• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
We all have games and devs that we recognize are quality even though we don't personally enjoy them. So what are yours?

I have a TON of respect for Codemasters.

I'm not really a racing fan but I love their style and attitude and unwavering dedication to the racing genre despite it being relatively niche these days. Their games also seem to be consistently very good and don't need to sell millions and millions to be profitable. Just a smart, like-able company!

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Everything Platinum makes. I love watching Let's Plays of them and have bought a few myself but they're too emasculating for the likes of me.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
Naughty Dog.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Technically their games are a marvel but the gameplay usually isn't there for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldve said Naughty Dog post Uncharted 2 before I played TLOU which I really enjoyed. Undeniably very dedicated to their craft and excel in pretty much every mark but the Uncharted games dont really hit for me.

Now I guess CCP Games, the developers of Eve Online A fascinating game and case study that I never, ever want to play.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Ubisoft. I enjoy that they take time to listen to fans and also see some of the passion in projects from their devs, but all their games definitely have a specific feel to them that doesn't mesh with me.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Platinum indeed. I really don't care for any game they've made aside from Nier which has Yoko's influence but stuff like Vanquish, Bayonetta and Scalebound (rip), are things I consider to be good to have in the AAA space from what I've heard is a bit of a mid-AAA developer (that nearly could've gone defunct recently!!) -- I may not care for their signature style, the fast "instant-gratification" sort of combat that gets boring 10 minutes after initially looking impressive, but you don't see many other developers do what they do.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard. Have no interest in any of their games but there's clearly a well-built structure there that results in them releasing good game after good game.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all the Sony first party studios. I look to them to see the great technical achievements in gaming and use them as a bar for how far a console can be pushed in a generation. Unfortunately I rarely find their games to be fun. Horizon looks fun though, so I'll try that out when the complete edition releases.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Rockstar

I respect their output but can't get into any of their games despite trying multiple times. And their damn dot reticule!

Naughty dog

I play their games to completion but they are just ok for me. I won't ever replay any of them (exept maybe their plaformers)

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swery.

I love his ideas and vision, but, the games themselves are absolutely dreadful to try and play.

I hope he never stops making games, but, I also hope he learns how to make a good one, someday.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Surprised to see Blizzard posts in here that aren't me, actually. Not a fan of their games but respect that they're good for the people who enjoy them.

ninecubed

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with Blizzard, too -

They definitely make well-crafted, quality titles, but I just can't seem to get into them. Diablo 3 was fun with friends briefly on PS4, but really I haven't gotten into one of their games since Brood War / Diablo II.

jeffrockz312

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo.

I just can't enjoy majority their games. I'm just tired of mascots.

I do enjoy some of their games. The Last Story is pretty good.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog. Commendable social commentary, their games are not for me though. Latest harassment allegations are also very concerning.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Naughty Dog.

Both Uncharted and Last of Us look phenomenal and are beautifully crafted, but I've never made it more than an hour or so into either title. I just think the gameplay is terrible.

Rockstar - I actively dislike their games. Control terribly and are largely unpleasant.

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
Capcom, because as of today they are basically just MonHan-, Resi- and Bemu-only.

I love the Ace Attorney-series among a lot of their other games, though.

Last edited:

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
cd projekt -- i've tried every witcher and they bore me to tears, but i'm in love with the general premise, art, lore, etc... and happy that they see such success.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo.

I have never been a Nintendo guy and I don't see myself ever being one, their games are just not my type. But Nintendo produces what are obviously very high quality products that a lot of people enjoy playing. Respect for being consistent and obviously about the fun of the game, as opposed to the corporate culture that is going around in gaming industry.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Rockstar, Blizzard, Bungie.

Impressive franchises, but they don't grab me much.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
One more for Platinum Games here. They output some fantastic action games with plenty of style and substance, I just can't end up getting into their games.

Really enjoyed the Nier Automata demo though and I'm more than willing to try again when that hits the right price for me, probably bite the next time it's on sale over here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I have a TON of respect for Codemasters.

I'm not really a racing fan but I love their style and attitude and unwavering dedication to the racing genre despite it being relatively niche these days. Their games also seem to be consistently very good and don't need to sell millions and millions to be profitable. Just a smart, like-able company!

I came to basically post this...I'm not a sim/arcade-sim racer guy, but I have bought several of their racing games in an attempt to force feed their games to myself in hopes that I would like them...didn't work but I do enjoy the games and recognize how polished they are.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog. Commendable social commentary, their games are not for me though. Latest harassment allegations are also very concerning.

What? just because a company got 1-2 scums doesn't mean much there will always be bad people everywhere what matters is if the leadership took steps to solve the issues or not, as far i as i remember Sony+ND tried to look what happened but there was never an official complaint so its not like they tried to hide it but what do you expect them to do honestly? i too would never ever support them if they didn't try to fix the problems so lets be fair here

About the thread topic my answer would be Blizzard, they are focused at multiplayer mostly which is not my thing but like how they work

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Polyphony Digital - They create some beautiful looking, technical games but I have zero interest in learning to play them. I enjoy a good arcade racer.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft. They kinda feel like your dad's videogame company these days, but I do recognize the value of a lot of the things they offer to consumers, as a business.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
From Software. I hate playing Dark Souls games but can appreciate what they're doing.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo - outside fire emblem which I like, a lot of their games are high quality which can be clearly seen but they are just not for me. I feel like I have outgrown them and nowadays I am more interested in story, characters, presentation etc...

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
probably Obsidian. The only game I found truly great is PoE, but I respect their coherency and commitment

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I respectes Ninja Theory but didn't care for their games until Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Now I will follow them closer.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part Nintendo, at least in terms of the games they make in house. Zelda has always been the one thing from them that I've really cared about and even that is in doubt now

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Another point for Blizzard. I have no interest in their games, but clearly they know how to make a quality game.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum Games: Well to be fair I've only tried Bayonetta, but it took 2 chapters for me to realize the game wasn't for me. At all. Would like to give them another chance though.

Sony Santa Monica: As with Platinum, I tried God of War and that game... Yeah, no. That game wasn't for me, and I got tired of having to mash buttons plus the way the enemies would stun you for so long, and it put me off the franchise. You can see they were aiming for spectacle, and they look to be really good at pushing hardware past what you'd think it could do, but IMO the underlying game needs to be fun and in the case of GoW HD it wasn't for me.

For the both of them it really looks like they try and give you a polished game with a lot of flair and style, and they both look like they're good at doing so, which I appreciate. Platinum also seems to have a lot of versatility in their portfolio, so it wouldn't take as long for me to give them another shot (hoping to play Nier: Automata at some point, for example). As for Sony Santa Monica I won't give them a chance until they move away from God of War. I think button mashing games aren't my thing though, at all.

Another point for Blizzard. I have no interest in their games, but clearly they know how to make a quality game.

Oh, can't believe I forgot about these guys. Yeah Blizzard would be another one to add to the list for the same reasons.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar, I guess. They are titans of the industry but I can't stand their games. GTA does nothing for me and screw mashing x to run

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Absolutely hated Microsoft from day one... then they bought rare and I felt nothing but loathing ever since. I think it was toward the end of the 360 era where Microsoft was actually making some decisions that gained my respect. xbone came out and they didn't do so hot... but they keep doing things like backwards compatibility and cross platform play... these things have earned my respect at least a bit, and they've gone from a company that I cant stand to a company that I still won't ever buy from ... but they have done a lot of things right in my eyes. (They've done a ton wrong too... but for some reason I respect them for trying)

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Rockstar, outside of Red Dead Redemption. Their games are well crafted and sprawling, with crazy gameplay diversity and polish, but I have never managed to put more than a few hours into a GTA game.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo. I really wanted to be captivated by their games but they never keep me interested for long.

Fedele

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard. Great structure, great knowledge of their market and audience but I just don't like any of their games.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I have huge respect for Nintendo - they represent Quality even tough i hardly play their games

Im also always happy to see them doing well since i think their presence is important for the gaming industry

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo.

I have an immense amount of respect for them, what they do for the industry and the talent they cultivate. However, their games have zero appeal for me. I have to force my self to play most of their games. While I can acknowledge their quality and design, I feel no excitement from it.