• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Monolith (Productions)
Rockstar

I also kinda like Ubisoft but the last game from one of their studios I actually enjoyed was Rayman Legends.

Oct 26, 2017
From Software - I can acknowledge that they're good at their craft and that they managed to capture a dedicated following and produce a new sub-genre to boot, or which they're far and away the best, but I loathed the likes of Demon Souls and Bloodborne. Being punished for simple mistakes isn't my idea of fun. I prefer a bit of leeway and like to fool around and do dumb stuff here and there so their games don't do much for me

A majority of Sony's first party studios - They're no doubt talented and always seem to push their consoles to their limits, especially Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studio. But I'm indifferent to most of their output. The only major games I'm looking forward from them and the only ones I actually did have strong interest in are Ghost of Tsushima and the Shadow of the Colossus remake. inFAMOUS: Second Son was pretty disappointing and what they first showed off didn't do much for me

Retro Studios - Again, talented studio with a ton of great games under their belt. But, man, I just don't care too much about their output. I like Metroid and Donkey Kong just fine but I never found myself loving them. I only merely liked them. A bit hard to explain why but I never found their games to be stellar, personally. Still I can acknowledge that they're top notch developers

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo. Haven't dug into a Nintendo game since New Super Mario Bros on the Nintendo DS, but damn if I don't respect what they do.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro Studios. they're high quality, but they make nothing I find desirable

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Bethesda.

I have owned every Bethesda game ever because I really like the idea of all of them, and the stories are damn good. I just find them incredibly boring in action, probably due to my completionist brain, where I have to complete every thing I come across.. Maybe when I give Fallout 4 another chance I'll like it more I don't know. I have yet to ever finish the story in any of their games because of getting side tracked doing side quests for hours.

Also From Software. The only game they have launched that I've beaten was Armored core 2, and I got to the end of Kuon, but I am referencing more of the souls series. I own all of them, on multiple platforms, and have yet to ever beat the third boss on any of them other than Bloodborne. I can't memorize layouts of levels for the life of me so I feel like I'm constantly lost and don't want to go the wrong way so I get overwhelmed and turn it off.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar, I guess. They are titans of the industry but I can't stand their games. GTA does nothing for me and screw mashing x to run
I believe in GTA V, first-person view, you only have to hold it.

You can also mark me down for Blizzard. The only series of theirs I can really get into is Diablo.

I guess I could say Naughty Dog. I loved Crash back in the day. I like all of the Uncharted games I've played, minus the first, but once I beat them, I have no desire to replay. I prefer more than a linear scripted sequence of events. Besides collectibles, why should I go back? What's changed? In Uncharted 4's case, it was a good movie with some gameplay here and there to break it up but way too much climbing. The pacing was terrible. However, it's one of the few games where the story kept me engaged more so than the gameplay. In the end, I prefer gameplay over all else. I don't care if the story is shit as long as the gameplay is good. I'm also not a fan of the whole zombie/survival thing TLOU is all about. But their games are solid and the ride is usually enjoyable I just have no desire repeat it and I always appreciate and invest more time in games with high replay value.

BioWare. I suck at Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, and any RPG where I need to manage a party. I keep trying to get into their games but have a very hard time. I was only able to beat Mass Effect 3.

I've gained more respect for Ubisoft recently. A lot of their previous games all felt the same to me. They don't create bad open worlds but I feel like you're way to restricted when it comes to freedom. Blips and activities are all over the place but strip all of that out and the world's are pretty lifeless, or contain repetitive dynamic events. But I do enjoy the actual gameplay in most of their games, despite any repetition and that's usually what keeps me going. Not a fan of uPlay or the social gaming aspect they're going with but whatever. AC: Origins looks really cool.

Telltale Games. I have no real qualms with the company or issue with their games per se. I just don't get the graphic adventure genre.

Capcom. Besides questioning some of their decision-making, I respect them as a company. I only recently got into Resident Evil 4 and 5 after trying for years and finally not giving up. I don't know if I want to replay them, though. As a fan of action games I thought I would love 6 but, no, it's terrible. They do have other interesting IP's that I respect but just can't get into. I do like Mega Man.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
From Software. Dark Souls are wonderfully beautiful games, but I just don't care for playing them at all.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo. They obviously make a lot of well crafted polished games but relatively few of them appeal to my tastes.

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft. I don't play many of their games and while a lot of their major titles feel pretty homogeneous, they're very good at releasing new IPs, supporting smaller digital titles and putting minority characters as central protagonists in their games.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Naughty Dog
Beautiful games. Interesting characters and stories. However the gameplay just doesn't hold up for me. It's an almost "popcorn" experience as a result.

Rockstar
Amazing world building. Lots of fun to mess around in. I haven't been motivated to finish any of their games (even though I really want to give GTAV a try again).

From Software (specifically their Soulsborne titles)
I've only finished Dark Souls 1 and I've attempted all the other games, but I generally get about 20 hours in and then I lose interest.
It's a shame really as BloodBorne has such an incredible world and art design.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft when they still had lots of stuff coming, i respect em but i did not really like those titles altho Halo 1 was amazing i admit.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo.

They make some truly amazing stuff, but it's usually in genre I don't really enjoy playing myself. So I usually don't finish them.

Love watching them get speed run though.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Atlus has a lot of quality games, and seems to have managed their budgets well to be able to keep making great games.

I feel that their games aren't my type. While I like certain JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Bravely Default and Xenoblade, I don't seem to understand the appeal of what Atlus provides in this realm. I think it's the fact that their RPGs play something like a visual novel, but I liked a more direct approach in controlling the characters instead. I am not sure if that's what you would describe their style of RPGs, but the few Atlus RPGs I played wasn't really that interesting to me.

Thank you for reading.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Irrational Games and Naughty Dog.

I respect what they're trying to do from a storytelling perspective but I've always struggled to enjoy playing through them because I always feel like I'm on rails, moving through various set pieces.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Paradox Interactive. I don't think I'll ever properly get into any of their insane history games, but I have respect that there's one company mad enough to make them and be successful at it. They also support their games for a loooong time when they could just be churning out sequels instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog.

They make really well made and pretty games, but their games always have very generic and standard gameplay that I can't enjoy.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not a company but: Fumito Ueda.

I just find his games really dull and boring. And I know it's me because most people consider them bonafide classics. Even Hidetaka Miyazaki says SOTC was basically the reason he became a game dev so my favorite series only exists because of him.

But I just can't enjoy his games, they bore the hell out of me.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Nintendo. I recognize the quality in the gameplay, but I'm just not the target audience for that anymore and the recent stuff doesn't pull on my nostalgia strings hard enough for me to look past alot of the stuff that quite frankly is directed solely at kids.

Edit: Ah! I see I'm not alone in this.

Oct 28, 2017
sadly i dont know nintendo devs by name so im just gonna say nintendo, i appreciate the high level of quality they put out but outside of most variations of mario i dont really enjoy any other game they make

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo.

I admire their dedication to quality and pure gamelay, with an incredible attention to detail and being uncompromising / perfectionists on what they do...

But what they do ... actually do not interest me, at 95%.

I literally have little to no interest in Mario anything (be it platform, Smash or kart) Pokemon, Splatoon, Kirby, Metroid, F Zero, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong...

The only reason I even consider a Switch atm is BotW and possibly the upcoming Xenoblade 2 in fact (and maybe Odyssey for the kids). But is that enough?

Time will tell.

Edit: wow, looks like I'm not alone, and I thought my opinion was going to be controversial/ isolated.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard. Their fans are super passionate and the games seem to be high quality. I just have no interest in their products at all.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the Sony first party studios. They don't focus on the gameplay enough for me. Last of Us story was amazing though and probably the best game of that kind of game they make and the first game of that kind that I completed from them. I appreciate some of it, but I can't get into most of it. Basically when I saw the new God of War and how it plays I'm one of those people that feel the franchise is ruined due to its new story focus and slower less flashy looking gameplay (but focusing on intensity and impact instead), but realize also that some people are into that.

Oct 27, 2017
I have respect for all developers that manage to make and release a thing, no matter if they're a big AAA developer or tiny indie studio. Making games is hard, y'all.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Total War series. So boring but people seem to love them and they just put out the entire map from Warhammer 1 as free dlc? Good on them

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
From software and rockstar there games just arent for me but you cant argue with results especially when it comes to GTA

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus. Jrpgs in general, especially very anime ones like that aren't for me at all. They all seem like very polished good games though.

From software too, those games aren't really for me either.

I know these two picks will probably be extremely unpopular here. My tastes aren't too aligned with here sometimes.

Last edited:

Morthbound

Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog broke my heart with the direction they took Jak 2. I LOVED Jak 1 but ND just doesn't seem interested in making games like Jak 1 and Crash anymore. It's great that they are recognized as one of the greatest developers ever but the games they make now just aren't for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely CD Projekt. The Witcher games are high quality and good I just can't get into them for some reason. Respectable company and I love their PR stuff. They seem like they genuinely care. I'm hoping cyberpunk appeals to me

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
Bethesda, mainly because I don't enjoy first person games. That said I can still ackowledge the quality of it's games.

Rockstar too. I don't like any of it's games but I can't argue about the quality.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose Frictional. I've always appreciated what they were going for with Penumbra/Amnesia and I really wanted to get SOMA. But I can't play horror games where you need to hide from shit.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog. I absolutely dislike their games. But I won't deny they make great games with high production values.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog
Rockstar

I think they make fantastic games (genuinely)... for people with tastes different than my own.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Valve, took the craziness of PC gaming downloading and made it organized through their store and as a central hub of sorts for the platform. Also, they're pretty good about sales of pc downloads. However, I do not like their games at all. The only one I kinda liked were the Portal games, but only for the idea of the series, not the games itself.

I kinda respect those big companies like EA that can get idiots to give them all their money. By respect though I mean I wish I was able to make bank like crazy off of people that follow me blindly as they throw their wallets at me. /s

Riou

Oct 26, 2017
Atlus. I can see they make quality games but for some reason I can never seem to get into them.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Quantic Dream. Beautiful games and ambitious storytelling, I just don't like the QTEs to move the storyline forward.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I respect that Naughty Dog has earned their place as a reliable studio that puts out games that people generally like, but I honestly couldn't name a single ND game that I've really enjoyed.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another one for Naughty Dog. I see them as the antithesis of Nintendo. High production value, intricate animations, believable voice acting, natural script work. Their games always look graphically impressive and they are able to create excellent action set pieces using linear game design. None of that is important to me.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
From software - I didn't like any of their games, but i can see were its the quality.
Also, i never understand people saying "give x franchise to from", like, they are good but not every genre needs to shift to a souls style

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paradox Interactive. I don't think I'll ever properly get into any of their insane history games, but I have respect that there's one company mad enough to make them and be successful at it. They also support their games for a loooong time when they could just be churning out sequels instead.

That's what I came here to post. Love their games, love reading about playthroughs and watching them be played, but they're just way too esoteric and complicated for me. Shine on with your weird, janky, interlinked strategy universe.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
CD Projekt RED

I mean, I enjoyed The Witcher 3, but never managed to get into the first two at all, despite many attempts. But they're incredible devs regardless, and their commitment to their craft is their best quality. I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, I have good chances of enjoying that one too.