 101 modded one as is.

How do GBC games look on the GBA IPS screen?

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Did these guys come out of nowhere? This is some quality shit.

I'm not a fan of the SP form factor. I'm debating whether to replace my current 101 screen with the IPS or modding my second GBA with the IPS and keeping the 101 modded one as is.

How do GBC games look on the GBA IPS screen?

I'd just get the GBA screen with a pre cut shell then.

GBC games look great on it. They actually use the same screen for their GBC mod. But I would recommend the freckleshack instead if you plan on modding a GBC cause it has a much lower power consumption. And V3 is supposed to be the exact same size as the GBC screen.

Here's a video of how GBC games look on the screen.

Last edited:

singo

Nov 5, 2017
Oh man, I finally caved and bought the Funnyplaying IPS v2 screen and an atomic purple shell for my GBA. Super excited for that to arrive in 4 weeks :p I am mimicking my trusty GBC's atomic purple shell and black buttons :)

The shell I bought is from Funnyplaying as well, but it sounds like the shells they sell might not be the most impressive quality. If it feels cheap, I will have to order that from somewhere else. Anybody here have any experience with them?

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Oh man, I finally caved and bought the Funnyplaying IPS v2 screen and an atomic purple shell for my GBA. Super excited for that to arrive in 4 weeks :p I am mimicking my trusty GBC's atomic purple shell and black buttons :)

The shell I bought is from Funnyplaying as well, but it sounds like the shells they sell might not be the most impressive quality. If it feels cheap, I will have to order that from somewhere else. Anybody here have any experience with them?

I got a dark purple shell from them. It's not the same quality as an original shell but it's fine. The quality of repo shells is completely random.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone else waiting for the analogue? I've been looking at buying a modded gba but there's so many to choose from analogue seems to be the easiest choice right now

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else waiting for the analogue? I've been looking at buying a modded gba but there's so many to choose from analogue seems to be the easiest choice right now
I'm waiting for it. I already have two GBA SP 101s, the OG GBA with the 101 screen and a Micro. Also a GB Color with a backlit screen. Gotta catch'em all.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Is there a site that makes/sells GameBoy Macro shells that isn't that aluminum one that stupidly expensive?

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
nah, not a Micro. A Macro is when you take the top screen off of a DS Lite and turn it into a GBA.

IMG_5803_1200x1200.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here been using the EZ Flash Omega?

I've been using the Everdrive x5 and honestly the form factor is annoying me, if the Omega is just as good as the EDx5 I might sell mine and get an Omega.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I've been using the Everdrive x5 and honestly the form factor is annoying me, if the Omega is just as good as the EDx5 I might sell mine and get an Omega.
I use an X5 and don't even notice it sticking out. It's the same size as the Drill Dozer cart so it's no big deal to me.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I use the EZ Flash Omega! Got it over the Everdrive because of the form factor first and foremost but the difference in price certainly helped sway me. Have been using it for nearly a year with no problems at all.

that said the everdrives are super high quality and I think the $100+ or whatever I spent on the X7 for GB was totally worth it.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
So I ended up importing from Japan Rockman World V as the price for Megaman V is so crazy. I know Megaman not a game to play for the story, but how much will I miss importing it beyond having to guess what the robot master moves are in the menu?

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
So I ended up importing from Japan Rockman World V as the price for Megaman V is so crazy. I know Megaman not a game to play for the story, but how much will I miss importing it beyond having to guess what the robot master moves are in the menu?

I did the same, and absolutely nothing. You can always check the story on a wiki if you really want to.

But otherwise, have fun! It's a great game!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I had a friend on vacation in Japan pick me up a copy too lol, played it a couple months ago and it was easy to figure out

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I skim through a tas for RMW5 and yeah the only thing in japanese is just the cutscenes which there is a youtube video I can always watch for that. Even the menus and robot master names are in english.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017

I'm quite happy with my EZ Flash Omega. Games load quickly, way faster than my old GBA flashcart. There's even an optional secondary shell so it will fit in a DS Lite without sticking out.

charlaten

Oct 27, 2017
Do the EZ Flash and Everdrive use emulators for GB/GBC/GBA ROMs? I'm hoping they are relatively light touch and don't potentially run into any compatibility issues (especially when I'm pining for the Analogue Pocket). I want as authentic as possible, but can't afford Ninja 5-0, Shantae, Mega Man 5, Castlevania 2 Belmont, etc.

Edit: looks like EZ Flash uses an emulator named Goomba.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I took these pics yesterday of my CIB GB/C/A Zelda games. These don't include a couple of variants I also have.

9DYHFo0l.jpg

hhOZQGil.jpg

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I look in this thread again? I was content with my black AGS-101. Sure, it doesn't have a headphone jack, and the shell is pretty beat up, but the screen is bright and beautiful, that was enough! But now, I'm seriously considering ordering a backlight modded AGB-001. Any advice for me? Reputable sellers? I'm not looking to do the mod myself, I just want to buy a beautiful backlit AGB-001, possibly with a rechargeable battery. I'll even sacrifice my AGS-101's screen if it brings down the price.

I found this store on ebay, and I checked out their instagram as well. Looks legit.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
Why did I look in this thread again? I was content with my black AGS-101. Sure, it doesn't have a headphone jack, and the shell is pretty beat up, but the screen is bright and beautiful, that was enough! But now, I'm seriously considering ordering a backlight modded AGB-001. Any advice for me? Reputable sellers? I'm not looking to do the mod myself, I just want to buy a beautiful backlit AGB-001, possibly with a rechargeable battery. I'll even sacrifice my AGS-101's screen if it brings down the price.

I found this store on ebay, and I checked out their instagram as well. Looks legit.
You should check out /r/GameboyMarketplace. The prices there are usually pretty reasonable.

These days, the 101 screen is not really the best, cheapest or easiest alternative for backlighting a GBA. The IPS v2 from Funnyplaying is all those. Pricing of a unit will likely reflect that. Both will be fine to play on, though :) Selling your SP might get you more money than what sending someone the screen would shave off the price.

Having a built-in rechargable battery is cool, but is usually pretty expensive. Using Eneloops or Ikea Ladda rechargable batteries is the recommended approach.

I'm afraid I can't offer any thoughts on specific sellers, as I built mine myself.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
You should check out /r/GameboyMarketplace. The prices there are usually pretty reasonable.

These days, the 101 screen is not really the best, cheapest or easiest alternative for backlighting a GBA. The IPS v2 from Funnyplaying is all those. Pricing of a unit will likely reflect that. Both will be fine to play on, though :) Selling your SP might get you more money than what sending someone the screen would shave off the price.

Having a built-in rechargable battery is cool, but is usually pretty expensive. Using Eneloops or Ikea Ladda rechargable batteries is the recommended approach.

I'm afraid I can't offer any thoughts on specific sellers, as I built mine myself.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm keeping an eye out, though I'm pretty vanilla with what I want; just a black or indigo unit with a backlight. Seems that a lot of modders go bit out there with their casing and button color combos.

Edit: Just looked into the IPS v2 vs AGS-101 screen, and maybe I'm just a purist, but GBA games just don't look correct to me on the higher resolution IPS screen...

Last edited:

singo

Nov 5, 2017
Edit: Just looked into the IPS v2 vs AGS-101 screen, and maybe I'm just a purist, but GBA games just don't look correct to me on the higher resolution IPS screen...

You're right, the IPS screen isn't quite the same. It is absolutely stunning (pictures don't quite do it justice) with better adjustable brightness, but the colors are more vibrant. It also has 4x (I think) the resolution, which affects the feel of the image. I like it a lot, but it's a little less true to the original.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I might actually get some extra money next week I want to put to use for GBA SP IPS screen. Since it seemingly only ships from China is there still nothing to worry about regarding the Corona Virus situation? I would hate for my package to get lost or held up.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Just found my Famicom Micro. Apparently it's worth a lot more money now than it was when it was first released.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My GBA SP has stopped playing GBA games. The image link shows all that happens when I try to play one. Seems to go into GB mode for some reason. It plays GBC games just fine though. Anyone had this problem and know whats wrong/how to fix it?

Tried multiple GBA games with the sane result, all of which work fine in my other GBA.

SuperNHG64

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
My GBA SP has stopped playing GBA games. The image link shows all that happens when I try to play one. Seems to go into GB mode for some reason. It plays GBC games just fine though. Anyone had this problem and know whats wrong/how to fix it?

Tried multiple GBA games with the sane result, all of which work fine in my other GBA.

Looks like it's in GBC mode, check if the button in the cart slot got stuck.