• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I just love the look of these games. I grew up playing Game Boy (Color) so this is way more nostalgic for me than NES-graphics. One of the reasons I am looking forward to Save me Mr. Tako! so much is the fact that that game emulates the style really well.

Also, Wario Land 3 is super slick. I really need to get back into that game.

If Nintendo would release a GBC Classic I would be all over that.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Loved my yellow GBC as a kid <3

Pokemon Silver, Warioland, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 <3

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DEwblfB.png

LlRAiMe.jpg

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My first console ever. My older sister got it for Christmas, I don't remember what year it was, but I used it a lot more than her in the long run. Yellow GBC with Pokémon Blue, that was better than drugs.
I don't know how I lived with having to buy batteries but I don't remember them bothering me too much somehow lol

I still have to call the Switch a GameBoy to make my family understand what I'm talking about, it'll never leave me.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I never owned a Game Boy Color or the original Game Boy. My first handheld was the Atari Lynx and my first Nintendo handheld was the original DS.

That said, I would've loved to have had the Camerica / BDL Express -- A color portable NES -- if it ever released, in 1991.

SvAN6fc.jpg

NV2x2lx.jpg

giGH9T6.jpg

Pbq3jgF.jpg

adB6ZAl.jpg

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I was huge into StarCraft around 1998, played it a ton with friends. So when this hit, I bought it. RTS on the GBC published by Nintendo

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
My first handheld. Been playing a lot of Pokemon Pinball lately when I'm bored. On the GBA SP ofc because of the backlight.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I was huge into StarCraft around 1998, played it a ton with friends. So when this hit, I bought it. RTS on the GBC published by Nintendo

I'm shocked anyone even remembers this game!

There was a lot of weird shit with the special wizards who you had to point and infrared tv remote at your GBC's eye to unlock.

I remember that Nintendo Power had me incredibly hyped for this game. I don't even think I understood what an RTS was at the time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A Purple Game Boy Color was the first video game console I ever owned. It was my most precious belonging and I took extreme care of it. I remember getting to pick out the color I wanted and everything at the PX that faithful weekend. Spent hundreds of hours playing Pokemon games alone on that thing.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
The Color was my very first handheld device so I have very fond memories of it, I remember having a blast with Game & Watch Gallery 3, Pokémon Pinball and some Winnie the Pooh game that I used to enjoy a lot as a kid, sadly it broke and I couldn't recover it until like 6 years later as part of the collection.

Didn't really use it that much though as I was (and still am) mainly a console gamer and I didn't really get into the Pokémon mainline series until around the DS era with Diamond and Pearl.

Is the GBC somewhat of a hardware revision like the New 3DS or was It considered a part of the mainline series of handheld and a Successor of the Game Boy? That has always confused me as people usually go GB>GBC>GBA but not DS>3DS>N3DS.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually thought it was older

Same. But only by a few months. I thought it came out in Spring or mid 1998, like a lot of Nintendo's handhelds and handheld revisions do.

Anyways, mine was pretty special for me since it was one of my first game systems, but it basically ended up just being a Pokemon machine. Still put hundreds of hours into it for that purpose alone though, G/S/C is one of my most played games ever to this day probably.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
My dumbass asked for a Game Boy Pocket right before this thing released, so there was no way to convince my parents to get me a GBC lol. However I ended up experiencing its library a little later on when GBA released due to BC. Even though GBC was only active for a few years it felt like it was a really crucial nostalgic time for games in my life. I think that was around when I was reading game magazines monthly and really getting into the hobby.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the lime green one and Pokemon Blue. And later a couple other games. But Pokemon was the big thing back then and I played a lot if for a year or two. I remember when my friend told me that we could trade Pokemon through a link cable, I was like "whaaaaat show me!". Mind blown. And I remember my dad murmuring at grocery stores how expensive those games are and we would always go a route to avoid the games section haha.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Game Boy Color yet another nice stop in the Game Boy train from 1989 to 2001. The upgrade to color and the way smoother animation was very cool, and Game Boy stayed interesting for an additional 2 years or so. I wish they'd have come out with this model in like...1997 or something so that it could've had a full run as the top portable dog. As it stands, I had one and enjoyed it...but really I was waiting for the glory of the Game Boy Advance series.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is the GBC somewhat of a hardware revision like the New 3DS or was It considered a part of the mainline series of handheld and a Successor of the Game Boy? That has always confused me as people usually go GB>GBC>GBA but not DS>3DS>N3DS.

It's kind of blurred because the GBC got way more exclusive and notable games than the New 3DS (or DSi) has, and colour was obviously a very obvious differentiator for some non-exclusive games, rather than subtle things like faster loading times on a New 3DS.

Nintendo groups it with the original Game Boy in their sales totalsthough, so that probably says a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
Got translucent purple for Christmas from my grandparents when I was ten, along with an N64 w/ Mario 64 from my parents for my brother and I. Winter vacation was a fun one that year.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
My first ever video game console. I got Pokemon Red to play for road trips and thus began my longstanding addiction. <3

Oct 29, 2017
The Color was my very first handheld device so I have very fond memories of it, I remember having a blast with Game & Watch Gallery 3, Pokémon Pinball and some Winnie the Pooh game that I used to enjoy a lot as a kid, sadly it broke and I couldn't recover it until like 6 years later as part of the collection.

Didn't really use it that much though as I was (and still am) mainly a console gamer and I didn't really get into the Pokémon mainline series until around the DS era with Diamond and Pearl.

The GBC is to the GB, what the DSi was to the DS and the N3DS was to the 3DS. Both in a figurative sense and in a literal sense (all three systems saw almost exactly the same hardware bump; double the RAM and CPU power, along with at least one unique hardware gimmick each).

The GBC is a hardware revision of the original GB and is not a unique console in its own right. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

People are dumb though and discount exclusive downloadable games, pretending that they don't exist; as if they're not real games, so they don't realise that the exclusive libraries of each system are actually very comparable in terms of size. Also GBC was first, so people like to pretend that it was somehow different.

This is a real pet peeve of mine in case you couldn't tell!

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
You had the transparent purple or you never had a gameboy colour at all.

Also, you spelled colour wrong, op.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really sobering reminder of how much has changed between my childhood and my childrens'. My stepson is 9 and got a Nintendo Switch last Christmas. I was rocking a GBC at this point 20 years ago.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
GBC was my first handheld. I got one as a gift for Pokemon. I played a ton of Grand Theft Auto on it as well. The screen never really bothered me but I guess it was because I almost always played it outside.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
GameBoy color was my first ever gaming device, gift from my grandma. Had the limited edition Pikachu and Pichu one. You could say it started my whole gaming career.

s-l300.jpg

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Not directly related but I really hope we see a Game Boy Classic with color titles and I really hope it includes one of the Tetris titles. I played SO much tetris on the gameboy lol.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The GBC is to the GB, what the DSi was to the DS and the N3DS was to the 3DS. Both in a figurative sense and in a literal sense (all three systems saw almost exactly the same hardware bump; double the RAM and CPU power, along with at least one unique hardware gimmick each).

The GBC is a hardware revision of the original GB and is not a unique console in its own right. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

People are dumb though and discount exclusive downloadable games, pretending that they don't exist; as if they're not real games, so they don't realise that the exclusive libraries of each system are actually very comparable in terms of size. Also GBC was first, so people like to pretend that it was somehow different.

Disagree. When GBC was released Nintendo treated it as a complete replacement: all previous Gameboy console distribution was immediately stopped (in the US at least), unlike DSi and n3DS. And GBC was clearly more powerful even than an NES, with more internal features than just "faster CPU/more memory" and that power let developers push the system *way* beyond what old Gameboy could do (example, game cartridges could be twice the size of old Gameboy games). And after a few months developers stopped making games without color support, and started transitioning towards GBC-exclusive games, to a point where no old Gameboy-compatible games were made anymore, something that didn't happen for DSi or n3DS. Also, Nintendo put a HUGE advertising campaign behind it, much more than DSi and New 3DS (DSi Nintendo even tried to hide the extra power from consumers, only talking up the camera, digital store and form factor).

And sure, those DSi eShop games were "exclusive", only because of the distribution method; only a small percentage took advantage of the DSi's extra capabilities. And many were small games that would never have been sold as separate exclusive cartridge games, unlike the GBC's exclusive games.

And of course, going from 4 shades of grey per screen to 52 colors per screen is as big a jump as 2D to 3D, especially when developers could use tricks to increase that to thousands of colors per screen.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
It's kind of blurred because the GBC got way more exclusive and notable games than the New 3DS (or DSi) has, and colour was obviously a very obvious differentiator for some non-exclusive games, rather than subtle things like faster loading times on a New 3DS.

Nintendo groups it with the original Game Boy in their sales totalsthough, so that probably says a lot.

For Nintendo it's a revision.

Thank you all for the clarification. I did perceive it as weird when people when along with the Nintendo handheld series as G&W>GB>GBC>GBA>DS>3DS while excluding DSI and N3DS in the mix.

I guess some people want to pretend to classify GBC as a different console due to the long time span between it and the original GB (1989-1998) when compared to DS-DSi (2004-2009) and 3DS-N3DS (2011-2014). As well as for to make up for the lack of a complementary handheld to the N64 when compared to SNES-GB and GCN-GBA.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I think I owned the purple transparent one and then transitioned to the glacier 'purple' transparent GBA. Looking back, it probably didn't matter what colour it was. While I can't say I had a considerable library for GBC, I know that I kept playing all of the games I had on GBA - so probably Pokemon, Spiderman, Wario Land 3 and the Zelda games off the top of my head.

Seriously wish I knew about Ghost Babel during my childhood though, I only played it recently and while it was more puzzle based than I expected I really loved the general stealth and VR.